Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by u2sean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys I'm working on a Star Trek: The Next Generation and most of my solenoids aren't working. I picked up the project where somebody left but I discovered that the 8-driver pcb had a meltdown so I got a new board from rottendog and replaced a few fuses on the wpc driver board and the only solenoids working are the two gun motors. Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

If the diode tie back wire is off of the drop target coil, you likely blew up the new board again.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

I don't see any drop targets on here. Which ones are you talking about?

#4 10 years ago

The gun motors run with the coin door open, yet the other solenoids won't. Is your coin door closed? If so, check the power cutoff switch by the hinge of the coin door. If that is OK, check the solenoid fuses.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TheNewGuy:

I don't see any drop targets on here. Which ones are you talking about?

Single drop target in the way back of the playfield. There are three wires tied together that go to a single lug (I think they're green and green/white but don't recall exactly). If one of these breaks loose but not the others, it'll take out all sorts of components.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

I think they're green and green/white but don't recall exactly

Those are switch wire colors.

The OP is looking at the up coil wires. Three to one lug. Purple with a green stripe. Though the thin one looks more lavender and green stripe.

Best to remove them, solder to a single wire, and then solder the single wire to the lug. That way if it falls off the coil stops working, not blow stuff up. Small driver board, smokes a subway coil, etc.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Best to remove them, solder to a single wire, and then solder the single wire to the lug.

Thanks, Lloyd. Agreed 100% - did it to mine already but couldn't recall the colors. Here's a link to this on PinWiki: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Auxiliary_8-Driver_Board_.28A-16100.29

#8 10 years ago

Another example of how awesome you guys are on here, so much help. God Bless you, and hope one day to pass on knowledge as you do. Thumbs up !

#9 10 years ago

Check the resistance of the subway diverter coils. At least one of them is driven by that 8-way driver and it is common for one to burn up if the game continually tries to load balls into the subway while in attract mode.

Parker

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

and hope one day to pass on knowledge as you do.

Your day will come. And when it does, please help.

This continues to make pinball great going forward.

#11 10 years ago

Okay so I've got both of the subway diverter coils unsoldered and the game is still continually spitting out balls if there is more that one ball in the trough. I believe the trough opto board has been replaced but like I said I'm picking up where somebody left it.

#12 10 years ago

Have you checked the optos by all three of the upkickers? How many balls do you have installed in the game? There should be 6 total,one pre-staged at each of the three upkickers and three in the trough. Also, check to see if the trough board optos are all working, particularly the jam opto.

#13 10 years ago

You might change the title of your post to reflect 'Next Generation' as I thought you might be talking about the new Star Trek pin. Scared me!

#14 10 years ago

What a headache...now I can't even turn the game on without it blowing F103 or F112.

#15 10 years ago

I feel your pain... It's very frustrating when problems just keep piling up. I tend to break at least 1 other thing whenever I am fixing something else. (not always, but when it does happen, it feels that way)

PS : Sorry this post didn't have anything useful for you to try. Although, sometimes just stepping away for a bit and doing something else gets the juices flowing again and something might pop into your head.

#16 10 years ago

F112: located top middle of the driver board. 7 amp slo-blo. Used for solenoid AC input voltage. If BR3 is bad, can cause this to blow.

F103: located top middle of the driver board. 3 amp slo-blo. Used for solenoids 25 to 28 which are the Borg flashers and one underneath the playfield. A shorted or locked-on coil (or flasher in this case) can cause this fuse to blow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 63.95
$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.