(Topic ID: 207532)

Star Wreck TNG: The Mother Of All Restorations!

By mazzaneo

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 88 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caeabe8826193c148e9b91bc7eb43cd3d8e0c413 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
scotty-booze (resized).jpg
christine.jpg-2 (resized).jpg
215 (resized).JPG
IMG_0283 (resized).JPG
MAR_1344 (resized).jpg
MAR_1343 (resized).jpg
MAR_1342 (resized).jpg
MAR_1341 (resized).jpg
MAR_1340 (resized).jpg
MAR_1339 (resized).jpg
MAR_1338 (resized).jpg
MAR_1337 (resized).jpg
MAR_1336 (resized).jpg
MAR_1334 (resized).jpg
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago

And here is what I perceive to be my biggest problem....
I am comfortable restoring the cabinet and playfield completely BUT what i do see and a potentially huge problem are the cut cables on the wiring harness. There are quite a few cable assemblies which have been severed completely and at this point i am at a loss as to where these would go or even how to repair. You guys might know more as to where I start piece this puzzle together.
If I cannot find a solution to the cabling issue I may actually have to abandon ship!

MAR_1333 (resized).jpgMAR_1333 (resized).jpg

MAR_1335 (resized).jpgMAR_1335 (resized).jpg

MAR_1334 (resized).jpgMAR_1334 (resized).jpg

MAR_1336 (resized).jpgMAR_1336 (resized).jpg

MAR_1337 (resized).jpgMAR_1337 (resized).jpg

MAR_1338 (resized).jpgMAR_1338 (resized).jpg

MAR_1339 (resized).jpgMAR_1339 (resized).jpg

MAR_1340 (resized).jpgMAR_1340 (resized).jpg

MAR_1341 (resized).jpgMAR_1341 (resized).jpg

MAR_1342 (resized).jpgMAR_1342 (resized).jpg

MAR_1343 (resized).jpgMAR_1343 (resized).jpg

MAR_1344 (resized).jpgMAR_1344 (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago

(Don't let 72 cut cables dampen your spirit!)

#103 6 years ago

I'm surprised to see so many people raining on this parade. Yeah, it's a ton of work and a lot of money but that's mostly what this hobby is, right?

Spending ~$5k on parts isn't so crazy when you consider it'll provide a lot of fun over the next many months (years?) and when you're done you'll have an awesome pin that you could probably sell for about the money you put in it.

I've been considering designing and building my own machine from scratch which isn't too far off from a bottom to top rebuild like this.

On the subject of cut wires, that should be the least of your problems. Solder/crimp some extensions/new connectors on there in no time. I assume the fire damaged more of the wiring harness than a few cut wires.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from Adams:

I'm surprised to see so many people raining on this parade. Yeah, it's a ton of work and a lot of money but that's mostly what this hobby is, right?
Spending ~$5k on parts isn't so crazy when you consider it'll provide a lot of fun over the next many months (years?) and when you're done you'll have an awesome pin that you could probably sell for about the money you put in it.
I've been considering designing and building my own machine from scratch which isn't too far off from a bottom to top rebuild like this.
On the subject of cut wires, that should be the least of your problems. Solder/crimp some extensions/new connectors on there in no time. I assume the fire damaged more of the wiring harness than a few cut wires.

Thanks man, although I'm guessing most of the comments here are light hearted banter. My problem is not solder/crimp but more locating what exactly is missing and where it goes although, looking in the manual at the cable list i could potentially locate each cable from said list and mark them off, what remains must be what needs fixing/changing.

IMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPG

#105 6 years ago

The burns on the playfield look like burning chunks of the roof collapsed onto it. Any Mylar?

And the ash piles in the lower cabinet... maybe water washed all that down there?

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The burns on the playfield look like burning chunks of the roof collapsed onto it. Any Mylar?
And the ash piles in the lower cabinet... maybe water washed all that down there?

I'm guessing it was a sprinkler system once smoke alarms were triggered because there is definitely rust elements on the table.
It may be that only mylar was charred on the playfield. I will update once i have had a more detailed look.

#107 6 years ago

Found this.... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/H-15736

maybe this is a fast track solution to half my cabling problem

#108 6 years ago

The cables won't be impossible, just tedious. It would be way easier if you had a working game sitting next to it to compare. Otherwise I guess I'd start by sorting the transformer and cabinet wiring to the head first. All connectors off, get power sorted first then take it one connector at a time in the head.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The cables won't be impossible, just tedious. It would be way easier if you had a working game sitting next to it to compare. Otherwise I guess I'd start by sorting the transformer and cabinet wiring to the head first. All connectors off, get power sorted first then take it one connector at a time in the head.

Too bad the OP is not local to me - I would be more than happy to loan out my STTNG to help the mapping!

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Too bad the OP is not local to me - I would be more than happy to loan out my STTNG to help the mapping!

This is what you need, but without another game sitting next to it, it's still not that bad. The manual will tell you where all the wires go. Cut wires would be the least of my worries with this game!

#111 6 years ago

The first few pictures look like flipper coil and EOS switch wires, I'm assuming the flipper mechs are missing, not that this is a big deal. I have to say I do admire your spirit, as for 600 euros? Maybe a little high, if you have a functional transformer in the cabinet, then perhaps not. The wiring isn't going to be that hard to identify as the pages in the back of your manual list to wire colors for every connection and where they go.

215 (resized).JPG215 (resized).JPG

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The first few pictures look like flipper coil and EOS switch wires, I'm assuming the flipper mechs are missing, not that this is a big deal. I have to say I do admire your spirit, as for 600 euros? Maybe a little high, if you have a functional transformer in the cabinet, then perhaps not. The wiring isn't going to be that hard to identify as the pages in the back of your manual list to wire colors for every connection and where they go.

I can confirm that the wires in the first pics are for the missing flipper assembly although i'm not entirely sure what the thinner 3 wires next to the flipper assembly lead to although they could be switches. This was a preliminary post. More detail will follow i'm sure.

#113 6 years ago

that will buff right out, if not, probably just a fuse.

i'll be watching this.

#114 6 years ago

Would the Borg even bother to assimilate this?

Godspeed in your endeavor. Make it so.

#115 6 years ago

I make my own remake pinball machines and cut all cables most of the time. Thats no problem.
But even i can't make a machine from that !!!!!.

Its cheaper to buy a working one and burn this mother fucker.

#116 6 years ago

Can you even get all the parts you need? I wouldn't even bother starting unless you know you can. The cut wires show the game was robbed of parts either before or after the fire. No flipper mechs and obviously no boards.

I would go back to whoever you bought it from and ask for half of your money back due to the game being worse off than you originally expected. Plus it's got cut wires and missing coil mechs. I'd have a tough time thinking you could part this out and get close to what you have into it already.

Rob

#117 6 years ago

Well at least I got a fully working Twilight Zone from the same guy for 2500 euro which is not bad.

Quoted from Rob_G:Can you even get all the parts you need? I wouldn't even bother starting unless you know you can. The cut wires show the game was robbed of parts either before or after the fire. No flipper mechs and obviously no boards.
I would go back to whoever you bought it from and ask for half of your money back due to the game being worse off than you originally expected. Plus it's got cut wires and missing coil mechs. I'd have a tough time thinking you could part this out and get close to what you have into it already.
Rob

#118 6 years ago

It seems like the guts of this is just intact enough to make this possible.

Quoted from Zitt:

All this negativity... If the op wants to do this... it's his right.
I agree it seems like a lost cause; but maybe he has some redeeming ideas to make this fun.

It's probably the most interesting restoration projects of a pinball I have ever seen, mainly because most wouldn't have bothered with it.

#119 6 years ago

Take a dollop of novus and a rag to the center of the playfield. The suspense is killing me lol.

And if it’s too toasty let me know because I’d like a roached sttng playfield for my wall.

#120 6 years ago

If you look at THAT... and think, yeah, I can fix this... and then stop at a cut harness, that's kind of insane.

I'd start out by really stripping the PF and cab, down to the artwork... then clean it all, and see what you really have.

#121 6 years ago

Cut wiring harness isn't too bad. With the color code and where they're at you should easily be able to figure them out.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Can you even get all the parts you need? I wouldn't even bother starting unless you know you can. The cut wires show the game was robbed of parts either before or after the fire. No flipper mechs and obviously no boards.
Rob

Lol

"Hey, I know I bought this game from you that literally is burnt to a crisp. I saw that when I bought it, I mean, how couldn't I have, it looks like a piece of coal. Well, that's all fine but I found some cut wires, soooo can I have half my money back because those wires?"

#123 6 years ago

Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Quoted from Djshakes:Lol
"Hey, I know I bought this game from you that literally is burnt to a crisp. I saw that when I bought it, I mean, how couldn't I have, it looks like a piece of coal. Well, that's all fine but I found some cut wires, soooo can I have half my money back because those wires?"

#124 6 years ago

Ok here’s the thing with the wires... I know it’s can be solved, all I’m saying is that from a pretty much handcraft resto it has also become a time consuming mundane electrical puzzle. Not to say it cannot be done, it’s just that i didn’t need wiring issues too. I knew the bottom of the play field was quite good so I’d have hoped the cables would be as well

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

If you look at THAT... and think, yeah, I can fix this... and then stop at a cut harness, that's kind of insane.
I'd start out by really stripping the PF and cab, down to the artwork... then clean it all, and see what you really have.

Agree 100% with this. You still have a pile of parts here that are useful, including the cut harness. If you're really looking to go "balls deep" into this, you need to start with trying to source what you don't have and separating what you do have that is good.

Wpc widebody cabinets (that are normal) pop up from time to time, usually pretty reasonably. Post a wtb. How good will the playfield clean up? Let's see some after shots when you're scrubbing bubbles on that thing. Use a magic eraser, maybe some of that burn will ease off or out? Depending how into the surface it went.
The used parts market is where you'll score some of those trickier parts that aren't useable on yours, over new. The state of the harness is not checkmate, you just need to color code it correctly. The harness would not even phase me, if most of it is there. You also have what looks like a pretty clean under belly to that playfield, which is a huge plus (sure beats a water damage/mold pin!)

I estimate that with hunting and sourcing, using a mix of new parts and used, and serious elbow grease, you can get that pin flipping again between $2500-3000 if you really work at it. The most expensive pieces are the boards and ramps. In that budget you may end up with not so perfect ramps that are used but work, you upgrade later as you go. Stuff like that. Set a goal, and chip away.

The motivation in your adventure lies in the fact that you'd be proving all the doubters wrong, and bringing back to life one of the top games ever made in my opinion-Its constantly tons of fun.

GL!

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

I am comfortable restoring the cabinet and playfield completely BUT what i do see and a potentially huge problem are the cut cables on the wiring harness. There are quite a few cable assemblies which have been severed completely and at this point i am at a loss as to where these would go or even how to repair. You guys might know more as to where I start piece this puzzle together.
If I cannot find a solution to the cabling issue I may actually have to abandon ship!

The cables are the LEAST of your problems on that machine. Seriously, a couple sets are clearly flipper wires, and with the manual color coding and some help from owners you could figure the rest out in an afternoon at most.

Fortunately, Mirco has new ST:TNG playfields, too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mirco-playfields-for-sale#post-4103667

#127 6 years ago

U can do it!

#128 6 years ago

My biggest concern would be that transformer... if it got hot enough to melt the varnish in the windings; it's going to be nearly impossible to source a used one.

That said; looks like the harness is in fair shape - but the cannon mechs look ok

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

Rummage around in other restoration threads for photos. Also make sure to look through HEP's photo galleries--he usually does full tear-downs.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

My biggest concern would be that transformer... if it got hot enough to melt the varnish in the windings; it's going to be nearly impossible to source a used one.
That said; looks like the harness is in fair shape - but the cannon mechs look ok

The transformer is a 5610-13491-00

K's arcade has a brand new one in stock: https://ksarcade.net/new-transformer-5610-13491-00.html

There's also a seller on ebay who lists new transformers on occasion.

#131 6 years ago

This restoration reminds me of a kids book I used to have.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The transformer is a 5610-13491-00
K's arcade has a brand new one in stock: https://ksarcade.net/new-transformer-5610-13491-00.html
There's also a seller on ebay who lists new transformers on occasion.

Extremely unlikely he will need a Transformer. They are tough as a mother, and there's a good chance his survived just looking at his underside of the playfield.

Quick story about Transformers. I dumped a TAXI transformer down on the farm for five years of brutal New England winters and springs.
Went back for it because I needed one, cleaned it up, worked perfect.

#133 6 years ago

Is this game up and running yet? Updates please.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

My biggest concern would be everything.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Is this game up and running yet? Updates please.

Steady as she goes, Mr. Shakes. Like dis-assimilating a human from the Borg, it is going to be a lengthy, painstaking process. And we know not what the final outcome will be.

Good luck again, our pinball-rescuing friend.

#137 6 years ago

No news to report yet, just logging all the parts required...

#138 6 years ago

Pinball... the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the pin-head mazzaneo...
His continuing mission... to repair a burned out hulk of a game...
To document it on Pinside...
TO BOLDLY RESTORE WHAT NO MAN HAS RESTORED BEFORE!

STAR WRECK: The Next Burnination!

#139 6 years ago

Added this thread as a favorite, can't wait to see you succeed. I think here the journey will be well worth it, even more than the destination (functioning pinball machine). Think of all the things we'll learn...

You can consider keeping one of the playfield plastic ships exactly as it is, melted and dirty, as a memory to the condition it is now. As others mentioned, that's authentic space battle damage and would fit the theme.

#140 6 years ago

Take it to Darnells garage

christine.jpg-2 (resized).jpgchristine.jpg-2 (resized).jpg

#141 6 years ago

Added to favourites...I hope it is more of a fully documented restoration thread and not just another "assembly" thread where Op buys ALL new parts and cab etc and puts it together. Might as well just buy one in better shape if that's the case!

Good luck with the project, looking forward to sharing the ride from the sidelines

#142 6 years ago

You have two choiche:
If you sell as pinball parts then budget balance will be cca. zero,
But if you restore it, then will collect many-many respect...

Added to favorite topics and i waiting for your decide.

1 week later
#144 6 years ago

This thread started out so well.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

This thread started out so well.

I was really looking forward to this one as well but considering we haven’t even seen a picture of the Playfield wiped off yet I’d say reality hit the OP hard.

#146 6 years ago

Looks like op finally realized everyone was right. Not every game can or should be restored. This was one of those.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Looks like op finally realized everyone was right. Not every game can or should be restored. This was one of those.

Not necessarily.

I usually gather up most of the parts I need before starting on anything significant.

Quoted from mazzaneo:

No news to report yet, just logging all the parts required...

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not necessarily.
I usually gather up most of the parts I need before starting on anything significant.

Makes sense. Hopefully hes making progress on his quest.

#149 6 years ago

That poor shuttle will never see warp speed again, not even Scotty himself could fix this one with all the dilithuim crystals in the cosmos. lol

scotty-booze (resized).jpgscotty-booze (resized).jpg

#150 6 years ago

Someone out there needs a freshly tumbled complete hardware kit for a TNG, wireform ramps to chrome, flipper mechs and stuff its still got some good value for sure!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-the-mother-of-all-restorations/page/3?hl=adams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.