By Nokoro

1 year ago

Stats

• Started 1 year ago
  • 391 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Nokoro

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

20161227_111803 (resized).jpg
20161203_195540 (resized).jpg
20161023_204455 (resized).jpg
20161018_182838 (resized).jpg
highscore.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
st_met_altart.jpg
image.jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

There are 391 posts in topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 3 months ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Why are you not in modes? Like, 95% of that game should be played in a mode. If you are not in a mode, you shoot the mode start or the GAT to start a mode. Or, if you arent in a mode you are probably in a wizard mode, cause you better be stacking your multiballs with a mode.
Nero stack then play destroy the drill, extend the mode, hit the GAT shot, then just crush left orbit all day. Then, play save the Enterprise, same thing, hit your black hole to extend mode, hit a shot and then GAT, then crush left orbit all day. You can forehand or backhand it and you get a safe return or hit some warps from the return.
Then you have super spinner and left orbit banging, and you end up with a ton of points.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be in a mode most of the time. I'm arguing that your not getting 2X, your just getting credit for a combo. Meaning that in your example above, after you complete the Nero stack and are playing DtD, when you hit the left orbit, regardless of if it's a combo or not, you only get 2X.

If you were really getting 2X for completing Nero, hitting the left orbit on a combo would yield 4X.

#352 3 months ago

Yeah, I am not 100% of the value but I've come out of level 1 missions with an insane amount of points after I nero stack. Some glass off testing seems to be in order.

I love the game because there are so many ways to play. I usually nero stack in competition, but I've cleared 400 mil before playing thru all the level 1's right away and just going to kobayashi maru with a 9.1 going then pick off some more modes as I went.

#353 3 months ago
Quoted from ectobar:

If you were really getting 2X for completing Nero, hitting the left orbit on a combo would yield 4X.

I don't own one, but have played enough on location and used this exact strategy enough times, that I'm confident to say this is EXACTLY what you get (4x: due to 2x from Nero 3-deep, and 2x from combo). But I believe it only applies to the MODE shot award from hitting the orbit switch and does NOT apply to the SPINNER points -- whether regular spinner or the DTD GAT spinner or the Super Spinner points.

#354 3 months ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I don't own one, but have played enough on location and used this exact strategy enough times, that I'm confident to say this is EXACTLY what you get (4x: due to 2x from Nero 3-deep, and 2x from combo). But I believe it only applies to the MODE shot award from hitting the orbit switch and does NOT apply to the SPINNER points -- whether regular spinner or the DTD GAT spinner or the Super Spinner points.

I would think the Nero 3-deep only doubles values of left orbit, not the spinner, as it is the left orbit switch that is doubled and not the spinner.

I've also thought that if the warp ramp is doubled it doesn't double warp shots, just mode shots.

Hopefully, @ectobar can confirm both of the above with glass off.

#355 3 months ago

Briefly considered investigating tonight, but quickly realized that's most likely a good way to get stabbed by my wife. Will look into it soon though.

However, I think my disconnect this whole time was thinking the spinner and orbit were the same thing.

#356 3 months ago
Quoted from deibert:

I've also thought that if the warp ramp is doubled it doesn't double warp shots, just mode shots.

I believe that's correct.
I don't know about any of the 3-deep shot doublers applying to multiball jackpots, or to Super Ramps. I don't think they do. I seem to recall a thread with @eskaybee a year or two ago where he confirmed the shot doublers didn't apply to super ramps.

1 week later
#357 3 months ago

Did some testing with the glass off.
Was using a combination of throwing the ball with my hand and just depressing switch with my hand.

Procedure was as follows:

Game 1
1. Complete all 3 levels of Space Jump. Utilized the Away team shot for SJ1.
2. Record score.
3. Start PD.
4. Shoot left ramp.
5. Let combo lights go out.
6. Shoot right orbit.
7. Record score.

In this scenario, I would expect to only be awarded 2X for the right orbit shot because I let the combo light go out.

Game 2
1. Complete all 3 levels of Space Jump. Utilized the Away team shot for SJ1.
2. Record score.
3. Start PD.
4. Shoot left ramp.
5. Shoot right orbit while combo light is lit
6. Record score.

In this scenario it has been argued that you should receive 4X for the right orbit. (2X from SJ, 2X from the combo)

Game 1
Score after completing SJ(1-3):
Final Score
Points from PD: 2,311,470 (no combo)

Game 2
Score after completing SJ(1-3):
Final Score
Points from PD: 2,472,150 (with combo)

-------------------------------------

The slight higher starting score in the 2nd game was partly because I hit 2 shots before hitting the away team for SJ1, and then maybe because I hit more combos while completing the remainder of the SJ's. I could have been a little more scientific about this.

In the first game, I saw the 2nd shot for PD display and I believe it said 1.4mil(ish)
In the 2nd game, I shot the 2 PD shots quickly after the mode started. Neither displayed a score.

However, point is it doesn't look like you ever get 4X for a combo'd shot(at least while Double scoring from the Warp isn't running). The difference between the PD scoring in both games was negligible.

#358 3 months ago

So, wait. I often do Nero1-3 to double the value of the left orbit and then do DTD. I start GAT so I can hit that orbit over and over. Are you telling me there is no difference between comboing it and hitting it without the combo once I light the left orbit for 2x scoring? If so, I won't be in such a rush to try to combo it. Still, that method yields substantial points. And, I had thought those points were from essentially getting 4x the value of the shot. . . . .

#359 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, wait. I often do Nero1-3 to double the value of the left orbit and then do DTD. I start GAT so I can hit that orbit over and over. Are you telling me there is no difference between comboing it and hitting it without the combo once I light the left orbit for 2x scoring? If so, I won't be in such a rush to try to combo it. Still, that method yields substantial points. And, I had thought those points were from essentially getting 4x the value of the shot. . . . .

You are correct, The multiplier is like having a perma combo shot. I was bummed when I first noticed this from doing galactic ramps, had one ramp with the multiplier and the other did not and both shots were scoring equal value. I asked Lonnie about it (before Dwight was brought in), and he said it was intentional from a scoring perspective. Still puts a sour taste in my mouth to this day as the risk to light that multiplier is not worth the reward. But it is fun to do and it is still beneficial as you can always count a multiplier shot without combo'ing it; works best for having the left VUK multiplier lit and hitting the final shot in galactic spinner.

But yea, would be interesting to see how scoring strategies played out if it was a true multiplier.

#360 3 months ago

Wow. That's kind of a bummer to realize that I've only been achieving half of what I thought I was getting. I wouldn't mind if they changed that in a code update. It would definitely make getting three in a column more interesting.

#361 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Wow. That's kind of a bummer to realize that I've only been achieving half of what I thought I was getting. I wouldn't mind if they changed that in a code update. It would definitely make getting three in a column more interesting.

Agreed.

I wish Stern would take a final run at this code.

#362 3 months ago
Quoted from ectobar:

However, point is it doesn't look like you ever get 4X for a combo'd shot

This makes me so sad. Thanks for doing this testing.
To me, what makes ST shine is the ability to "choose your own adventure" (I loved those books when I was a kid) in terms of what sequence to play the modes, and be able to set yourself up for perma-2x shots and then cash them in.

I'm so bummed to find this out. But I definitely will not be making it a priority to go 3-deep on Nero anymore for the L orbit doubler for DTD1 GAT, because most of the time, I can live catch the orbit return, and nail my next L orbit while the timed combo doubler is still flashing.

#363 3 months ago
Quoted from Snailman:

This makes me so sad. Thanks for doing this testing.
To me, what makes ST shine is the ability to "choose your own adventure" (I loved those books when I was a kid) in terms of what sequence to play the modes, and be able to set yourself up for perma-2x shots and then cash them in.
I'm so bummed to find this out. But I definitely will not be making it a priority to go 3-deep on Nero anymore for the L orbit doubler for DTD1 GAT, because most of the time, I can live catch the orbit return, and nail my next L orbit while the timed combo doubler is still flashing.

I agree. I'm a huge fan of ST. I still play it almost every day. However, my beef with it is there isn't really a way to blow up your score in any other way than by playing a long game. (uh oh, don't tell the ST is grindy camp I said that)

I think the real rub here is that going 3 deep kind of lets you defeat the spirit of the game. ST is supposed to be a combo/flow game. Once you go 3 deep, you can really just slow the game down and still get credit for your combos.

#364 3 months ago

How do you guys feel about GOT? When I spoke to Steve Ritchie years ago about ST rules, he implied frustration with the programmers not implementing these kinds of multipliers and rewards he wanted. With GOT, it's almost as if he designed the pin to force the programmers to implement it (that's just my thought).

But, I love both of these games dearly. The Themes, layout, and overall rule sets are a hit with me. and as snailman put it, the choose your own adventure aspect is so great with both pins which is why I'm curious what you guys thought of GOT and it's Ruleset and if you've spent much time on it.

#365 3 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

How do you guys feel about GOT? When I spoke to Steve Ritchie years ago about ST rules, he implied frustration with the programmers not implementing these kinds of multipliers and rewards he wanted. With GOT, it's almost as if he designed the pin to force the programmers to implement it (that's just my thought).
But, I love both of these games dearly. The Themes, layout, and overall rule sets are a hit with me. and as snailman put it, the choose your own adventure aspect is so great with both pins which is why I'm curious what you guys thought of GOT and it's Ruleset and if you've spent much time on it.

I'm a fan. I get to play both an LE and a Pro regularly. Light show on the LE is cool, but I much prefer the game play of the pro.

GoT does feel like ST 2.0 in a lot of ways.

I really like the option to choose your house. That alone makes it possible to mix up game play. However, does anyone really choose anything other and Tyrell, Martel, or Greyjoy? I usually pick Greyjoy and then go right after completing Tyrell and Martel.

Definitely a fun game. I can get to the Iron Throne somewhat regularly, and that doesn't stop me from going back for more. Not a lot of games like that for me.

#366 3 months ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I'm a fan. I get to play both an LE and a Pro regularly. Light show on the LE is cool, but I much prefer the game play of the pro.
I really like the option to choose your house. That alone makes it possible to mix up game play. However, does anyone really choose anything other and Tyrell, Martel, or Greyjoy? I usually pick Greyjoy and then go right after completing Tyrell and Martel.
Definitely a fun game. I can get to the Iron Throne somewhat regularly, and that doesn't stop me from going back for more. Not a lot of games like that for me.

Think you nailed it. Yea; GJ, tyrell, & martell seem to be the go to houses. I do like playing stark and Baratheon for the WHC + Wall mb stacks. Ironically, my GC is with Stark but that's only cause I blew up Iron Throne (9 bil), and not cause of its house bonuses. And Lannister is laughable.

I'm curious what Steve &a Dwight will do with Star Wars. It would be nice if Dwight could revisit both GOT & ST after (or during) Star Wars.

#367 3 months ago

I think GOT is a lot easier to throw up huge scores on than ST, and without as much time/grinding. You can stack 2 houses and play a blackwater mb on ball 1 and if you hit your multiplier decently you can come away with 800mil-1+ bil pretty consistently after you drain outta mb.

#368 3 months ago

It would be interesting to gather some data and plot score as a function of time (i.e., length of game) for different pins. For Star Trek, it definitely seems like it might be a slightly exponential curve as you complete missions, adding to bonus total, get shots to be doubled, etc. Scores later in the game are definitely higher than scores early on. For other pins, it might be a bit random, depending upon how you stack modes. Again, I think with a few tweaks to the Star Trek code, they could make it that much more fun by making your decisions as to what to do all the more meaningful.

#369 89 days ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Haven't played Got pro yet, wasn't a fan of the pre due to upper PF

I was thinking about got pro but picked up SM instead since it was perfect condition pin.

How do you guys think SM rules compare to Got or ST?

#370 89 days ago

SM is cool, shoots alot like ST, but I like how you can stack the mb's together. The mode structure of SM is way different from St and got imo.

#371 88 days ago

As a result of this recent discussion and looking through the read me file for the rule I noticed this line:

"7. Added - Adjustment: GOLD MEDAL ENDS LEVEL I MISSIONS. YES == Level 1 missions timers will move to 1 when the player achieves a gold medal."

Just checked and that does indeed default to YES.

That setting definitely neuters scoring.

I guess I just always assumed it was a bug. When you have a galatic mode going and there is plenty of time left and then suddenly it would drop to 1 second, the worst.

I just changed mine to NO.

I'm going to make an easy guess to say that my average scores are going to go up.

Haven't played any games yet, but my thought is this: If you struggle to get to KM regularly, leave the setting alone. Otherwise, I think changing this is going to allow for some better scores in the modes, and as a by product, better scoring from KM, EA, and 5Y.

Previously, a score of 10-20mil per mode(level 1's) was about the norm for me.
30mil+ and you're rocking it. With Double Scoring I've gotten modes past 60mil.

I'm going to get a couple games in. I'll report back.

#372 88 days ago

Lol. That was quick. 1 game down, and the fabled honey pot of points remains at large.

I like the setting changed though. With a little planning, you can definitely cash in.

#373 88 days ago

I have the setting to stop level1 modes once you get the gold medal. Sometimes I do wish I had set that to 'no' so I can blow up the score in certain modes. However, I really don't like how long some of the level1 modes drag on. With time stopping when the ball is in the pops and when you craddle, modes can last a really long time. Then if you accidentally hit black hole, it always adds even more time. Ugh. Shortening the time in the settings can affect timed level2 and level3 missions as well. If anything I would like to see a separate settings for getting through the level1 modes a lot faster. It would make it harder to get medals but that would be fine with me.

#374 87 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have the setting to stop level1 modes once you get the gold medal. Sometimes I do wish I had set that to 'no' so I can blow up the score in certain modes. However, I really don't like how long some of the level1 modes drag on. With time stopping when the ball is in the pops and when you craddle, modes can last a really long time. Then if you accidentally hit black hole, it always adds even more time. Ugh. Shortening the time in the settings can affect timed level2 and level3 missions as well. If anything I would like to see a separate settings for getting through the level1 modes a lot faster. It would make it harder to get medals but that would be fine with me.

When Dwight was hard at work on the code, I suggested to him to allow galactic mission timers to continue even after getting a gold medal to give the player a chance to blow up the score and give the game that extra risk/reward feeling. He understood the argument and nearly added that into the code, but in the end I believe he was on the side of shortening the length of modes which really is what the game needed from the early code.

Looking back now, it's too bad it wasn't programmed so that once you got a gold medal, the timer would continue, but mission start and away team start lit so you have the option to continue playing out a mode or switch missions.

#375 87 days ago

I've always assumed that the one second they give you between getting gold on a level 1 mission and lighting the shots for the last shot was so that you could try to combo the last multi-colored shot for added points. However, I've never been able to do that.

3 weeks later
#376 61 days ago

Does anyone know how GAT mission values are determined/increased?

How do shots build the GAT shot values?

Finally, what are some of the highest mode values you've had? I had a 42M Prime Directive today. The highest I've ever seen.

#377 61 days ago
Quoted from deibert:

Does anyone know how GAT mission values are determined/increased?
How do shots build the GAT shot values?
Finally, what are some of the highest mode values you've had? I had a 42M Prime Directive today. The highest I've ever seen.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc?tu=rai#op

Good thread here just never completed.

I took glass off and did the GAT scoring you can see my posts about GAT number 14-17 of second link above.

Too bad the rule sheet was never finished.

#378 61 days ago
Quoted from rai:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-interest-in-a-stern-star-trek-rulesinfo-doc?tu=rai#op
I took glass off and did the GAT scoring you can see my posts about GAT number 14-17 of second link above.

Thanks for this. Looks like it had asked the same question a year ago on one of those threads.

#379 60 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I would love it if that rules sheet got finished.

#380 60 days ago
Quoted from Bruce:

I would love it if that rules sheet got finished.

Wish I owned the game. I'd be glass off and figuring out the scoring potential

1 month later
#381 4 days ago

For the longest time. I noticed that space jump 1 had a delay in lighting up the next shots after making a shot. It dawned on my tonight while playing. Maybe because of how without the "display it's mathmetically impossible to calculate blah blah blah"

So I paid attention to the mode and sure enough before the Spock says that phrase. The shots are lit quickly after a made shot just like all other missions. But after the phrase. There is a slight delay in lighting up the next lit shots

I just think it's kinda cool to have that type of attention to detail

#382 4 days ago

"Space Jump" is a throwaway mission for me. I will either stack it with the second vengeance battle so it times out when I go for the 5 vengeance shots for the extra ball, or I hit 1 shot then GAT and hit the vengeance to end it right away. This gets you a bronze and helps you get to Kobayashi Maru faster.

I nero 3 stack first. Try and play 1 multiball with Nero 2 as that mode doesnt time out and all the shots are also going to be jackpots on Klingon Multiball, but if I have vengeance mb ready I'll stack it with nero 2 as well. Nero 3 just double light left ramp and back hand it til its finished. Then play the other MB with destroy the drill or save the enterprise. Hit 1 shot then GAT, this will make your left orbit lit for the entire mode and adds time. You doubled up your left orbit with the nero stack so you get huge mode points from rippin that orbit. If you have black hole award lit before you start your MB, you can hit it as well to add more time so you can keep crushin the left orbit.

If extra balls are turned on I never use the missiles in vengeance mb until I have over 5 stacked. That way when I get out of the MB I can open up the vengeance right away and get a shot at an extra ball. This is where I throw away Space Jump. I really only open up Vengeance 3 if I have another Klingon MB ready and then Ill start V3, then lock 3rd ball for KMB, then I can beat V3 pretty easily to get around to another Vengeance MB.

After you capitalize on all those big points from left orbit on DTD and STE, its just a race to kobayashi maru. I work on getting my warps up to 9 while playing the other modes, hit the left orbit when its light for a mode shot and then warp ramp when it comes around. I tend to get my Nero stack, then DTD, then throw away space jump, beat Prime Directive, then have another MB ready for STE and when it ends you get super spinner and super ramps that you can bring into kobayashi maru once you finish off Klingon battle.

If you can stack your 9.1 into your kobayashi maru medal count up you are crushing

Yesterday on my lunch break I went home and played a game, set it all up, had 270 mil, started 9.1 with kobayashi maru lit and I drained ball 3 like a chump Have to get over 350 to get on the board these days ha.

#383 4 days ago

"Space Jump" is a throwaway mission for me. I will either stack it with the second vengeance battle so it times out when I go for the 5 vengeance shots for the extra ball, or I hit 1 shot then GAT and hit the vengeance to end it right away. This gets you a bronze and helps you get to Kobayashi Maru faster.
I nero 3 stack first. Try and play 1 multiball with Nero 2 as that mode doesnt time out and all the shots are also going to be jackpots on Klingon Multiball, but if I have vengeance mb ready I'll stack it with nero 2 as well. Nero 3 just double light left ramp and back hand it til its finished. Then play the other MB with destroy the drill or save the enterprise. Hit 1 shot then GAT, this will make your left orbit lit for the entire mode and adds time. You doubled up your left orbit with the nero stack so you get huge mode points from rippin that orbit. If you have black hole award lit before you start your MB, you can hit it as well to add more time so you can keep crushin the left orbit.
If extra balls are turned on I never use the missiles in vengeance mb until I have over 5 stacked. That way when I get out of the MB I can open up the vengeance right away and get a shot at an extra ball. This is where I throw away Space Jump. I really only open up Vengeance 3 if I have another Klingon MB ready and then Ill start V3, then lock 3rd ball for KMB, then I can beat V3 pretty easily to get around to another Vengeance MB.
After you capitalize on all those big points from left orbit on DTD and STE, its just a race to kobayashi maru. I work on getting my warps up to 9 while playing the other modes, hit the left orbit when its light for a mode shot and then warp ramp when it comes around. I tend to get my Nero stack, then DTD, then throw away space jump, beat Prime Directive, then have another MB ready for STE and when it ends you get super spinner and super ramps that you can bring into kobayashi maru once you finish off Klingon battle.
If you can stack your 9.1 into your kobayashi maru medal count up you are crushing
Yesterday on my lunch break I went home and played a game, set it all up, had 270 mil, started 9.1 with kobayashi maru lit and I drained ball 3 like a chump Have to get over 350 to get on the board these days ha.

I use to play with heavy stacks but since 2x I finished the matrix and couldn't start 5 year mission. I said screw it. I now just play all the tier 1s get KM. Get all tier 2 and so on so

#384 4 days ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I use to play with heavy stacks but since 2x I finished the matrix and couldn't start 5 year mission. I said screw it. I now just play all the tier 1s get KM. Get all tier 2 and so on so

Yeah, playing for 5 year mission for level 1's I will make a shot, trap and let time run down, then when its not ticking down ill hit another shot, etc. Then stack my MB's with level 2 missions.

#385 4 days ago

Yeah, playing for 5 year mission for level 1's I will make a shot, trap and let time run down, then when its not ticking down ill hit another shot, etc. Then stack my MB's with level 2 missions.

Huh?.......man, I'm not smart enough for the new games.

#386 4 days ago

This is the strategy post that I can't wrap my feeble brain around!

#387 4 days ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

For the longest time. I noticed that space jump 1 had a delay in lighting up the next shots after making a shot. It dawned on my tonight while playing. Maybe because of how without the "display it's mathmetically impossible to calculate blah blah blah"
So I paid attention to the mode and sure enough before the Spock says that phrase. The shots are lit quickly after a made shot just like all other missions. But after the phrase. There is a slight delay in lighting up the next lit shots
I just think it's kinda cool to have that type of attention to detail

This is a cool observation. I never noticed that.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you keep making shots, you avoid the space debris on the DMD. Once too much time passes, space debris starts hitting you and your visor becomes cracked. I've never made it all the way through without having something hit me, but I assume it is possible. I wonder if your observation about how quickly the shots are lit has something to do with how much debris has hit you, interfering with your systems.

#388 4 days ago

Why can't Stern fix the bugs?

#389 3 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This is a cool observation. I never noticed that.
I'm pretty sure that as long as you keep making shots, you avoid the space debris on the DMD. Once too much time passes, space debris starts hitting you and your visor becomes cracked. I've never made it all the way through without having something hit me, but I assume it is possible. I wonder if your observation about how quickly the shots are lit has something to do with how much debris has hit you, interfering with your systems.

The other night I played a game and I was making shot after shot because how quickly the next shots lit up. I got the gold medal without Spock giving the "without your display compass blah blah blah" speech

In the past I always noticed a delay.

Just think it's cool that they thought that deep.

#390 3 days ago
Quoted from rai:

Why can't Stern fix the bugs?

I know right? There are so many cool details with the code yet some really obvious bugs.

#391 3 days ago

Not sure about my SJ1 theory. Just played a game, and the cracks didn't cause a slow down in shots being lit. I didn't hear that Spock call out though, so that may be the trigger. Will have to play more ....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 60.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 18.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 391 posts in topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.