(Topic ID: 67495)

Star trek pro still best bang for your buck. Forget this 8k + Operators loose.

By Benepinballs

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131019_203716.jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

For sub 5k Star trek, Metallica, etc, Have the best bang for the buck and great for keeping pins on location. Now that new pins are getting to be 8k plus they just are not feasible for many operators anymore and the fly by nights that do by them and put them on location will see just now long it really takes to get a return on investment.

Kudos to Stern for Making a great game that gets the adrenaline pumping and will get even better as new software is released. Heres hoping They keep putting out good pro models. If you have not put any time on a Star Trek find one to play, its a great game..

#2 10 years ago

5k for bare bones code?
Both those games have potential but until the code comes out they get boring quick.
My 2k JM is way bigger bang for the buck.

#3 10 years ago

Both MET pro and ST Pro are awesome games. Yes, codes have a bit of room for improvement, but it does not take away from fun and playability of them at all.

#4 10 years ago

So what happened to the WOZ lovefest?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

5k for bare bones code?
Both those games have potential but until the code comes out they get boring quick.

Bam! The way the OP was talking I was expecting that some completed code had been released.

#6 10 years ago

7k for the pro nib in Aus doesn't scream bang for buck to me.

#7 10 years ago

Agree, have to applaud Stern for putting out some really great pins for the best price going.
ST and MET Pros are really really good.

It would be better if they went back to the Standard/LE model where only the trim and glass are different. Would save a lot of trouble for different code, design and the Standard would be even better for the same price. Just like the Spiderman/LOTR models.

#8 10 years ago

Stern should hope that JJP doesn't decide to target the $4.5k product range, but for now I agree - Stern has the best product for operators.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Stern should hope that JJP doesn't decide to target the $4.5k product range

Now, that would be interesting. Probably years away, though, if ever.

#10 10 years ago

I'm sure it's light years above a $1500 Taxi. Should we start a #KickbackSucks hashtag?

#11 10 years ago

played the game a few times and it's probably the best game flow outhere and it's pretty fast but until the new code is out i'll wait and see before i buy it.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

For sub 5k Star Trek, Metallica, etc, Have the best bang for the buck and great for keeping pins on location. Now that new pins are getting to be 8k plus they just are not feasible for many operators anymore and the fly by nights that do by them and put them on location will see just now long it really takes to get a return on investment.

Kudos to Stern for Making a great game that gets the adrenaline pumping and will get even better as new software is released. Heres hoping They keep putting out good pro models. If you have not put any time on a Star Trek find one to play, its a great game..

So your saying that a 5k Star Trek is much better than a 8k MM?? I am assuming that statement is based on the fact it just costs less and not on actual gameplay

#13 10 years ago

Best bang for your buck? I have 2 incomplete NIB games (Met and Xmen)..why the hell would I want a third?

#14 10 years ago

Cramming as much stuff as possible into a single game does not make it more fun, usually the opposite. Stern is currently the best using pure finesse to express a theme and create great shots.
Making the game as fun as possible on a smaller budget takes some real skill.
Steve R. seems pretty good at it, glad he is at Stern.

#15 10 years ago

Best bang for your buck? Did someone forget about WOZ?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Really? Wow ok. So 2012. Thanks Tom. Appreciate the valuable on topic response.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from cardfelon:

So your saying that a 5k Star Trek is much better than a 8k MM?? I am assuming that statement is based on the fact it just costs less and not on actual gameplay

I think he means the stern LE's at 8k. And yes, since mm is still a dream and not viable it would be better at 5k than a drawing board game.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

That was the flavor of the (last) month.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Cramming as much stuff as possible into a single game does not make it more fun, usually the opposite.

I agree with you, but a lot of people won't.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy toys, but some people really seem to put way more emphasis on them than even makes sense. If it has more sh*t on it, it's got to be better, right? (I'm looking at you StevenP)

There are plenty of examples of great playing pins that have a pretty bare layout and few toys, including AFM, IM, and AC/DC.

#20 10 years ago

Those games tend to be my favorites.

#21 10 years ago

I had fun playing the new ST

#22 10 years ago

Jack played the new ST and he likes it.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from JC_Pins:

Cramming as much stuff as possible into a single game does not make it more fun, usually the opposite. Stern is currently the best using pure finesse to express a theme and create great shots.
Making the game as fun as possible on a smaller budget takes some real skill.
Steve R. seems pretty good at it, glad he is at Stern.

Wait, taking out half of the things to shoot at and making ramps/lanes wider/easier to shoot as compensation is more fun? Oh yeah... it's "flow"!

P.S. Stop looking at me Rob! More isn't always better, but yeah, I do like a variety of things to shoot at. Metallica is a pretty fun game imo, with a decent shot and layout variety. OTOH, ST is extremely bare-bones. With so few things to shoot, the modes are gonna be pretty repetitive. (Shoot the green inserts! Now shoot the red inserts! And the single drop target 3 times!!)

#24 10 years ago

I can't wot to play the new ST!

#25 10 years ago

Been playing my STID for months now with guests and we are all having a blast. Not sure if any of us would know if it's complete code or not. Now if you are not into the theme, then you are probably not going to like " any" game that is not your "theme."

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

With so few things to shoot, the modes are gonna be pretty repetitive. (Shoot the green inserts! Now shoot the red inserts! And the single drop target 3 times!!)

Welcome to pinball machines.

EDIT: 3 ramps, 2 orbits, spidey sense shot, left hole, center target/shot....don;t know if I'd call that "so few" shots.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Best bang for your buck? Did someone forget about WOZ?

I do think its possible a Metallica & a Star Trek together may be a better value than a single standard WOZ at $8500 shipped. Now I'm not sure about that, just saying its possible.

Similar prices for 2 incomplete games vs 1 incomplete game Stern has an edge there?

#28 10 years ago

Trek was fun, but I would argue Metallica is a better bang for your buck.

#29 10 years ago

St still needs work but yeah I would take st and met over any more expensive choice. I certainly would not trade them if that was the only choice to get a mmr

#30 10 years ago

Met is way better!!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Trek was fun, but I would argue Metallica is a better bang for your buck.

I haven't played "a ton" of either, but enjoyed both. I might lean more towards Metallika, as I think the layout is a touch more interesting.

#32 10 years ago

except they just released 1.22 tonight for WOZ, if its still considered an incomplete game after what has been added, then this is gonna be one very deep machine.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

5k for bare bones code?

Yeah and My Shadow!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree with you, but a lot of people won't.
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy toys, but some people really seem to put way more emphasis on them than even makes sense. If it has more sh*t on it, it's got to be better, right? (I'm looking at you StevenP)
There are plenty of examples of great playing pins that have a pretty bare layout and few toys, including AFM, IM, and AC/DC.

Those have toys and or substance that ST doesn't seem to have...

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Welcome to pinball machines.
EDIT: 3 ramps, 2 orbits, spidey sense shot, left hole, center target/shot....don;t know if I'd call that "so few" shots.

I would. Just for starters, compare it to the shots available in the somewhat similar layout of SM. And then think about a fairly recent game like WPT (also SR), with the 2 ramps and 2 orbits, backwall hole, scoop shot, the side lock standup, the changeable standups behind the pops, the entire mini-pf with two more flippers, a jail trap, standups, hurry-up hole, award reload hole, and then add SIXTEEN more distinct drop target shots on the main pf.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Really? Wow ok. So 2012. Thanks Tom. Appreciate the valuable on topic response.

Your Welcome.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

P.S. Stop looking at me Rob!

I can't Steven. It's like a train wreck. Can't look away no matter how hard I try!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I might lean more towards Metallika, as I think the layout is a touch more interesting.

The layout on MET is fantastic in my opinion. I'm sure I'm more enthusiastic about it than you are, but Borg really nailed the design on this one! Has pretty decent flow, with a fan layout that I love, but with some extra and somewhat unique shots thrown in. Huge potential on this one (broken record here I know).

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I would. Just for starters, compare it to the shots available in the somewhat similar layout of SM. And then think about a fairly recent game like WPT (also SR), with the 2 ramps and 2 orbits, backwall hole, scoop shot, the side lock standup, the changeable standups behind the pops, the entire mini-pf with two more flippers, a jail trap, standups, hurry-up hole, award reload hole, and then add SIXTEEN more distinct drop target shots on the main pf.

Fair enough. While I agree it has more shots, you can throw out "each drop target" as a shot; it's silly.

My basic point is all games are limited in number of shots, many times it comes down to personal pref whether it bores you or not. AFM is pretty "basic," but it's a great game. TF maybe has more shots, but I find it boring. FT has not that many and always have fun playing it.

#40 10 years ago

I agree that star trek is a feature packed game for a "pro". doesn't seem too empty or have a lack of shots.
looks and feels more like a POTC or spiderman as far as "stuff" on the playfield and shots.

it's a winner in my book.
D

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The layout on MET is fantastic in my opinion. I'm sure I'm more enthusiastic about it than you are, but Borg really nailed the design on this one!

Only more excited because I don't own it, or get to play it much. While the right side hole is a litte too "DE" for me , I think the layout is great. Inline drops are just fantastic. At times it almost feels like a widebody. I would consider buying one if I had some cashe`, and I don't care for the music at all.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I agree that Star Trek is a feature packed game for a "pro". doesn't seem too empty or have a lack of shots.
looks and feels more like a POTC or spiderman as far as "stuff" on the playfield and shots.
it's a winner in my book.
D

Umm, not so much. POTC has WAY more interactive "stuff" on the playfield. Ship that rocks, sails drop, and then sinks into the playfield. Chest that opens when hit. Spinning disc. ST has a bobble ship and a drop target. Not even comparable on an interactive toy basis. Not saying POTC is better (haven't played a ST yet), but ST is barren from an interactive toy perspective.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Stern should hope that JJP doesn't decide to target the $4.5k product range, but for now I agree - Stern has the best product for operators.

I'd be surprised if JJP could make a commercial pin that sells for $4.5k.

#44 10 years ago

Having a pro I can agree it is a hell of a game for the $, but none of us have played the LE, so I can't say if its worth or not worth the extra dough.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Only more excited because I don't own it, or get to play it much. While the right side hole is a litte too "DE" for me , I think the layout is great. Inline drops are just fantastic. At times it almost feels like a widebody. I would consider buying one if I had some cashe`, and I don't care for the music at all.

That's pretty high praise from you and I mean that in a good way.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

POTC has WAY more interactive "stuff" on the playfield.

Agreed, but toys don't do that much for me. Whether there are more moving parts that perform for me, doesn't add much if the game isn't fun.

Quoted from MrBally:

I'd be surprised if JJP could make a commercial pin that sells for $4.5k.

I'd be more than surprised if they even tried.

Quoted from RobT:

That's pretty high praise from you and I mean that in a good way.

It IS high praise. Don;t care for Met, love the game. Really like ACDC, couldn't care less for the game.
Journey on the other hand, great music, great video game

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The layout on MET is fantastic in my opinion. I'm sure I'm more enthusiastic about it than you are, but Borg really nailed the design on this one! Has pretty decent flow, with a fan layout that I love, but with some extra and somewhat unique shots thrown in. Huge potential on this one (broken record here I know).

See, we agree here. I played more MET at Expo and I really like this game. Has some interesting shots and things that interact with the ball (like chair magnet, snake mouth, inline drops with magnet, side scoop...) ST is very bare-bones and boring by comparison, IMO. Granted, I am not distracted by the oh-so-bright lights on ST.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Fair enough. While I agree it has more shots, you can throw out "each drop target" as a shot; it's silly.
My basic point is all games are limited in number of shots, many times it comes down to personal pref whether it bores you or not. AFM is pretty "basic," but it's a great game. TF maybe has more shots, but I find it boring. FT has not that many and always have fun playing it.

OK, but each drop target is a unique/separate shot. You need 4 of a kind? Then you need to hit each of the 4 K targets. Etc. And picking off drop targets does require accuracy, more than hitting a too-wide ramp or orbit shot.

I agree that some simple games can be lots of fun. AFM is a good example of a great game. But there's more to shoot at on AFM, and the ramps/lanes/scoop/orbits are much tighter than on ST. ST really feels empty by comparison. Fast, sure, but thin. Too thin.

#48 10 years ago

Metallica and Star Trek for the win! I love them more than...

20131019_203716.jpg20131019_203716.jpg
#49 10 years ago

My $500 Comet is the best bang for the buck. How the hell is $5,000 a good deal? I hate the new pricing of this hobby. LONG LIVE BROKEDAD!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed, but toys don't do that much for me. Whether there are more moving parts that perform for me, doesn't add much if the game isn't fun.

For sure. Toys don't necessarily equal fun or better. Was just responding to the assertion that ST has the same amount of interactive toys as POTC.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-still-best-bang-for-your-buck-forget-this-8k-operators-loose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.