Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by luckymoey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm on the fence for a Star Trek Premium. I've played the Pro and LE some but really haven't gone gone far in terms of reaching any wizard modes.

I've been watching the below guy fooling around with the glass off and in I can't see there's any depth to anything. I mean, what is that warp ramp for anyway? And there's not even a bonus after breaking 9X multiplier, it just repeats 9X. I'm not sure this machine runs the latest code etc but could someone elaborate where points are on this machine? I mean 200K mode shots all day long won't do it for me.

I'm comparing mostly against Tron which has extremely rewarding game play and distinguished modes IMHO.

#2 6 years ago

Nothing to see until code drops...

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Nothing to see until code drops...

Is that the consensus in the community? This is half-baked? Is the next update the one with Carl Urban custom speech announced almost a year ago?

#4 6 years ago

There are a lot of people who feel the code is lacking and a lot of people who love the game anyway but would like to see more complete code. You can find many threads on the topic. The code update seems to be right around the corner, so if you are on the fence, just wait a few weeks and see what happens.

For what its worth, I love the game with the current code but am also looking forward to seeing what the new code brings.

#5 6 years ago

don't get me wrong...I enjoy playing mine, but there is no depth to it...all that will change with update, and yes, it is the one with the speech pack that has eagerly anticipated.

Quoted from dri:Is that the consensus in the community? This is half-baked? Is the next update the one with Carl Urban custom speech announced almost a year ago?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I'm on the fence for a Star Trek Premium. I've played the Pro and LE some but really haven't gone gone far in terms of reaching any wizard modes.
I've been watching the below guy fooling around with the glass off and in I can't see there's any depth to anything. I mean, what is that warp ramp for anyway? And there's not even a bonus after breaking 9X multiplier, it just repeats 9X. I'm not sure this machine runs the latest code etc but could someone elaborate where points are on this machine? I mean 200K mode shots all day long won't do it for me.
I'm comparing mostly against Tron which has extremely rewarding game play and distinguished modes IMHO.
» YouTube video

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Watch the PAPA tutorial

#7 6 years ago

ST is all about combos. Practically any shot is doubled if hit as a combo. Also, the points you get from a mission can vary wildly. Obviously on lv 1 missions which are timed, you can just hit more shots in that time and hit more of them as combos (with increasing score for each shot hit, too). But take Prime Directive II as an example. You could just hit all 7 shots on their own and complete it. Or you could go for the special two-color blinking shot for 2x points (or combo to them for 4x). In theory I think you could basically do a whole playfield 7-shot combo for massive points.

You can combo the final shot to destroy the Vengeance for 10 M instead of 5 M. Combo jackpots in multiball are 2x. You can combo shots in Kobayashi Maru Multiball to get 2x the entire score you earned in one of your previously completed missions.

Warp ramp can get you an extra ball and it's also worth good points. If you have Super Ramps active, the value is double on the Warp ramp. So if your Super Ramps are worth, say, 1 M, a left orbit to Warp ramp combo shot will be 4 M.

Yes, the lv 1 missions aren't the best and the lv 2 and 3 are much more varied and fun. I hope they do something to make going 3 missions deep more rewarding so I don't just find myself playing lv missions the vast majority of the time. But have still been having a lot of fun with it so far.

You can't stack everything, but you can have a mission active along with a multiball, or something like Vengeance Scoring active in multiball.

#8 6 years ago

+1 to what Roo said.

Also, there's a LOT of depth regarding how to optimize scoring. Combos, mission order, multiballs, etc. Great game that people rag on because Stern has been slow. I think it's a great game that will only get greater once the code drops. Besides, I don't think many folks have ever legitimately seen the 3rd wizard mode (as in not taking off the glass and playing with factory settings).

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......
Watch the PAPA tutorial

Thanks! Watched the whole thing. It's much more appealing now when some things got revealed previously unknown to me. Still, he hit the jackpot of criticism when he talks about the modes not being as distinctive as in STTNG. Modes do seem more interesting in level II and III.

Stern does a great job in false advertising having the old left VUK on the promo images on the website for the premium/LE.

2 months later
#10 6 years ago

I just picked up a Star Trek Pro last week and I am trying to learn the rules.
Watched the PAPA tutorial and have some questions.
> How do you complete the "Add a ball" in multi-ball modes?
> What causes the "Captains Chair" to blink and what does that mean?
> What is the "Black Hole" award? Mystery?
> What does completing the spelling of T-R-E-K do?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

I just picked up a Star Trek Pro last week and I am trying to learn the rules.
Watched the PAPA tutorial and have some questions.
> How do you complete the "Add a ball" in multi-ball modes?
> What causes the "Captains Chair" to blink and what does that mean?
> What is the "Black Hole" award? Mystery?
> What does completing the spelling of T-R-E-K do?

Add a ball is achieved by lighting black hole and then getting black hole in multiball mode.

Black hole award is a mystery award. For level one missions, it adds time. For others, anything from ponts to lights extra ball.

Spelling TREK increases spinner value.

I never noticed that captains chair blinks. Usually, if it is on, it means you have completed three missions in a row and unlocked super spinner, super pops, or super ramps.

#12 6 years ago

What is Black Hole award adding time to?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

What is Black Hole award adding time to?

Extends the current mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside