You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161230_170602 (resized).jpg
20161230_170248 (resized).jpg
20161230_170725 (resized).jpg
shooter_lane_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bruce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have been trying to adjust my warp ramp on my Stern Star Trek Pro for a little while, by adjusting the screw at the exit of the warp ramp I seemed to get it right for a while (the ball fed back to the top right flipper consistently) but recently it has started to hit near the top of the plunger lane when at full speed, effectively stopping it in its tracks. (See attached image - from what I can tell it hits near the small triangle plastic on the left of the plunger lane exit).

My first question is has it also taken you many many attempts to adjust the warp ramp so that it feeds back to the flipper consistently and allows for the flow of the warp, warp, warp shots? I'm beginning to wonder if its actually possible to get this flow consistent on ALL machines, or if its an ongoing thing to keep tweaking.

Also, I have seen a vid on youtube where a guy put some velcro on the warp ramp (the bit that goes behind the back of the cabinet) to slow the ball down which seemed to help consistency... anyone else tried this?

It could be due to me recently cleaning and waxing the playfield and ramps - come to think of it, this could have coincided with when the warp ramp shot stopped being consistent... I could have answered my own question here. The speed of the ball would have increased.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the above, I've got to say I'm a bit reluctant to add something to the ramp to slow it down, perhaps I should keep adjusting the ramp til I get it right.

shooter_lane_(resized).jpgshooter_lane_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I bought the same thing from Ven. I went from having uniformly inconsistent flow to getting good flow 80% of the time. It seems you either have a machine that allows you to dial this in easily or you don't. If moving the ramp left and right by the traditional method doesn't work, this mod which allows you to move it up and down might. It is a pain to get in but worth it. Of course, after installing, I then waxed my playfield, and that decreased the reliability again. I think that if the ball comes out of the exit super fast, it is just a matter of physics. Will it drop fast enough to hit the playfield before hitting the shooter lane? Decreasing the vertical distance helps but only so much. I need my machine to slow down again to see how it behaves. The best flow I got around the warp ramp was when my playfield hadn't been cleaned for quite some time and was a bit slow.

Can you post a link to this? I was thinking about doing something similar but not sure how it would affect other things.

This is the youtube video where the guy uses velcro in the warp ramp

are you thinking of doing it? I've been tempted but it could get messy if I wanted to remove it in the future. Let me know what you think

3 weeks later
#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I bought the same thing from Ven. I went from having uniformly inconsistent flow to getting good flow 80% of the time. It seems you either have a machine that allows you to dial this in easily or you don't. If moving the ramp left and right by the traditional method doesn't work, this mod which allows you to move it up and down might. It is a pain to get in but worth it. Of course, after installing, I then waxed my playfield, and that decreased the reliability again. I think that if the ball comes out of the exit super fast, it is just a matter of physics. Will it drop fast enough to hit the playfield before hitting the shooter lane? Decreasing the vertical distance helps but only so much. I need my machine to slow down again to see how it behaves. The best flow I got around the warp ramp was when my playfield hadn't been cleaned for quite some time and was a bit slow.

Can you post a link to this? I was thinking about doing something similar but not sure how it would affect other things.

Could reducing the flipper power help with this? Does anyone reduce flipper power as a part of the course from factory anyway? I've reduced slingshots, and left eject a little which has improved play.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I think this is right. Even with Ven's mod, after I waxed, the ball came out too fast for the laws of physics to be able to pull it down to the playfield before hitting the side. Now that things have slowed down a bit, it seems to be more consistent. Try upping the playfield pitch a little and see if that helps.

Ah yes, wax.... i just cleaned and waxed the playfield last weekend, now the playfield is SO fast, i even shoot for the left eject and it bounces back out as (i think) the ball is now moving faster, ie. it doesn't lock in the eject, it just bounces back. Anyone else experienced this? It happens quite a lot of the time, sure it will stop after i've worn the wax in a bit.

1 month later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. Do you know at what minute marker he talks about it?

minute marker is 9:10 sorry for the super late reply. Have you tried this with the velcro?

I now have my velcro and am tempted to give it a go! The ball is still flying out of the warp ramp exit uncontrollably and bounces around the top of the plunge lane i'd say 50% of the time (if its a direct shot on the warp). If there is a good chance that this velcro strip could slow the ball down 'just enough' to return it to the top right flipper consistently, enabling loop after loop - I have got to try it!

Worst case i'm sure it'll be easy enough to remove with goo gone or similar.

Thoughts anyone?

*I have adjusted the warp exit with that little screw so many times but can't get it right. It slightly improves, but never anywhere near consistent.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I never tried the felt tape, but my game has slowed down a bit now that it has gone through several plays since waxing. With Ven's mod and the slightly less crazy ball speeds, my warp loops have been fairly consistent. When I wax and get frustrated again, I may look for other solutions. I'm a bit worried that the felt might deflect the ball too much and not just slow it down.

I might try the loop (soft) part of the velcro this weekend, it seems to work for the guy in the video and sure i've heard of someone else trying it. I'll let you know how I get on (if I get the courage to do it!)

Some people may object to 'altering' the gameplay, but I don't believe that applies in this case as the warp loop shot is intended to return to the top flipper over and over again, and if it isn't working as it should - any adjustment is simply fixing it..... (yes I am trying to justify it!)

3 months later
#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I agree. You aren't altering the game play. You are simply dialing the pin in which lots of people do. Let us know how it goes.

Nokoro So I've done it! And would highly recommend it. Ball is now consistent coming out of the warp ramp, still nice and fast it just doesn't ever go squirly when it comes out the exit. Ahere is an image of where I put the soft loop velcro

20161230_170725 (resized).jpg20161230_170725 (resized).jpg

20161230_170248 (resized).jpg20161230_170248 (resized).jpg

20161230_170602 (resized).jpg20161230_170602 (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Nice. I may try that. How long ago did you do that? Does it hold up over time?

I did it a few weeks ago and it's holding up fine. I'll report back long term but I see it holding up just fine over time, if anything it may get a bit faster as the velcro gets flattened with a ball trail. Be good to hear how it goes for you

1 month later
#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

bruce I finally bit the bullet and added the felt strips. I've only played a couple of games, but so far, I've been surprised at how consistent the ramp is. That said, I have yet to build up a number of consecutive loops in a row, so we'll see. Is it still holding up for you? The real test will be when I apply some fresh wax and really speed things up!

Hi Nokoro that's great to hear! Yes it's holding up absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever and I don't foresee any.

My loops are consistent and I am now able to get consecutive loops in a row - I think my best is 6 in a row. I'm so glad I did this mod as the warp ramp loops are one of the best features of the game.

I freshly waxed and it was still fine, so go for it!

2 months later
#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

I put a playfield protector on my le, and I am now having this issue. I am not sure if I need to adjust the ramp near the exit point or the issue is a result of increased acceleration. Its really bugging me. I am interested in trying the velcro solution. The wild balls out the exit tend to really kill some of the flow of the game.

It's the speed of the ball flying out. I'd highly recommend velcro. I did it months ago and it's perfect every time. SO glad I did it. Any questions let me know

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bruce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-warp-ramp-adjusting-fail?tu=bruce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.