image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey all, in preparation for the new Star Trek we are starting to see a few mods pop up, here is a simple one you can do yourself .

First locate yourself a Hallmark light up USS Kelvin readily found on eBay and Amazon, you should be able to get one for maybe under $40.

You will need:

Razor Blades
Small flathead and small Phillips screwdrivers
Small gauge solid wire
Soldering iron and solder
Super Glue
Tape
Needle Nose pliers

This mod bypasses the button and timer to allow for always on. Simply soldering wires to the contacts in the battery compartment and gluing the button down will not work with this mod.

Step 1: This part takes care and patience. Carefully take a razor blade and slowly slice into the small seal around the edge of the ship on the bottom side. Most of the seal will come up easy but there are about 5 or 6 pegs that are glued tight, you need to pry with the small flathead to pop them loose every inch or so. See pics.

Step 2: Once the two halves are separated you will carefully pull them apart to reveal the small board inside. There are a bunch of wires coming off the board but we are only concerned with 2 of the wires, the red and white wires. (Pic 4)
Desolder both the red and white wires from the board and remove the old solder from the holes. (Pic 5)
You do not need these wires anymore, so just tape them to the inside of the shell. (Pic 6)

Step 3: Cut 2 new pieces of wire about 4 inches long. I used a couple wires from an Ethernet cable. They are small and solid which is what you will need. The reason is because you will later need to feed these wires through a tiny hole and stranded wire won't work.

Step 4: Solder the 2 new wires to the same points from where the red and white wires were removed. At this point you can test the ship lighting with a 4.5v - 5v powered source. The red wire spot is positive and the white wire spot is the negative.

Step 5: Remove the battery cover. You might want to pry up the contact that covers the access hole. Possibly not necessary but helps.

Step 6: Feed the 2 wires through the hole that the rest of the wires are going into. Do 1 at a time and it is a very very tight fit but can be done. Try to feed into the hole and at an angle so that the wires will exit into the battery compartment. Once you see a small tip of the wire come through you can pull it through with some small needle nose pliers.

Step 7: Carefully reassemble the saucer. Careful not to move the red plastic piece. I put a small amount of super glue around the rim inside before closing up.

All done. You now have 2 available wires to connect to leading from the battery compartment. Wire management and mounting are up to you at this point. Good luck and happy modding.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Last photos
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Wow nice Mod!! If I get a pro I would like to make these changes!

Thanks for sharing

#4 10 years ago

Where do you mount this? Wasn't the ship in the movie the enterprise and the ship on the right side on the LE the enterprise?

#5 10 years ago

Cool games not even out more then a week n here come the mods! Can see many more coming for this game.

#6 10 years ago

great job BillE! You should make more of these and sell them on Pinside. If I get a ST, I would definitely buy one from you.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Wasn't the ship in the movie the enterprise and the ship on the right size on the LE the enterprise?

The Kelvin is the ship that Kirk's father was the captain of. It was the opening scene of the first new movie.

The Enterprise was the ship that Kirk finally became the captain of.

#8 10 years ago

I've got cash in hand when your ready to sell.

#9 10 years ago

Thanks a lot for sharing HOW you did the mod and not just looking to make a buck.

#10 10 years ago

Nice

#11 10 years ago

Great mod. Would like to see a enterprise modded up more since the kelvin was only in the 1 st movie for a few minutes.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Cool games not even out more then a week n here come the mods! Can see many more coming for this game.

You said it brother....first bulk order is in here Sketching and brain storming night.
I believe there are multiple opportunities for even more eye-candy on that PF.

#13 10 years ago

Awesome! I can't wait for the mods

#14 10 years ago

I predict these will become hard to find very soon. Lots of pinheads will pick one up.

#15 10 years ago

I'll have the Klingon Battle Cruiser done by tonight and the Enterprise after that, now I was looking at the Enterprise and comparing it to the one on the LE pics and the Hallmark one appears to be much more detailed, might have to swap that one out if it does look better when I get the cab.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I predict these will become hard to find very soon. Lots of pinheads will pick one up.

The Kelvin is one of the current 2013 Trek ornaments so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

However if you want to add the 2010 enterprise to a pro (or replace the less detailed Stern version on the prem/LE) those appear to be more scarce. Look like ebay prices for that are 50-75 on average. I suspect a lot of peole will want to add those to their pro version.

Kinda surprised that stern is only including the enterprise on the LE/prem version.

#17 10 years ago

I have heard nothing but bad things about the 2010 Enterprise from Hallmark. A lot of warped models apparently. Hopefully something else pops up as a suitable replacement. I don't mind spending $50-60 on one if I know it isn't warped, but I guess it is a crap shoot.

#18 10 years ago

One-clicked! Even if I end up not getting the pin, it's a great ornament.

3 months later
#19 10 years ago

I tried modifying my Kelvin, Un soldered the wires from the board and put new ones on. the back red light worked along with the bottom front yellow light but the rear blue light and the front top blue light didn't come on. I figured I got the board too hot so I got another Kelvin. This time I cut the wires instead of de soldering them, long enough to solder my new wires to. (this was easier for me) I hooked the power source up to it, but again the 2 blue lights didn't work. Any ideas what I did wrong or how to fix this?

DSC08113_2.jpgDSC08113_2.jpg DSC08116_2.jpgDSC08116_2.jpg
#20 10 years ago

Nice mod. Very nice of you to take the time to take pictures and right this up.

#21 10 years ago

DSCN0098[1].JPGDSCN0098[1].JPGDSCN0099[1].JPGDSCN0099[1].JPGDSCN0099[1].JPGDSCN0099[1].JPG

Quoted from markmon:Where do you mount this?

I mounted mine in the upper right corner.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from shadowolph:

I tried modifying my Kelvin, Un soldered the wires from the board and put new ones on. the back red light worked along with the bottom front yellow light but the rear blue light and the front top blue light didn't come on. I figured I got the board too hot so I got another Kelvin. This time I cut the wires instead of de soldering them, long enough to solder my new wires to. (this was easier for me) I hooked the power source up to it, but again the 2 blue lights didn't work. Any ideas what I did wrong or how to fix this?

DSC08113_2.jpg 99 KB

DSC08116_2.jpg 128 KB

Add power and poke around with a jumper wire and see if you can get them to light.

4 months later
#23 9 years ago

So this is meant to run at 4.5V, so I suppose 5v is ok and can get that from the harness around the coinbox right? What about hooking it up so that it comes on with Nero? What would be the best bet here?

Ben

#24 9 years ago

BTW thanks BillE for this mod. Worked out exactly as described. Best looking of all the Hallmarks IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-uss-kelvin-diy-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.