57%

(123 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7E19E29F-D20B-400F-B9D0-64AE4371D302 (resized).jpeg
2019-12 Star Trek The Next Generation Upgrade Inspiration (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Poll included - let's do this!

For me - Stern ST on this one but STTNG is pretty good and for the price it goes for - it's a tough one. One of the best values in old school pins right now.

#2 5 years ago

Same here i personally like the stern star trek more.

#3 5 years ago

Next Gen all day. Stern Trek is an awesome game tho.

#4 5 years ago

I have wondered this question too - I own a home use only STTNG and I was toying with the idea of trading it for a Stern Star Trek. I think my machine is worth more though - with Pinstadium lights, color DMD, and being home use only.

I htink a Next Gen is worth more than a regular Stern Star Trek

#5 5 years ago

I can't vote...I really like both! Would even love to own both. Ugh, Sorry I'm no help on this one but I like sttng show better.
-Mike

#6 5 years ago

Stern is more fun to play. Sttng is better in theme integration.

#7 5 years ago

Tng all the fkin way. I like both though stern is a bootleg afm with spiderman ramps. Many people dont like tng because its a sheer monster to fix if goes haywire.

#8 5 years ago

I've owned both, ST:TNG for nine years and ST for two. I sold ST:TNG two years ago and haven't missed it. I sold my first ST (a prem) after a year, kicked myself repeatedly, and bought another (pro). It will be a long term keeper. I find ST to be better in nearly every way. I also think it is the most geometrically perfect game ever designed. ST:TNG is very good, but I burned out on it and now really do not have much urge to play it. ST is a game I play often and still crave more.

#9 5 years ago

Owned both, both great pins. Traded sttng and wish I had it back. Still own Stern Star Trek- I’d give that one the slight edge

#10 5 years ago

I think this is a difficult comparison for people that have been in the hobby for a long time and have owned STTNG for 8+ years like I have. It makes it hard to give an objective opinion. I still have fun playing STTNG and still play it weekly, but if I dropped a brand new ST in my gameroom, I'll bet it would get a ton more play and the shiny new-er would overtake my judgement. You really need someone who has never owned either to pickup a restored STTNG and new ST and ask them after a few months. The fact that a 25 year old STTNG is neck and neck with ST in the poll really speaks volumes to its greatness.

#11 5 years ago

Stern Star Trek.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think this is a difficult comparison for people that have been in the hobby for a long time and have owned STTNG for 8+ years like I have. It makes it hard to give an objective opinion. I still have fun laying STTNG and still play it weekly, but if I dropped a brand new ST in my gameroom, I'll bet it would get a ton more play and the shiny new-er would overtake my judgement. You really need someone who has never owned either to pickup a restored STTNG and new ST and ask them after a few months. The fact that a 25 year old STTNG is neck and neck with ST in the poll really speaks volumes to its greatness.

I actually had the opposite thought - the fact that stern (who gets __ on all the time) has a game that is neck to neck with a proven classic made by a company that gets treated in the opposite way of Stern (Bally/Williams) - I would say that's a huge win for stern

I'm also someone rather new to the pinball industry and never really played STTNG when it was first released and recently owned the stern - I like the stern b/c I'm not a huge ST guy and the stern one is not so in your face where NG is 24/7 star trek. Hard to explain but Stern version plays better to the less hardcore ST crowd.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think this is a difficult comparison for people that have been in the hobby for a long time and have owned STTNG for 8+ years like I have. It makes it hard to give an objective opinion. I still have fun laying STTNG and still play it weekly, but if I dropped a brand new ST in my gameroom, I'll bet it would get a ton more play and the shiny new-er would overtake my judgement. You really need someone who has never owned either to pickup a restored STTNG and new ST and ask them after a few months. The fact that a 25 year old STTNG is neck and neck with ST in the poll really speaks volumes to its greatness.

This is a really good point. If I had a Stern Star Trek I would play it more than my STTNG just because it hasn’t been in my game room for years. But there is no way SST could overtake STTNG as far as greatness.

#14 5 years ago

I prefer Stern ST for flow and fast gameplay if all things equal. It's a lot of fun hitting those ramps and getting combo warp ramps. That said, STTNG is a really good game for the money if you can find one cheap like under $4000. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan so theme integration really doesn't make much difference to me. The tight theme integration of STTNG actually turns me off a bit since I am not really a fan of the show. Stern's ST is a bit more generic sci-fi which works for me. Sounds backwards but that's how it is for me.

#15 5 years ago

Have only played Stern ST, so I can't judge. I do know this though, I "was" in the market for a ST but after Pintastic felt it was little bit of a let down. Of course, I only played one game, couldn't hear a damned thing, and had no idea what I was doing, so my initial reaction is nearly pointless. I'll have to go back and try one in a quiet room with instruction - let's say, a distributor showcase

That being said, I am a pretty avid Star Trek fan, and was contemplating this exact decision (TNG vs ST), and decided that no matter how good TNG may be, with a price point at the same or more than a "new" machine just didn't make sense. That, and as mentioned, I hear how fixing a STTNG can be a journey into your non-happy place.

Maybe when TNG starts to drop (if it starts to drop) I may pick one up in the future.

#16 5 years ago

STTNG....if you played both, there is no doubt. I have owned STTNG for the past 4 years. I played with the idea of adding the Stern but after playing it alot, I decided not too. The only thing about the STTNG that everyone who has ever owned one will tell you, the game needs a lot of "attention" to keep it going. Otherwise its a great game.

#17 5 years ago

i never found pleasure playing STTNG
i did with the STERN version
let's admit i do not like widebody pins...

#18 5 years ago

Tough call. I had a STTNG years ago loved it sold it got something else I can't remember what, which has since left. Found a deal on another STTNG a while back. I also got a Stern Star Trek LE ( one of the few I actually went LE). I am not a big wide body fan but I really loved how STTNG played and the theme was so well integrated. Stern's offering kind of reminds me of it but plays way quicker, a narrow body version if you will different enough but still has "that" fell if you know what I mean, again theme very well integrated. Both are solid choices that you cant go wrong with. I did finally sell STTNG again mainly because as some one mentioned earlier it takes a lot of TLC to keep it going and I finally just had enough of that.

#19 5 years ago

I don't own either currently but i did own both in the past. I sold my STTNG to buy the new stern ST. I instantly regreted it. STTNG is a much better game with all the modes feeling drastically different and the two cannons kick butt! Stern ST still feels like chopping wood to me still, although it is much faster playing then STTNG. i have to vote STTNG by a mile on this one. I am a STTNG fanboy though.

#20 5 years ago

Stern Star Trek all the way! STTNG is a poorly designed game that people like because of the theme and name of the designer.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I think this is a difficult comparison for people that have been in the hobby for a long time and have owned STTNG for 8+ years like I have. It makes it hard to give an objective opinion. I still have fun playing STTNG and still play it weekly, but if I dropped a brand new ST in my gameroom, I'll bet it would get a ton more play and the shiny new-er would overtake my judgement. You really need someone who has never owned either to pickup a restored STTNG and new ST and ask them after a few months. The fact that a 25 year old STTNG is neck and neck with ST in the poll really speaks volumes to its greatness.

I owned each the same length of time, about 8 months. I've regretted selling ST Pro but not Sttng. ST Pro is more fun to shoot, it's an adrenaline rush.

#22 5 years ago

It’s a tie.

1 year later
#23 4 years ago

Although I prefer STTNG in almost every way, the sleek modern appearance of STLE is undeniably awesome. So I did the only logical thing... I STLE'd the look of my STTNG!

2019-12 Star Trek The Next Generation Upgrade Inspiration (resized).jpg2019-12 Star Trek The Next Generation Upgrade Inspiration (resized).jpg
#24 4 years ago

I like both games! I ended up getting a STLE a few months ago. But, if I came across a really nice STTNG I'd probably get that too.

#25 4 years ago

Both are great and different gameplay

7E19E29F-D20B-400F-B9D0-64AE4371D302 (resized).jpeg7E19E29F-D20B-400F-B9D0-64AE4371D302 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-stern-vs-williams-sttng-july-4th-showdown?hl=maur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.