20161203_195540 (resized).jpg
20161023_204455 (resized).jpg
20161018_182838 (resized).jpg
highscore.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
st_met_altart.jpg
image.jpg
There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 8 years ago

I was hoping to get a thread going that would describe some simple strategies for the average player.

Some players have very complex strategies that they can pull off, like finishing Nero1-3, DTD1-3, and then doing the other level one missions, finally hitting warp 9.1 before entering Kobayshi Maru. (Yes, I'm talking about you eskaybee and ectobar ). I'm not one of those players that has so much timing and control.

Other players may be content just trying to get to Kobayshi Maru. I've done that several times and want a bit more.

Lately, I have been trying to do three in a column, like Nero1-3 or KB1-3 and then get to Kobayshi Maru. Having at least one shot be double value I think can really enhance the points while finishing the rest of the level one missions.

Another strategy which I want to start testing out, is to lock two balls and then start Nero1. Hit a number of shots to increase the GAT shot value, lock a third ball, and then start GAT at the same time as Klingon MB. Having multiple balls bounce around and hit off of the red matter targets can be very lucrative. I've only done this once by accident, but would like to try to plan for it.

So, I'm really interested in hearing other people's intermediate level strategies. What have people tried or are thinking about trying?

#2 8 years ago

Don't flip both flippers at the same time.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Don't flip both flippers at the same time.

LoL

#4 8 years ago

Great idea for a thread Nokoro!

I look forward to hearing others' insights as I've had one high game of 258M, but don't remember much about getting there other than accomplishing Kobayashi Maru (which is rare for me) and then proceeding a bit into the second level modes. The rest of my "high scores" drop to the 120M - 100M range.

#5 8 years ago

COMBOS COMBOS COMBOS !!!!!!!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Great idea for a thread Nokoro!
I look forward to hearing others' insights as I've had one high game of 258K, but don't remember much about getting there other than accomplishing Kobayashi Maru (which is rare for me) and then proceeding a bit into the second level modes. The rest of my "high scores" drop to the 120K - 100K range.

I think you mean "M", not "K". At least, I hope so.

Yeah, my best game to date is around 350M on the new code. Most good scores are between 75-150M for me. But, when I get to those really high scores, I feel like it is more of an accident -- a bunch of good things randomly coming together -- rather than by planning. I would like to plan more, but need some simple strategies that match my skill level.

Quoted from NY2Colorado:

COMBOS COMBOS COMBOS !!!!!!!

Combos are great, but will only get you so far without some more advanced planning.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I think you mean "M", not "K". At least, I hope so.

Whoops - yeah, I'm used to thinking in terms of EM scores.

#8 8 years ago

My best scores are around 430m but anytime I get over 200m it is a good game. My strategy is just trying to max scoring in every mode. I try to coordinate double scoring with kobi m but that doesn't always happen. Gat is the key to scoring big on lv1 modes. Combos are extremely important because it doubles the score. Klingon multiball can be worth a ton of points when making shots back to back. Getting extra balls is also key. Getting EB from warp is tough but not too hard in vengeance battle.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, I'm really interested in hearing other people's intermediate level strategies. What have people tried or are thinking about trying?

Being humble is good, but your knowledge & skills of this game are already *way* beyond average/intermediate.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Having at least one shot be double value I think can really enhance the points while finishing the rest of the level one missions.

Can you explain this?

Quoted from Nokoro:

Hit a number of shots to increase the GAT shot value, lock a third ball, and then start GAT at the same time as Klingon MB.

What is GAT?

All I really know about this game is: shoot combos, finish modes (seems like doing the add-on sub-mode from the Away Team shot is lucrative), get three in a row, how black hole/add-a-ball works, and I try to avoid progressing much through Vengeance modes because the ones after multi-ball are just too dangerous.

#10 8 years ago

Some thoughts and basic strategies for you:

Can you hit the Alpha ramp from both flippers consistently?

Can you backhand the Alpha ramp? From a cradle you should be able to hit this shot consistently, on the move its a little more difficult.

Can you backhand the spinner?

Can you backhand the away team shot? This shot is tough for me, so I don't use it too often, but maybe you can.

Are you using dead flipper passes to slow down the game?

Are you spelling TREK and Beam Me Up? I do this like crazy, and by the end of my games my spinner is generally worth some real good points.

When the ball is in the pops, do you know which lane the ball generally goes to? On my pin the ball definitely goes through the Up lane the most, followed by Beam, Me is last. It's good to know so you can adjust ahead of time.

What is your shooting the Vengeance plan? I try and not ever shoot from the left flipper when the drop is up.

Some Multi Ball related things:

Are you making sure you start a mode before getting a mb?

Some modes I like for mb:

PD1. The way PD1 works is, every shot is lit. Once you hit them, the shot is not lit anymore until there are only 2 remaining shots left, at which point everything lights up again. This lends itself to mb very well, as you can generally just try and keep the balls alive and you'll more often than not have a lit mode shot to shoot for. Additionally, the galactic mode is great for mb. During it, Beam/Me/Up are lit as well as the spinner and the outlane. Get the balls into the pops is the name of the game.

KB1. If you can alternate hitting the ramps, you can do well in this mode in general, but it plays nice with mb as well.

DtD1. Spinner/Alpha Ramp/Left out hole shots are lit almost all of the time during this mode, concertrate your shots there and you'll do well. Also, same shots are lit during the Galactic mode, so it's a good idea to try and start it.

Nero1. The mode itself is fine for mb, but the Galactic mode is great for mb, which is shoot those Red Matter targets. If i start the Nero Galactic mode by accident without a mb, I generally won't even try and hit the Red Matter targets, and instead just get back to trying to hit the Warp Ramp, and pick up a few Red Matter hits along the way.

I generally avoid SJ1 for mb's. Reason being because of it's Galactic Mode. The Galactic mode is hit the ship once and it's done.

Some Black Hole things:

You usually get add time during level 1 modes.
You usually get either 200k or +X muliplier when a mode isn't running.
Your more likely to get 'Light EB' during a level 2/3 mode.
You always get add-a-ball first when your in a mb.

So, to better your stack of running a regular mode with a mb, it's smart to try and hit the Black Hole to get 'Add Time' before starting the mb.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

What is GAT?
All I really know about this game is: shoot combos, finish modes (seems like doing the add-on sub-mode from the Away Team shot is lucrative), get three in a row, how black hole/add-a-ball works, and I try to avoid progressing much through Vengeance modes because the ones after multi-ball are just too dangerous.

GAT - Galactic Away Team

I love playing vengeance modes. In vengeance scoring, you get an extra ball for finishing which is huge for me. Sudden death in vengeance battle is one of the coolest things in the game. I try to get it on a combo and that makes it pretty challenging. If you have a big score like over 200m the pay off with a combo is huge. The magnet does fling the ball pretty fast but I think that is a cool feature.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Can you hit the Alpha ramp from both flippers consistently?

Yes, fortunately.

Quoted from ectobar:

Can you backhand the Alpha ramp? From a cradle you should be able to hit this shot consistently, on the move its a little more difficult.
Can you backhand the spinner?
Can you backhand the away team shot? This shot is tough for me, so I don't use it too often, but maybe you can.

Yes, yes, and no (are you crazy -- actually, I sometimes do it by accident -- perhaps I should practice).

Quoted from ectobar:

Are you using dead flipper passes to slow down the game?

I do try to cradle the ball when I can and when I'm not going for an immediate combo.

Quoted from ectobar:

Are you spelling TREK and Beam Me Up? I do this like crazy, and by the end of my games my spinner is generally worth some real good points.

Yes, I am constantly switching lanes. In particular, the Beam Me Up lanes can lead to major bonuses. I just got an 18M bonus yesterday -- my highest yet.

Quoted from ectobar:

What is your shooting the Vengeance plan? I try and not ever shoot from the left flipper when the drop is up.

I haven't really thought about which flipper to shoot from. I generally get to Vengeance 1 naturally. I wait until I think I need an extra ball to try Vengeance 2 and use torpedoes to get there. I have only been to Vengeance 3 a couple of time, and both times, I did not complete sudden death.

Quoted from ectobar:

Are you making sure you start a mode before getting a mb?

So, to better your stack of running a regular mode with a mb, it's smart to try and hit the Black Hole to get 'Add Time' before starting the mb.

These are some great mb tips. I have been trying some strategies around planning Klingon MB to coincide with certain modes. So far, no luck.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Being humble is good, but your knowledge & skills of this game are already *way* beyond average/intermediate.

Thanks for the compliment. I suppose it is all relative. Reading some of ectobar and eskaybee's posts makes me feel average. I do own the machine and play a lot, so I have a decent understanding of the rules. I just haven't mastered lucrative, but simple strategies.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Can you explain this?

Yes, if you get three missions in a column completed -- like KB1-3 -- one of the enterprise inserts lights up solid on the playfield for the rest of the game. That shot is now worth double the amount of points you would normally get for that shot. And, if you combo that shot, it would be quadruple I believe.

jawjaw answers correctly. It is the add on mode you refer to from hitting Away Team.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks for the compliment. I suppose it is all relative. Reading some of ectobar and eskaybee's posts makes me feel average. I do own the machine and play a lot, so I have a decent understanding of the rules. I just haven't mastered lucrative, but simple strategies.

Sorry, I rant about this often...and probably fall victim to it myself. If you're creating a strategy thread on Pinside, you're better than 95% of players already. I've been playing on location a lot lately with regulars, people who are playing as often as several times a week, and most of them don't understand much beyond that there are modes, and to shoot the locks for multiball. Everyone looks average if your only basis for comparison is the top players in the world.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Yes, if you get three missions in a column completed -- like KB1-3 -- one of the enterprise inserts lights up solid on the playfield for the rest of the game. That shot is now worth double the amount of points you would normally get for that shot. And, if you combo that shot, it would be quadruple I believe.

Ah, thanks - I didn't realize that Super Ramps/Spinner/Pops was a doubler. I knew it did *something*. Is it the rest of the game? I thought it was just the current ball.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Yes, yes, and no (are you crazy -- actually, I sometimes do it by accident -- perhaps I should practice).

Backhanding the spinner is pretty easy, and much safer. You should try it. I've almost stopped shooting for it from the right because it's so dangerous when you miss.

Quoted from jawjaw:

In vengeance scoring, you get an extra ball for finishing which is huge for me.

I play in tournaments/leagues where you don't get extra balls...which changes the math dramatically.

#15 8 years ago

Aurich laid out the basic rules nicely on the custom cards he made. Worth a look if you haven't seen them, and they look fantastic in the game as well. The doublers and galactic modes are covered on the 2nd card.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-new-original-translite-decals#post-1888578

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Ah, thanks - I didn't realize that Super Ramps/Spinner/Pops was a doubler. I knew it did *something*. Is it the rest of the game? I thought it was just the current ball.

Sorry, not super ramps / spinner / pops. Those are three in a row, meaning three level 1 missions in a row. Three in a column, which gives you a shot doubler, like the left ramp for instance, requires doing KB1, KB2 and KB3 (for instance).

Quoted from ryanwanger:

Backhanding the spinner is pretty easy, and much safer. You should try it. I've almost stopped shooting for it from the right because it's so dangerous when you miss.

Yep, I can backhand the spinner pretty readily. Probably the easiest shot in the game. I meant that I couldn't backhand the away team shot. Now, that's crazy!

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've been playing on location a lot lately with regulars, people who are playing as often as several times a week, and most of them don't understand much beyond that there are modes, and to shoot the locks for multiball. . . . I play in tournaments/leagues where you don't get extra balls...which changes the math dramatically.

If you play in tournaments, you must be pretty decent. When I play a pin I don't own on location, I'm not very good. I only get some decent games on Star Trek because I own it, play it a lot and have learned the rules. Even then, most of my games are sub 50-75M.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

If you play in tournaments, you must be pretty decent. When I play a pin I don't own on location, I'm not very good. I only get some decent games on Star Trek because I own it, play it a lot and have learned the rules. Even then, most of my games are sub 50-75M.

Just looked back at the last 3 times my league (15 players) has played Star Trek over the last two seasons. 85m was the highest score. No one else broke 65m. Sure, the grand champ score is ~215m, but that's one game out of hundreds.

In another local league, high score was 78m out of 36 players. 5 people in the league are Top 200 ranked players, and roughly 5 others are in the Top 500.

TLDR; 50m-75m is a killer score in tournament/league play. Go out into the world and play some competitive pinball once in a while.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Just looked back at the last 3 times my league (15 players) has played Star Trek over the last two seasons. 85m was the highest score. No one else broke 65m. Sure, the grand champ score is ~215m, but that's one game out of hundreds.
In another local league, high score was 78m out of 36 players. 5 people in the league are Top 200 ranked players, and roughly 5 others are in the Top 500.
TLDR; 50m-75m is a killer score in tournament/league play. Go out into the world and play some competitive pinball once in a while.

Was that with the new code or the old code? The new code is much more lucrative in terms of points. Also, keep in mind that I play at home under my own rules: easy outlanes, automatic extra balls at Warp 4 and 30M, forgiving tilt, etc. If you guys play tournament rules on location, then that is way more difficult than the way I play.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Was that with the new code or the old code? The new code is much more lucrative in terms of points. Also, keep in mind that I play at home under my own rules: easy outlanes, automatic extra balls at Warp 4 and 30M, forgiving tilt, etc. If you guys play tournament rules on location, then that is way more difficult than the way I play.

New code. Forgiving tilt. Factory outlanes. No extra balls.

It feels like I'm going to have to start a "no seriously, you're actually pretty good at pinball" crusade just so everyone knows not to be afraid of tournaments and leagues.

#20 8 years ago

Wow,some of you players are far and away from my game,but,i can hit both alpha and delta ramps with both flippers,lock balls in either place,shoot the vengeance with both flippers without drain,but i can't consistantly hit warp ramp!And,thanks to you all,after owning this pin for 16 months,i didn't realize you could control the beam me up lanes,and i own a Diner where you do it all the time with the e a t feature,duhhhh.....

#21 8 years ago

UH thats Beta ramp hit the wrong key

#22 8 years ago

One thing I did in the past and what a lot of inexperienced players do is hit the punch button whenever lit or at the end of ball for whatever reason. If you save up all your shots for vengeance multiball, you can destroy the vengeance very quickly and start doing victory laps with ball save still on. I fire off a few shots to get close to activating the vengeance mode and don't hit it again until I am ready for the mode. Once a vengeance mode is available, you will not be able to automatically start a mode on a ball launch. I didn't understand that for quite a while.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I just tried this a few times right now. I did it once, but it was only after bricking the shot, having it bounce off of my right flipper and go back up to the away team. I'm going to keep practicing. It would be so cool if I could do this reliably. That said, it seems a bit dangerous as one time I missed and the ball went down the drain.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just tried this a few times right now. I did it once, but it was only after bricking the shot, having it bounce off of my right flipper and go back up to the away team. I'm going to keep practicing. It would be so cool if I could do this reliably. That said, it seems a bit dangerous as one time I missed and the ball went down the drain.

I've seen video of tourney players using that method successfully, but it's not a move I try to pull off all that often. I think if I were primarily playing a pro, I would make it more of a priority to figure out due to the inconsistent return from the Start Mission eject.

A scenario in which I do try it though, is during mb if I end up with 2 balls cradled on the right flipper. Instead of trying a cradle separation, I'll try to shoot the ball into the Away Team.

#25 8 years ago

In an effort to prove to ryanwanger that I really am just an "average" player , I got the idea from another thread to play ten games and record my scores. Keep in mind that these are with easy outlanes, low tilt sensitivity, an extra ball at 30M and an extra ball at Warp 4. Here are my scores:

None fell into the level that I consider to be really good games for me: 75-100M+ which makes me think I get those games far less often than I think I do. And, the stellar scores of 200M+ are probably quite rare for me. So, by "average", I mean that I know how to play and can have some great games from time to time. But, I am not consistent at all, and I can't implement complex strategies on purpose. My few games that were 300M+ were purely by accident when the stars aligned. One I ended up getting 2x scoring from Warp 9.1 right in the middle of Klingon MB. I wish I had planned to do that, but it just happened. When you own a game and put 2,000+ games on it, you are going to get some very good games from time to time. So, that is my definition of average, but as I have said, it is all relative and all subjective.

#26 8 years ago

Hawkmoon to JawJaw,thank you for your input,i'm just understanding that your idea is sound!If i don't use the auto launch, i have more time to set up for beam me up shots,but i didn't know you could save up vengeance shots! kool!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

In an effort to prove to ryanwanger that I really am just an "average" player , I got the idea from another thread to play ten games and record my scores. Keep in mind that these are with easy outlanes, low tilt sensitivity, an extra ball at 30M and an extra ball at Warp 4. Here are my scores:
None fell into the level that I consider to be really good games for me: 75-100M+ which makes me think I get those games far less often than I think I do. And, the stellar scores of 200M+ are probably quite rare for me. So, by "average", I mean that I know how to play and can have some great games from time to time. But, I am not consistent at all, and I can't implement complex strategies on purpose. My few games that were 300M+ were purely by accident when the stars aligned. One I ended up getting 2x scoring from Warp 9.1 right in the middle of Klingon MB. I wish I had planned to do that, but it just happened. When you own a game and put 2,000+ games on it, you are going to get some very good games from time to time. So, that is my definition of average, but as I have said, it is all relative and all subjective.

Fair enough...you're not as good as I thought.

But seriously, your average is 28m, which would win a tournament game more often that you might think. Well, except for those extra balls. It sounds like your knowledge of the rules and strategies is probably ahead of your playing skills. It would be pretty awesome to upload videos of ourselves playing and have other people give tips.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Thank you! Apparently I'm even worse than I thought as well. Now, let's stop this contest of who is a worse player and start discussions strategies.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I wouldn't recommend using a backhand of Away Team during single ball play. Once you've found the shot, using the left flipper is more reliable. Don't forget to "slam the door" using the upper flipper as soon as the ball gets within range of the Away Team -- this will increase your % of successful Away Team shots.

Depending on your pin's set up and flipper strength, you can often do a reliable backhand from a two-ball cradle on the right flipper.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I wouldn't recommend using a backhand of Away Team during single ball play. Once you've found the shot, using the left flipper is more reliable. Don't forget to "slam the door" using the upper flipper as soon as the ball gets within range of the Away Team -- this will increase your % of successful Away Team shots.
Depending on your pin's set up and flipper strength, you can often do a reliable backhand from a two-ball cradle on the right flipper.

I always "Slam the Door"

Guessing you are back in the country now Collin?
Hope your trip was nice.

#31 8 years ago

Here's a few fun 'Points' Strategies as well as some good 'stacking' strategies:

PD1 (Galactic Lanes): Good mode to build warps.

STE I > Galactic Warps + Double Scoring = awesome...if you're 'in the zone' and hitting the warps consistently.

Nero 3 + SJ 3 = Galactic Lanes (PD1). Tons of points.

Nero 3 + PD 3 = Galactic Spinner (DTD1) - tons of points. Don't forget to hit the vuk for the 'final shot' - big payout.

Nero 1 (Galactic Matter) = a good stack with any of the multiballs.

KB2 or DTD 3 or Galactic Matter (Nero1) - stack with Vengeance Scoring.

STE 3 + KB 3 = a good Super ramps stack.

DTD 3 + Galactic Warps (STE1) = a good points stack if you can hit warps.

DTD 3 + Nero 3 + Galactic Warps = even more points if youre in the zone on the warp ramp.

Other Strategies:
I don't typically always try to start every galactic mode all the time. Sometimes i'll just use a level 1 mission to work on building the warp ramp for a double scoring 'cash in' stack. But Galactic Lanes and Galactic Warps are good modes to 'build' those warp ramps.

I try to save the harder (or longer) missions for multiball; Nero 2, SJ2 or 3, STE 2 or 3, KB 3. DTD 3.

another strat: Fill the grid until you have one mission left to start Kobayashi - if you are on ball 1 or 2; go deeper and collect more medals and wait to start Kobayashi. If you're on ball 3, then just go for the last mission and start Kobayashi.

#32 8 years ago

Great tips eskaybee! What I like about these is that while most are challenging strategies, they are all still achievable at least some of the time for the "average" player. Some comments / questions:

Quoted from Eskaybee:

This would be a really cool thing to try. Might be a bit of a reach for me to go that deep on those two modes back to back, but it is the type of thing that would be fun to strive for and see if I get it every now and then.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nero 3 + PD 3 = Galactic Spinner (DTD1) - tons of points. Don't forget to hit the vuk for the 'final shot' - big payout.

Ditto.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

KB2 or DTD 3 or Galactic Matter (Nero1) - stack with Vengeance Scoring.

Please explain. Is the idea that these modes rely on the Vengeance shot a lot, and Nero 1 GAT is just a good mode to brick a lot of MB shots on?

Quoted from Eskaybee:

STE 3 + KB 3 = a good Super ramps stack.

I've tried this in the past and achieved once. Another fun one to strive for.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

another strat: Fill the grid until you have one mission left to start Kobayashi - if you are on ball 1 or 2; go deeper and collect more medals and wait to start Kobayashi. If you're on ball 3, then just go for the last mission and start Kobayashi.

I like this idea. I always too quickly go for Kobayashi if I get that far. Perhaps I need to slow it down and gather up more medals.

Another simple idea, which I think I mentioned before, is just achieving KB1-3 to light left ramp for 2x scoring and then get the rest of the level 1 missions for Kobayshi. If you combine that with a gold medal on KB1, I bet that left ramp scores a ton in Kobayshi. You can apply this same principle to some of the other modes/shots. Just thinking it might be easier for the "average" player to get one mode through level 3 before going to Kobayshi rather than 2 modes all the way through level 3.

#33 8 years ago

I'm so confused, but I did just score 100 million

#34 8 years ago

ugh I really don't like the new 'quote' post when using my iPad. Annoying. Anyway...

Yea the idea of KB2 or DTD3 is the vengeance is typically lit for shots towards the mode. And galactic matter is exactly for that reason, the ball can get wild during vengeance scoring so you can get some free points if you galactic matter active.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Great tips eskaybee! What I like about these is that while most are challenging strategies, they are all still achievable at least some of the time for the "average" player. Some comments / questions:

This would be a really cool thing to try. Might be a bit of a reach for me to go that deep on those two modes back to back, but it is the type of thing that would be fun to strive for and see if I get it every now and then.

Ditto.

Please explain. Is the idea that these modes rely on the Vengeance shot a lot, and Nero 1 GAT is just a good mode to brick a lot of MB shots on?

I've tried this in the past and achieved once. Another fun one to strive for.

I like this idea. I always too quickly go for Kobayashi if I get that far. Perhaps I need to slow it down and gather up more medals.
Another simple idea, which I think I mentioned before, is just achieving KB1-3 to light left ramp for 2x scoring and then get the rest of the level 1 missions for Kobayshi. If you combine that with a gold medal on KB1, I bet that left ramp scores a ton in Kobayshi. You can apply this same principle to some of the other modes/shots. Just thinking it might be easier for the "average" player to get one mode through level 3 before going to Kobayshi rather than 2 modes all the way through level 3.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

But seriously, your average is 28m, which would win a tournament game more often that you might think. Well, except for those extra balls. It sounds like your knowledge of the rules and strategies is probably ahead of your playing skills. It would be pretty awesome to upload videos of ourselves playing and have other people give tips.

I just checked my game audits to see my average score since installing 1.61. It is actually 47M so that makes me feel a little better. I must have had a below average set of games the other day.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just got SJ3 followed by Nero3. And, to top it off, I hit Warp 9.1 for 2x scoring. I was just about to start PD1 and try to get GAT quickly for some major points when . . . Draino. Ugh!!!!

Still, I got 172M which is a great score for me. More importantly, I had a blast trying to do it! Just wish I pulled off the end. Oh well . . . Next time.

#37 8 years ago

I think you guys are all bonkers. Nobody but the top 15 IFPA would even bother trying to get to the level 3's. You're going to bury 90% of players if you simply play the first level of modes, do half the GATs, and get to Kobiyashi. We have three guys showing up to league night that have been in the top 100 at one point (IFPA can't seem to decide if I belong there or not. I've been moved in and out of the top 100 at least four times since TPF...lmao..I really need a big tourney win to solidify my position for a few months... ) and it's pretty much a lock any time that one of the three of us gets to Kobi, it's going to be the highest scoring game of the night.

We play on a pro, and frankly, I find shooting the left hole far more safe than shooting under the flipper, but I own a Metallica.... I'm used to that far left side shot.

*Edit* Uh, this is in terms of trying to get a high score or tourney win only.

172 is awesome. That's a tourney winner right there.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I think you guys are all bonkers. Nobody but the top 15 IFPA would even bother trying to get to the level 3's. You're going to bury 90% of players if you simply play the first level of modes, do half the GATs, and get to Kobiyashi. We have three guys showing up to league night that have been in the top 100 at one point (IFPA can't seem to decide if I belong there or not. I've been moved in and out of the top 100 at least four times since TPF...lmao..I really need a big tourney win to solidify my position for a few months... ) and it's pretty much a lock any time that one of the three of us gets to Kobi, it's going to be the highest scoring game of the night.
We play on a pro, and frankly, I find shooting the left hole far more safe than shooting under the flipper, but I own a Metallica.... I'm used to that far left side shot.
*Edit* Uh, this is in terms of trying to get a high score or tourney win only.
172 is awesome. That's a tourney winner right there.

I think we need to draw a distinction between strategies for the home and strategies for tournaments. I haven't played in a tournament. I'm playing Star Trek solely at home (with easy settings and extra balls), so I have time to try different approaches and don't mind waiting 25 or so games to see if it pays off. People playing in tournaments definitely need to take safer approaches that will lead to more lucrative points quickly.

As for the left hole / mission start shot, I've been bricking that thing like crazy lately. I don't know what happened. I used to be able to hit it consistently, but lately it has become the most dangerous shot on the play field for me. I keep hitting the red matter target to the right of it and having the ball go straight to the drain.

#39 8 years ago

Yeah, I know the vast majority of people don't like shooting the left side hole to start modes....for whatever reason for me, it's what works. I can't shoot under the flipper to save my life for a mode start, but for GAT modes? NO PROBLEM....explain that one.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I've been trying this out with some success. I had a couple of good games in a row where I completed nearly all level 1 missions on the first ball. Before doing the final level 1 mission, I decided to go 3 deep on KB. That is a good one to do this with since you can get through KB2 fairly quickly by hitting the left ramp over and over. KB3 takes a bit longer but is still quite approachable. Once I completed KB3, I finished off the last mission to go into Kobayashi MB with extra medals and the left ramp at 2x scoring. I finished the game at 270+ million. I would have done better, but I did a fairly crappy job getting medals on the level 1 missions.

The second attempt, same thing, except right before finishing KB3, I triggered Vengeance 2. I mistakenly thought I was on ball 2, not 3, so I went for it. Needless to say, I drained and the game was over. Still did pretty good score wise. Thinking about it, I really like Vengeance 2. It is classic risk / reward. I drain more times than not because those center shots are so dangerous, especially with the ball flying back at you. Yet, if you complete it, you get an extra ball which is often well worth the risk.

#41 8 years ago

During Vengeance MB, just shoot spinner and warps. Not worth many points. Klingon multi ball can be huge points. Make sure to combo the super jackpot for 40M!

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

During Vengeance MB, just shoot spinner and warps. Not worth many points. Klingon multi ball can be huge points. Make sure to combo the super jackpot for 40M!

Agreed. You can get 10m for getting the last shot on a combo but you can more than that for playing any mode. I don't know why scoring is so low in that multiball but huge in Klingon multiball. Once I got over 40m just by getting a lot of shots on combos - no super jackpot or multipliers. It's very hard for me to get to the super jackpot. I think I only did it once.

#43 8 years ago

How do you combo the super jackpot for 40 mil?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Sgolembiewski:

You probably can't since you'd rather stay with old code.

Seriously though, it's just one shot chained into another in most cases. Like if the jackpot was at the vengeance, you'd shoot say left ramp then the VG. Or right ramp then the VG. If the jackpot is at the warp ramp, you'd shoot the left orbit then the warp ramp.

#45 8 years ago

Thanks for the response man!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Sgolembiewski:

Quoted from Frax:

it's just one shot chained into another in most cases. Like if the jackpot was at the vengeance, you'd shoot say left ramp then the VG. Or right ramp then the VG. If the jackpot is at the warp ramp, you'd shoot the left orbit then the warp ramp.

Are you talking about getting 40 million from the "DOUBLE SUPER KLINGON JACKPOT!"? If so, I only got that jackpot twice. If I remember, after you destroy all birds of prey, there is one strobing bird of prey that you have to hit. Once you get that, there is one more shot to make for the double super klingon jackpot. I thought it was the warp ramp -- which you almost have to combo -- but maybe it changes. Does it change?

#47 8 years ago

During Vengeance MB, just shoot spinner and warps. Not worth many points.

Why would you only hit the spinner and warps during Vengeance MB? I consistently finish the mode, comboing the last shot for 10 million + points. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but not something to squander either.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are you talking about getting 40 million from the "DOUBLE SUPER KLINGON JACKPOT!"?

Talking about the combo 2x in general. I don't know if that specific shot is roving or not, because frankly, I don't pay that much attention to it, even if I have gotten there. I take the points where I can get them, which is usually me doing two 3-in-a-rows at once, then going to Kobiyashi and Warp 9.9.

Once they nerfed the Prime Directive 3 exploit, combos became a lot less important to me.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Why would you only hit the spinner and warps during Vengeance MB? I consistently finish the mode, comboing the last shot for 10 million + points. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but not something to squander either.

I think there are more points to be had with warps and working way up to double scoring. Once near Warp 9.1 or 9.9, I usually wait until Klingon mb, new mode, or Kobiyashi Maru. With ball save on, I'll shoot Vengeance but its a pretty dangerous shot and tend to drain out fast from that multi ball. Like you said in the grand scheme of things, not worth a ton. However, double scoring stacked into something mentioned above is huge points. Just my thought.

#50 8 years ago

I think there are more points to be had with warps and working way up to double scoring. Once near Warp 9.1 or 9.9, I usually wait until Klingon mb, new mode, or Kobiyashi Maru. With ball save on, I'll shoot Vengeance but its a pretty dangerous shot and tend to drain out fast from that multi ball. Like you said in the grand scheme of things, not worth a ton. However, double scoring stacked into something mentioned above is huge points. Just my thought.

I guess I just figure if you are that good with the warp ramp, you could do that at any time. I'm not sure why you would do it on Vengeance MB. I would also think the warp shots would be more difficult to make with MB. Perhaps I'm missing something . . . .

One of the things I think that is keeping me an "average" player on this pin is my inability to hit the warp ramp consistently. My warp champion score is only 12 or 13. I have yet to get to 9.9. And, I can never time when 9.1 will hit, if at all (it is still a rarity that I get it at all). I've been practicing though and trying to think about how to time my shots. I noticed that to get the first warp in a string, it is usually better to hit the ball near the tip of the flipper. But, once I get one, as the ball whips back around, I find that if I try to hit the button when the ball is at about the mid point of the flipper, I can sometimes get 2 or 3 more in a row. I'm not sure if others have noticed the same. . . .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.95
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 402 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-strategies-for-the-average-player?hl=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.