• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Normal Matrix (resized).png
Screenshot_20170917-191416 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a st:tng in immaculate condition. A 9.5/10 for sure...clean and solid. I played it multiple times before i bought it.

I get it home, small, smooth trip, game secured and protected.

I set it up, turn it on and game goes bonkers...not start up noises..im talking going bezerk!....launching probes with no balls...ball checking over and over.....just everything going off like crazy. Well one ball was resting between the glass and trough cover. Apparently dislodged during trip, so i dropped it back in thinking thats why the game was going nuts.

I start another game..still going a little nutty but not as bad as initial start up but still acting weird during game play...like throwing out a ball into the proble launcher while im in the middle of playing a game.

I only count 5 balls....pin does ball check, still, only 5 balls. I lifted play field..no 6th ball anywhere. The manual says the game uses 6 balls..and the multiball is 6 balls. So i take a ball from another pin and drop it in the trough to make 6 (2 locked and 4 in the trough). I start another game and it shoots two balls into the trough. It does this twice...now im cofused...i have 6 known balls in the game now and its doing this.

So i take the 6th ball back out, start a game and it plays fine...i played 3 games and no issues (still with only 5 known balls and no ball checking going on before during or after gameplay). I get to a Borg multiball and only get 3 balls which i should get 6 correct?

So being i played 3 games with no issues with 5 balls, is there a location on the game where a 6th ball is locked and i just ain't seeing it or its jammed or something?

I pretty distraught over this after the kind of money i dropped on this pin and from the first second i have it home i have issues with it.

Why if i put a 6th ball in there from another game it spits out two into the trough...should the trough only have 3 balls in it at all time and the other 3 stay locked somewhere??? i know two do but that 3rd one, where the heck is it????

Currently the game has been on, not played for last 20 minutes...3 balls in trough...no ball checking going on..no diagnostics going on. The game seems to be right with 5 balls..UNLESS of course there is that 6th one thats locked somewhere and is registering as the 6th ball wherever it is at.

Page 1-35 of manual says if a ball is missing it would show up as an error code.

In test T-18 (pages 1-8 and 1-18) i press enter and no ball clearing takes place. The display shows "Removing all balls from under playfield" and the game does nothing and there are only 3 balls in the trough. The directions clearly state during T-18 all balls in poppers and troughs will be kicked out.....no balls are kicking out....the game is 100% idle with zero sound..no ball kicking or checking...nothing..nada..zilthch.

Where is that freaking 6th ball dang it!

I hope im clear with my description...and any guidance will be helpful.

#2 6 years ago

Yes, the game takes 6 balls and the display will let you know if a ball is missing or not. During the test that allows you to clear all balls, be sure to push in the white buttons on the left just inside the coin door as this kills the high power voltage to the coils. Borg multiball is 3 ball. final Frontier wizard mode is 6 ball. There are balls staged in the subway as well as the trough.

#3 6 years ago

When you have 1 too many balls in the game, it will kick another ball out into the trough. And, by the way, STTNG is the most finicky pin you can ever own. It's my favorite, but is a challenge to keep running 100%. And, yes, moving it around can cause issues with any pin. It's 24 years old!

#4 6 years ago

Remove balls when you transport a game. Sucks to hear.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ksmmspt:

Yes, the game takes 6 balls and the display will let you know if a ball is missing or not. During the test that allows you to clear all balls, be sure to push in the white buttons on the left just inside the coin door as this kills the high power voltage to the coils. Borg multiball is 3 ball. final Frontier wizard mode is 6 ball. There are balls staged in the subway as well as the trough.

The display does not show an error code of any kind nor does it show a ball is missing. I did not push the white buttons in because i did not know i had to do this.

#6 6 years ago

Since it was transported with the balls left in. It is possible the 6th ball is in it. And something else is causing it to be stuck somewhere.
Check for bulbs, washers, old rubbers etc that were possibly left inside the cab. And are now stuck somewhere.

I bet that's your issue.
Never expect to be able to just turn on a pin and play that has just been transported.
And never leave the balls in a machine then move it.

#7 6 years ago

I still dont understand while in T-18 test its not kicking any balls out. The test is supposed to kick all balls out from the trough or anywhere else. The game does nothing in T-18.

#8 6 years ago

When you do the T- 18 make sure you close your coin door

#9 6 years ago

You need to push the white buttons on the side. inside the coindoor to run on the voltage to the coils. Or close the coindoor while the test is running.

Screenshot_20170917-191416 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170917-191416 (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

I had one with a broken upkick top, there was a ball hiding in there.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Since it was transported with the balls left in. It is possible the 6th ball is in it. And something else is causing it to be stuck somewhere.
Check for bulbs, washers, old rubbers etc that were possibly left inside the cab. And are now stuck somewhere.
I bet that's your issue.
Never expect to be able to just turn on a pin and play that has just been transported.
And never leave the balls in a machine then move it.

It has to be somewhere where it is registering to the game. Im not getting any missing ball errors but all i can visibly see is 5 balls at any given time. I have searched on playfield and under playfield...if the ball exisits it has to be in the game....but what if it never had 6 balls when i bought it?!?!?! I didnt check..i didnt think to check...and if a 6th was missing the game would display it and also wouldnt play properly with just 5 balls.

Where ever the 6th ball is it HAS to be somewhere where the balls is registering electronically....but where?!?!?!?!

Im very confused.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from maur:

When you do the T- 18 make sure you close your coin door

Ok..i will do this and report back

#13 6 years ago

If you added 1 extra it now thinks that all 6 balls are there but you actually have 7 in it. Which is why it's fireing 2 out to the shooter lane. All the switches that are supposed to be activated are. So it thinks it didn't fire the first ball out.

ST fires 2 balls out to load the cannons.
2 balls are always staged below the playfield in the cannon vuks. So that there is no delay while playing the game.

Empty all the balls from the machine. Power it off. Lift the playfield check in the bottom of the cabinet and under the playfield and habitrails for anything stuck or the 7th ball.

Then if you don't find anything go into switch edge test and see if any switches are stuck. Making it think there is a ball somewhere.

Then power it back off. Drop the 6 balls in the drain. And turn back on. It should fire two out to under the playfield.

#14 6 years ago

the sixth ball was in it all along, probably staged in the subway somewhere. when you added the 7th, that's when it was kicking two out into the shooter lane.

when the game starts up, it stages balls in two or three locations in the subway. that may be the "going berserk" behavior you observed. it's putting balls in the subway on purpose.

the other behavior you describe -- kicking an additional ball into play during your ball -- is usually due to dirty optos or bad solder on the optos.

#15 6 years ago

Ok..tell me before i do this....in a perfect world, two balls would be loaded in playfield and 4 balls in the trough? Correct?....That should be the set up if i walked into an arcade and dropped a quarter in it, right?

Becuase right now, before i do this testing u r suggesting there currently are two locked in playfield for cannons and 3 in the trough.....with no errors or gameplay issues...though i never got to a 6 multi ball scenario yet.

#16 6 years ago

1. take off the glass.

2. go into the menu, select Tests, and select T.18 - Clear Out Balls.

3. close the coin door, so that the solenoids have power.

4. grab the balls as it kicks them out -- there may be one in each cannon as well.

5. count them.

#17 6 years ago

there are three VUKs on the playfield. i think it can store balls at all three of these locations as well as the ball trough.

#18 6 years ago

Ok...did the test...i do have 6 balls...once confirmed i do have six, i opened the coin door...dropped all 6 back in the trough...got out of test mode..closed the door and the game shot out 3 balls to be locked!...i thought only 2 balls get locked (for the cannons)..but a third one gets locked also.....so where does that one get locked and what for?

What was confusing me was i though only 2 balls get locked....but its 3....that explains all the confusion on my end.

So what does the 3rd locked ball get locked for in the gameplay?

#19 6 years ago

Just to remove delay in your game when playing. So that when you lock a ball elsewhere
It can kick one out right away. Otherwise you would be constantly waiting during a game for it to kickout somewhere.

This is what's going on.... Directly from the pinball database:

There are three cellar holes in the upper half of the playfield. They lead to three VUKs below the playfield that will kick the ball up to the left habitrail or to either of the two cannons on top of the slingshots. To reduce the time it would take for a ball to fall into a cellar hole, roll down under the playfield to a VUK, and resurface back into play, a patented below-the-playfield multiple ball delivery system was developed. In this system, other balls are already positioned below the playfield, one in each of the three VUKs. As soon as the playfield ball falls into a cellar hole, the corresponding VUK kicks its ball into play. The playfield ball then rolls down to remain in the newly-vacated VUK. Game play is continuous, and time has been saved.

Patent #5,350,174 [BELOW THE PLAYFIELD BALL DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR A PINBALL GAME] filed October 28, 1993. Granted September 27, 1994 to Ritchie et al. Assignee is Williams Electronic Games, Inc.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Ok..tell me before i do this....in a perfect world, two balls would be loaded in playfield and 4 balls in the trough? Correct?

No, this is incorrect; three would be staged in the VUK's and 3 would be in the trough. STTNG has 3 VUKs and each one will be preloaded

Your matrix should look like this after the balls are all loaded

Normal Matrix (resized).pngNormal Matrix (resized).png

#21 6 years ago

the balls are staged at all three VUKs. one for each cannon, and one for the left VUK that feeds the left flipper.

#22 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's a setting as to whether you want the balls staged or not. I'd have to get my manual out to be sure but I think that's right.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-missing-6th-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.