30%
  • TNA 40 votes
    24%

(164 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A9E5CC4C-BE21-4E00-A0A4-C945E19481A9 (resized).jpeg
45B0298F-8E2A-4B6D-85E3-F65E5EC6BB40 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

I have owned them all. TNA is best for you IMHO, esp if the family is all into it. I saw you guys playing on route last Sunday and the whole family seemed really into TNA. Did you play any CoOP games with all 4 of you working together to destroy the game?

Also, for the poll... Pinside historically has a bunch of people that are hardcore on ST (esp defenders of the premium/LE looking to dump and hoping they will eventually stop loosing value on the secondary market), so that will almost always skew a poll like this. Too many defenders of the game they own rather than purely judging on what they really feel is best for you in their opinion.

Ironman would be my second choice for you based on what you seem to like in pinball.

ST would be a distant 3rd. You have already been down that road and it did not stick for a reason.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Limited shots.

TNA has 13 shots from the main pf. 7 more shots from the upper. 20 total shots from 3 flippers.
IM has 18 total shots from 2 flippers.
ST has 21 total shots from 3 flippers.

All 3 games are very similar in number of shots. Someone at one point came up with this narrative that TNA has limited shots when in reality it has similar amount of shots as every modern game.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Lots of people consider ‘shots’ being different than stand up targets (at least I do).

fair enough if that is how you play pinball and think about it. I can totally understand "feel" of a shot as being your qualifier for a shot.

In most case I guess I would agree, esp if a game has four standups in a bank and you can hit any one of them to award the shot (i.e. Whiplash you can hit either and in fact they are angled for that reason). TNA each standup is a specific shot and programmed into the game with the need to hit specific shots so I personally think they all feel really different, esp in actual game play. For example, I can promise you when you are on reactor 5 and all you have let is the "D" target, it feels extremely different then the "R" target in that same bank.

If you really want to think of shots as how they "feel" then I would say TNA has 11 main shot "feels"
Left RAD targets (in progressively harder to hit as you go down)
Left orbit/ spinner (man this feels great to hit, esp in combo and when supper spinner is rocking)
Red block targets (one on each side but they feel similar to me with a nigh deflecting hit to be safe and often the easiest feeling shot for me)
Left scoop (love this sound, feel, challenge, and speed of return)
Keypad standup bank (in your face and all 3 targets feel similar but I treat them different as the outside can be glanced easier and center can be death)
Drop 1 (beautiful either forehand or back hand and the return bounce is quick due to position at front of channel)
Drop 2 (I prefer forehand for this and the channel often makes it a less predictable return)
Drop 3 (I prefer back hand and the channel tends to have enough space for a predictable and smooth exit)
Right Scoop (oh so satisfying to hit, the sound followed by the drop resets in mutli is music to my ears and feels amazing; also the return speed is completely different thane the drop inlines)
Right Orbit (probably my most challenging shot but butter smooth)
Right pop bumper smash (k-thunk sound of hitting this to vlow a reactor is like none other)

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have not played a ton of TNA so not trying to be the worlds authority on TNA but the upper play field takes up let’s say a third of the entire game area? You flip the ball hit something or not and then the ball drains to the lower PF. It’s not like these shots are monumental not like you are trying to hit the center spinner on IM for 40M point shot probably a 4 year old can hit some targets up there by accident or randomly and get rewarded.
Much like the upper PF on Woz or the lower PF on AcDc which are a subplot of the game. AcDc completely does away with the lower PF on some versions that’s how unimportant it is.
I’m not attacking TNA still want one but I’m just pointing out what some people might call a weakness.

This response makes it obvious you have not played the game much. Not trying to be a dick here and you are entitled to your opinion, but yes shooting top lanes from upper pf and hitting standups in upper pf are extremely important when going for big points and all very makeable and controlled shots.

I suggest getting a nights session on the game with someone that can show you the ropes and explain on the fly. The speed of the game can make you miss the importance of each shot if you are just too busy reacting and slapping the ball around.

#65 5 years ago

now for IM feel of shots, I put it at 10 main "feel shots"

Left bank are all similar in feel
Left orbit is great and smooth/satisfying to blast
War machine with the in your face return
Left ramp is so much fun and the exact right amount of smoothness and need of clean shot
Center spinner is tight feeling when you need it but not so important most of the time
Whiplash while 2 targets they dont feel any differnet and either functions the same.
Right ramp actually feels very simialer to left but just opposing flipper. I actually think its beast feature is the tie in to other ramp and hitting them alternating on the fly is super fun!
Right spinner/orbit feels similar to left but nice and clean also
Right target bank all feel similar.

IM again has similar number of "feel" shots as TNA. However, for me personally IM is more bilaterally divided in design so I find the right and left sides of the game feel similar and I take points away for that (i.e. left and right orbit, left and right target banks, left and right ramps are similar feel, just opposite sides of pf). This bilateral design is part of the appear for the game, but to me it 'feels' much less diverse in shot type than a game like TNA.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I love TNA, IM, and ST, all great games. IM has 7 shots, ST has 8 if I remember correctly and TNA has 4. No clue what you mean when you say feel shots and that you are subtracting from IM's shots because it is bilateral. It is no more bilateral then TNA and a shot/defined ball path is a shot. You don't get to remove one because its a "feel shot"
If anything TNA is much more bilateral. 4 shots, the orbits are essentially the same, the scoop and the drops are very close to in the same spots as well. Very similar positioned shots from either flipper.

we can agree to disagree.

I did not state the "feel" idea but I can get behind it and understand how people perceive shots based on fell. Also just pointing out how TNA has lots of "feels"

Orbits feel completely different on TNA. I think everyone will say the left is easier to hit than the right and on different flipper position. Scoops are completely different on R and L also (both position and depth of field and return)

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m just saying there are other great games and saying that does not mean TNA is not great as well. It’s in the discussion certainly for this thread.

for sure, 100%

I think all 3 games in discussion here are super fun. We are splitting hairs and just having fun discussing.

I still think you cant go wrong with either. For the OP, I personally suggest TNA as I think the family will really love the Co-Op and that is a big sell in this case. Great to get the family playing together.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-iron-man-vault-vs-tna?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.