(Topic ID: 207532)

Star Wreck TNG: The Mother Of All Restorations!

By mazzaneo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caeabe8826193c148e9b91bc7eb43cd3d8e0c413 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
scotty-booze (resized).jpg
christine.jpg-2 (resized).jpg
215 (resized).JPG
IMG_0283 (resized).JPG
MAR_1344 (resized).jpg
MAR_1343 (resized).jpg
MAR_1342 (resized).jpg
MAR_1341 (resized).jpg
MAR_1340 (resized).jpg
MAR_1339 (resized).jpg
MAR_1338 (resized).jpg
MAR_1337 (resized).jpg
MAR_1336 (resized).jpg
MAR_1334 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mazzaneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi Pinheads!

So i used to operate Pins back in the late 90's/Early 2k's renting them to pubs but got fed up with them always breaking down and sold the lot! I always regretted that as I really loved pinball machines so I recently decided to start a home collection. I already own a twilight zone but i just purchased my favourite game of all Star Trek: TNG for 600 euro, a bargain? Absolutely not, this could be the dumbest thing I ever bought!

The machine itself was caught in a fire and has suffered severe fire damage as the images attached show.

Damage List:-
Cabinet - charred and will need heavy reconstruction.
Playfield - Severe melting of certain inserts and decals. Burning or artwork at places.
Playfield ramps and toys - most completely melted.
Glass - Smashed (as my bloodied hands discovered pretty soon!)
Launch Gun - Burnt on the left and needs replacing (how hot was this fire to burn the metal!)
Back Box - All boards missing, speaker assembly and translites missing. Cables cut and missing connectors. Light box burnt and bayonets melted.
And I haven't even begun to talk about the bottom of the playfield yet!

Note: The ash you see everywhere is the ceiling of the arcade which caved in and no doubt went straight through the glass.

As you can see this machine will need a hell of a lot of work to restore and considering I have never done this before.... it will need a miracle!
But... I have time... I have a fantastic forum full of helpful individuals (I hope) and I have a vision to fully resurrect, restore and upgrade this machine so it can take pride of place in my living room.

I'm glad and would be honoured to share this journey with you...

IMG_0191 (resized).jpgIMG_0191 (resized).jpg
IMG_0193 (resized).jpgIMG_0193 (resized).jpg
MAR_1218 (resized).jpgMAR_1218 (resized).jpg
IMG_0192 (resized).jpgIMG_0192 (resized).jpg
MAR_1219 (resized).jpgMAR_1219 (resized).jpg
MAR_1220 (resized).jpgMAR_1220 (resized).jpg
IMG_0194 (resized).jpgIMG_0194 (resized).jpg
MAR_1221 (resized).jpgMAR_1221 (resized).jpg
MAR_1223 (resized).jpgMAR_1223 (resized).jpg
MAR_1224 (resized).jpgMAR_1224 (resized).jpg
MAR_1225 (resized).jpgMAR_1225 (resized).jpg
MAR_1222 (resized).jpgMAR_1222 (resized).jpg
MAR_1227 (resized).jpgMAR_1227 (resized).jpg
MAR_1226 (resized).jpgMAR_1226 (resized).jpg
MAR_1228 (resized).jpgMAR_1228 (resized).jpg
MAR_1234 (resized).jpgMAR_1234 (resized).jpg
MAR_1235 (resized).jpgMAR_1235 (resized).jpg
MAR_1236 (resized).jpgMAR_1236 (resized).jpg
MAR_1237 (resized).jpgMAR_1237 (resized).jpg
MAR_1239 (resized).jpgMAR_1239 (resized).jpg
MAR_1240 (resized).jpgMAR_1240 (resized).jpg
MAR_1241 (resized).jpgMAR_1241 (resized).jpg
MAR_1238 (resized).jpgMAR_1238 (resized).jpg
MAR_1243 (resized).jpgMAR_1243 (resized).jpg
MAR_1242 (resized).jpgMAR_1242 (resized).jpg
MAR_1244 (resized).jpgMAR_1244 (resized).jpg
MAR_1246 (resized).jpgMAR_1246 (resized).jpg
MAR_1245 (resized).jpgMAR_1245 (resized).jpg
MAR_1247 (resized).jpgMAR_1247 (resized).jpg
MAR_1248 (resized).jpgMAR_1248 (resized).jpg
MAR_1249 (resized).jpgMAR_1249 (resized).jpg
MAR_1251 (resized).jpgMAR_1251 (resized).jpg
MAR_1250 (resized).jpgMAR_1250 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Here is where the boards should have been!

MAR_1265 (resized).jpgMAR_1265 (resized).jpg

MAR_1266 (resized).jpgMAR_1266 (resized).jpg

MAR_1268 (resized).jpgMAR_1268 (resized).jpg

MAR_1267 (resized).jpgMAR_1267 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

600 Euro??? That's seems about 599 too high....Wow!

You are 100% right but to be honest with you, i'm looking forward to this

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Salvage what you can from parts and move on, you are crazy taking this on.

Where's the fun in that! Worst case scenario you will find a load of Star Trek TNG parts for sale here in 6 months, but I have to try!

#15 6 years ago

Guys you are all correct, 600 was too much, the only things i can see that are salvageable are at the bottom of the playfield which survived the fire (I will post pics of these over the next few days).
This is more of a hobby for me at this point, think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (although if this flies it will be straight into the skip... lol)

#24 6 years ago

Shots of the top of the machine

MAR_1270 (resized).jpgMAR_1270 (resized).jpg

MAR_1271 (resized).jpgMAR_1271 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

Not on my Star Trek table, you’ll damage the paint work!

Quoted from Djshakes:I want you to get a refund immediately and then offer the seller you'll take it to the dump for a fee. Stop this nonsense right now. I'm serious. Just stop it. This makes me want to slam my fist down on the table in protest.

#50 6 years ago

Maybe rebuild is a better description.

Quoted from gunstarhero:This makes me think...
At the point that you replace the cab, PF, plastics, boards, legs, translite, glass, mechs, posts and toys with new parts, what exactly did you "restore"?

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

At least the back is partially wiped off already, you check that off the to-do list.

LOL

#59 6 years ago

The toys have seen better days...

MAR_1256 (resized).jpgMAR_1256 (resized).jpg

MAR_1260 (resized).jpgMAR_1260 (resized).jpg

MAR_1275 (resized).jpgMAR_1275 (resized).jpg

MAR_1252 (resized).jpgMAR_1252 (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago

We have engaged the Borg... and guess who won!

MAR_1259 (resized).jpgMAR_1259 (resized).jpg

MAR_1262 (resized).jpgMAR_1262 (resized).jpg

MAR_1263 (resized).jpgMAR_1263 (resized).jpg

MAR_1276 (resized).jpgMAR_1276 (resized).jpg

MAR_1277 (resized).jpgMAR_1277 (resized).jpg

MAR_1305 (resized).jpgMAR_1305 (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

looking for donation parts?

That would be awesome, I'll post a parts list once i have this thing dismantled.

#96 6 years ago

I have removed most of the playfield parts, looking at the paint work, I see parts which are slightly discoloured and parts that are horribly burnt. The burnt parts are luckily over the inserts. Id imagine most inserts will be replaced. I will try to polish out the discolouration. Hopefully the paint is thick enough.

MAR_1322 (resized).jpgMAR_1322 (resized).jpg

MAR_1324 (resized).jpgMAR_1324 (resized).jpg

MAR_1323 (resized).jpgMAR_1323 (resized).jpg

MAR_1325 (resized).jpgMAR_1325 (resized).jpg

MAR_1326 (resized).jpgMAR_1326 (resized).jpg

MAR_1327 (resized).jpgMAR_1327 (resized).jpg

MAR_1328 (resized).jpgMAR_1328 (resized).jpg

#98 6 years ago

Below the playfield i'd say we are in semi good shape with most parts relatively intact. I had great difficulty keeping the table up as the side supports are both broken and will definitely need to be changed. All boards (barring the coin door) seem to be unharmed. All bulb holders will need replacement however.

MAR_1329 (resized).jpgMAR_1329 (resized).jpg

MAR_1330 (resized).jpgMAR_1330 (resized).jpg

MAR_1331 (resized).jpgMAR_1331 (resized).jpg

MAR_1332 (resized).jpgMAR_1332 (resized).jpg

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Is the wire harness in ok shape?

Meh... update to follow shortly

#101 6 years ago

And here is what I perceive to be my biggest problem....
I am comfortable restoring the cabinet and playfield completely BUT what i do see and a potentially huge problem are the cut cables on the wiring harness. There are quite a few cable assemblies which have been severed completely and at this point i am at a loss as to where these would go or even how to repair. You guys might know more as to where I start piece this puzzle together.
If I cannot find a solution to the cabling issue I may actually have to abandon ship!

MAR_1333 (resized).jpgMAR_1333 (resized).jpg

MAR_1335 (resized).jpgMAR_1335 (resized).jpg

MAR_1334 (resized).jpgMAR_1334 (resized).jpg

MAR_1336 (resized).jpgMAR_1336 (resized).jpg

MAR_1337 (resized).jpgMAR_1337 (resized).jpg

MAR_1338 (resized).jpgMAR_1338 (resized).jpg

MAR_1339 (resized).jpgMAR_1339 (resized).jpg

MAR_1340 (resized).jpgMAR_1340 (resized).jpg

MAR_1341 (resized).jpgMAR_1341 (resized).jpg

MAR_1342 (resized).jpgMAR_1342 (resized).jpg

MAR_1343 (resized).jpgMAR_1343 (resized).jpg

MAR_1344 (resized).jpgMAR_1344 (resized).jpg

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

I'm surprised to see so many people raining on this parade. Yeah, it's a ton of work and a lot of money but that's mostly what this hobby is, right?
Spending ~$5k on parts isn't so crazy when you consider it'll provide a lot of fun over the next many months (years?) and when you're done you'll have an awesome pin that you could probably sell for about the money you put in it.
I've been considering designing and building my own machine from scratch which isn't too far off from a bottom to top rebuild like this.
On the subject of cut wires, that should be the least of your problems. Solder/crimp some extensions/new connectors on there in no time. I assume the fire damaged more of the wiring harness than a few cut wires.

Thanks man, although I'm guessing most of the comments here are light hearted banter. My problem is not solder/crimp but more locating what exactly is missing and where it goes although, looking in the manual at the cable list i could potentially locate each cable from said list and mark them off, what remains must be what needs fixing/changing.

IMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPG

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The burns on the playfield look like burning chunks of the roof collapsed onto it. Any Mylar?
And the ash piles in the lower cabinet... maybe water washed all that down there?

I'm guessing it was a sprinkler system once smoke alarms were triggered because there is definitely rust elements on the table.
It may be that only mylar was charred on the playfield. I will update once i have had a more detailed look.

#107 6 years ago

Found this.... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-15736

maybe this is a fast track solution to half my cabling problem

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The first few pictures look like flipper coil and EOS switch wires, I'm assuming the flipper mechs are missing, not that this is a big deal. I have to say I do admire your spirit, as for 600 euros? Maybe a little high, if you have a functional transformer in the cabinet, then perhaps not. The wiring isn't going to be that hard to identify as the pages in the back of your manual list to wire colors for every connection and where they go.

I can confirm that the wires in the first pics are for the missing flipper assembly although i'm not entirely sure what the thinner 3 wires next to the flipper assembly lead to although they could be switches. This was a preliminary post. More detail will follow i'm sure.

#117 6 years ago

Well at least I got a fully working Twilight Zone from the same guy for 2500 euro which is not bad.

Quoted from Rob_G:Can you even get all the parts you need? I wouldn't even bother starting unless you know you can. The cut wires show the game was robbed of parts either before or after the fire. No flipper mechs and obviously no boards.
I would go back to whoever you bought it from and ask for half of your money back due to the game being worse off than you originally expected. Plus it's got cut wires and missing coil mechs. I'd have a tough time thinking you could part this out and get close to what you have into it already.
Rob

#123 6 years ago

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Quoted from Djshakes:Lol
"Hey, I know I bought this game from you that literally is burnt to a crisp. I saw that when I bought it, I mean, how couldn't I have, it looks like a piece of coal. Well, that's all fine but I found some cut wires, soooo can I have half my money back because those wires?"

#124 6 years ago

Ok here’s the thing with the wires... I know it’s can be solved, all I’m saying is that from a pretty much handcraft resto it has also become a time consuming mundane electrical puzzle. Not to say it cannot be done, it’s just that i didn’t need wiring issues too. I knew the bottom of the play field was quite good so I’d have hoped the cables would be as well

#137 6 years ago

No news to report yet, just logging all the parts required...

1 week later
#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm a little concerned about his gun handle as this is a part that should never go bad ... but his is melty

I'm really struggling to find the gun handle. No one seems to have this even listed let alone in stock.

1 week later
#163 6 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Me too. I have a lot of STTNG spare parts including gun handle, translite, speaker panel, complete cannon assemblies, beta ramp with shuttle and lots of plastics (including Borg ship). I also have a spare playfield, but I am not sure if I am ready to part with it yet. Please let me know if you need some stuff.

Thanks

4 months later
#173 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

is this from this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hope-this-wont-brake-you-to-tears#post-1954966
In Paphos this week and trying to find a game to play...

That is not me although I am well aware of this place!
Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, you’re not still in paphos are you?

#174 5 years ago

Announcement: this project has been cancelled because it would have actually cost much more than buying one. I removed all parts and sold the playfield for 300 euro.
At least I have all the mechs, coils, switches and cabinet parts as spares.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

PM me if you want a shuttle I'd gladly donate it to you strictly out of pity from one 1/4" wrench slinging tec to another lol

Thanks for your kind offer, it’s great to see ppl like you in the community but it is no longer required, the project was too big and too costly to dedicate so much time to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mazzaneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-the-mother-of-all-restorations?tu=mazzaneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.