20161203_195540 (resized).jpg
20161023_204455 (resized).jpg
20161018_182838 (resized).jpg
highscore.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
st_met_altart.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 8 years ago

During Vengeance MB, just shoot spinner and warps. Not worth many points. Klingon multi ball can be huge points. Make sure to combo the super jackpot for 40M!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Why would you only hit the spinner and warps during Vengeance MB? I consistently finish the mode, comboing the last shot for 10 million + points. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but not something to squander either.

I think there are more points to be had with warps and working way up to double scoring. Once near Warp 9.1 or 9.9, I usually wait until Klingon mb, new mode, or Kobiyashi Maru. With ball save on, I'll shoot Vengeance but its a pretty dangerous shot and tend to drain out fast from that multi ball. Like you said in the grand scheme of things, not worth a ton. However, double scoring stacked into something mentioned above is huge points. Just my thought.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I guess I just figure if you are that good with the warp ramp, you could do that at any time. I'm not sure why you would do it on Vengeance MB. I would also think the warp shots would be more difficult to make with MB. Perhaps I'm missing something . . . .
One of the things I think that is keeping me an "average" player on this pin is my inability to hit the warp ramp consistently. My warp champion score is only 12 or 13. I have yet to get to 9.9. And, I can never time when 9.1 will hit, if at all (it is still a rarity that I get it at all). I've been practicing though and trying to think about how to time my shots. I noticed that to get the first warp in a string, it is usually better to hit the ball near the tip of the flipper. But, once I get one, as the ball whips back around, I find that if I try to hit the button when the ball is at about the mid point of the flipper, I can sometimes get 2 or 3 more in a row. I'm not sure if others have noticed the same. . . .

The key would be to cradle up and try to have one or two balls on the left flipper and one on the right flipper. Then shoot spinner and warps repeatedly until you miss. Get back to that situation and repeat. For fun today, I actually focused on completing Vengeance MB and had double scoring going during some of it. I got through victory laps two times through and still only ended the multi ball with 50m.

You can really get some value on the spinner if you get through Nero 1, 2, and 3 to double the spinner the rest of the game. Nero 2 is best completed during a multi ball.

Hammering down on modes is a very fun way to play the game if you want a change. I would recommend doing Klingon and Nero to get the spinner and left ramp doubled. One benefit of doing this is that once you get to Kobiyashi Maru, the medals earned from level 2 and 3 modes are also awarded. I was able to cash in a kobiyashi with 11 missions completed, which was a base of 87m (if had double scoring on, it would have been 174m).

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I tried the soft plunge during Vengeance MB this weekend, but I got flustered quickly and couldn't get the timing down. I think it might help for me to see someone do it. If any of you have videos that you could post that would be great.
I definitely get cradling two balls on the left flipper and hitting the spinner and warp with the right. I'm just not that good enough at the warp ramp to have this pay off, and I'm not sure I want to risk my 10 million+ points. Still, I think it will be something to try now and again, for practice at least.
I still love the warp ramp and love those few times when I get 4 or so shots in a row. It is such a rush. I just wish I could do it more. Until I can, I'm going to consider this a strategy for an above average player and not just an average one like me.

Just keep practicing. As with everything, more practice with it and you'll be better. Dead bouncing and drop catching during multi ball is huge to get all the balls under control.

1 week later
#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Here's both a generic question and a Star Trek related question, but are you guys able to effectively control the balls during a 4 ball multiball? I find that I can control a 2 ball MB ok by capturing one and hitting the other one around with the other flipper. I can sometimes control 3 balls, can capture two and hit the other ball around. I can even sometimes separate the balls effectively if they land on the same flipper. However, once we reach 4 balls, I'm left with just hitting the balls randomly around trying to keep them in play. So during both Klingon and Vengeance MB, if I get a 4th ball added on, I usually just find myself staring at the flippers and hitting the balls whenever I can. If I hit the Vengeance or other shots, great. But I don't do it on purpose. I need to wait until at least one ball drains before I can take stock, get things under control and see what needs to be done. So do you guys do the same, or are you able to actually control things during a 4 ball multiball?

Controlling 4 ball multiballs in any game is tough. I prefer to have a 3 ball multiball and cradle up and hit shots. As you said much easier to control. With that being said, try to avoid hitting the add-a-ball shot whatever its called until you are down to 2 balls. This will keep your multiball at only 3 balls and will give you another ball save, which is key. Hitting that shot right away not only adds a 4th ball which can be hard to control, but it also extends your ball save by a little bit. You would much rather have two separate ball saves during a multiball.

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So I finally did the soft plunge successfully during Vengeance MB. On my first ball, I soft plunged it and got a warp. Just one, but I felt accomplished. Unfortunately, I quickly started a four ball multiball so at that point I just went for destroying the Vengeance. At the end, during victory laps, I was down to two balls so I cradled one on the left flipper and just went for warps. Didn't get any but I felt better with this tactic overall.

Just keep practicing, the short plunge during vengeance is key. You can either hit warps or let the ball go all the way to the right flipper for a live catch. Sometimes when a warp shot isn't necessary, this is a very easy way to get the ball back under control.

#85 8 years ago

Eskaybee -- good post, that is what I have been doing lately and I think its the quickest way to high points. Also one typo - Klingon Battle doubles the left ramp, not the spinner.

The biggest area for massive scores is when you get double scoring going before cashing in Maru or Enterprise Amok. Not only does it double your medal total, but it helps big time when you cash in each Maru jackpot. The highest base value for a Maru jackpot (second time you hit the shot) is 7.5m. Of course this can be doubled for 15m through a combo. With warp double scoring going this can be 30m (potentially up to 6 shots) with a double scoring and combo shot (7.5*2*2).

I got to Amok in three straight games, but still am having trouble doing well in that mode. Can anyone explain the ruleset to Amok? Seems like you add a ball with a certain number of shots, but idk.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

For those of you who can hit the shot consistently and time the reward, do you have any tips? Is it just practice that helps, or do you guys have an innate sense of timing that I seem to lack?

Practice definitely helps. Also finding the right spot on the flipper is key and from there its just timing in order to get 7 in a row or so. I've played some ST's where the flippers are a little weaker, which makes the warp shot much tougher. Big time scores will be hard to achieve without utilizing the double scoring for 60 seconds. My highest games are usually when I'm at 40 plus warps, meaning I've had double scoring lit 4 times and cashed in big time on a few of them.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Dear average players, this thread has gone way overboard. You absolutely do not need to reach double scoring even one time to be competitive in your local leagues and tournaments.
If you are routinely getting double scoring 4 times in a game, then your machine is set up way too easy. I play against some of the top players and I've never seen anyone get it more than once in match or league play.

Completely agree with scoring for league/tourney play. In those instances, with more pressure and noise around you, going for Kobi Maru is the best way to go. A local bar next to me just got a brand new ST so with strong upper flipper and no background noise or anything, 40+ ramps is very doable if you can get the timing down. And I'm sure some of the top players have gotten to Warp 9.9 in a league or tourney setting. I've seen it a few times so far from some of our top players. But the great thing with ST, is there are numerous opportunities for big points even if double scoring isn't activated.

1 week later
#132 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Great tips, ectobar. I would love to see more tips on level 2 and 3 modes. I forget which ones, but some are confusing with how you are suppose to play them.

For tier 2, the best modes to do while in multiball are Nero (10 shots) and STE (8ish shots) since both modes are not timed and have a good number of lit shots. Space Jump 2 is really same as tier one, but its a quick timer and 6 shots I think to finish. First three shots I like to do is left ramp to right ramp to spinner. After that just hit the last three lit shots. DTD 2 was explained earlier in thread and much better than I could do. KB2 is super easy if left ramp shot is repeatable. If it is just shoot that 6 straight times and its over. Prime Directive 2 is similar to SJ, just hit the lit shots before the timer ends. As with everything, combos can be very lucrative in these tier 2 modes as well as hitting the multicolor flashing shot (number of these hit determines what medal you get). Medals become very lucrative in Kobi Maru and Enterprise Amok.

For tier 3, Nero is by far the easiest to complete, which is why I agree with trying to complete all three Nero's in order to double spinner. Then start DTD, hit one lit shot, then start galactic spinner. Shoot spinner, let it come all the way around for a live catch, combo spinner again for 4x shots. Rinse, repeat 8 times until gold medal is lit. For final shot, shoot left VUK for big points (can be combo'd if done perfect timing).

Nero 3 has two lit shots. One shot is controlled by the left flipper and the other by the right flipper. The best way to complete this mode is to cradle up on the left flipper, then use the right flipper to set the lit shot on the left ramp. Then hit 5 straight left ramps without hitting the right flipper, since that would move the arrow to the spinner or vengeance shot whichever way that rotates. This is almost impossible to complete during a multiball, so do it during single ball play.

DTD3 is very similar to DTD2. Really the rest of the tier 3 modes are just hitting the lit shot before the timer runs out. Sometimes only one shot will be lit, so it's very important to be accurate on shooting.

I'd encourage everyone to attempt every mode just for fun to see how they all are. When you get the left ramp or spinner doubled for rest of the game, then when you are going through the rest of the tier one and two modes, they are very very lucrative.

I wouldn't classify any specific mode as very hard; however, with 18 of them and usually only 5 balls, it's very very hard to get to Amok or Five Year Mission. You really have to have that goal before the game starts and not really worry about your score, which can be hard to do at times. Hope this helps for everyone. This game has countless scoring strategies, and I'm sure some other people have found one that suits them best.

1 week later
#200 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Based on the comments in this thread, I think the most lucrative mission to go three deep in is Nero1-3. Lighting the left orbit for 2x points just pays off in so many ways: play DTD and light galactic spinner, play STE and light galactic warps, play PD and light galactic lanes. All can be cashed in on by constantly hitting that orbit. I don't think any other shot has as many scoring opportunities when lit. And, the left orbit is easy to hit from both flippers. Nero 1-3 is also not a hard set of missions to get through, especially when you know how Nero3 works.

Right on! Points galore especially when combo'd for 4x!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballer0415.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-strategies-for-the-average-player?tu=pinballer0415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.