(Topic ID: 206510)

Star Trek Pro (stern) vs. SW Pro (stern)

By adamross

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by teddyb73
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game do you prefer owning?”

• Star Trek (stern) 94 votes
    70%
  • Star Wars (stern) 41 votes
    30%

(135 votes)

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's pretty simple, many people disagree with his statement. I also don't think it pains him to say it either or he would be in constant pain. It seems like him and Rarehero were members of Hydra. Once the Rarehero head was cut off another must rise up and state how terrible a stern game is over and over and over.

Yeah, and you and your downvote buddies are SO different.

I generally like most Stern games. I really like Game of Thrones. I don't like Star Wars. I love Ghostbusters. I like Aerosmith. Batman '66 is a game I think is quite bad. I find The Walking Dead to be awesome. It's almost like I have actual and real opinions that differ from game to game! Wow, that's a crazy and novel concept. Go flag some reviews or something. The fanboy crusade never rests!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I generally like most Stern games. I really like Game of Thrones. I don't like Star Wars. I love Ghostbusters. I like Aerosmith. Batman '66 is a game I think is quite bad. I find The Walking Dead to be awesome. It's almost like I have actual and real opinions that differ from game to game! Wow, that's a crazy and novel concept. Go flag some reviews or something. The fanboy crusade never rests!

Not about being a fanboy. It is about repeating the same things over and over. I don’t like TWD particularily, but I don’t pronounce my hate for it over and over across all of Pinside. Simple broken record syndrome.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Not about being a fanboy. It is about repeating the same things over and over. I don’t like TWD particularily, but I don’t pronounce my hate for it over and over across all of Pinside. Simple broken record syndrome.

It's a thread about comparing two games. The guy asked for opinions between the two. I shared them. Should I post, "go reference my post in the forum about the Star Wars reveal. Don't go to the club thread, you won't find it there!"?

If everybody shared an opinion a single time and in only a single context, then we would have about 1/1000th the threads here, and few things would make much sense.

Now if someone starts a thread asking for opinions between Star Wars and The Hobbit, I'll give my reasons why I think Star Wars is a better game than the Hobbit. Different context, new framing of the opinion to the OP's question. Or should I link to this thread? I'm confused now.

And you take issue because you disagree, not because it's the "same opinion over and over across all of Pinside." If you took issue with the latter, you are probably feeling pretty down on all the positive opinions getting repeated "over and over across all of Pinside" too. Somehow I don't think that bothers you though.

This is how discussion works. It's ok to not agree. That is fine and normal. What's not fine and normal is getting uptight over a differing opinion on a game and clicking down arrows as often and as thoroughly as you can. That's really strange behavior.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's a thread about comparing two games. The guy asked for opinions between the two. I shared them. Should I post, "go reference my post in the forum about the Star Wars reveal. Don't go to the club thread, you won't find it there!"?
If everybody shared an opinion a single time and in only a single context, then we would have about 1/1000th the threads here.
Now if someone starts a thread asking for opinions between Star Wars and The Hobbit, I'll give my reasons why I think Star Wars is a better game than the Hobbit. Different context, new framing of the opinion to the OP's question. Or should I link to this thread? I'm confused now.
And you take issue because you disagree, not because it's the "same opinion over and over across all of Pinside." If you took issue with the latter, you are probably feeling pretty down on all the positive opinions getting repeated "over and over across all of Pinside" too. Somehow I don't think that bothers you though.
This is how discussion works. It's ok to not agree. That is fine and normal. What's not fine and normal is getting uptight over a differing opinion on a game and clicking down arrows as often and as thoroughly as you can. That's really strange behavior.

Opinions are fine. You are not an innocent bystander in the same thread broken record syndrome. It just hasn’t become a broken record in THIS thread. Yet.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm the furthest thing from a fanboy of stern. If I'm a fanboy of anything it would be Spooky as I just respect how they go about their business. My downvote was because you are in every thread about SW bashing it. Just like Rarehero was with GB. Guess what, people got sick of him doing it also. There comes a point were the only real purpose of it is to try to stir up drama.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

How could anything you wrote deserve a downvote let alone 5! Very well written.

Because of lines like this. It's not a big deal I just don't agree with it or think it makes sense; diff'rent strokes.

Quoted from jar155:

It doesn't make sense to put such heavily layered code on a game that never gives you a chance to make measured actions.

#57 6 years ago

Star Trek is just a better game in my opinion.

#58 6 years ago

Had both. ST Pro by far!!!

#59 6 years ago

Star Trek because it has more flippers

#60 6 years ago

My opinion comes with the following caveat: ST Pro (is in my collection) and SW Pro ( I played extensively on location). That being said I really love ST. I want to like SW but the play field layout and the way the game plays with the current code is not for me.

#61 6 years ago

I vote ST 100%. I was ready to buy SW when it was announced but I was thoroughly disappointed and still am. JJP needed to have this license in order to do it justice IMO. Just imagine what they would have done with it.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Just imagine what they would have done with it.

I can't I couldn't afford $3,000 more than my Stern SW.

#63 6 years ago

4 attempts at star wars theme, 4 failures! Hopefully one day someone will use "The force"

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

4 attempts at star wars theme, 4 failures! Hopefully one day someone will use "The force"

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I can't I couldn't afford $3,000 more than my Stern SW.

Says the guy with a Dialed In, lol....nice try.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Says the guy with a Dialed In, lol....nice try.

Nice try what? I bought them at the same time, couldn't afford 2 JJPs.
Did that really make you laugh out loud?

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice try what? I bought them at the same time, couldn't afford 2 JJPs.
Did that really make you laugh out loud?

Okay, you win, relax. Sheesh.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Okay, you win, relax. Sheesh.

Are the question marks making you think I need to relax? Well do they? Answer me?

#69 6 years ago

I have both SWLE and STLE, play them both about equally. ST does have the warp ramp adding another dimension and shot in the game with 3rd flipper. Call outs are great but are shorter than the call outs, video on SW. if ST had the current video layout, I would buy it over SW. all that being said, played a GOTG last weekend for a couple hours and really liked the music and call outs, along with the individual custom shots for each character you choose. I know you didn’t open it up for another game, but if I was to buy a new Stern it would be a Pro Guardians. Just my 2 cents.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Pincrazy:

I have both SWLE and STLE, play them both about equally. ST does have the warp ramp adding another dimension and shot in the game with 3rd flipper. Call outs are great but are shorter than the call outs, video on SW. if ST had the current video layout, I would buy it over SW. all that being said, played a GOTG last weekend for a couple hours and really liked the music and call outs, along with the individual custom shots for each character you choose. I know you didn’t open it up for another game, but if I was to buy a new Stern it would be a Pro Guardians. Just my 2 cents.

Recently played a few games of GOTG and thought it shot really well, but everyone keeps saying the code is horrible and to wait at least 6 months before considering.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Recently played a few games of GOTG and thought it shot really well, but everyone keeps saying the code is horrible and to wait at least 6 months before considering.

If you liked it as is then there's no reason not to consider it. Typically Lonnie coded games do not have huge changes so it will likely stay pretty similar to what it is.

I've own a ST pro, ST premium, and currently own a SW premium. They are all good games that shoot well and are fun to play. I prefer the unique code on SW to the pretty forced path of ST which I felt got more repetitive faster. All pinball gets repetitive though so buy what you like and when you are tired of it just sell it and get something different. I think you would enjoy either game.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

My downvote was because you are in every thread about SW bashing it.

Almost as annoying as those that are in every thread hyping it, wouldn't you agree?

IMO, jar's post was a detailed and concise opinion and not a bash at all. It's unfortunate you disagree with him but if I'm the OP, that's exactly the type of response I'd be hoping to receive. That's what this whole thread is about after all.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Almost as annoying as those that are in every thread hyping it, wouldn't you agree?
IMO, jar's post was a detailed and concise opinion and not a bash at all. It's unfortunate you disagree with him but if I'm the OP, that's exactly the type of response I'd be hoping to receive. That's what this whole thread is about after all.

I would agree 100% that both are annoying and not needed. His post was worded fine, I just laughed because he said it pains him when he's just stated it a 100 times how he thinks SW is garbage. None of these responses are particularly helpful as the OP just needs to play both games and decide what they like the best. Some people love ST, some think the mode play is boring, some are indifferent either way. Some people love SW, some people hate the code, some people continue to bash it that haven't even played it yet. None of this determines which game the OP would enjoy the most though. If they are not available to be played watch online tutorials and hope that you make the right choice or hold off buying either until you can play them. Everyone is different and will enjoy different games for different reasons. No one needs to hype or bash a game to death as both are annoying.

3 weeks later
#74 6 years ago

which 2 am I missing?

#75 6 years ago

We acquired a ST pro two weeks ago & are having a ball w/ it. Great playfield layout w/ excellent flow & a fantastic rule set. Though I have played SW out on location several times, the verdict is still out as the code is still progressing. At this point, pause till the near future (hopefully) to see how the SW code evolves. SW seems to have a lot of potential & the Steve Richie touch does give this title some validity. Though the ST code isn't perfect, it's still a great machine & overall it's just pinball pleasure at it's finest!

#76 6 years ago

I had a ST and don't like it. I just played SW a couple of games and I think it's more fun.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I had a ST and don't like it. I just played SW a couple of games and I think it's more fun.

Completely agree.
ST is fun to play on location but can be quickly boring in an home environment...all modes feel the same.
I played SWLE and it is a very good game, fast, more various. I don’t really like all the choice you have by character but fun to play. I don’t know if SW gets a good lastability at home but I know ST does not have good one (for my tastes)

#78 6 years ago

Completely agree as well. I owned ST and it was out the door fairly quickly.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Completely agree.
ST is fun to play on location but can be quickly boring in an home environment...all modes feel the same.
I played SWLE and it is a very good game, fast, more various. I don’t really like all the choice you have by character but fun to play. I don’t know if SW gets a good lastability at home but I know ST does not have good one (for my tastes)

Quoted from tbanthony:

Completely agree as well. I owned ST and it was out the door fairly quickly.

When did you guys own your ST's, before or after the last code update? I owned STLE and it was an awesome pin, one of my favorites. It was fun to build a multiplier shot then capitalize it with an away team mode. Also collecting as many medals as you can and get double scoring going with Kobayashi Maru. Klingon mb is a blast in itself cause of the lasers, sounds, call outs, and music. The warp ramp NEVER gets old, best shot in pinball. And the vengeance modes are a sweet addition.

That all said - here's the negatives for me: starting missions can be tedious and frustrating. The game does lack in the breadth department especially with how much breadth and advancement are in Steve Ritchie's follow up games, GOT & SW. Kobayashi and even getting to enterprise amok are fun and challenging, but five year mission is a grind to get to.

All in all, ST is a pretty bitchin game IMO but SW (I only have limited play on it) has a lot more going on and a lot to do. Sounds, call outs, gameplay (shot satisfaction), all go to ST...everything else SW, which is pretty much just the ruleset lol but rulesets are what make or break games in a home use environment and SW's ruleset blows ST away.

#80 6 years ago

For what it's worth, the code was complete before I sent it on it's way. I had the Pro which has very little game play difference vs. the LE. LE owners often reference the light show as being stellar. The PRO is competent in that area but the LE had more 'bling' on this game.

#81 6 years ago

For me, ST has the better PF layout and toys (the Vengeance kills the Death Star), great shots, super smooth, and it doesn't have that clumsy plunge that leads straight to a drain half the time, while SW has better rules, LCD display, and movie authentic sound... although it's easy enough to fix the ST soundtrack thanks to Pinball Browser, and ColorDMD addresses the display somewhat... honestly I feel like as a fan of both franchises you can't really go too wrong. Personally I think they're different enough that it wouldn't break my heart to have both.

#82 6 years ago

I guess the only other opinion I'll give on the SW vs. ST topic is the execution of the theme. I am both a SW and ST fan from a movies (and TV shows) standpoint. I grew up watching ST and SW was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I love both themes. If you ask me which game better represents the theme, my personal opinion is SW does a great job executing on the theme and the LCDs and rules add to the experience. I thought ST was a solid representation of the theme, but not as good and there were admittedly nit picky things that bothered me as a fan. Things like the stick figure people running on the DMD are sometimes laughably bad -- for a theme that is supposed to be high tech, I think it is worth mentioning that the DMD doesn't represent the theme well vs. the LCDs on SW. I also prefer the rule set on SW vs. ST -- I just find the SW rules more interesting, dynamic, and adrenaline inducing. From a toy standpoint, I didn't find the ST Vengeance ship on a solenoid/spring any more exiting than a tie fighter on a solenoid/spring other than it was a bigger. I'd rather have the mini LCD. These are matters of opinion; I'm just providing mine.

#83 6 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

We acquired a ST pro two weeks ago & are having a ball w/ it. Great playfield layout w/ excellent flow & a fantastic rule set. Though I have played SW out on location several times, the verdict is still out as the code is still progressing. At this point, pause till the near future (hopefully) to see how the SW code evolves. SW seems to have a lot of potential & the Steve Richie touch does give this title some validity. Though the ST code isn't perfect, it's still a great machine & overall it's just pinball pleasure at it's finest!

Agreed. We've had the Pro a couple years now and I can't see it going anywhere for at least a couple more.

And now that we've had a SW Pro for a few months I can say I really like that one too. The only staying power SW has over ST for me is I was 7 when SW came out and it will forever have a place in my heart.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

When did you guys own your ST's, before or after the last code update? I owned STLE and it was an awesome pin, one of my favorites. It was fun to build a multiplier shot then capitalize it with an away team mode. Also collecting as many medals as you can and get double scoring going with Kobayashi Maru. Klingon mb is a blast in itself cause of the lasers, sounds, call outs, and music. The warp ramp NEVER gets old, best shot in pinball. And the vengeance modes are a sweet addition.
That all said - here's the negatives for me: starting missions can be tedious and frustrating. The game does lack in the breadth department especially with how much breadth and advancement are in Steve Ritchie's follow up games, GOT & SW. Kobayashi and even getting to enterprise amok are fun and challenging, but five year mission is a grind to get to.
All in all, ST is a pretty bitchin game IMO but SW (I only have limited play on it) has a lot more going on and a lot to do. Sounds, call outs, gameplay (shot satisfaction), all go to ST...everything else SW, which is pretty much just the ruleset lol but rulesets are what make or break games in a home use environment and SW's ruleset blows ST away.

Full code.
Modes feel the same...and I need to play them 30s (or until gold medal). That was killing me and the fact this game is impossible to finish in 3 balls ( or you need to kill the timer)
Ok great layout, great warp ramp, great light show ( had premium), but modes sucks.
SW modes are way better to play imho.

#85 6 years ago

Star Wars hands down!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 21.50
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-stern-vs-sw-pro-stern/page/2?hl=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.