(Topic ID: 135460)

Star Trek: The Next Generation - lots of air balls.

By Zenador

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1265.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hoping for a bit of insight/guidance here.

As the title says, I feel that my ST:TNG is suffering from too many airballs. I've spent the morning watching videos of others playing, and I don't recall one ball flying - aside from the canons.

In any game, I can hit the shuttle targets, Q/Adv. Mission target/posts, Alpha Ramp posts, or command decision posts, and that ball has a good chance of getting air borne. The Q/Adv Mission posts are probably the worst, getting high enough to hit the habitrail. I've also had it fly to the left over the command hole, and stops under the Delta ramp on the plastic.

I've leveled the PF to 6.5 deg, and changing it up or down doesn't seem to help the air ball effect. It is level to 0.0 left right (using a digital inclinometer.) The PF is in great condition, no wear in the paint/coating, no bubbles. All original, no mylar.

I'm about change all the ships with the Hallmark ones, new target decals, paint and dome the canons, so while I have things coming apart, what else should I be looking at? It's not "unplayable" - but it's kinda annoying.

Cheers,

Z

#2 8 years ago

Weird .. I definitely do not get air balls like that. I know on mine the shuttle ramp posts are angled downwards toward the playfield. Without that, when they are struck, they would bend backwards forming a ramp to launch the ball into the air. Might try bending them forward a bit. Same goes for Q and the posts. Another thing to check is the foam on the back of these targets -- if it's in bad shape or missing, that could be causing them to flex more than is desirable.

As an aside, I feel this game plays better at an angle steeper than 6.5 degrees -- less side to side ball movement, and therefore slightly fewer side drains. I don't have any trouble at all hitting any ramps and mine is set pretty steep.

#3 8 years ago

I never get airballs when I play mine.

#4 8 years ago

Are the flipper rubbers installed correctly? Are the flippers at the correct height? Either one of those might sometimes cause air balls.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks guys...

pezpunk - I'll check the posts and targets when I get home. How much steeper than 6.5 are you talking? 7? 7.5 deg?

joekiss - That's what I'm aiming for.

ForceFlow - Yeah, I just replaced the flipper rubber last week or so with blue supers. Was doing it before and after, and it's not off the flippers that it's airborne.

If I don't find anything, I will take some pics and maybe a vid of the issue and post them.

Z

#6 8 years ago

I get the same thing on mine but I have only had it since last Thursday. Comes off those same posts and sometimes hits the launch ramp.

#7 8 years ago

I get air balls off both shuttle targets. The ball bounces off them and hits the loop from which the ball is served. I have an Enterprise ship mounted near there, where it gets hit occasionally. The wire form is loose enough that the ship bounces back into place without any damage. Other than that, no problems. I live with it because it's no big deal.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

I get the same thing on mine but I have only had it since last Thursday. Comes off those same posts and sometimes hits the launch ramp.

Same, haven't really looked at it much. I stuffed an extra foam pad behind my TZ clock target to fix that doing the same thing.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

I have an Enterprise ship mounted near there

Do you have a pic? Sounds cool... Does it block your view?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from PinPall007:

I get air balls off both shuttle targets. The ball bounces off them and hits the loop from which the ball is served. I have an Enterprise ship mounted near there, where it gets hit occasionally. The wire form is loose enough that the ship bounces back into place without any damage. Other than that, no problems. I live with it because it's no big deal.

I've had mine 3 weeks. It's not ruining the game for me, but I'd like it "fixed" as much as possible. As I'm going to be doing other work on it, seems like the best time to tackle it. I'm also adding the Enterprise to the toys, and would prefer to not bash the crap out of them. Living in the land of the plunging Loonie (cough Canada) buying stuff of Ebay is getting expensive. $10 toys are $30 to ship.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Zenador:

Thanks guys...
pezpunk - I'll check the posts and targets when I get home. How much steeper than 6.5 are you talking? 7? 7.5 deg?

i mean ... it's up to personal preference. mine is set to 7 degrees (just went down and measured). give 7.5 degrees a try, it'd probably be pretty fun and even less drainy, as long as the launcher can make the top hole, and the flippers can make the beta and delta quadrant ramps (by the way, delta failures with the third flipper are rarely a problem with flipper power, even though players really want to think that! )

Quoted from PinPall007:

again, just make sure these are bent forwards a bit, and the foam is in good shape, and that should reduce airballs off of those targets.

#12 8 years ago

So the foam in most of my targets is shit. And the target's rear post (shuttle tartgets and Q target) were back far enough that it's launching the balls into the air. Need to replace that foam. Bending the posts forward helped control the rebound, the foam should cure it the rest of the way.

I also tried adjusting the table pitch up to 7 Deg. Less drains, but I could not hit the Alpha ramp to save my life off the left flipper. Brought it back down to 6.8 and I could make the shot. I'm still working on dialing it in - last night was such a bad night of games that the game knocked 50M off the replay score. So sad... lol.

Thanks for the insight people...

Z

#13 8 years ago

haha. it happens. the game is brutal. good luck!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

Upon reading your post, I've tried to upload pics, however, the uploader will not open. To answer your second question, at the angle to which I have it adjusted the Enterprise doesn't block my view. It can be placed in any direction of my choosing. The armature is a thin piece of stainless wire I bought at the local hardware store. The gauge of the wire allows it to act as a nice, springy shock absorber. Works great! I will try the uploader later.

#15 8 years ago

My Enterprise is mounted in front of the left VUK. Does not obstruct the view. Also, each time a ball is released there it makes the Enteprise transport noise as it flashes so it makes sense (to me)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Airballs from target hits, check pinball resource for reinforced targets. I've got them on TZ clock target, slot target and on TOM center ramp targets. That are a must. If STTNG needs them pinball resource has most likely made them.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from angryjeep:

Ah, the upload works! Here are some pics.IMG_1265.JPGIMG_1265.JPGIMG_1266.JPGIMG_1266.JPG

7 months later
#18 8 years ago

I have had my STTNG machine for about 4 weeks now and the "airball" issue has been pretty much as the OP describes. I have thought it had to do with the foam behind the targets but wasn't sure what can be done to fix that. Do they sell just the foam or do the entire target switches need to be replaced? I have had some hit the shuttle target next to the beta quadrant ramp launch balls over the habitrail, into the right side track, into the right cannon, I have had them go left into the command hole, the left side track or actually fly over the flippers into the drain lanes. Don't remember seeing this much "airtime" when playing this table in the bars. Thanks for letting me add my observations and hope for a solution. Was very happy to see this post and hope for any answers.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Airballs from target hits, check pinball resource for reinforced targets. I've got them on TZ clock target, slot target and on TOM center ramp targets. That are a must. If STTNG needs them pinball resource has most likely made them.

Interesting, I'd never heard of these till now:
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#pbre

Doesn't look like there's a red one that would color match STTNG but perhaps a blue one would work.
I don't normally get insane airballs though like has been described here, but some definitely off of the left 2x shuttle target.

#21 8 years ago

My Getaway has played like a champ for long time but recently started getting lots of air balls off targets. Same problem - foam wore out. I plan on buying a bunch to replace them all and having a bunch of extras.

7 years later
#22 18 days ago

My machine was suffering from too many air balls as well. After replacing all the targets and rubbers there hasn't been a single one. The targets were bent out of whack and the post rubbers were old and hard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-the-next-generation-lots-of-air-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.