(Topic ID: 206510)

Star Trek Pro (stern) vs. SW Pro (stern)

By adamross

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by teddyb73
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game do you prefer owning?”

• Star Trek (stern) 92 votes
    70%
  • Star Wars (stern) 40 votes
    30%

(132 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 1 year ago

As much as it pains me to say it (I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan), Star Trek absolutely destroys Star Wars. The layout is far superior, and the code actually makes sense for the layout. Star Wars layers and stacks modes, hurry ups, progress towards modes, multipliers, action button instances, and more all while throwing a game at you that's always at breakneck speed. It doesn't make sense to put such heavily layered code on a game that never gives you a chance to make measured actions.

Star Wars somehow feels like there are things missing while still feeling like there's too much going on at the same time; and it makes for a frustrating experience. When playing Star Wars, it feels more like you're just surviving through three balls. It's not that the game is hard, because it's not that difficult to progress through, but it's just hyper speed all the time on the physical end while the code is asking you to make deliberate decisions. It really makes no sense.

Star Trek, on the other hand, has a fantastic layout that tempers its speed enough that you can actually look at the game's indicators and properly play modes, hurry ups, and sequences that involve the action button. It can also get very fast, but it isn't always full throttle. There is WAY MORE strategy in approaching the different modes and multiballs in Star Trek than Star Wars as well. It's just all around better code and a better layout. They are so much more of a cohesive experience and feed off one another rather than clash and fight against each other like on Star Wars.

Can you enjoy Star Wars? Sure. I can see how some people might like that frantic madness, but I would say that Star Trek is objectively a better pinball machine. It feels so much better planned out and so much more carefully crafted on both the physical and software sides of things.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But that is the whole idea behind those mode start shots. Outside of modes, the game is nothing. But the shots to start them are both tough and let some crazy bounces happen where you risk draining off the target on the left, or slamming the door shut with the upper flipper. Maybe you lose the ball, maybe you start a mode. Good stuff... just play better

Both the left mode start and the away team shot are fantastic shots. Very cool use of the full width of the playfield.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's pretty simple, many people disagree with his statement. I also don't think it pains him to say it either or he would be in constant pain. It seems like him and Rarehero were members of Hydra. Once the Rarehero head was cut off another must rise up and state how terrible a stern game is over and over and over.

Yeah, and you and your downvote buddies are SO different.

I generally like most Stern games. I really like Game of Thrones. I don't like Star Wars. I love Ghostbusters. I like Aerosmith. Batman '66 is a game I think is quite bad. I find The Walking Dead to be awesome. It's almost like I have actual and real opinions that differ from game to game! Wow, that's a crazy and novel concept. Go flag some reviews or something. The fanboy crusade never rests!

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Not about being a fanboy. It is about repeating the same things over and over. I don’t like TWD particularily, but I don’t pronounce my hate for it over and over across all of Pinside. Simple broken record syndrome.

It's a thread about comparing two games. The guy asked for opinions between the two. I shared them. Should I post, "go reference my post in the forum about the Star Wars reveal. Don't go to the club thread, you won't find it there!"?

If everybody shared an opinion a single time and in only a single context, then we would have about 1/1000th the threads here, and few things would make much sense.

Now if someone starts a thread asking for opinions between Star Wars and The Hobbit, I'll give my reasons why I think Star Wars is a better game than the Hobbit. Different context, new framing of the opinion to the OP's question. Or should I link to this thread? I'm confused now.

And you take issue because you disagree, not because it's the "same opinion over and over across all of Pinside." If you took issue with the latter, you are probably feeling pretty down on all the positive opinions getting repeated "over and over across all of Pinside" too. Somehow I don't think that bothers you though.

This is how discussion works. It's ok to not agree. That is fine and normal. What's not fine and normal is getting uptight over a differing opinion on a game and clicking down arrows as often and as thoroughly as you can. That's really strange behavior.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside