star trek red shirt.jpg
star trek pop.jpg
star trek expendability.jpg
0223151904.jpg
0223151902.jpg
0223151901a.jpg
0223151855a.jpg
Happily-ever-after-star-trek-the-original-series-4060168-1600-1200.jpg
There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Maybe when I finish Enterprise I'll have some time to check out Babylon 5.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

You really should...The cgi was top notch for it's time and you really start to know and care about the people and aliens too. The writing and storyline are top notch too.

B5 is a classy, classy show. The sets and stuff are a little lower quality than some of the other stuff we are talking aboot, but it's an extremely well done show. I remember when the the Battlstar reboot came around and the first thing I thought of when looking at the space scenes was; "Looks like Babylon 5."

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

B5 is a classy, classy show

You bet, that's why I've watched the entire series and moves about 6 times now.

#103 9 years ago

But where oh where can you stream it? CanIStream.It is not showing it available anywhere...

#104 9 years ago

Babylon 5 was one of the best shows ever. B5 is why DS9 started getting good. They saw it was possible to actually tell an ongoing story and people would tune in. You don't have to wrap up everything by the end of the episode and start over again the following week. Even TNG fell into that trap and for the most part it doesn't really matter what order you see the episodes in.

B5 was planned from the start as a 5 year story. S1 hits it's stride about midway and once into S2 you can't wait for the next episode. S5 was kind of tacked on because it wasn't sure there would be S5 until after S4 was done so JMS wrapped up the main story in S4. The movies and the spin-off are good too and I heard rumors that they were trying to do more B5.

The newer Battlestar was a great show, for the first few seasons. Then in my opinion it really just fell apart. The last season just never lived up to the expectations.

As for ST I grew up watching TOS and still love it. I didn't start watching TNG until the second season or so because I hated the thought they were trying to redo one of my favorite shows but once I started I enjoyed it.

DS9 didn't start out all that great but once they figured out they could do an ongoing story and got into the Dominion War it got good.

Had high hopes for Voyager. Voyager sucked. Seriously, I hung in but it never got better. Yes Jerry Ryan was nice to look at but the show sucked.

Enterprise had the worst opening. Seriously, why did they think that song would be a good choice and why did they stick with it? The show itself was great. Started a little slow but any new show usually does. One exception is Firefly, that is one show that hit the street running and never looked back, shame what happened to it. Remember watching the first ep when it aired and was blown away. Back to Enterprise I loved it. I liked Bakula from Quantum Leap and they made it an ongoing story instead of week to week storytelling. Plus Jolene Blalock. To me the hottest Vulcan ever and my favorite Trek girl. Yes I would take her over Jerry Ryan any day.

#105 9 years ago

Forgot to say, the funny part about Firefly hitting it right away was they didn't even show the first episode first. The first one they showed was The Train Job which I think was really supposed to be ep5. Had they shown the series in the proper order and advertised it a little it might have fared better. If they had done some promotion for a two-hour movie to start off and put it on a good night who know what could have happened. But then again we are talking about fox, they can ruin anything.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I've really only gotten into scifi recently and I've only watch Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who for the past couple of years. I haven't had time for anything else! What about Battlestar Galactica? I've never seen that either. Maybe when I finish Enterprise I'll have some time to check out Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 is an absolute must for anyone who likes sci-fi. Battlestar Galactica is really good also, but I agree that it went downhill after the first couple seasons. You mentioned that you watched Doctor Who, so I assume you have seen Torchwood. If not, you should definitely check it out (although don't even bother with the last season). I'd also highly recommend Firefly, Farscape, Stargate SG-1, Dollhouse, Orphan Black, Fringe, and The Booth at the End. There are also some great sci-fi shows that only lasted one season but are well worth watching such as Day Break, Journeyman and Tron: Uprising.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

B5 was planned from the start as a 5 year story. S1 hits it's stride about midway and once into S2 you can't wait for the next episode. S5 was kind of tacked on because it wasn't sure there would be S5 until after S4 was done so JMS wrapped up the main story in S4. The movies and the spin-off are good too and I heard rumors that they were trying to do more B5.

The on going storytelling is the reason we had such a tight knit group of between 8-12 watching it at different members houses. They loved to come over to my place because I had a 48in tv with the sound running through my stereo and that show sounded great too because it was in Dolby. All this talk about B5 makes me want to watch the whole thing for the 7th time.

The best scene in the whole series to me was when Susan and Zaththeris had a 4 and a half minute one camera uncut exchange in the tunnel. It was the best.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

One exception is Firefly, that is one show that hit the street running and never looked back

Agreed. There has never been a show that grabbed me as quickly as Firefly. Such a travesty that it got cancelled so quickly.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

But then again we are talking about fox, they can ruin anything.

They didn't ruin B5 thank god and they even foot the bill for the 4 tv B5 movies which really surprised me. They knew they had a winner.

#110 9 years ago

Star Trek was made for color TV. There was and is never anything like it.
1024.eo.SherryJackson.AndreaAndroid.StrTrk.081712.jpg1024.eo.SherryJackson.AndreaAndroid.StrTrk.081712.jpg
diana ewing star trek.jpgdiana ewing star trek.jpg
Happily-ever-after-star-trek-the-original-series-4060168-1600-1200.jpgHappily-ever-after-star-trek-the-original-series-4060168-1600-1200.jpg

#111 9 years ago

Guess I need to check out B5.....never watched it.

On an extremely sad note.....we (my family) were planning to go to Comic-Con in San Diego this year. Well my daughter and I had signed up on their website ( it's only way to have a chance to buy tickets) a long time ago. My wife and son never did. Well when my son finally tried it said he had missed the deadline. We figured it just lessened our chances of being able to purchase tickets.

But no.....I got in early and was brought to the ticket purchasing screen. You are allowed to purchase up to three tickets.......but ONLY for those who had signed up prior to the deadline! So I'm sitting there (with my head in my hands) with the ability to buy tickets for my daughter and I......and I had to pass!

#112 9 years ago

Astro - that is a really sad story. Maybe I'll have to sign up in advance and go in 2016... but I'll probably wait for the 2016 VEGAS con.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Agreed. There has never been a show that grabbed me as quickly as Firefly. Such a travesty that it got cancelled so quickly.

I trashed it before watching it because of all of the hype. I watched it on DVD after it was canceled, and couldn't believe how good it was. How long could it have lasted....who knows but it was good.

Another one of my favorites is FarScape. Great stuff.

#114 9 years ago

B-5 was a great show, except for season 5 which was a let down without Ivonova. It had people from other shows starring in it like Will Robinson from Lost in Space, Chekov from TOS as a villain, Bruce Boxleitner from Tron, and Flounder from Animal House among others...

#115 9 years ago

Love the original series, Next Gen (Picard is my favorite captain and like Data, although Spock is my favorite character overall). Was bored by DS9 until the last year or two when it got really good with episodes that continued the story of Sisko's spiritual development and a plot-line that developed from week to week versus stand alone episodes. Same for Enterprise in its last season or two. I thought Enterprise finally got quite good its last year or so and was disappointed by the decision to kill the show.

Liked the first reboot movie and was quite disappointed in the second one as to a large degree. I felt it blew an opportunity with the new timeline to be creative and unique. Instead it made a poor remake of The Wrath of Khan, IMO. And putting the Enterprise under water with no good explanation--what the heck! Khan with a British accent and reversing Spock's death to Kirk's and having Spock yell "Khan!" The blood from the tribble that was from Khan bringing Kirk back to life. Come on Abrams! Yuck!

Speaking of science fiction I had hoped in the movie Interstellar they would end up on a planet with alien life forms both sentient and interesting. Disappointed by them going to a planet and being betrayed by another astronaut and that whole theme. Thought the movie was decent but not great.

Now I just wish we could get a new Star Trek TV show! And I hope the next movie is better.

I'm disappointed with most of the current Star Trek books as they almost all seem about war and more war and very little space exploration and meeting unique and interesting life forms.

#116 9 years ago

That show was awesome. I remember watching that when it was on.

Quoted from Astropin:

Guess I need to check out B5.....never watched it.

Seriously, everyone here seems to love it.

Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Now I just wish we could get a new Star Trek TV show! And I hope the next movie is better.

Me too! I don't see why the execs aren't grabbing hold of this loyal fan base.

#117 9 years ago

I would rank at:
1. STTNG TV
2. Original Movies
3. STTNG Movies

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Khan with a British accent and reversing Spock's death to Kirk's and having Spock yell "Khan!"

I think they did that because the guy playing Kirk couldn't deliver the line properly or with the needed emotion. Chris Pine is a major wimp next to Quinto.

Another series that doesn't get any attention in America was Starhunter. The first season dvd set is only $7.99 on Amazon. For some reason season 2 is $199?!? They are also in pre-production on a new movie set for release in December.

#119 9 years ago

So I finally got around to taking a few pictures of some of the things I have collected.

First up is about 55% of the 1976 Topps Trek set that has been PSA graded. A detailed breakdown of which can be found here: http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=130757&ac=1

0223151855a.jpg0223151855a.jpg

Next is a few other cards/articles I have. Autographs include Shatner, Nimoy, Takei, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, and Grace Lee Whitney.

0223151901a.jpg0223151901a.jpg

Picard sings backup vocals in my 2-man band.

0223151902.jpg0223151902.jpg

And here's a couple of mylars I picked up. I thought they would look cool in the home theater I'll have someday. I have a few other items here and there like posters etc. I have a HUGE banner from an Into Darkness Movie Stop release party I won from a raffle. Pretty modest I'd say, but I haven't been collecting for that long.

0223151904.jpg0223151904.jpg
#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Another one of my favorites is FarScape. Great stuff.

Farscape is probably my favorite sci-fi show of all time. It was just so much different than anything else that aired before or since, and it was brilliantly executed. Too bad it got cancelled after Season 4, but at least we got a mini-series to somewhat wrap things up. In retrospect, it's amazing that we even got that many episodes. The show was ridiculously expensive to produce. I can't wait to show it to my kids one day, but they're not quite old enough yet. Despite the fact that it featured Muppets, it often dealt with very mature themes.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

Another series that doesn't get any attention in America was Starhunter.

I've never even heard of it.

Edit....looks like you can buy the entire series (22 episodes) from Amazon for $8

#122 9 years ago

star trek expendability.jpgstar trek expendability.jpg
#123 9 years ago

I read somewhere, in terms of percentages, where you're statistically more likely to be killed wearing gold than red. There are far more operations crew members on the Enterprise than science or command.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Farscape is probably my favorite sci-fi show of all time.

I know that has a rabid following but I could never get into it.

How aboot Lexx? That's a seriously original one right there.

#125 9 years ago

star trek pop.jpgstar trek pop.jpg
#126 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I read somewhere, in terms of percentages, where you're statistically more likely to be killed wearing gold than red.

Oh, I don't know about that....

star trek red shirt.jpgstar trek red shirt.jpg
#127 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I know that has a rabid following but I could never get into it. How about Lexx? That's a seriously original one right there.

And I could never get into Lexx. While there are some similarities between the two shows, I always considered Farscape to be vastly superior on almost every level. I know many people disagree with this. It's a debate you see time and time again in online forums. Perhaps I should go back and give Lexx another try. Just have to get through The Wire, True Detective and Fargo first.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've never even heard of it.
Edit....looks like you can buy the entire series (22 episodes) from Amazon for $8

That is only the first season. The second season was actually called Starhunter 2300 which for some reason is $199 on Amazon. Most people haven't heard of it. It was a Canadian show and when I happened to catch it originally it was on at 3 a.m..

#129 9 years ago

Sad day for us Trekkies/Trekkers with the passing of Leonard Nimoy. May he rest in peace. I think we can all agree that in one way or another he had a part in touching our lives, which he was able to do for millions of others as well.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Sad day for us Trekkies/Trekkers with the passing of Leonard Nimoy. May he rest in peace. I think we can all agree that in one way or another he had a part in touching our lives, which he was able to do for millions of others as well.

Well said, a VERY sad day.

#131 9 years ago

Sad day today. I remember meeting Leonard Nimoy when I was 11. He very graciously signed an autograph for me.

I like all the shows with DS9 being my least favorite. I'm a bit partial to Enterprise as we got to visit the set in the second and third seasons and met Connor Trineer and Jolene Blalock. I still kick myself for not asking her if I could take her picture with my daughter. Seeing her stride across the set to us in full makeup/costume with a big smile is an image I'll never forget. And, even from inches away, tge ears looked real!

http://www.justbecauseican.com/enterprise/

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sad day today. I remember meeting Leonard Nimoy when I was 11. He very graciously signed an autograph for me.
I like all the shows with DS9 being my least favorite. I'm a bit partial to Enterprise as we got to visit the set in the second and third seasons and met Connor Trineer and Jolene Blalock. I still kick myself for not asking her if I could take her picture with my daughter. Seeing her stride across the set to us in full makeup/costume with a big smile is an image I'll never forget. And, even from inches away, tge ears looked real!
http://www.justbecauseican.com/enterprise/
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Your lucky to have met him, I never did. I wish they never would have canceled Enterprise, it was the only show I watched every week.

#133 9 years ago

The only actor I consider to have met is Brent Spinner (Data - STNG). I spent several hours with him one afternoon on a 1 on 1 basis.

I stood in lines for nearly every ST actor's autograph; but with the exception of George T ... I didn't really have time to talk with them at length. Well; that isn't true - I had a pinball chat with Jonathan Frakes ... so that was cool.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your lucky to have met him, I never did. I wish they never would have canceled Enterprise, it was the only show I watched every week.

He (Nimoy) was doing Fiddler on the Roof in a summer theater in Massachusetts. I remember sneaking around to where he came off the stage at intermission. I remember that he was surprised, but he signed my program and chatted with me for a few minutes. Sadly, the program was probably tossed when my Mom got rid of my comic books.

When my daughter saw/met Trineer, he signed a photo for her and we took some pics with her/him, but she was SO disappointed to see that he smoked (he was on a smoking in costume when we met him).

Enterprise got so much better when Manny took over and was so close to being renewed for S5.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

The only actor I consider to have met is Brent Spinner (Data - STNG). I spent several hours with him one afternoon on a 1 on 1 basis.
I stood in lines for nearly every ST actor's autograph; but with the exception of George T ... I didn't really have time to talk with them at length. Well; that isn't true - I had a pinball chat with Jonathan Frakes ... so that was cool.

Way cool.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

He (Nimoy) was doing Fiddler on the Roof in a summer theater in Massachusetts. I remember sneaking around to where he came off the stage at intermission. I remember that he was surprised, but he signed my program and chatted with me for a few minutes. Sadly, the program was probably tossed when my Mom got rid of my comic books.
When my daughter saw/met Trineer, he signed a photo for her and we took some pics with her/him, but she was SO disappointed to see that he smoked (he was on a smoking in costume when we met him).
Enterprise got so much better when Manny took over and was so close to being renewed for S5.

Another great story. Thanks. You people were so lucky.

#137 9 years ago

I talked to a guy on the outdoor set of a movie called A Simple Plan for about 10 minutes then he went on set and started acting with Bill Paxton and I said to my self "I wonder who that was". A few hours later after the wrap I found out it had been Billy Bob Thornton, his makeup and costume were that good, he was really nice to talk to. I also got to talk to Bill Paxton for a while the same day but I knew who he was. Sam Rami let me shoot some personal video on that outdoor shoot too.

3 weeks later
#138 9 years ago

Bump. Somebody drop some Trek knowledge.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Bump. Somebody drop some Trek knowledge.

I don't know if any of you have watched the new "Jack and Triumph Show" on Adult Swim, but there was a segment in the pilot that had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. They are at New York Comic Con, and Triumph approaches Brent Spiner. He proceeds to hurl some great insults at him. The last one was so funny that even Marina Sirtis sitting next to him started cracking up.

#140 9 years ago
nimoy_spock06.jpgnimoy_spock06.jpg
#141 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know if any of you have watched the new "Jack and Triumph Show" on Adult Swim, but there was a segment in the pilot that had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. They are at New York Comic Con, and Triumph approaches Brent Spiner. He proceeds to hurl some great insults at him. The last one was so funny that even Marina Sirtis sitting next to him started cracking up.

You should have seen Jack and Triumph (Robert Smigel) at San Diego Comic con last year!
IMG_0156.JPGIMG_0156.JPG
... and the panel was hosted by Leonard Maltin (and he got the treatment from triumph!).
IMG_0154.JPGIMG_0154.JPG
Now post more Trek.

#142 9 years ago

There are a few reports floating around about CBS talking about a new Trek series. Trekcore.com had an article up about it for about 30 minutes, and then they took it down. Perhaps CBS is trying to keep it secret?

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-tv-show-federation-cbs-bryan-singer/

This could be a HUGE win. Either way, it's forcing CBS to at least look into it. It's creating quite a buzz.

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

There are a few reports floating around about CBS talking about a new Trek series. Trekcore.com had an article up about it for about 30 minutes, and then they took it down. Perhaps CBS is trying to keep it secret?
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-tv-show-federation-cbs-bryan-singer/
This could be a HUGE win. Either way, it's forcing CBS to at least look into it. It's creating quite a buzz.

I read that in Latino Report last week. I would tune in every week even if I were dead. I pray it's true. Every Trek fan should read it.

#144 9 years ago

I was at some guys house in NH buying a Funhouse and a Slugfest and he says ''hey, I'll give you a good deal on a STTNG''
I had no real interest in anything Star Trek, but knew the praise the game has received, so I said sure, why not.

It was a nightmare and a half to get working properly, but I absolutely fell in love with the gameplay. So much so I wanted to know what the hell they were talking about in the game! I had no idea, I had never watched Star Trek anything before in my life.
So I started watching Next Gen on netflix and a little of the original, and started to dig it. Watched the new movies, thought those were great. Traded up my STTNG for the Stern version but I'll have a STTNG again someday. (I also have a cpr'ed Bally version)

Make it so!

#145 9 years ago

That's so awesome. I love how Trek and pinball marry together so well. You should definitely check out the other series as well - Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. They each have something to offer. They get better as you move through the seasons too.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

. You should definitely check out the other series as well - Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. They each have something to offer. They get better as you move through the seasons too.

Sorry, I have to disagree, Voyager never gets better. It get a little less annoying but never gets good.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from HFK:

It get a little less annoying but never gets good.

Seven of Nine saved that show. Not only is Jeri Ryan hotter than Hell, but her character gives the show a great deal more substance. Borg episodes were always something to look forward to. However, DS9 was better all around. Voyager ended well, but there was some garbage in the middle sometimes.

I would REALLY love to see CBS do the HD treatment for both of those. I'd buy them just for completeness. The new Blurays make TNG and TOS look gorgeous. Having the colors pop off the screen like they do makes them worth watching all over again.

#148 9 years ago

I need a great new pinball based on the OG series or lets say The Wrath of Khan, would love to see Heighway make it. Think of the center playfield LCD with Khan appearing periodically to taunt during Nebula Multiball.

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I need a great new pinball based on the OG series or lets say The Wrath of Khan

I would LOVE to see this. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone will do it since there was something similar done only a few years ago. Unlike Alien, there are already 4 Star Trek machines available (5 if you count Gottlieb's). I think it would sell really well though if they could add in some features we have yet to see in a Trek game.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I would LOVE to see this. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone will do it since there was something similar done only a few years ago. Unlike Alien, there are already 4 Star Trek machines available (5 if you count Gottlieb's). I think it would sell really well though if they could add in some features we have yet to see in a Trek game.

I think a Wrath of Khan pin would sell real fast, but that could just be because I want it so badly. I think the idea of on playfield LCD acting as the "on screen" would be amazing. What a shame that Stern Startrek didn't have a JJP style LCD with all the on screen exchanges with Nero and what not. Thats where it would really shine, same even with Alien or other futuristic style themes.

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tvmovies/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.