(Topic ID: 206510)

Star Trek Pro (stern) vs. SW Pro (stern)

By adamross

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by teddyb73
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game do you prefer owning?”

• Star Trek (stern) 94 votes
    70%
  • Star Wars (stern) 41 votes
    30%

(135 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adamross.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I'm sci-fi nerd and struggling to choose which of these two machines should be my first Stern game. I already have a STTNG which I love, but Stern's ST seems to play very differently. I'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone who has spent considerable time on both tables, and apologies if this has already been covered in another forum, I couldn't find it.

#12 6 years ago

All really good points, many thanks. ST seems way more approachable and traditional in gameplay / layout. I've spent some time on SW and it does seem way more complicated, not necessarily a bad thing depending on the kind of player one is. I much prefer the SW theme...

#38 6 years ago

Really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm somewhat new to the hobby and still kinda suck, but what worries me about SW is how insanely short ball time is every time I play -seems almost impossible for me to control the ball. Maybe it's a totally different experience in the home where you can spend days / weeks/ months on it? I'm not too worried about rules, TZ was my first table which was overwhelming at first but didn't take too long to master. I love the strategy behind the shots - you need pinpoint accuracy or you get punished so controlling the ball seems to be the only way to beat the game IMO. I guess my question is, do you have to be a pro player to really enjoy SW and have respectable games?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

looking at your collection, I'd go with Star Wars. The advanced gameplay will compliment your easier games and hopefully, theoretically, give it some good longevity as it will take a long time to master. Lots of strategies, ways to play, and scoring opportunities. Would fit well next to your others. However, have you thought about the premium? having that hyperdrive in a home environment would be a blast...at least I think it would.

Good point re: fitting into my collection. I've played an LE and loved the hyperdrive but didn't really think it justified the 2k premium.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Pincrazy:

I have both SWLE and STLE, play them both about equally. ST does have the warp ramp adding another dimension and shot in the game with 3rd flipper. Call outs are great but are shorter than the call outs, video on SW. if ST had the current video layout, I would buy it over SW. all that being said, played a GOTG last weekend for a couple hours and really liked the music and call outs, along with the individual custom shots for each character you choose. I know you didn’t open it up for another game, but if I was to buy a new Stern it would be a Pro Guardians. Just my 2 cents.

Recently played a few games of GOTG and thought it shot really well, but everyone keeps saying the code is horrible and to wait at least 6 months before considering.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 21.50
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adamross.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-stern-vs-sw-pro-stern?tu=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.