“If you had to buy one of these games NIB, which would it be?”

• Star Trek Pro 101 votes
    42%
  • Metallica Pro 102 votes
    43%
  • Buy them both you cheap bastard! 35 votes
    15%

(238 votes)

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Each to their own as usual but I've also owned both and Met is a flashing light fest as well if not more. Metallica was first to go. Long tedious ball times became an issue, and just the music for the sake of the music. Even with the 2 new tracks it was a struggle to start to listen to all those songs. That said met is also one of the best pro versions out there and beats most pins for bang for buck.

Id say one more update for St and it will clearly take over. Met is done and dusted as far as code.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Each to their own as usual but I've also owned both and Met is a flashing light fest as well if not more. Metallica was first to go. Long tedious ball times became an issue, and just the music for the sake of the music. Even with the 2 new tracks it was a struggle to start to listen to all those songs. That said met is also one of the best pro versions out there and beats most pins for bang for buck.
Id say one more update for St and it will clearly take over. Met is done and dusted as far as code.

Long tedious ball times on a Metallica? Did you have rubber bands on the drains or something?

If anything, ST would play 2x to 3x longer game times than a correctly set up Metallica.

We had a MetLE near a STLE at the NZ champs the other day, 4 players almost finished a whole game of MetLE before one round of players had their first ball on STLE.

rd.

#53 9 years ago

I was having this battle myself and chose Met. No regrets but I may also get a Trek at some point but am concerned I own two Ritchie games now and really need to add Tron

#54 9 years ago

I am enjoying the question for the poll…. if you"HAD" to buy one of these games NIB… Love It!!! HaHA!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Could any of the above posts explain why you think it is a superior game? Besides code, MET has better flow, deeper rules, better ramps, etc? Thanks!

Star Trek doesn't have a whole lot going on. It's a mode based game. You start a mode, hit the flashing ramps/shots until the 30 second timer runs out....then you move to the next mode. You can also attack the ship and start a mutiball. Another thing to do is to lock the balls to start Klingon multiball. That's really all there is to the game. Not a whole lot of strategy. You can just shut your brain off and hit flashing shots. It gets boring very quickly.

Metallica on the other hand has a ton of things going on all at once and a lot of strategy is involved. It's not as much of a mode game although it does have "modes" (crank it up). There are 4 different multiballs to work towards. You can work at hitting the picks to get to blackened. You can shoot all the shots and light the inserts, then lock in the shot, to work towards seek and destroy and Crank it up/end of the line.

I won't go into depth about everything in this game, but here's a cool thing: Whenever you start any multiball, you can hit the flashing "pick" targets to lock them all in. Then once all are locked in, you can hit the snake to add-a-ball and start double scoring for 20 seconds. It's things like this in Metallica that make it such a great game. A lot of thought went into the code on this game and it really shows. When I explained the rules of Star Trek to my wife, it took about 60 seconds. When I explained the rules of Metallica to her....I think it took around 8-10 minutes to go over everything.

Star Trek is very linear, while Metallica is not. Star Trek feels likes playing the original super Mario brothers video game. You start at level 1-1 and once you finish that, you go to level 1-2 and so on. Metallica feels like playing a current generation open world game like Grand Theft Auto. You aren't confined to any "level". You can go where you want and do want you want at any given time.

Based on what I've owned/played, if I could only have 2 pinball machines and couldn't sell or trade them, I'd pick Lord of the Rings and Metallica.

I'm not saying Star Trek is a terrible game. It's decent and at the right price I would pick another one up. But at the same price point, I'd pick Metallica any day of the week.

#56 9 years ago

Could not agree more. As for the long ball times thing, that machine was clearly not set up right.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Could not agree more. As for the long ball times thing, that machine was clearly not set up right.

Agreed. Metallica can be brutal. I have to play LOTR for a bit to warm up before I play Metallica.

2 months later
#58 9 years ago

Now that the new code is out for Star Trek have feelings toward it changed? We(my son and I) played both extensively this weekend at TPF and I'm on the fence. I want to pick up one of them, leaning to MET (he loved ST just a hair more)because I don't think I will be able to find one very easily down the road. I like them both and can see being happy with either. I know I'm running out of time for a NIB, just wondering what will be easier to find later..ie AC/DC. Didn't see the need to start a new tread, so I resurrected this one..lol

#59 9 years ago

I've heard Stern will be running a new batch of Met pro towards the end of the month.

I'm toying with the idea of picking one up if I don't own any taxes this year, or wait for the next VE which is unknown at this time.

ST is very fun with the new code, I must say Stern has had quite a few great pins lately.

#60 9 years ago

Hard call. I really want a Metallica but I'd be super sad if I had to give up my ST LE for one. I can't choose. Both!

#61 9 years ago

ST is better with the update but don't think it's a brand new game. Gameplay is tweaked so it is more fun but I don't think it will change any minds that didn't like it before. However, if you liked ST before, you will love it now. I don't think ST or MET will be hard to find in the future.

#62 9 years ago

I've owned both LE's and Metallica really needs to be Pre/LE for the lighting alone but ST is mostly comsetic, you can add lights to the warp ramp and get Aurichs backglass/speaker panel to make quite the nice looking pin. My choice would be StarTrek but you can't go wrong with either.

#63 9 years ago

It's funny that this tread (which I had missed the first time around) has been bumped up.
I've been going through this discussion in my head recently.... which to buy, which to buy... etc.
The theme of ST awesome but there's just something I'm missing. I usually walk away from it feeling a bit frustrated.
Metallica on the other had usually makes me feel great... but I could see the music really wearing on me. I'd probably go for a HUO MET Pro if I could find one with original cabinet (and at a decent price)... the speaker artwork on the Metallica LED looks ugly IMHO.

#64 9 years ago

It is really cool that you can choose either one of these, or both and go buy them NIB. I liked ST before, but now ST is just more fun. MET is great also, but just too dark for myself personally. They are both winners. Can you imagine both of these next to each other in your game room?

#65 9 years ago

Both great games. Can't go wrong with either one of them. Buy both if you can!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,600 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-metallica-pro-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.