(Topic ID: 198301)

Star Trek TNG : When I lose a ball the pin doesn't recognize I did.

By Smart_Bomb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pezpunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

A whole new issue with this ST:TNG pin i bought so i figured i'd make a thread for it.

During game play, if I lose a ball in play, sometimes the pin does not register and it begins to do a ball check...it does this two times and then eventually spits out a locked ball to resume play but the game, during game play with this new ball STILL does ball checking.

For example, during "Asteroid Threat", I believe you have 30 seconds...i lost the ball 3 seconds in so you would think the simulation would end, game would end, and spit out a new ball. Well I lost the ball 3 seconds in and the game did not stop..so figured you have to wait the entire 30 seconds for the game to register the ball i just lost...doesn't seem right but I just assumed that was the normal operation...so im standing there and the 30 seconds are up....game doesn't end..it now starts doing the ball check i originally mentioned..does this twice...then spits out a locked ball..i begin playing it but the game still continues to do a ball check...and launching probes when no balls in the launcher....all of this while im playing the locked ball it spit out...then it puts a ball in the launcher for me to shoot....i shoot it...now im playing two balls...i lose them both THEN the game ends and starts a new ball......

I lose this new ball (which is ball 3), and again the game doesn't register I lost it and carries on like its still in play..im standing there doing nothing.....then it kicks back to the ball check routine...probe launching with no balls......it spits out a locked ball again..i let the ball go to the trough and then the game finally ends.

So what now?!?!?!?!....My original thread issue and this issue all went down within the first hour of me having the dang game! I'm disappointed and frustrated.

#2 6 years ago

Check your trough switches. One of them is bad

#3 6 years ago

That game is littered with opto switches and many will have cold solder. It uses this system of switches to determine where all the balls are at all times, even one bad switch can start to make the game act up. Most likely this is a bad trough opto. Put the game in a switch test and check with a pinball that it is registering each switch in the trough.

#4 6 years ago

"Start simple, be progressive, work forward"

People always seem to want to recommend fixing electronics before checking mechanics.

Before diving into electronics including optos, check your trough ball tray. Excessive divoting and trails prevent balls from often reaching their opto position. This can be fixed via filing, replacement, or using a plexiglass shim.

Next reflow all joints on the opto boards and replace the IDC connectors on the tray, after testing components properly on BOTH the transmitter and receiver boards.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"Start simple, be progressive, work forward"
People always seem to want to recommend fixing electronics before checking mechanics.
Before diving into electronics including optos, check your trough ball tray. Excessive divoting and trails prevent balls from often reaching their opto position. This can be fixed via filing, replacement, or using a plexiglass shim.
Next reflow all joints on the opto boards and replace the IDC connectors on the tray, after testing components properly on BOTH the transmitter and receiver boards.

The game is transitioning balls when he plays; so they are making it through the trough

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Check your trough switches. One of them is bad

I would just go ahead and check every switch and opto in the game with the glass off using the switch matrix. I would assume it's a switch issue of some sort. It's really hard to diagnose problems while playing because the game is doing different things based on whether switches are activated or not. Sometimes the game does some weird things when it's just one switch that might need adjusting. It also helps to tap or bang on areas around the playfield and see if switches are triggering. Sometimes optos get sensitive to vibrations. They act okay in testing but go off when flipping the ball around in gameplay.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

That game is littered with opto switches and many will have cold solder. It uses this system of switches to determine where all the balls are at all times, even one bad switch can start to make the game act up. Most likely this is a bad trough opto. Put the game in a switch test and check with a pinball that it is registering each switch in the trough.

x2

the game is reading a ball somewhere on the play field even though it drained......tons of optos and switches so the best place to look is a switch test. Possibly a ball in "hanging up" in the trough but just do the switch test

#8 6 years ago

Just did the test for trough switches...1,2,3 are open...4,5,6 are closed....trough up is closed....i then stuck my hand under playfield by trough and with the tip of my finger i grabbed the ball in number 3 position and gently rolled it past each position, 4 thru 6...and had it on test for each postion and each one opened and closed accordingly.

I played another game after the test...i played for about 5 minutes on first ball then purposely lost the ball...same o same o...game did not recognize the ball was lost, it did ball check 2 times then unlocked a ball...i let that one drop too and the game STILL DID NOT RECOGNIZE ball was lost.

I'm getting highly pi$$ed off....the kind of money i dropped on this and from the first game i played when it was in my house it has been doing this and i cant return the game...i would if i could....its givng me nothing but heartache...if i wanted to put this on location, i couldnt...if i wanted to sell it id sell it at a loss because it doesnt function properly...not that i would do either...im just saying, thus far its a lemon....all that coin and i have to work on it the first minute i got it home and still do...im besides myself over this..i cant even think straight im so pi$$ed.

#9 6 years ago

Have you tried adjusting the eddy boards, or make sure they are getting power? Mine did something similar and it was the Eddy board on the right side. The connector would come loose after a few games. Fixed with a little piece of tape to hold it tight.

Try not to get frustrated. These things are old, you got one of the more complicated, high maintenance machines. Be patient, don't get discouraged, you'll figure it out and know so much more about your machine when you're done. It's a great game, worth the PITA.

#10 6 years ago

Welcome to pinball ownership.

All the problems you are describing can be attributes to a single connection or wire that's breaking contact.

The best way to troubleshoot this is by removing all the balls and looking for optos that don't read closed. If you don't see any right off, leave the game in switch test and start knocking on the playfield; you are looking for one of those closed switches to open; if you still find nothing, give your trough opto board connectors a wiggle, its likely one of those connections.

#11 6 years ago

Sounds like the trough boards... Dont panic, simple fix I promise.

#12 6 years ago

Oh I nearly forgot, congratulation on your STTNG, I'm sure once you get through these minor issues you'll be able to appreciate what a great game you actually have. Please check out the ST:TNG owners forum, with over 1000 posts, there is a wealth of information to be had there and all of it is related to your specific machine! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

Have you tried adjusting the eddy boards, or make sure they are getting power? Mine did something similar and it was the Eddy board on the right side. The connector would come loose after a few games. Fixed with a little piece of tape to hold it tight.
Try not to get frustrated. These things are old, you got one of the more complicated, high maintenance machines. Be patient, don't get discouraged, you'll figure it out and know so much more about your machine when you're done. It's a great game, worth the PITA.

I think this fixed it....i located them and just pushed on them a little to make sure they are secure....played 8 games in a row and let the ball go at various points during each game and it registered lost each time.....whew!!....thank you and everyone for the guidance....hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Look..i have an arcade in my home...17 arcades (1977 to 1984) 5 pins (1979 to, now, 1993)....and every single game i bought i had to fix after purchase, which i didnt mind doing..i LOVE working on them....i have 2 pins (diamond lady, space shuttle) and 12 arcades that are all projects...i knew what i was getting into when i bought them......but this time i decided to treat myself with a good, clean solid game one time and something i did not have to work on immediately...i know in time things break down but this pin is immacualte and from a respectable source....i wanted something really nice and it is the crown jewel of my one car garage arcade..and by far the most expensive game i own..without question...(i actually feel guilty and stupid for spending that kind of money on a game)....and to get it home and IMMEDIATELY have issues with it just sent me over the edge...the whole purpose was to take a game home and NOT have to work on it in the first 5 minutes through my door.....it killed my morale, ya know....if i spent $500 on it, ok i can handle it...but i dont want to buy a ferrari and the next day have to bring it in for maintenance, know what i mean?

And btw...incase you were worried all issues are fixed, they r not.....heres another that just started this eveing after i (hopefully) fixed the ball not registering

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-left-probe-launcher-keeps-activating-after-launch#post-3974929

#14 6 years ago

it doesn't matter how much you pay -- fixing stuff is just part of the deal. there is no amount of money you can pay that will free you from that reality.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 63.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-when-i-lose-a-ball-the-pin-doesnt-recognoze-i-did and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.