• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1340a_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

I have a STTNG pin which I purchased a few months ago. I am having several issues with it which I will continue to post in this thread, but the primary issues are with the cannons ("probes").

The right cannon has a delayed shot (when I pull the trigger, it makes the shooting noise, but the gun doesn't fire for another second or two). This makes it really hard to aim!

The left cannon works sometimes. The issue is that the ball is loaded and as it swings down to the right (toward the flippers), the ball falls out. It doesn't look like there are any parts missing, but the ball falls out every time.

Any thoughts on how to address these?

(As a side note, I will be looking to sell this game once I get it all fixed up! If you're interested feel free to PM me.)

Thanks in advance!

Derek

#2 8 years ago

Anytime you have an STTNG with cannon issues and the machine is still running the original factory harnesses, it's probably best to just replace the harnesses first and trouble shoot later. IMHO.

Its a moving part that has done its share of moving over the years. That is why those harnesses are stocked at various places.

Alternately you can ohm and flex each wire to test. But I chose to save my time and just replace mine as soon as I got the game and if gave me any indication of wierdness in the cannons. Never had a problem since.

#3 8 years ago

Can you post a pic of the bottom side of the left cannon mech, it should not be possible for the cannon to have so much rotation that the ball falls out ... my first guess is that someone did something they shouldn't have done. It should look like this:

IMG_1340a_(resized).jpgIMG_1340a_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

Did you run the canon tests in test mode? Sounds like the home switch is broken on the left canon under the playfield.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I actually figured this out. Here was my troubleshooting process, for future reference for others...
1. Test Mode. Everything works fine, except the ball still falls out. No delayed shoot in test mode.
2. Opened up the cannons from the top to inspect for issues... Solder joints on the coil lugs looked ugly, so I reflowed solder there. No other issues.
3. Inspected more closely the area where the ball is loaded into the cannon. The cannon was sitting way lower than the habitrail. I then realized that the front part of the cannon where the ball sits had a downward angle on it. With a pair of pliers I carefully adjusted it so that it was back to normal (almost flush with the habitrail).
4. Other cannon had the same issue, but the angle was less, so the ball wasn't rolling out... just rolling forward a little bit and the opto could only see it intermittently (I'm guessing this was the reason for the delayed shoot). Anyway, I adjusted both back to normal and both problems seems to be fixed.

I can't understand why someone would do this... Unless the game was pitched so that it played extremely fact and the cannons were bent out of place to accommodate.

Thanks again for the help!

Derek

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

my first guess is that someone did something they shouldn't have done

I just had to quote myself on that I'm glad you got it all fixed, enjoy the game!

#7 8 years ago

Lol! Good call! You got it!

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-the-next-generation-cannon-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.