Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU Damage 1 (resized).jpg
MPU Damage 2 (resized).jpg
1496618603476389263388 (resized).jpg
14966185803991089260144 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Me and my father have recently purchased a stng pinball and have been tring to iron out some of its common problems but havent had any luck yet.

Currently we are trying to fix the common issue of ball location at the games startup. We have narrowed it down to the optos 36 46 and 66 are not triggering but are emitting. In the switch test menu they are all labled as closed and randomly blink open together.

We asumed this meant there was a short in the white blue wire and via cheaking continuity have traced it back to the main board.

Now we are not really sure what needs to be cheaked but we did see what looked like some sketchy soldering on the board. We removed the solder but are not realy sure what the person who did the soldering was doing or what it was suposed to look like.

14966185803991089260144 (resized).jpg14966185803991089260144 (resized).jpg
1496618603476389263388 (resized).jpg1496618603476389263388 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from kirellterra:

but are not realy sure what the person who did the soldering was doing or what it was suposed to look like.

You probably need someone good for this. Chrishibler or Borygard both post here, contact them for help.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Just buy a new board for $150 bucks.

#4 6 years ago

Just as an update we tried to solder new resistors into those slots and the board wouldn't take solder. We did the best we could bit when we put it back in and alot more swithches wmt haywire and started flashing and the cannons couldn't find home which was a problem we had already fixed. We only messed with those resistors so we are assuming its just lack of contact with our soldering job.

We are probably just going to purchase an upgraded board considering we got tha machine for relatively cheap.

#5 6 years ago

Post where you are located. You never know, there may be a local Pinsider that would help you repair that board.

#6 6 years ago

We actually own a twilight zome as well and are thinking about swapping the board just to see if it helps but we are not sure how risky its is, and sugestions or tips for swaping boards?

#7 6 years ago

If you have another board, then you can easily see how the damaged area of the board should look, where the traces go. You could repair your existing board, replace the components and use solder and/or wire to replace the damaged traces.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from kirellterra:

We actually own a twilight zome as well and are thinking about swapping the board just to see if it helps but we are not sure how risky its is, and sugestions or tips for swaping boards?

Swapping boards is fine as long as the use the same board. If something damaged a board though and that thing is still present (e.g. a short) it may well take out another perfectly good board. You will also need to swap out the other chips on the MPU to get it to work right. MPU's don't cost much and can be hard to work on. I would personally just buy another one but I can see how you would want to swap a board to confirm that is the problem.

#9 6 years ago

Hmm, is that battery corrosion peeking out from under the battery holder? If so, that may help explain the damaged area on the board, plus who knows what else may be damaged on that board.

#10 6 years ago

Yes that is battery corrosion its what did the initial dammage that the last owner tried to fix, we went ahead and hare having the two main boards looked at and repaired.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Hmm, is that battery corrosion peeking out from under the battery holder? If so, that may help explain the damaged area on the board, plus who knows what else may be damaged on that board.

My MPU board as well, heavy corrosion from when I purchased it. I cleaned with vinegar and distilled water, some of the lights came back on, but the diagnostic switch still isn't functioning and the U16 controls that function which looks like it needs to be replaced. I have never soldered before, so my plan is to purchase a new MPU as a replacement, then lean into this abused little guy, see if I can bring it back to life at my leisure...Ironically the machine is a Spanish Pin, when I took the MPU out to clean it factory reset to pre-euro Pesetas With the diagnostic test switch disabled I cant move to free play or credits without using a direct connection My wife was amused...

This board is a mess, earnestly looking forward to becoming proficient with circuit board repair!

MPU Damage 2 (resized).jpgMPU Damage 2 (resized).jpg

MPU Damage 1 (resized).jpgMPU Damage 1 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#12 6 years ago

So we got our cpu board back and it turns out we have a short either still in the board or under the playfield that is damaging the board. We were cheaking the wires coming from the playfeild on the J207 board and noticed all the wires coming from the opto board (3,4,6) are hot at 12 volts. Is this normal?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 64.99

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-the-next-generation-ball-location-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.