Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture.JPG
Chekov_ceti_eel.jpg
st.JPG
IMG_20150318_125907_852.jpg
971805_10151424896140509_902075429_n.jpg
image.jpg

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago

I've got a bug for you. My wife used to very much dislike my STLE and now with the upgrade she is trashing my high scores. She says she wants to move the machine out to a more prominent place in my game room so she can get a better view of the light show...and she used to be so happy with her TOM..

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from stephflipp:

Don't like the fact that lights move from the ship even if i understand what Dwight said about it

I think of it like this- it's nice to see a different effect than it always shooting away from you.

It would be neat to have the 'torpedo' be a very quick lamp effect up the middle (strobe the yellows, then the vengeance chain), followed by the flash, boom and red coming back at you. Maybe in an update..

#153 9 years ago

On my first post I was referring to the ship outline cut into the side armor. I assume that one is the Enterprise. However, I realized my post was ambiguous, so I made a second post to clarify. This time referring to the larger model ship,the Vengeance, by name.

As far as the flippers activating the side cab lasers during multiball, I will check. So far I've only noticed them going off when locking a ball under the Vengeance for KMB, and when using a torpedo against the Vengeance.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from stephflipp:

I checked my LE and 2 connectors were unplugged in the back of my cabinet (because of playfield removals i think)
It's working now with torpedos
Don't like the fact that lights move from the ship even if i understand what Dwight said about it
But very happy to see LE features coded !
I want to try red leds for the asteroids, could be awesome

I agree, I don't understand why when you fire torpedos at the Vengeance the side lasers fire the wrong way? It looks ridiculous this way IMHO. I think when you fire(torpedos, etc) the red lights should go towards the Vengeance. If they want to indicate a hit on the Vengeance why not splash the inserts on the playfield in a quick outward flash away from the Vengeance? I think done right this would be way more effective and very cool. They had a feature like this in 1.5 where the inserts flashed upwards towards the Vengeance each time a ball was launched via the punch it button. Sadly this very cool effect was deleted with 1.6/1.61 for some reason? I really feel like the LE features are worse with this update for this reason. Premium and Pro owners will be unaware since neither have the laser etched LED's in the side armor. However I'll bet they lost the insert chase light effect during ball launch also. I think it would be really cool if the inserts chased away from the Vengeance towards the flippers each time the kick back under the Vengeance fires. I think it would be really cool to also pulse the LED's on the side armor towards the flippers when the Vengeance kick back fires the ball at you. I really hope these things get attention for the LE's before they pull the plug on updates.

#155 9 years ago

When awarded Galactic Spinner from the Away Team shot, the light under the spinner is not flashing? Same for the ramps when awarded from Away Team?

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

When awarded Galactic Spinner from the Away Team shot, the light under the spinner is not flashing? Same for the ramps when awarded from Away Team?

Still needs polish on the lamp effects for sure. Your comments show that's its not only the LE with problems. Some other things I have seen(on my LE): The speaker emblems only light during attract mode. Same for S.T. emblems on the side of the head. Have not seen the LED's above the slings light except in attract either. The change to the red lasers going the wrong way and the ball launch chase light delete bugs me more than any of this stuff though. I think I am going to order a speaker lighting kit for my LE and just have them on all the time. Those would give a much brighter look anyway. The emblems on the side of the head do light up nice when they are lit, wish they would just stay on during play.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from PlayPin:

Still needs polish on the lamp effects for sure.

Steve said as much at his talk last night. They are aware of a few small issues in the 1.61 code, but was said he was happy with the code as is and wouldn't commit on if we would see any further releases (but did not close the door on the possibility).

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Steve said as much at his talk last night. They are aware of a few small issues in the 1.61 code, but was said he was happy with the code as is and wouldn't commit on if we would see any further releases (but did not close the door on the possibility).

I would hope there would be at least one more update that would fix some known bugs.

Additionally, some scoring tweaks should also be considered. The warp ramp for instance.

Lastly, the Black Hole is still pretty lame. There are like 3 ways to get 200,000 points. Perhaps some more awards such as:
Different point values
Award 1, 2, or 3 lit shots in a mode
Advance warp ramp

And if they really wanted to be generous, a proper warp 9.9 mb would be awesome.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What talk was this? I can't believe they would be aware of bugs but not say that they would at least fix them.

#160 9 years ago

Playing some today and I'm thinking with the new added value the bonuses bring that the soft plunge skill shot shouldn't be used.

That skill shot is worth 500,000

If you just plunge to the pops. You light a lane(or more), score some points from the pops and the ramp is still worth 250,000.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Playing some today and I'm thinking with the new added value the bonuses bring that the soft plunge skill shot shouldn't be used.
If you just plunge to the pops. You light a lane(or more), score some points from the pops and the ramp is still worth 250,000.

Thanks for your advise on my STLE drop target issue . I still like the soft plunge for the WARP ramp just for 'shits and giggle's' . But you make a valid point .

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I like the skill shot with the right flipper button. It pays a lot plus gives you a warp if you make it. And, if you miss, then you go into the pops, get to light some lanes, and still get a shot at the warp ramp.

#163 9 years ago

As a Star Trek owner, I feel super happy with the code as it stands. Dwight came in and solved all the issues with the game. It's great now. The team probably had to fight hard for the time it took to get this done. And 1.61 from 1.60 came fast. I don't feel that they need to try to fix every super small bug - some of which probably aren't even bugs. Trying to get from 98% to 100% in code often can take as long as getting from 0-98% and the rewards just aren't worth it. The game feels plenty polished. I think it's time for the team to move onto the next project. If there's a new release someday, great but I wouldn't expect one or feel cheated if one never came.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As a Star Trek owner, I feel super happy with the code as it stands. Dwight came in and solved all the issues with the game. It's great now. The team probably had to fight hard for the time it took to get this done. And 1.61 from 1.60 came fast. I don't feel that they need to try to fix every super small bug - some of which probably aren't even bugs. Trying to get from 98% to 100% in code often can take as long as getting from 0-98% and the rewards just aren't worth it. The game feels plenty polished. I think it's time for the team to move onto the next project. If there's a new release someday, great but I wouldn't expect one or feel cheated if one never came.

Well said

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

You raise good points. I don't know much about polishing code. Truth is, I didn't really notice the bugs in 1.5. Perhaps because they mostly affected the better players. I've noticed a few in 1.6 so I'm more attune to them. However, the code is awesome, and the bugs I've seen seem to be relatively minor. So if not possible to get to 100%, I'm still happy.

#166 9 years ago

Where the heck have I been??? I was about to post about the level 3 bug with the missions not starting with 0 shots left when I saw v 1.61 is out. Duh...
V1.61 – 03 / 19 / 2015
======================
1. Fix - Warp ramp exit was playing sounds in test, game over, et cetera.
2. Fix - Game Audit #39, KLINGON M.B. DOUBLE SUPER JACKPOTS, was too long to fit on the screen.
3. Fix - When level III missions timed out and then restarted their resume data was not getting cleared. You could create a situation where the mission would start on the next ball with 0 shots left.
4. Added - Background apron lamps during double scoring.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Nero 2 still needs to be fixed.

Rob

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Nero 2 still needs to be fixed.
Rob

I've never noticed a problem on Nero 2. What is it?

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I've never noticed a problem on Nero 2. What is it?

Many said Nero 2 had problems in 1.5, especially with multiplayer where shots would not re-lite. Something was done to fix this, but there's still 1 more problem. There's an adjustment setting for a Nero 2 timer, but Nero 2 doesn't use a timer. While the timer doesn't affect the mission, it does affect the inserts and how they behave. When the timer (which you can't see) reaches 0, the inserts flicker so fast that you cannot tell which one is the two color shot. The two colour shots are required for medals.

Rob

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Many said Nero 2 had problems in 1.5, especially with multiplayer where shots would not re-lite. Something was done to fix this, but there's still 1 more problem. There's an adjustment setting for a Nero 2 timer, but Nero 2 doesn't use a timer. While the timer doesn't affect the mission, it does affect the inserts and how they behave. When the timer (which you can't see) reaches 0, the inserts flicker so fast that you cannot tell which one is the two color shot. The two colour shots are required for medals.
Rob

Understood. That said, it is always the same shots that you need for the medals on Nero 2. Are you sure that the timer doesn't do anything like affect the points that are awarded? Perhaps the quicker you are, the more points you get? Though if I recall correctly, it is reset if you lose a ball, so perhaps not. Can you just increase the timer to a point where it is not a problem?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#171 9 years ago

Or you could simply not adjust the Nero 2 timer, since you saiid the mode has no timer and not experience the flashing inserts. I certainly wouldn't waste coding cycles on that.

#172 9 years ago

I found ALL of the points.

Once you get the double super jackpot from kligon mb. The rest of the playfield lights up for jackpot shots. However, once you make a shot, it almost immediately relights. With some ball control you could hold a ball cradled on the right while looping the alpha with your left flipper. Get some multipliers involved and this could add up big.

During the game once I realized what was going on, I tweaked out, made maybe 1 more shot and drained. Ended up getting about 125mil for the mb.

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I found ALL of the points.
Once you get the double super jackpot from kligon mb. The rest of the playfield lights up for jackpot shots. However, once you make a shot, it almost immediately relights. With some ball control you could hold a ball cradled on the right while looping the alpha with your left flipper. Get some multipliers involved and this could add up big.
During the game once I realized what was going on, I tweaked out, made maybe 1 more shot and drained. Ended up getting about 125mil for the mb.

Sounds awesome and well deserved to me. Not like a bug. Getting a sjp in any mb can be tough. I'll try to see if I can work that strategy to my benefit.

#174 9 years ago

I just pulled off double scoring right before starting Kobashi, and got over 60 million for my medals alone. OH YEAH!!

Another fun thing to try is to stack Nero 1 away team (hit red matter targets) during Klingon MB. If you hit the ramps - great! If you brick the shot - great! Huge scores here....now, I wonder if I could stack that with double scoring? Hmmmm.....

Loving the new code.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Can you just increase the timer to a point where it is not a problem?

I set it to 60. the maximum allowed.

Rob

#176 9 years ago

Hmm. I noticed the same thing happens with the inserts on STE2. The more time goes by, the faster they start to flash even though there is no timer. Are we really sure this is a bug and not something to do with scoring?

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hmm. I noticed the same thing happens with the inserts on STE2. The more time goes by, the faster they start to flash even though there is no timer. Are we really sure this is a bug and not something to do with scoring?

It's probably the same bug, except there's no STE2 timer adjustment in the game (I just looked). On timed missions the inserts start to blink quicker as the timer get close to running out. When the timer reaches 0 on timed missions (tier 2 or 3), the mission ends. On the affected, non timed missions it just leaves the inserts flickering at a really fast rate. I noticed this bug back in 1.5 and posted about it in the 1.5 bugs thread. Unfortunately it never got fixed. I'm not sure if there are any other missions affected or not. I'm pretty sure it's a bug since the Nero 2 timer setting affects how long (or short) it takes the inserts to begin fast flickering. The mission end callout is now missing from Nero 2..

Of any remaining issues I would like this to be fixed.

Rob

#178 9 years ago

Well, until they fix it, or if they never fix it, I will just consider the fast blinking lights the pin's way of telling me, "Hurry up and finish the mission. I'm getting bored."

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sounds awesome and well deserved to me. Not like a bug. Getting a sjp in any mb can be tough. I'll try to see if I can work that strategy to my benefit.

Never said it was a bug, rather an observation.

It is certainly tough to do. With the new code though it is worth trying. Under 1.5 if I didn't have a mode running during the mb, there wasn't much motivation to keep on keeping on. Now with this potentially insane amount of points, klingon mb is more important than ever.

Really though, the double super jackpot call-out is always worth battling for.

Was also thinking about a code addition that could drive ST owners crazy for a lifetime. A wizard mode started after KM, EA, or 5YM that only starts if you got all gold medals! Or maybe just make it after 5YM.

I'm sure it won't happen, but a boy can dream.

1 week later
#180 8 years ago
Quoted from Gibo:

I have had this issue numerous times on all late model Sterns,
It is a connector issue on the trough opto boards as stated earlier,
replace both connectors with molex type connectors to fix the problem.
Definitely not a software bug.
I make a point of changing these connectors on my customers machines when ever I get the opportunity.
Stern themselves have updated these connectors to a molex style connector on the very latest titles.

My flippers go dead, but it's only happened twice, on my last ball during STE when the ball is kicked into the left inlane. Could you point me in the direction of where to purchase the correct connectors to fix this? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#181 8 years ago

Played a Pro on location for the first time since they updated. It was a part of an event and I don't think a single one of us got Klingon MB. At least not when I was paying attention or asking around. Late in the event we noticed that when you qualified the ball lock, both inserts would light up. Hitting one didn't really indicate much, but not sure if both now need to be hit per ball. Can anyone clue me in as to what I need to be looking for?

#182 8 years ago

Ball locks have not changed. You light the lock with the targets which lights the two lock inserts. The drop target drops and should catch the ball. The start mission/ball lock should also hold the ball for a bit. On both you should get notified of which ball lock it is on screen. KMB has a theatrical intro so hard to miss. Sometimes there is a lot of other things being displayed on screen but should hear the ball lock sound. Maybe there is a setting to make it harder to get KMB but pretty easy by default.

#183 8 years ago

Here's a bug (I think):

I finished Kobayashi MB, and still had two balls in play. Once I hit the last Kobayashi shot, it started a level 2 mode automatically. Shouldn't I get to choose what mode I want to start?

#184 8 years ago

What is required to get the spotlights and asteroids to light up now on the STLE versions? While playing, I still cant tell if mine light at all...

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Here's a bug (I think):
I finished Kobayashi MB, and still had two balls in play. Once I hit the last Kobayashi shot, it started a level 2 mode automatically. Shouldn't I get to choose what mode I want to start?

My pro did this as well. (Its not a bug, and it is kinda)
If every opto is not 100% the game does wierd things with the new code.
Phantom mode starts are the most common.

Reseat every opto board plug in your game and you will notice it will go away.
(Worked on mine, i posted this earlier in the thread)

The game did not do this with 1.5. My guess is they possibly upped the sensitivity of the optos in the new code.

I may have to start hot glueing the plugs to the boards as after about 30 games I noticed it doing wierd things again
And sure enough some of the opto plugs had shifted a bit loose.
The most common ones are the trough optos. (These have always been an issue)
But I also noticed the boards for the vengence white plugs sort of tilted to one side.

Also my game has a shaker.

Anyone else.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

There is a bug with the Nero 2 timer.
I posted earlier in the thread as well.
With klingon multiball in nero 2 it will not register shots to nero.
Once KMB is over the nero inserts will relight.
And after shots the timer clearly shows shots left on the DMD. It will show 10. Then 0. Then 10, then 0 after making each lit shot.
So there is an issue where the timer still being in the code is causing an error
Then the mode will complete.
Multiball lock and start on mode select nero 2 start is the trigger.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

My pro did this as well. (Its not a bug, and it is kinda)
If every opto is not 100% the game does wierd things with the new code.
Phantom mode starts are the most common.
Reseat every opto board plug in your game and you will notice it will go away.
(Worked on mine, i posted this earlier in the thread)
The game did not do this with 1.5. My guess is they possibly upped the sensitivity of the optos in the new code.
I may have to start hot glueing the plugs to the boards as after about 30 games I noticed it doing wierd things again
And sure enough some of the opto plugs had shifted a bit loose.
The most common ones are the trough optos. (These have always been an issue)
But I also noticed the boards for the vengence white plugs sort of tilted to one side.
Also my game has a shaker.
Anyone else.

My game doesn't do this. I did have some issues with the vengeance optos in 1.5 but the update fixed those. Once in a while, it will automatically register a hit the instant the ball is shot into the vengeance to start the vengeance scoring mode. I think my game might of started a mode or two when I first starting playing with the update. I've been playing it a lot and have not seen any issues.

The nero2 bug sounds pretty big. I don't play level 2 modes that often but I will try to play it this weekend and see if I can duplicate the bug.

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

And after shots the timer clearly shows shots left on the DMD. It will show 10. Then 0. Then 10, then 0 after making each lit shot.
So there is an issue where the timer still being in the code is causing an error

There's 2 bugs threads.... Perhaps this one should be closed and we can all post in the other one? I'll check this out with the glass off later.

Rob

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I tried this twice tonight and could not reproduce it.

Rob

#190 8 years ago

Please use the other thread, no need for two.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-v161-bugs

Rob

4 years later
#191 4 years ago

Not sure if this occurred before 1.62 or not. When no mission is active, and you drain, then you can select a new mission at start of next ball.

However, if no mission is active, and the most recent mission was Space Jump, then you are not given the opportunity to select a new mission, you have to launch the ball and then hit one of the "mission select" locations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lexington, SC
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-v16-code-bugs-and-observations/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.