“If you had to buy one of these games NIB, which would it be?”

• Star Trek Pro 101 votes
    42%
  • Metallica Pro 102 votes
    43%
  • Buy them both you cheap bastard! 35 votes
    15%

(238 votes)

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

So I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these NIB but just can't decide which one. I didn't find any recent threads on this topic. Since both of these games have been out for a bit, I'd like to see what peoples opinions are. Here's what I got so far...

Round 1 - Theme:
Both execute their themes very well. But for me I prefer that Star Trek theme. I'm a fan of Sci-Fi. It's a theme that would also be more well liked outside of the pinball world as well. I'd say if you polled everyone in America, Star Trek would be more liked than Metallica. I still like the Metallica theme though. I'm into rock and metal and tattoos and all that business, so Metallica is also a good theme.
--->Star Trek wins this round for me.

Round 2: - Layout:
Both layouts are great. I like a fan layout and they both have it. But Star Trek has that 3rd flipper...
--->Star Trek wins

Round 3: Toys:
Sparky is cool. It's satisfying to hit it. It's cool when he shakes at multiball. With the latest code update, I think the magnet has improved. Star Trek has that ship though...It looks good. But the magnet is just not that satisfying. All it seems to do it hold the ball....kind of lame. The kicker is cool though. I've always been a fan of kickers. Plus the ship kicks when you hit it which is pretty awesome.
--->Star Trek wins this one...barely....

Round 4: Artwork:
This is an easy one. The artwork on Metallica is awesome. Star Trek was whipped up in a matter of hours and is incredibly disappointing.
--->Metallica wins hands down

Round 5: Ramps:
Yes I know everyone likes metal ramps and wireforms....but I actually like the clear plastic ones. It makes me feel like the ball glides on them and floats...I don't know. I like the Star Trek ramps. Plus, it has 3. And 3 has to beat 2.
--->Star Trek wins

Round 6: Gameplay:
I like games when you need to complete missions to get to a wizard mode (ie Addams, TZ, JP, and so on). I don't even understand how to play Metallica after 50 or so plays. What the hell is fuel for? Is it just multiball multiball multiball??? Star trek shows you exactly what to do...and does it with LEDs. I like all the different missions. Also, the animations on the DMD are cool with the different missions.
---->Star Trek wins all day

Round 7: Cabinet shape
Seems dumb I know. But I hate the new cabinet head design. It's not flush with the sides sticking out. I have OCD and that drives me fricking nuts!!!
---->Metallica wins. Why did you do this Stern? Looks like crap.

Round 8: Price and resale
I'm a guy that has a wife that won't allow me to have $20k invested in pins. So i move through them a lot. I've got to think about what I'll end up getting out of it when it's time to sell. Best price I've found on a NIB Metallica is $4450 to my door. Best price on NIB Star Trek I've found is $4650 to my door. $200 isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things though...
I'd rather pick up a HUO or routed machine and avoid the NIB price hit, but you don't see a lot of them out for sale just yet. I'm guessing when people sell them, HUO machines will go for about $300-$400 less than a NIB. So Metallica around $4100 and Star Trek around $4300. A routed machine I would expect Metallica around $3900 and Star Trek around $4100. Who knows yet though, this is just an educated guess.
--->No winner this round. Too soon to tell.

So it looks like in my opinion Star Trek won 5-2. I didn't go through a whole lot of categories, just ones that I find important. So what do you guys think? Anybody have both of them and think one is better than the other?

#2 10 years ago

Poll added

#3 10 years ago

With the new software, Metallica is a great game. Using the mulitballs to get to other multiball or Crank it Up adds a strategic element. Also, not being awarded a coffin lock, but being able to work towards one during multiballs adds another strategic element. The Crank it Up mini-wizard modes is one of the best wizard modes ever(still haven't gotten to End of the Line).
On the other hand, Star Trek is the same thing over and over again- shoot whichever ramp is flashing, preferably by comboing it. The warp shot is cool, but it is in desperate need of software that utilizes it better. Possibly integrating the targets into the modes might break up the monotony and make it a better game. Beyond that, I don't see how it could be improved much.

#4 10 years ago

met owners will say met.
ST owners will say ST.

#5 10 years ago

I've owned both and I say ST.
Plus, you get minimal gameplay differences with ST Pro / LE vs Met Pro / LE

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

met owners will say met.
ST owners will say ST.

I know! That's what I don't want though...looking for people who have played both and own both....or people who have played both and own neither.

#7 10 years ago

Round 6 was the only round needed. Everything else is meaningless except round 8. You can afford it, so ST. Nothing agains MET, but if you like the gameplay of ST better, get ST.

#8 10 years ago

Personally I can't understand how anyone can suggest StarTrek over Metallica at the moment.
Not until code on StarTrek gets some more work into it.
Once that happens, THEN you've got a decision to make.

Of course, your post shows why StarTrek is the better game for you.
So what are you waiting for?

#9 10 years ago

Played both. Own neither. Will not buy either. They are both very cool games and I have enjoyed playing them. I say go with Metallica. Just a more striking and visually interesting cabinet. I think the game play is a little better as well. You say you don't know what to do - just more time it will keep you engaged learing how to play it and developing a strategy.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Ozzie:

You say you don't know what to do - just more time it will keep you engaged learing how to play it and developing a strategy.

I might need to do that before I make a decision. Anyone know where to find a rule sheet for both?

#11 10 years ago

Owned both . ST is gone and Met is a keeper!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

met owners will say met.
ST owners will say ST.

I own ST. Had it 2 weeks now and kind of wishing I went MET. The modes on ST are already getting boring for me. If it wasn't for a friend owning MOP and Steve R hinting about a code update coming mine would be for sale. Wife loves it though. End of the day I walk in my game room, have a 2 week old game and walk over to my other pins. In the last 2 weeks I've played more VP then ST. Hard to say that but just how I feel. Disappointed right now.

#13 10 years ago

I've played both this week out in the "wild" and do not own either one of them but if I had to choose, I would choose the Metallica. I am not much of a Trek fan and I knew a few Metallica songs growing up so neither one of those factors would really make my opinion too heavily biased towards a special theme.
With that being said, Metallica LE/Pro is my next machine. Star Trek really surprised me how good it is with the lighting, modes, and I love the flow & Multiball modes but if you are not too much a of Star Trek fan I could see it getting old sooner than a Metallica. That's my opinion. Metallica is aesthetically more appealing graphic wise, puts up a good challenge for all skill levels, plus with the music cranked and the new code, you have yourself a game that everyone can enjoy.

METALLICA.

#14 10 years ago

Between the two I personally like ST. Do yourself a Favor and try out the new Mustang pin .

#15 10 years ago

I have a STPro and a Refinery MET. They are both ultra modern games and both have fantastic eye appeal and play great. You forgot to add a Round 9, Sound. To me ST wins hands down, the call outs are really good but the sound effects are great. It's like you have the soundtrack of the movie playing while your playing the game and the sound is tied to the game your playing. I hate to say it but my Refinery MET with extras, while a fun and beautiful game will have to go.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MedievalMike:

Between the two I personally like ST. Do yourself a Favor and try out the new Mustang pin .

I did play the new mustang pin. It's looks awesome but I did not like the gameplay. I'm a fan of ramps, and with only one to shoot for that isn't always down, it felt like playing an old flat EM. No offense to mustang owners but I was happy to walk away from that one without spending another dime. But I must say, the cabinet was sexy!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

They are both ultra modern games and both have fantastic eye appeal and play great. You forgot to add a Round 9, Sound. To me ST wins hands down, the call outs are really good but the sound effects are great. It's like you have the soundtrack of the movie playing while your playing the game and the sound is tied to the game your playing.

Have to agree with this statement . I will say that the MET I have been playing is on location and has 1.1 code. So I am sure that takes away a lot of my initial experience.

#19 10 years ago

Both are very good, you won't be disappointed either way. If you can get both, even better!

#20 10 years ago

I own both.
I have my vote towards MET.

As others have stated the current code on ST gets old fast. All of the level 1 modes are repetitive and seem exactly the same besides call outs and audio. Im content to play a game or two and walk away. Ive contemplated putting my STLE up for sale, but i know from talking to Steve there is still much to come for ST. He knows the code needs work and he's working on it now along with his next project. So I'm holding out hope on STLE.

On the other hand you have MET, i havent enjoyed an adrenal rush game like this since Iron Man. While i may play 2 games of STLE, ill play 10 games of my Metpro. There is lots to do on MET, and the latest code has made this game bad ass. Love the mini wizard Crank it up modes.

#21 10 years ago

Played both own neither,

I'd go Met over ST

#22 10 years ago

Metallica for one word and one word only: CODE

If you can wait a couple months before deciding, do so. ST is 10X inferior to Metallica in the code dept; but it hasn't had a 'real' update since release of the LEs. If you're thinking of buying st pro, wait for the code! GL patient grasshopper

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you can wait a couple months before deciding, do so. ST is 10X inferior to Metallica in the code dept; but it hasn't had a 'real' update since release of the LEs. If you're thinking of buying st pro, wait for the code! GL patient grasshopper

I started to write almost exactly this and saw SKB already did it for me. I own both and like both, but until ST code comes out it's Metallica every day of the week. With ST code on the horizon, my tune could change, but MET is the clear winner at this stage with re: to code.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

+1 one more. I own neither, but have extensively played ST Pro, ST LE, MET Pro, and MET Prem.

While I also vastly prefer the theme and the shots/flow of ST over MET, the difference that makes me want to put in more quarters and press start on MET is the code and gameplay.

- The Crank It Up mini-wizard modes and the heart-thumping risk/reward of going for more is enough to tip the scales for me.

But if that weren't enough...
All the strategic/tactical choices on MET REALLY tip the scales:
- Hurry-Up Super Skill shot that isn't just about points, and is difficult to pull off (relative to ST).
- Breadth of play --- all the choices at any given time when the ball is on the flipper:
MB: MET = 4, with some stackable.
ST = 2 (Sorry, but Warp add-a-ball doesn't count).

MET Modes to qualify, start, play, and/or stack: FUEL, S&D, LJ, Combo JP can all be stacked with each other or with any MB (and they're all a rush to play!).
ST Mode to qualify, start, play is One. Solo. Single. There are 18 of them, but it's just one at a time. No breadth.

- Player-controlled Mystery level awards.
- 2x Scoring (and 4x when in MB).

Other MET risk/reward elements:
- Gravemarkers: cash in your multiball, or lose your progress when you lose your ball.
- Qualified Hurry-ups / Qualified "locked in" inserts for CIU progress: cash them in before you lose your ball, but if you stack them, you get more points at the Hurry-Up cash in.

There's really no competition at this point in their respective codes, imho.

#25 10 years ago

Really depends on if you need a deep game or a fun fast game.
If I were buying a pro version Metallica, Prem version ST.
ST is a much deeper game but Metallica is just plain fun to me
I own both games Metallica in pro form and STLE.
Bang for the buck Metallica best NIB stern being built at the moment.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

+1 one more. I own neither, but have extensively played ST Pro, ST LE, MET Pro, and MET Prem.

Thanks for the detailed response/opinion.

Where could a guy find a rule sheet on Metallica with the new code?

#27 10 years ago

Let me just un-even this poll.

*Nudge*

There ya go, Metallica. Wife and I decided on it over ST Pro, both Trek nerds too.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks for the detailed response/opinion.
Where could a guy find a rule sheet on Metallica with the new code?

Not a comprehensive rule sheet, but a lot of detail contained in the MET 1.50 or the MET 1.51 code threads here on pinside. Look under my profile for posts I've made for either of those two threads.

#29 10 years ago

That's a tough one...I really like both of those machines. I'd probably end up going ST because the audio would wear on me less, but those are both solid machines.

#30 10 years ago

I own both and until the new code I would have said Star Trek Pro all day. However Metallica has got really good and I would say Its a tie at the moment. New code would determine the outcome of this poll. Either way they are both great and I vote for you to get both of them at some point

#31 10 years ago

I can't believe how even this poll is....craziness....

#32 10 years ago

Dude, GET BOTH!!!

#33 10 years ago

Dude, my wife would chop off my balls!.....even more than she already has.....

#34 10 years ago

Oh, and for the record we decided to purchase Met....BEFORE THE CODE UPDATE WAS ANNOUNCED. =P

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Dude, my wife would chop off my balls!.....even more than she already has.....

New third choice in poll:
Buy them both, you eunuch!

#36 10 years ago

Play both of them. After that you wont need anyone telling you what is the better pin. Like you said your wife wont let you blah blah blah. So take the time out and see for yourself. Like I said there will be a clear winner in your eyes. I notice many people dont like to say bad things about a pin they own bc they dont want to hurt there market when it comes to selling it. On a side note im a HUGE, HUGE Metallica fan and not a huge Star trek fan. I have played both and would buy (drum roll..............) neither (at the moment).

#37 10 years ago

OP missed a lot o things imo. ST has a boring layout--SM Lite, basically. 2 very easy main ramps (backhandable with your eyes closed!) and one single 'interesting' thing to shoot at, the single drop target with magnet/kicker behind it. Art is so-so (not a fan of big photoshopped actors' heads) and the dots are laughably crude. And the "18" modes are like chopping wood, shooting the same very limited shots over and over (flashing insert, colored insert, flashing insert....)

OTOH, MET has cool artwork. Difficult and more satisfying ramps. The tight center sparky shot with magnet randomizer. Very cool inline drops. Snake and captive ball. The orbits have a stop post up top. Good VARIETY of things to shoot for, and even now, the modes and shots are varied and interesting. And the music is better.

I like Star Trek theme (but not so much the reboot movies), like Metallica music but not a huge fan. But for playing pinball, I'll drop some coin in MET. Never in ST unless I have to (such as in league play). The game is boring to me and progress feels tedious.

All my opinions/views, of course.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

OP missed a lot o things imo. ST has a boring layout--SM Lite, basically. 2 very easy main ramps (backhandable with your eyes closed!) and one single 'interesting' thing to shoot at, the single drop target with magnet/kicker behind it. Art is so-so (not a fan of big photoshopped actors' heads) and the dots are laughably crude. And the "18" modes are like chopping wood, shooting the same very limited shots over and over (flashing insert, colored insert, flashing insert....)

I'm starting to agree with this. You make a good point.

#39 10 years ago

Well I went with Star Trek and I'm very happy with my decision. I love the LED lighting, the ship is awesome, and holy $h*t this game flows! I had a Tron for a while and i thought that flowed well, this game smokes Tron in the flow department. Thanks for all of your opinions and input in my decision making process.

#40 10 years ago

Congrats on the new game.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Well I went with Star Trek and I'm very happy with my decision. I love the LED lighting, the ship is awesome, and holy $h*t this game flows! I had a Tron for a while and i thought that flowed well, this game smokes Tron in the flow department. Thanks for all of your opinions and input in my decision making process.

Agreed. The flow on ST is fantastic. I prefer the flow of the Pro better (the plastic ramp returns and straight return on the L ramp simply play faster than the Prem/LE wire forms). Combos are very satisfying to hit, and rewarded handsomely in scoring. Enjoy!

9 months later
#42 9 years ago

Last post on this thread is over 9 months old. Would like to know what people think now as I am on the fence between these 2 machines. This could change drastically if ST ever gets updated code but how good really is MET? Pro models comparisons only please. Both have led versions too so...

#43 9 years ago

I use to own ST and I've played plenty of Met and I would say Met all day long.

#44 9 years ago

I own both and would go met

#45 9 years ago

As if this is even a contest....MET please.

#46 9 years ago

Totally forgot about this post. ST pro was gone within 2 months. I've had Met pro for about 6 months now and it's here to stay for a while. Met pro is BY FAR a superior game in my opinion. There is no question, if anyone is on the fence, get Metallica. Trust me!

#47 9 years ago

MET (and it's not even close)

Disclaimer: I used to own STLE now I own METLE

#48 9 years ago

Could any of the above posts explain why you think it is a superior game? Besides code, MET has better flow, deeper rules, better ramps, etc? Thanks!

#49 9 years ago

Both are great games. I really like both and have played a fair amount of both (more ST because I own it).

I honestly prefer ST although I would not mind owning both. I prefer both over AC/DC. Both would be top 20 pins to me and if ST code gets a good update it could be top 10 material.

#50 9 years ago

I own both and MET is better by far. It is better in almost every way but the simplest way I can put it is this... Star Trek = hit the flashing ramps. Over and over and over. Good game but MET honestly challenges for best I've ever played.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-metallica-pro-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.