(Topic ID: 41638)

STAR TREK 5:17:13 -->> Will it surpass the success of STTNG?

By Beez

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 175 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Av8
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg
20110923_183108.jpg
star-trek-into-darkness.jpg
STID.jpg
Motivational_Poster-App.jpg
There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 10 years ago

Obviously in that pic, everything is enhanced/altered. Yep, everything.

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Well for one thing. The new Stern version will be much more reliable.
Williams STNG is the most bitched about pin in pinballdom. A rats nest to work on. A major pain to keep working right.
LTG : )

A lot of that is just that stupid data line extension to the 8 port auxiliary board. Even cleaned up, with new trifuricon connectors that thing still gives me fits.

#153 10 years ago

She seriously looks like she is going to need help getting out of that costume!

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Looks like they are using this poster art for the backglass.

... OR ... is that an LCD screen with an image from poster?

It does seem odd to me that the title of the pin is only across the top of the "translite"

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Oh hey, look at that!
There IS a pin in that photo!!!

I will admit to having to read a few posts before I noticed the pin.

What makes me suspicious about the pic is that Gary is actually looking at the guy taking a picture with the other camera.

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Not possible. (a) Williams vs Stern; (b) A large canon of STTNG material, meanwhile the current Star Trek reboot movies seem to rarely leave our solar system; (c) Alien adversaries thus far include Romulans from the future and possibly a brief encounter with Klingons in the new movie; (d) STTNG exceeds any Stern ever produced to date. Etc.

There was even an article on Yahoo this morning discussing how studio exec's (and even Abrams) have sought out ways to make the film appeal to an international audience:

"I guess less Trekkie, more action might be the short story," Paramount's head of international distribution Anthony Marcoly told TheWrap Tuesday.

You can read the article here:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-trek-darkness-heading-where-none-gone-foreign-124423696.html

To me, it's making the reboot more generic action movie (Die Hard on the Enterprise) and less Star Trek, which I think is a shame.

That being said, I think there is a good chance the pin still ends up being a blast to play.

#157 10 years ago

This could have been really cool, unfortunately it might as well be Hunger Games.

The new Star Trek "reboot" made me want to hang myself when I left the theater.

I'm not one of those guys that gets all dressed up and shit, but I love Star Trek.

Whatever that thing was that came out in 2009 was not Star Trek.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Looks like they are using this poster art for the backglass.

Hope that's not the backglass. I still want to see who tries for and gets the Star Wars license from Disney in a couple of years. I'd like to see a modern pin based on the original trilogy too, but I'm sure Disney will just want to move forward.

#159 10 years ago

It will be like IJ4 to WMS IJ... The only thing that could make it closer is an LCD but that aint happening...

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

This could have been really cool, unfortunately it might as well be Hunger Games.
The new Star Trek "reboot" made me want to hang myself when I left the theater.
I'm not one of those guys that gets all dressed up and shit, but I love Star Trek.
Whatever that thing was that came out in 2009 was not Star Trek.

Different Strokes.

I remember watching the original series as a kid. I also really enjoyed ST:TNG. Not so much the other series though.

I though the new movie was pretty entertaining and that they did a wonderful job picking actors to play younger versions of the original crew. Not saying it was great.....but it wasn't horrible either.

#161 10 years ago

I too have my doubts about JJ Abrams version of ST. Not impressed at ALL with the plot, so far. Very GENERIC and off course from the original Gene Roddenbery vision. Plus they are making this pin on a single movie? Red ALERT!

My guess.....NO way this will top the original Williams Superpin STTNG. Unless Stern breaks out some NEW tech like Wifi or LCD below the playfield.

The only thing going for it for me is Steve Ritchies design talent and assertiveness. Will I but in for an LE based just on that? Not yet.

20110923_183108.jpg20110923_183108.jpg 2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg2011-09-27_11.07.54.jpg

#162 10 years ago

Love that pic! Chick, Pin, it's ALL good by me !

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I too have my doubts about JJ Abrams version of ST. Not impressed at ALL with the plot, so far. Very GENERIC and off course from the original Gene Roddenbery vision. Plus they are making this pin on a single movie? Red ALERT!
My guess.....NO way this will top the original Williams Superpin STTNG. Unless Stern breaks out some NEW tech like Wifi or LCD below the playfield.
The only thing going for it for me is Steve Ritchies design talent and assertiveness. Will I but in for an LE based just on that? Not yet.

I CALLED IT. 2 out of 5 Stars. JJ Abrams mucked it up. Lame plot.

There is not enough here to make a top 10 pin. I predict MET to be the best pin of the year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/film-review-star-trek-into-darkness-12a-8609987.html

#164 10 years ago

mmmmm nice sttng, av8! i agree on both points: STTNG is a highpoint of the pinball genre, and that what made star trek a memorable and remarkable genre was its commitment to ideals. EVERY and i mean EVERY future/sci-fi undertaking starts with the premise of a dystopian future. star trek was the lone example, and now mr. abrams is abandoning that in favor of explosions. sigh.

#165 10 years ago

Can't wait for the announcement !!

#166 10 years ago

What announcement? Apparently JJ is making the sequel too.

The only thing going for this pin is Steve R. I'm not sure Lyman is on code. If not its doomed.

#167 10 years ago

The only thing going for this pin is Steve R. I'm not sure Lyman is on code. If not its doomed.

#168 10 years ago

Good movie, never been into any of the earlier trekkie stuff but I have really enjoyed both of these new films.

I will make my own mind up when the pin is released and given time to be updated, work bugs out etc. Until then the question of which game is better is utterly pointless.

#169 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Dude, lighten up. Why all the hate for a game that has not even been announced?

#170 10 years ago

MOVIE RELEASES THIS WEEK !!!!

#171 10 years ago

Lets sit down with Riker!

#172 10 years ago

OPENING NIGHT HAS ARRIVED !!!

#173 10 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Obviously in that pic, everything is enhanced/altered. Yep, everything.

Yup.

Her boobs are equal-to or better than HEP-restored.

Yup. I said it. Bring it.

3 months later
#174 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Ok I was wrong about the movie. It was better then I thought but rode the coat tails of earlier Kahn masterpiece. 3 D was good.

But I was right about the pin. No way its better then the Williams Super pin I had. I called it! That said I may get a Pro because Im a SR fan.

MetLe best pin of the year.

#175 10 years ago

Why did I sell this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 175 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-stardate-51713-will-it-surpass-the-success-of-sttng/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.