30%
  • TNA 40 votes
    24%

(164 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A9E5CC4C-BE21-4E00-A0A4-C945E19481A9 (resized).jpeg
45B0298F-8E2A-4B6D-85E3-F65E5EC6BB40 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 5 years ago

Well I own both IM and TNA, so I'll tell you my experience. These two games get played the most in my collection over the last year, along with FG from time to time. What do they all have in common? Short game times and a ridiculous amount of getting my ass kicked. That's the kind of gameplay I love.

Most pins have some degree of rinse & repeat in their rules, but TNA thrives upon it. Start reactor, critical reactor, destroy reactor...with various score maxing strategies & multiballs mixed in along the way. It's just how the lighting & music is integrated into TNA that makes it so appealing (along with mutiplayer), and the fact that it is easy to learn, hard to master. That gets compounded when you start a multiball when you didn't mean to, which I find pretty frustrating.

IM is straightforward with it's rules as well, but it is just SO much more appealing to me. The modes are easy for a beginner to grasp, but are deeply layered for an experienced player, because they are so hard to complete. Take the Whiplash multiball mode for example. Sure it's easy enough to start, but how many people are actually able to complete all 18 shots for the Superjackpot? I know I never have. It's like this for the other multiball modes as well.

And the wizard modes are my favorite in pinball. It's not impossible to get to Jericho, but it's challenging, and it sure is fun to rack up millions with each successful shot. The fact Jericho is a single ball mode is brilliant, because the points are right there for the taking with skillful play. And scoring the timed 35M Do-Or-Die Hurry-up on a single ball is one of the greatest satisfying thrills in pinball. IM is a perfect example of how good coding ideas can elevate a game to greatness.

Plus IM fights you back the entire time. The War Machine kickback is brutal. The game is fast & flowly even with two magnets. Want an extra ball? Good luck earning one. Want to get to Do-Or-Die Multiball? Maybe when pigs fly. This pin makes you earn EVERY FRICKING POINT. An uniformed player might look at IM and see a "stripped down" modern pin & never give it a chance. I see pure brilliance from Borg design & Lyman coding. It's a modern classic.

Can you tell which way I'm leaning here? IM all day! I'd never sell mine.

#23 5 years ago

And the fact that Star Trek Pro is leading your poll with almost 50% of the vote says a lot. It's a perfect example of how players can be so dismissive of games with a basic layout, appear to look simple, or don't have an appreciation for that type of gameplay. Hell I'm just 6 years into this hobby and I'm only beginning to enjoy how great EM pins can be

I'd take a pristine classic 80's Bally like Embryon over any LCD pin Stern is pumping out these days. That's just me though. Lots of different types of pinball out there for everyone!

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m really wondering what the deal is with Stern and Tron. It is hard for me to believe that either SM or AC/DC vaults did as well as Tron would do. The demand is clearly still out there for more Tron machines.
OP, in my expierence when you buy a game a second time it is never as much fun as it was the first time. Whatever reasons drove you to sell it the first will resurface quickly and you won’t be as happy having it back as you think you will be. Everything you are saying in this thread leads everyone to suggest you move on from ST and dip your toe into TNA or IM.
I do agree with the poster above who said TWD May also be worth considering.

Yeah a Tron VE, specially if re-skinned as the 1982 movie version, would be a no brainer. Of course that would require a lot of work (new DMD animations, new cabinet & playfield artwork, new music & callouts, etc), which is why it probably would never happen. But I think there’s a ton of buyer demand for something special like that.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I can’t get enough of Iron Man. It’s perfect. No pins offers the same rush.

Did you find another one? Prying your IMVE from you was the best pin purchase I ever made

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hoakypoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-vs-iron-man-vault-vs-tna?tu=hoakypoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.