Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jerryuop
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Background: As a child, my parents ran an amusement park complete with go-karts, mini-golf, batting cage, and… an arcade complete with pinball machines. There were always 4 or 5 pinball machines that I had unlimited access to, and they tended to rotate the less popular ones every 2-4 months at arcade auctions. These arcade auctions were huge, and included 400-500 pinball machines per month. If you could go back to the mid 90’s and buy some of these up, you could make a pretty penny. Most of the “modern mid 90’s machines” went for a couple of thousand at most… for the nice ones. The most I ever remember seeing one go for was around $3,000, and that was for the South Park pinball machine. The electro mechanical ones were hard to get rid of. Most didn’t sell or went for less than a hundred dollars. In any case, I loved pinball machines as a kid. I remember helping my father maintain the ones we had in the 90s. Off the top of my hand I can remember the Star Trek TNG, Adam’s Family, South Park, Starship Troopers, Terminator 2, Demolition Man, and Whilrwind. These are just the few that I remember of the 50 or so we cycled through over the decade we had the arcade open. I am finally in a position to get a pinball machine of my own for me and my (small) children to enjoy. I made a deal with my wife a few years ago that if I got the basement finished, I could put a pinball machine down there. Now comes the fun/difficult part of picking one out.

Decision: I am torn between getting a “classic” pinball machine, that would have a lot of nostalgia for me, but the possibility of “unreliability” and getting a new machine that is built for durability. I remember helping my father maintain the pinball machines as an elementary school kid in the 90s and it not being too bad, but most of the machines I’m interested in are 25 years old now and presumably, subject to breaking. I have played a couple of the new Stern Pinball machines, and have mixed feelings. I had unlimited free access to the Avengers pinball machine (my boss is a pinball nerd and has one at the office) (2012) and now unlimited free access to the new Star Wars pinball machine. Avengers was fun, but I hate the new Star Wars one. I love the theme, but hate the full motion video screen. I also would like to have a theme that I like, and have a few other preference. It must be a solid state machine. It must not have anything scary on it (little kids). It must have a decent theme. It must not be a full motion video screen (a dot matrix screen is good though). I would prefer something nostalgic, but this is not a requirement. I have denoted machines my family had as a kid with a * and approximate prices from pinside.

I am torn between 3 main options.
    Option 1: Get something cheaper and older, break it in, trade it up in a year or two. $3000-South Park* (Liked as a kid, wife vetoes this one for language/content… for now), $2500-Starship Troopers*, $3000-Terminator 2* (Can’t get… too scary), $3500-Demolition Man*, $4000 Whirlwind*

Option 2: Get something nicer and older, keep it longer term. $5000 Star Trek TNG* (Wife’s pick, but may be hard to maintain as there are many moving parts, my previous post on here may have scared me off). $6500 Adams Family* (This one is a butt ton of fun, but may be to scary and hard to maintain) $6000 LOTR, $5000 The Simpsons Pinball Party, $6,000 Twilight Zone

Option 3: Get something new and durable: $8,000 Medieval madness Remake, $7,000 Game of Thrones

I am kind of leaning toward medieval madness at the moment as it seems like it would have the most replay ability out of all of these. I’ve only gotten to play it once in my life, but it seemed fun, and I know it is at or near the top of everyone’s list for replay ability. However, I’m not sure how a newly manufactured copy of a classic pinball machine will hold it’s value. I get the idea that if I got Star Trek or The Adam’s Family, the value would stay the same or go up over time… but the maintenance thing. I can see chasing through the circuit boards with a multi-meter, but don’t know how much more often this would be required than it would be 20 years ago.
    I need somebody to talk me into Medieval Madness or Star Trek TNG. What are your thoughts community?

#2 5 years ago

South Park is an all time horrible machine, you're grown up now, you won't like it.
    My advice is it doesn't matter much, you'll be buying #2 after a bit

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Option 3: Get something new and durable: $8,000 Medieval madness Remake, $7,000 Game of Thrones

if that is a pro price for a game of thrones call another distributor... they are ripping you off.

#4 5 years ago

STTNG is awesome but can be a bastard to keep working right and troubleshoot because of the complex subway, scores of optos, and the cannons. I got one early on in my pinball hobby-ness and it drove me INSANE that I could never keep it working.

For a first game if money isn't a concern, you could do a lot worse than MMR... besides some flipper maintenance I haven't had to turn a screw on mine. Besides, MMR is both... a "new" classic (1997) machine!

If you like Star Trek but want something new and "reliable" you might consider a Star Trek Pro or Premium, as Stern just re-released them.

#5 5 years ago

How about Shrek or Family Guy, since you say you want something family friendly?

#6 5 years ago

MM all day everyday. MM castle is the best toy ever made for a pinball machine imo.

#7 5 years ago

South Park .. you will want to sell it in 2 days (plus wife already vetoed). Demo Man is very fun but not exactly family friendly.

Why exactly is T2 too scary? The skull? How old are your kids?

STTNG is an awesome game but hard for kids and not a good choice as a first game.

The expensive games are that way for a reason - they are more fun and will get more play. I’d get a cheapo and upgrade in a few months. How about a SS like Dr Dude or Party Zone? Or an 80s Gottlieb ?

#8 5 years ago

To those of you asking, my kids are 1, 4, and 6. Pinball machine is going in the basement next to their playroom so... I gotta be sensitive on the graphics and language thing.

#9 5 years ago

welcome @sataneatscheese. First, I would like to examine your budget of $8K. At $8K, you pretty much have every option available to you, from the Standard JJP machines (Limited Edition's are $9K), most Stern Prem/LE machines (and by default their "lesser" Pro version), and most everything from 90's Bally/Williams era and older. Quite a library of machines to choose from.

Secondly, equating age with reliability is not fair for games from that vintage. Solid State (SS) machines from the 70s are every bit as reliable or moreso than anything New In Box (NIB) today. As a matter of fact, they are MORE serviceable than anything from Stern's SPIKE boardset, which has shown volatile node boards that can disable your machine without any notice. Granted, Stern's customer service have provided coverage for these issues, but the issue remains the same; node boards that need to be replace as opposed to serviced. On the opposite end, though troubleshooting can be a bit daunting, the boardsets from the 2000's and earlier are every bit reliable and serviceable. Mechanisms and underplayfield components are largely the same, so the huge differences are the boardsets that run the game itself.

With that said, don't let the age of a machine scare you away from ownership due to perceived poor reliability. These aren't cars in that sense where "higher mileage" games are more prone to breakage. My advice to you is play lots of pinball on location near you to get a feel of what kind of game you might like. Buy from other collectors and buy something working. Build up a basic set of tools, including a good soldering iron, and learn how to solder. Start with something less expensive, to break you into the hobby. When you bring said machine home, take off the glass and look under the playfield. See how all the mechs work! They aren't that intimidating once you look at how a flipper works, or how a scoop mech works.

The nice thing is that machines generally hold their value. Buy a solid machine from another collector (probably best to stay local) and learn from all the helpful people here on the forum.

#10 5 years ago

Get Medieval madness. It's a theme for everyone. When my 8 year old sons friends come over, they are amazed by the castle and the trolls.
    And so are their parents.
    When my wife's friends are over they play it too.

I have owned over 40 different machines.
    Medieval madness is not going anywhere.
    The one pin I always wanted to own. And thanks to the remake, I could get a new one with a warranty for less than original ones sell for. Upgraded dots with optional color and a shaker too.

STTNG is a good pin. Lots to do. But a bit more maintainence than most pins.
    I was lucky to get a HUO one that wasn't beat. But still had to fix a couple things. I recently traded it for a Funhouse and xenon. Sold xenon and bought Breakshot. Don't regret that decision one bit.

I owned a South park at one point. It is a fun pin. Not that deep, but a good use of the theme. But it doesn't have staying power if it's your only machine.

Personally, if I could only have one. It would be MMR.

And now that I have MMr I'm real picky with what I want to get next. Because I feel all other pins pale in comparison.

#11 5 years ago

i wouldn't consider southpark a kid friendly pin either.

#12 5 years ago

My opinion is biased because I own a mmrle, but of your mentioned options this wins without any doubts. It's simple playfield layout and rules make it so anyone can play it and have fun.
    -Mike

#13 5 years ago

Go New in box with MMr. You won’t be disappointed. You’ll spend your time playing, not doing repairs on a 25 year old pin.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Go New in box with MMr. You won’t be disappointed. You’ll spend your time playing, not doing repairs on a 25 year old pin.

I barely touch my 35+ yr old pins. An older pin doesnt mean more maintenance and you shouldn't be scared away from them. Truth is, the older pins are built like tanks, to last out on location and make money.

Play machines on location if you can and buy what you like. If you have the money to buy NIB, great! But dont pass up a solid 3K or less machine because you're afraid that it's never going to work. Buy something working to begin with, then work on it as needed. You'll need to work on your NIB just as much as any other machine. Its just part of the hobby. GL

#15 5 years ago

MMR NIB.

#16 5 years ago

Batman66 SLE

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

How about Shrek or Family Guy, since you say you want something family friendly?

Well, Shrek would be ok, but Family Guy is definitely not family friendly. Funny as hell, but not for little ones.

#18 5 years ago

I enjoy both games. To be honest, you will eventually end up with more than one. They’re like tribbles!! I have a STTNG and have experienced some minor issues, but nothing that has destroyed the game for me. The theme is definitely a winner in my book.

Attack from Mars remake is amazing as well (especially the LE version with the topper). I’m also really looking forward to the Monster Bash remake (whenever that may be). Slugfest is a really fun family game and is very cheap, but is not technically a pinball.

It all depends on what you enjoy in a game. I happen to like games with obvious “missions” and a well-integrated theme. Game sound is important for my enjoyment as well.

I don’t think you would be disappointed by either MMR or STTNG. They are both amazing games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-or-medieval-madness-remake-first-machine-unique-backgro?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.