20161203_195540 (resized).jpg
20161023_204455 (resized).jpg
20161018_182838 (resized).jpg
highscore.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
st_met_altart.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago

My best scores are around 430m but anytime I get over 200m it is a good game. My strategy is just trying to max scoring in every mode. I try to coordinate double scoring with kobi m but that doesn't always happen. Gat is the key to scoring big on lv1 modes. Combos are extremely important because it doubles the score. Klingon multiball can be worth a ton of points when making shots back to back. Getting extra balls is also key. Getting EB from warp is tough but not too hard in vengeance battle.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

What is GAT?
All I really know about this game is: shoot combos, finish modes (seems like doing the add-on sub-mode from the Away Team shot is lucrative), get three in a row, how black hole/add-a-ball works, and I try to avoid progressing much through Vengeance modes because the ones after multi-ball are just too dangerous.

GAT - Galactic Away Team

I love playing vengeance modes. In vengeance scoring, you get an extra ball for finishing which is huge for me. Sudden death in vengeance battle is one of the coolest things in the game. I try to get it on a combo and that makes it pretty challenging. If you have a big score like over 200m the pay off with a combo is huge. The magnet does fling the ball pretty fast but I think that is a cool feature.

#22 8 years ago

One thing I did in the past and what a lot of inexperienced players do is hit the punch button whenever lit or at the end of ball for whatever reason. If you save up all your shots for vengeance multiball, you can destroy the vengeance very quickly and start doing victory laps with ball save still on. I fire off a few shots to get close to activating the vengeance mode and don't hit it again until I am ready for the mode. Once a vengeance mode is available, you will not be able to automatically start a mode on a ball launch. I didn't understand that for quite a while.

2 weeks later
#42 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

During Vengeance MB, just shoot spinner and warps. Not worth many points. Klingon multi ball can be huge points. Make sure to combo the super jackpot for 40M!

Agreed. You can get 10m for getting the last shot on a combo but you can more than that for playing any mode. I don't know why scoring is so low in that multiball but huge in Klingon multiball. Once I got over 40m just by getting a lot of shots on combos - no super jackpot or multipliers. It's very hard for me to get to the super jackpot. I think I only did it once.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I guess I just figure if you are that good with the warp ramp, you could do that at any time. I'm not sure why you would do it on Vengeance MB. I would also think the warp shots would be more difficult to make with MB. Perhaps I'm missing something . . . .
One of the things I think that is keeping me an "average" player on this pin is my inability to hit the warp ramp consistently. My warp champion score is only 12 or 13. I have yet to get to 9.9. And, I can never time when 9.1 will hit, if at all (it is still a rarity that I get it at all). I've been practicing though and trying to think about how to time my shots.

Not sure it helps but I have super bands. They feel more firm to me and help make better shots. Some have the opposite opinion so who knows. If the ball is not coming back cleanly to the flipper at all you can try to adjust the warp ramp exit. I think I hit the flipper more on a sense of time then where the ball is on the flipper. The ball goes so fast that if you wait for the ball you will be late.

One trick is that if the ball comes straight across the playfield towards the upper flipper (often on missed warp shot), hold the flipper up. That will deflect the ball back up the right orbit and line you up with an easy shot.

Generally, I shot for the warp every chance I get. Sometimes I am able to get warp 9.1 at the right time but that's not easy.

2 weeks later
#88 8 years ago

I don't know if the skill shot is worth going for. It's probably better in the long run to get the ball into the pops and then take a shot at the warp when it comes down. Bonus points are often more than a million so getting 2x or 3x can be more important. I still go for skill shots just for fun. I hold down the right flipper and short plunge for a shot at the warp. I then hold the left flipper for the other skill shot on the next plunge during the same ball. Someone else pointed out that you can go for both skill shots during a ball. It's sometimes advantageous to use the left flipper hold skill shot to get the ball quickly to the flippers for a timed shot.

#93 8 years ago

I get hot and cold with the warp shot. Sometimes I can get a string of 4 or 5 in a row and other times I can't hit it once. My only advice is to try and keep track of what warp you are on and how many locks. If I am close to a mb or km and on warp 8/9, I will hold off shooting warps until the right time. Rarely does that work out, though.

#98 8 years ago

I'm far from getting 40+ warps. I did have my best game tonight and was hot hitting the warps. This time I actually did well with double scoring. At the first warp 9.1, I started Klingon Multiball but didn't do all that great. At 9.9, I started Koby Maru and did well with 146m. Hard to keep the 2nd ball in play with all the lights out lol. I got to warp 9.1 again but only made it halfway through the lv2 modes. In the end, I got my best score of 454m and very pleased. It's been a while since I had a good game. The funny thing is I started the game bad and drained the first two balls fast.

#101 8 years ago

I set my game up to be a little easier. I narrowed the outlanes, reduced the sling power, changed awards/specials to extra balls, and installed super post rubbers (easier to nudge ball out of danger imo).

1 week later
#124 8 years ago

Great tips, ectobar. I would love to see more tips on level 2 and 3 modes. I forget which ones, but some are confusing with how you are suppose to play them.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Torpedoes in victory laps only effects the vengeance shot. So you really only get one free shot with the torpedo button. Then the lights go out on the torpedoes til you complete all victory laps and the vengeance victory lap is lit again. That make sense (typing on my phone)?

Agreed. It also does that when starting a Vengeance mode. All lights go out and the fire button is disabled until you start a Vengeance mode. Once the mode is started, you get all the torpedo shots you had before. For a while, I also thought shots were lost when playing Vengeance modes.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Are you guys hitting the warp ramp consistently when the ball comes out of the pops?
I'm having a hell of a time with it.
The ball does not run smoothly along the wall past the flipper, instead it bounces of the side and goes by the flipper in a slightly different way every time.
Can't seem to level my table in a way that get it to travel smoothly out the pops

A video may help. I usually can get a good shot at the warp but it's not always perfect being pinball. My ball usually falls out of the pops at the bottom, rolls down the bottom wall (where it likes to get stuck), and slowly roll out into the right orbit.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

For tier 2, the best modes to do while in multiball are Nero (10 shots) and STE (8ish shots) since both modes are not timed and have a good number of lit shots. Space Jump 2 is really same as tier one, but its a quick timer and 6 shots I think to finish. First three shots I like to do is left ramp to right ramp to spinner. After that just hit the last three lit shots. DTD 2 was explained earlier in thread and much better than I could do. KB2 is super easy if left ramp shot is repeatable. If it is just shoot that 6 straight times and its over. Prime Directive 2 is similar to SJ, just hit the lit shots before the timer ends. As with everything, combos can be very lucrative in these tier 2 modes as well as hitting the multicolor flashing shot (number of these hit determines what medal you get). Medals become very lucrative in Kobi Maru and Enterprise Amok.
For tier 3, Nero is by far the easiest to complete, which is why I agree with trying to complete all three Nero's in order to double spinner. Then start DTD, hit one lit shot, then start galactic spinner. Shoot spinner, let it come all the way around for a live catch, combo spinner again for 4x shots. Rinse, repeat 8 times until gold medal is lit. For final shot, shoot left VUK for big points (can be combo'd if done perfect timing).
Nero 3 has two lit shots. One shot is controlled by the left flipper and the other by the right flipper. The best way to complete this mode is to cradle up on the left flipper, then use the right flipper to set the lit shot on the left ramp. Then hit 5 straight left ramps without hitting the right flipper, since that would move the arrow to the spinner or vengeance shot whichever way that rotates. This is almost impossible to complete during a multiball, so do it during single ball play.
DTD3 is very similar to DTD2. Really the rest of the tier 3 modes are just hitting the lit shot before the timer runs out. Sometimes only one shot will be lit, so it's very important to be accurate on shooting.
I'd encourage everyone to attempt every mode just for fun to see how they all are. When you get the left ramp or spinner doubled for rest of the game, then when you are going through the rest of the tier one and two modes, they are very very lucrative.
I wouldn't classify any specific mode as very hard; however, with 18 of them and usually only 5 balls, it's very very hard to get to Amok or Five Year Mission. You really have to have that goal before the game starts and not really worry about your score, which can be hard to do at times. Hope this helps for everyone. This game has countless scoring strategies, and I'm sure some other people have found one that suits them best.

Great info, thanks. I am going to try the spinner strategy with Nero. That sounds fun.

Isn't there one level 2 mode (DTD2?) where multiple shots are lit and others are flashing? Hitting lit shots didn't count - only the flashing shots would progress the mode. At least it seemed like that. I don't play the lv2 or lv3 modes very often. Getting to Kob. Maru is a decent enough challenge for me.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

DtD 2. The goal is to complete 6 of the 7 shots. The shots light(blink) and go out in a fan pattern. As you hit the shots, they will stop blinking. So don't aim for solid lit shots anymore. During the mode, one rotating shot will also be worth double. On the prem/le this shot is shown by an alternating red/blue blink. Not sure how the pro handles it, different blink pattern?
Once you have made 6 lights stop blinking the mode is over.

Makes sense now. Thanks for explaining that!

#178 8 years ago

Nice, SKB. That's got to be tough to beat for anyone. Strange that you can get an incredible score and still not finish the game.

#183 8 years ago

Being impatient, I hit both flippers to bypass medal count for Koby Maru. Don't do that lol. The game still turns off the lights and back on as if it is counting the medals while you are playing. Good thing there is a long ball save. Music is also stuck on Koby Maru until you drain.

#196 8 years ago

A billion and 5 year mission will probably always be out of reach for me. My big goal is to make it to EA. I got so close once but choked.

#208 8 years ago

Nice nokoro! Great score. I get the same way when I have a really good game. It's tough to play well that deep into the game.

3 weeks later
#230 8 years ago

I'm not sure how scoring works but I have got 40+m in DtD in GAT mode with just two warp hits. I think the key is to hit many shots and then activate GAT near the end of the timer.

My other fav GAT is StE. Spinner shot is fairly safe and easy. Nero can pay off but I shooting for the targets is dangerous for me. Other ones don't really add up for me but still fun to go for it.

4 months later
#260 8 years ago
Quoted from Pins4me:

Ok, I must confess, I suck at pinball but I love Star Trek.
I am more of a keep the ball alive kind of person, but lately I have been trying some of the strategies to earn more points.
My question is this. I have trouble getting the ball into the away team when lit.
Any help as to which flipper, and how much power and where on the flipper to have the ball to get this shot. Truth be told, right now it pure stupid luck as to when I get it in there at the right time, and I have been trying, but I haven't found that sweet spot yet.
I have the same issue with the warp ramp.
Thanks guys.
May the force, err, Live Long and Prosper

Like the others said, best thing is to gain control of the ball on the left flipper, hold the right flipper, and hit the ball of the edge of the flipper. It took me a long time to get a feel for the shot but it's never an easy shot. I have my slings dialed down and often the ball gets slung up around the right flipper. If it looks like the ball might get a bounce up around the 3rd flipper, hold it open.

The warp shot is also a tough shot. If you miss high, hold the right flipper to catch the rebound. Often the ball will be directed back up the right orbit off the flipper and give you another chance. It would also be good to check the level of your machine.

2 weeks later
#264 8 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

For the skill shots
Holding down the LEFT flipper opens the gate allowing the ball all the way round so you have a shot at the right ramp for a skill shot
Holding down the RIGHT flipper shuts the gate allowing the ball to bounce back down the right loop allowing for a skill shot at the warp ramp.
In normal play if you get the ball back to the plunger lane you can do the OPPOSITE skill shot to which you have already done on that ball.
Hope that clarifies.

True but to clarify - When holding down the left flipper, the skill shot could be either the right ramp or the vengeance. Whichever red insert is flashing quickly is the one to shoot for. It has a long timer so you don't have to rush the shot.

When holding the right flipper, you have to plunger hard to get the ball to come back around to the upper flipper. If not hard enough, the ball will just fall into the pop bumpers. I've played a ST that couldn't launch hard enough to go for this skill shot. On mine, sometimes the ball takes a weird bounce and doesn't make it out of the gate.

2 weeks later
#291 8 years ago

I am inconsistent at hitting the warp ramp. Some days I can easily get 5 or 6 in a row but other days I struggle to make just one. I've adjusted the warp ramp in the past but don't know if it makes much difference. You just have to get a feel for the shot like any other shot.

4 months later
#295 7 years ago

It may not be the best scoring strategy, but I always go for the warp super skill shot. Save left left flipper hold skill shot for later. Use when you need the ball quickly served to the flippers to make a critical shot.

1 week later
#318 7 years ago

I don't know why you would turn down flipper power. I turned my slings down a bit to make things a little easier. Just a preference. I had to turn down the left eject because the ball often hit the top of the sling and then sdtm. Hate when games drain the ball without being able to put a flipper on the ball. Hitting the warp ramp is not easy. That's what makes it fun to hit. Once you get a feel for it, it becomes a lot easier. One little thing I do is hold the flipper up after a shot at the warp ramp. If I miss, the ball often bounces straight back, bounces off the flipper up the right orbit, and makes for a nice controlled 2nd shot.

4 months later
#337 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Question for you all.
Is it possible to get 4x scoring?
I've been trying to get to warp 9.9 during the first 2x scoring at warp 9.
Has anyone done or tried this?

I think I might have done that once when I was dialed in on the warp shot. I had warp 2x going into k. Maru and then another in k. Maru. Hard to say because I think the doubler stops after medal count and I find most of the scoring a mystery anyway. I rarely make good use of 2x. I know you can get 4x on shots with the reward for finishing the 3 modes in a column and with a warp doubler.

#338 7 years ago

Also Can get 4x on vengeance mode shots with hitting the shot in a combo and with warp 2x.

2 weeks later
#342 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

gosh thats great. I need to get back into ST. I just got TWD and LOTR in the past 2 month so I've been playing this two and not any of my old pins.
I got STLE 3 years to the day this comping Friday. Doesn't seem like that long ago.

Lol. Me, too. I got TS and MET this last summer and can't stop playing them. Got my ST almost exactly 3 years ago, too. Day after new years if I remember right. I finally got around to doing maintenance and fixed issues on all my pins. ST has been down for a while with a bad vengeance opto. Thought it was going to be a chore to fix but turns out it was the easiest one to get to. I just had to take off a few plastics. Nice to have it fixed but still playing my newer pins. I need to get back into ST and try to get to Amok. Came close a few times but never made it. I cannot imagine ever getting to 5 yr mission even with easier settings. Nice job. It seems so easy to make shots on level 1 missions but tough on level 2 and 3. It also seems like there is a point in the game when both start mode shots get 10x harder. I still wish there would be a code update to make starting modes a little easier.

1 month later
#373 7 years ago

I have the setting to stop level1 modes once you get the gold medal. Sometimes I do wish I had set that to 'no' so I can blow up the score in certain modes. However, I really don't like how long some of the level1 modes drag on. With time stopping when the ball is in the pops and when you craddle, modes can last a really long time. Then if you accidentally hit black hole, it always adds even more time. Ugh. Shortening the time in the settings can affect timed level2 and level3 missions as well. If anything I would like to see a separate settings for getting through the level1 modes a lot faster. It would make it harder to get medals but that would be fine with me.

2 months later
#390 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Why can't Stern fix the bugs?

I know right? There are so many cool details with the code yet some really obvious bugs.

11 months later
#399 5 years ago

Don't forget warp ramp is lit for shots in some modes including pd2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-strategies-for-the-average-player?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.