Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mskoenen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Whenever the knocker (solenoid #7) is plugged in, fuse 105 blows immediately on power up. If I unplug the knocker, the game works perfectly. Resistance of the coil is 4.2 Ohms plugged in or not, which is what it should be I think. Power driver board is brand new Rottendog replacement, associated driver transistor is Q68 and I see no visible signs of damage. The board worked perfectly when first installed a week ago, do I have an early failure? Is the Q68 driver transistor the only possible culprit, or could there be anther place to look?

#2 4 years ago

does toe coil lock on when you turn the game on?
sound like the driver transistor is bad.

#3 4 years ago

I'd test that transistor first, especially if this only started happening after you installed the new board. TURN OFF THE MACHINE TO TEST THIS. Put your meter to diode setting. Put the red lead on the big metal tab of the Tip36c and the black lead on each of the outside legs. You should get .4 to .6 volts on either leg. Put your black lead on the center leg now and you should get a 0 reading. Next put your black lead on the left leg and move your red lead to the center leg and again you should get .4 to .6 volts. Now keep the black lead on the left leg and move the red lead to the right leg and you should get .2 volts. If you get readings outside of those numbers, the transistor is bad and needs replacing.

Also, make sure the associated diode for that coil on the board is good.

Other than that, make sure the tieback wire on the little drop target coil is still in place. This probably isn't the cause, since it would most likely cause issues regardless of the knocker being plugged in, but it doesn't hurt to check. This thread explains the tieback wire:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback-clarification#post-4915211

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-tng-knocker-blows-fuse?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.