Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Pro-topper.jpg
life-sized-mr-spock.JPG
st-power-inserts-prem-vs-pro.jpg
ST-rollovers-prem-vs.jpg
left-outlane-prem-vs-pro.jpg

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I'm curious. What Stern games do you have sitting next to WOZ? A newer one like AC/DC or something older like High Roller?

He gets in most of the new sterns...acdc prem, Metallica, xmen, tron, avengers (pros) were all there last time I went, along with POTC and several older pins like Super Mario, junkyard, nba fastbreak, etc.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Keep blowing that horn - maybe somebody will listen.

I'm not sure what his motivation to lie or exaggerate would be...he sells (and routes in his own arcade) both JJP and Stern stuff.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I haven't talked myself out of Premium just yet....just musing on other cool ways to spend the $$.

It's going to be months before you can pick up a Premium, so you have plenty of time... Pros on the line first, then 799 LE's, then Premium... Gameplay and code will be well known by then.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

... Gameplay and code will be well known by then.

What world do you live in? Are others welcome?

#54 10 years ago

Is there any more info on the laser starfield thing? pictures or where/what?

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is there any more info on the laser starfield thing? pictures or where/what?

No; and IM pretty sure it's going to he pretty disappointing. Look at met; everyone was like met pro is awesome...then the LE owners were like 'ya, just wait til you see this hammer'. Then it was like...where's the hammer pics? Hammer gameplay? It was weeks after release til we saw it and look at it now....anti climatic and buggy. Stern not showing pics of the starfield projection has me thinking its in the same boat as the MET hammer.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Stern not showing pics of the starfield projection has me thinking its in the same boat as the MET hammer.

I suspect it will be more underwhelming than broken. It won't be some sort of laser "show", just dots.

#57 10 years ago

I think that the pro will be a great game
it will have some color changing leds end that ship will move (shake) like AFM...
the red trim on the premium is ugly and the LE is to expensive

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I suspect it will be more underwhelming than broken. It won't be some sort of laser "show", just dots.

Agreed. My point is when you sell a product, you show it's bread and butter - you don't hide it. Stern not showing this starfield projector should be a red flag warning to buyers that are on the fence if this one feature.

#59 10 years ago

I've always just considered the Pro models as operator-friendly versions. Sure some collectors will buy them due to money issues or theme interests, but the Premiums and LEs are more directed to collectors and locations with better maintenance/supervision available. Personally, as a collector, I'm just too obsessive/compulsive to get a water-downed model. If these LEs had come out 5 years sooner I'd probably be buying buying buying. I have other business and family obligations now though so I have to pick and choose and wait until later. Of the games that have been released (or soon to be) during that time, the only Sterns that I might seek out would be the STLE (I just can't stand the red on the premium), AC/DC Premium (or LE if right deal comes along), TRON LE (no pro here because I don't want standup targets when I know there are drops on other games), and perhaps MET Premium (if the rules shape up). I have WOZ, but will skip TH, and I'll take a good look at games from the smaller companies like Ben and Spooky when my kids get out of college or I start trading. To get back on topic, the ST pro is way too watered down, but the Premium looks bad with red trim. I could only see putting the LE in my collection. There will be 799, so they will be there when I want one down the road. I have zero doubt. Luckily for us collectors, there are now more options. More options bring more games than just the old B/W/DE/Gb classics. Some will hold value, some won't.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Metalpin:

.... the ST pro is way too watered down, but the Premium looks bad with red trim. I could only see putting the LE in my collection. .....

The Premium red trim continues to grow on me. I think it indicates "red alert" and goes fine with the fight scence shown on the side art. Admittedly, the red didn't seem like a Star Trek 'ish color at first, but I guess I've convinced myself otherwise. I was originally thinking we'd see something more similar to the new movies which tended to be more "Apple" computer looking.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No; and IM pretty sure it's going to he pretty disappointing. Look at met; everyone was like met pro is awesome...then the LE owners were like 'ya, just wait til you see this hammer'. Then it was like...where's the hammer pics? Hammer gameplay? It was weeks after release til we saw it and look at it now....anti climatic and buggy. Stern not showing pics of the starfield projection has me thinking its in the same boat as the MET hammer.

My hammer works fine with the new board and update,not he best toy but I like it

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Guessing you mean Premium and not Pro.
And you're lucky the difference is $1500. Up here it's closer to half that.

You quoted my error before I saw and fixed it 15 seconds later!

By "lucky" do you mean that the Pro is $750 more where you are? I'm assuming it's not that the Premium is cheaper!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I'm curious. What Stern games do you have sitting next to WOZ? A newer one like AC/DC or something older like High Roller?

I was there last week; this is what I remember:

Johnny Mnemonic, Tron Pro, AC/DC LE, WOZ, Metallica Pro, (something I can't remember, used to be a Pirates), SW Ep. 1, Mario Bros., and an NBA

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

You quoted my error before I saw and fixed it 15 seconds later!
By "lucky" do you mean that the Pro is $750 more where you are? I'm assuming it's not that the Premium is cheaper!

No, I mean that the Pro and LE are approximately the same as the USA (but add taxes), but the Premium is only $750 cheaper than the LE.
Doesn't give us too much to choose from in my opinion.
Oh well; it's a great problem to have. Easy decision to buy the LE.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

So far JJP Woz has outearned every Stern easily.. Mostly because of the Display. It brings em in.

Just once can't we have a discussion about a Stern without JJP being brought up and visa versa?

Please lets not get into a flame war in this thread. The thread is regarding Stern's ST models lets keep it that way. IMO the Premiums lock upkick to the Warp ramp loop to upper flipper, the numerous color changing bulbs, kickback save, possibly cool laser effects, crashing ship, lit Enterprise ship, metal habit trails give it major upgrades visually and in gamplay over the Pro. I tend to give the Pro models more slack then many and even prefer them to Premium/LE in some cases but here I think I may have to pony up and go Premium. I seem to much prefer most of SR Premium/LE models over the Pro but with Borg I like the Pros just as much if not more than the Premium/LE. Its cool that their different styles mix it up a bit for me at least.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The only extra stuff on the LE (over the Premium) seems to be a shaker (about $150), different colored trim and translite, a non-fugly speaker panel, cut/illuminated side rails, and a numbered plaque. If that's worth an extra $1.5k to you, go for the LE. If not, then Premium.

If I lived in the States I would get a premium for sure, no question it is the best value there. However up here the price difference between the LE and premium is $800 or less so for $800, yes the LE is worth it to me.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I seem to much prefer most of SR Premium/LE models over the Pro but with Borg I like the Pros just as much if not more than the Premium/LE. Its cool that their different styles mix it up a bit for me at least.

I think its a designer issue. Borg add to his design and therefore its stuff shoved in and the pro rocks. Ritchie goes the other way and strips stuff from his game so the Pro is less than intended.

Just sold my AFM so I have funds ready. Just torn between being pissed at Stern and needing to see some more information to choose Pro or premium.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Metalpin:

To get back on topic, the ST pro is way too watered down.

Compared to Metallica, I agree that there are more changes in the Pro that affect gameplay. I think Stern realized that it didn't create enough differentiation with MET Prem/LE, and the hammer issues didn't help. With ST, I think all 3 tiers of buyers will be happy.

As a longtime Pro buyer, I don't feel that ST Pro is crippled at all. But I can understand why people with deeper pin-buying pockets (or people who are big Star Trek fans) would want to go for the "better" game rather than the "good" one.

#69 10 years ago

Does anybody know if this game will be using actual movie clips/real actor voiceovers/music? Remember we all assumed that Avengers would do that. What we got was cartoon actors--didn't see that coming!

Wonder if there is such thing as a cheap 'B-movie' way to outsource some Star Trek actors/music and do cartoon clips instead. I'd be pissed though.

#70 10 years ago

For these new price points I demand a hot chick translite!

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from pinaddict0315:

think it's very stupid when stern started making pros , premiums, and le. Why don't they just make a standard and there . For example there is alot of pinballs that stern didnt make premiums or limited edition like the potc is a great pinball and didnt make any other models

Actually, I wish they made the Premium edition POTC. I am not sure if you know the whole story, but POTC was originally designed to have inline drop targets that you knock down to enter the chest. Also, the pop bumper ball save ala WOZ, was originally designed for POTC. That was the Parlay ball save feature. I have a picture of the playfield lying around in my files somewhere. These were cut out for cost saving measures by STERN. That was supposed to be the rational behind Premium editions or "the way they were supposed to be designed editions".

POTC is a great game, but damn I would of paid extra for those features. I love inline drop targets.

Scott
Detroit Pinbll

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

Actually, I wish they made the Premium edition POTC. I am not sure if you know the whole story, but POTC was originally designed to have inline drop targets that you knock down to enter the chest. Also, the pop bumper ball save ala WOZ, was originally designed for POTC. That was the Parlay ball save feature. I have a picture of the playfield lying around in my files somewhere. These were cut out for cost saving measures by STERN. That was supposed to be the rational behind Premium editions or "the way they were supposed to be designed editions".
POTC is a great game, but damn I would of paid extra for those features. I love inline drop targets.
Scott
Detroit Pinbll

There's a lot of unintended irony to your post, Detroit Pinball. I see POTC as one of the last full-featured pinballs with a "pro" price. POTC is full of awesome toys and things to do. I wish that Stern would cut out stuff from today's pros in the same way that they "cut them out" of POTC. You know what I mean?

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Compared to Metallica, I agree that there are more changes in the Pro that affect gameplay. I think Stern realized that it didn't create enough differentiation with MET Prem/LE, and the hammer issues didn't help. With ST, I think all 3 tiers of buyers will be happy.
As a longtime Pro buyer, I don't feel that ST Pro is crippled at all. But I can understand why people with deeper pin-buying pockets (or people who are big Star Trek fans) would want to go for the "better" game rather than the "good" one.

I was under the impression that the only difference between the LEs and Premiums were supposed to be cosmetic. Has Stern changed that policy here? It's clear that the Pro is a "cut-back" or "crippled" version. (Yes, when some rules and interactive features are cut out, that's how I see it. OK, I grew up for decades where the only differences in versions of a particular pinball design were the title, number of players, or add-a-ball vs. replay.) Given that the current Premiums/LEs have about as many (or fewer) mechs and interactive toys as earlier pins (Stern, B/W, DE, etc.), it is clear that the Pros have stuff taken away, rather than there being "added" features in the Premiums/LEs.

"Longtime Pro buyer"? Pros haven't been around for a long time!

#74 10 years ago

SR takes out while Borg adds. You can really tell in each ones games. Regardless I have decided I am only buying Pros from now on.

#75 10 years ago

can't wait for monday to see what stern's video will look like, it better be impressive, right now i'm not.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

can't wait for monday to see what stern's video will look like, it better be impressive, right now i'm not.

Sterns video? What are you talking about?

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Sterns video? What are you talking about?

someone here on pinside said stern will make a video (or maybe a big announcement) for monday, i remember reading that.
man, i could be wrong.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

SR takes out while Borg adds. You can really tell in each ones games. Regardless I have decided I am only buying Pros from now on.

Not sure about that, but I do agree, at least with Stern's recent Pro v Prem/LE [insert derogatory noun here], Borg's Pro designs seem to hold up better gameplay-wise as compared with the pricier "full" versions.

#79 10 years ago

Steve wouldn't "cripple" the one version of his pin that will show up in public the most (Pro). So far we don't know about any rules differences between the Pro and Premium, and there aren't any in Metallica that I'm aware of. I'm still on the fence, but I think it all comes down to what goes on UNDER the Vengeance. If they play the same and the only difference is crashing ship eye-candy, I'll go Pro.

#80 10 years ago

Has Metallica been fully programmed yet?

#81 10 years ago

Sterns marketing decision to make distinctions between all 3 models makes since . There should have been more of these previously. 3 models , 3 pricing levels, 3 sets of options. Buy the one that
makes since. I prefer the LE .

#82 10 years ago

I'm in for a pro. Looking forward to it.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Sterns marketing decision to make distinctions between all 3 models makes since . There should have been more of these previously. 3 models , 3 pricing levels, 3 sets of options. Buy the one that
makes since. I prefer the LE .

I prefer the Premium. Because pinball is for playing.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I prefer the Premium. Because pinball is for playing.

Cool, same reason I prefer the Pro.

#85 10 years ago

I'm getting the LE (I just like to look at my pins - nobody plays them)

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Xmen pro is awesome!
Not sure how ST pro will hold up to the other pros; but at least it has a spinner.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not sure how ST pro will hold up to the other pros; but at least it has a spinner.

After pouring through the list I am happy it has the spinner and the SM mod returning the ball to the shooter lane. I can live without wireforms, I think the plastic ramps with LEDs and mirror blades are cool. No VUK no big deal and I bet I will prefer the smaller outlane and no kickback.

Mirror blades and that cool new topper will make the Pro an awesome choice. For me its time to vote with my wallet. No way I can support a 4500 Pro to a 7500 LE. Crap, that's almost a second game or a new suit ; ) http://store.zegna.com/us/ermenegildo-zegna/men/suit_cod49133260xp.html

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No way I can support a 4500 Pro to a 7500 LE

Well, to be fair, you're skipping the Premium price point.

Everyone is so fixated on the LE, but it could be erased from existing, and we all get the same game on the premium for $1400 less.

I do think the Pro looks like a good value though. And Stern is the only game in town attempting the $5k mark. And now with LEDs (no need to pay for upgrade), with color changers even.

#89 10 years ago

The only reason I would pay two grand more for the premium is to get a "premium lock down bar" and metal (instead of plastic) apron

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

After pouring through the list I am happy it has the spinner and the SM mod returning the ball to the shooter lane. I can live without wireforms, I think the plastic ramps with LEDs and mirror blades are cool. No VUK no big deal and I bet I will prefer the smaller outlane and no kickback.
Mirror blades and that cool new topper will make the Pro an awesome choice. For me its time to vote with my wallet. No way I can support a 4500 Pro to a 7500 LE. Crap, that's almost a second game or a new suit ; ) http://store.zegna.com/us/ermenegildo-zegna/men/suit_cod49133260xp.html

i'd probably go for the pro too for the same reasons.

smaller outlane will be more rewarding.
ship will move differently but how different really. (right now it looks like a bubble head on a spring)
i think the balls return on the plastic ramps will be a lot faster.
the missing enterprise will probably be easy to find (like the train in ac/dc) and mods will be outhere.
i don't see the VUK as a big thing, just shoot the warp ramps from the upper flipper, makes it a harder game.
no laser pointer on the pro, i doubt it will be that impressive anyway.
speaker panel can be mod.

the pro for me is the best solution, i like to mods my games and it could be as great as the premium when done nicely.

the big thing for me will be the code, as of right now, it's missing a lot (from the videos we saw).

i don't know what they are waiting for (the big announcement) it better be amazing!

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, to be fair, you're skipping the Premium price point.
Everyone is so fixated on the LE, but it could be erased from existing, and we all get the same game on the premium for $1400 less.
I do think the Pro looks like a good value though. And Stern is the only game in town attempting the $5k mark. And now with LEDs (no need to pay for upgrade), with color changers even.

I think a lot of people are looking past the premium cause it looks like ass...too harsh?

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I think a lot of people are looking past the premium cause it looks like ass...too harsh?

In Canada we are looking past it because there is only a $750 price difference between the premium and LE. So are only choices are really Pro or LE. If it was a $1,500 difference like down there I would get a premium.

#93 10 years ago

Premium cabinet looks much better than Pro, but I like the Pro translite and armor better. Premium with dark blue armor and the Pro translite would be interesting to me.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

In Canada we are looking past it because there is only a $750 price difference between the premium and LE. So are only choices are really Pro or LE. If it was a $1,500 difference like down there I would get a premium.

Well, option C would be to have a US seller send you a Premium to a Buffalo, NY depot. $6500 shipped.

You still pay HST at the border, but you are paying it on a smaller amount (6500).

Total difference including taxes is then $1600, and an afternoon of effort to drive and pick it up.

The monopoly in Canada means they are screwing people on raised premium pricing.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, option C would be to have a US seller send you a Premium to a Buffalo, NY depot. $6500 shipped.
You still pay HST at the border, but you are paying it on a smaller amount (6500).
Total difference including taxes is then $1600, and an afternoon of effort to drive and pick it up.
The Monopoly in Canada means they are screwing people on raised premium pricing.

With gas and more than half a day it would be a $1000 difference. It is a really good idea though, but it is too late now, I'm in for an LE

#96 10 years ago

ah, didn't see you were in Ottawa, a little further run for you. Toronto people could do it though for not much effort.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

With gas and more than half a day it would be a $1000 difference. It is a really good idea though, but it is too late now, I'm in for an LE

Grats! I have a feeling this one is gonna be better than xmen and TRON - xmen being my current favorite in my lineup

#98 10 years ago

Premium would look good with this as the translite

image.jpgimage.jpg

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Grats! I have a feeling this one is gonna be better than xmen and TRON - xmen being my current favorite in my lineup

Ditto. I LOVE my Xmen Pro!

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Spot on my friend!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-premium/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.