30%
  • TNA 40 votes
    24%

(164 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A9E5CC4C-BE21-4E00-A0A4-C945E19481A9 (resized).jpeg
45B0298F-8E2A-4B6D-85E3-F65E5EC6BB40 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 5 years ago

I'll add TWD pro (as a biting game) it's wicked fun.

I just got AFM sitting next to IM and they are both excellent choices (one more game!!)

I owned STLE and feel like it's more of a long playing game like SM and you really need to play 10++ minutes to see a lot of the depth. It's still great pin bit not a quick brutal pin like IM/AFM/TWD. ST is more of a long game and games like Tron/IM/TWD/AFM can be long but not as necessary to be long game.

I have TNA on my wish list and on order but thinking much like you that it may be too much of the same same.

At least AFM has a martin attack mode to mix things up.

Bottom line I voted IM and would add TWD (pro) and AFM.

I prefer TWD pro (cheaper and also less things to stop the clock like the crossbow) ant the station ramp is a lot more smooth than the lifting ramp.
A9E5CC4C-BE21-4E00-A0A4-C945E19481A9 (resized).jpegA9E5CC4C-BE21-4E00-A0A4-C945E19481A9 (resized).jpeg

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've been struggling with this first world decision for quite awhile now. I did own a Star Trek Pro a few years back. It was great, I loved playing it. Then I got the selling itch and thought I would sell it and get a WOZ. WOZ didn't last too long. If I get a Star Trek again I am going to get a Premium this time, been hard to shake the desire to get a Star Trek again. I think an Iron Man might be more fun for all 4 of us to play though.

If you owned ST (like I did) the LE/premium is nicer (IMO) sure you pay more but it's got the star field, the crashing Vengeance ship full color changing inserts, the up kicker to the ramp etc.. I still feel like ST has some bugs that would make me hesitate to buy. For example if the kickback misses the save it just drains while many other pins I have played will give you the ball back (it's obvious the ball was not saved like it should have been give the damn ball back that's so frustrating and such an easy fix/bug). I have not played the new code on ST bit didn't see that on the change log.

IM is just perfect, it's got just a few inserts to light (much like Tron) plus it resets the mode inserts on each ball which adds a nice bit of difficulty.

#54 5 years ago

TNA has some demerits it still has a lot of great aspects.

Some people love it so I may too.
Great lighting effects.
Great music.
Great multi player game.
Shorter game type.
Great theme.

Some weaknesses:
Limited shots.
May tend to play the same way all the time.

On the whole TNA seems like a good choice but so does IM which you can get for less money.

Regarding Tron, I’d say IM is very similar with good callouts music theme and poor DMD clips from the movie. I’d call IM a poor man’s Tron.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

TNA has 13 shots from the main pf. 7 more shots from the upper. 20 total shots from 3 flippers.
IM has 18 total shots from 2 flippers.
ST has 21 total shots from 3 flippers.
All 3 games are very similar in number of shots. Someone at one point came up with this narrative that TNA has limited shots when in reality it has similar amount of shots as every modern game.

Lots of people consider ‘shots’ being different than stand up targets (at least I do).

All shots are not created equal. Is the lock target or spider sense target at important or fun to hit as the three ramps on SM?

IM has : 6 (non-target shots)

2 orbits
2 ramps
1 Center orbit
1 War Machine kick back

The remaining are stand up (drone, whiplash, monger).

TNA has 4 (non-target shots)
2 orbits
1 scoop
1 drop target area

————

So IM has 50% more non-target shots.

#59 5 years ago

I have not played a ton of TNA so not trying to be the worlds authority on TNA but the upper play field takes up let’s say a third of the entire game area? You flip the ball hit something or not and then the ball drains to the lower PF. It’s not like these shots are monumental not like you are trying to hit the center spinner on IM for 40M point shot probably a 4 year old can hit some targets up there by accident or randomly and get rewarded.

Much like the upper PF on Woz or the lower PF on AcDc which are a subplot of the game. AcDc completely does away with the lower PF on some versions that’s how unimportant it is.

I’m not attacking TNA still want one but I’m just pointing out what some people might call a weakness.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Why stop there? Let's add in the 2nd drop, 3rd drop, and that scoop in the back of the drops for a new total of 23 shots!

Seven shots on the upper PF?

#69 5 years ago

I’m not against TNA, I may buy one. I’m just saying there are other great games and saying that does not mean TNA is not great as well. It’s in the discussion certainly for this thread.

I’m planning to play TNA at my friends house but we have to sync up our schedule.

#72 5 years ago

I’m certainly able to change my opinion.

I was mildly against Woz and TWD on first impressions but now love both.

I was more against Woz during the initial year or two it was out especially on location but in a home environment I love it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 24.95
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-iron-man-vault-vs-tna?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.