image.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1631_2.jpg
image.jpg
025.JPG
022.JPG
IMG_2418[1].JPG
IMG_2417[1].JPG
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#100 9 years ago

Cliffy, we need you!

#101 9 years ago

/shines Cliffy signal

#102 9 years ago

I can't remember when I first notice my alpha ramp crack near the vengeance. It could of been after I put super mini post rubbers on. Those things have a ton of bounce. If I missed the warp ramp high and hit one of those, the ball takes a good bounce towards the vengeance. I do believe that is what finally broke the corner off.

I also have super bands on the flippers. Some people have reported more air balls with those but I don't think that is the case on my machine. I do get air balls but they are only in certain situations like all pins. Still, the different rubbers do affect gameplay so might have something to do with my break.

#103 9 years ago

I just got a NIB Star Trek pro a 2 weeks ago. It's been on route 7 days and after reading this thread I checked it out and I already have a cracked warp ramp. only 7 days and less than 300 plays. Need me some protectors.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Perhaps it has to do something with the way the ramps are installed.

Yeah I could see that. Also I see in the pic the op posted he changed the little round rubber in front of the ramps to a Cliffy post. I don't know if that would make a difference?

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I just got a NIB Star Trek pro a 2 weeks ago. It's been on route 7 days and after reading this thread I checked it out and I already have a cracked warp ramp. only 7 days and less than 300 plays. Need me some protectors.

So did I. HUO, but mine seems to have pretty good protectors on both sides of every ramp. What else could you do?

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

So did I. HUO, but mine seems to have pretty good protectors on both sides of every ramp. What else could you do?

Play it less?

#108 9 years ago

They must have put out some bad ramps.....mine has literally 1000's of plays and no cracked ramps anywhere. BTW I have never adjusted the coil power on mine.....balls fly.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

Cliffy, we need you!

I agree, Cliff please get on this and assist. Thanks sir!

#110 9 years ago

Are your ramps screwed down tight or a little loose?

Rob

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Just checked and although you can select the US or Canada they don't ship outside Europe. When registered with an US address they change the country to Belgium by default.
If someone is really interested in these things I could order them and send them to the US on actual shipping cost.

I want 2 sets for my STLE.Will they work on ACDC Prem or the left Tron ramp?.I am in USA.So let me know if we can do this?.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Just checked and although you can select the US or Canada they don't ship outside Europe. When registered with an US address they change the country to Belgium by default.
If someone is really interested in these things I could order them and send them to the US on actual shipping cost.

I already have informed several U.S. People to sent Freddie just an email with your question. They will quote you accordingly and they do ship these parts outside of Europe. I assume that they standards don't do outside of Europe to not come into conflict with other distributors but these part are made by them.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yeah I could see that. Also I see in the pic the op posted he changed the little round rubber in front of the ramps to a Cliffy post. I don't know if that would make a difference?

I just slipped the cliffy post on over the original(just sitting there)after ramp breakage,i think bigger posts in front of ramps would maybe help. im going to email these german protectors next.thanks for everyones help!

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from sparkaruss:

I just slipped the cliffy post on over the original(just sitting there)after ramp breakage,i think bigger posts in front of ramps would maybe help.

Could you take a picture and post it?

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Could you take a picture and post it?

The pic is on the first page of this thread.

#116 9 years ago

I ordered 2 sets of protectors from Freddy's in Germany. Needed one set for the Alpha and one for the Beta. Shipping was cheap too (I'm in New York) I highly recommend going this route. I sent them an e-mail since navigating the site was tough (I don't speak/read German) and they were quick to respond (in English) and even accepted paypal for payment.
The only ramp not covered is the warp ramp. If Cliffy makes a protector for the warp ramp, I'm in. For now, I really don't need protection for the warp ramp because I suck and can barely hit it

*edit- 2 set Total: €44.05 EUR ($51.38 USD) incl. shipping from Freddy's in Germany to Buffalo, New York

& FREDDY's e-mail: [email protected]

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from locdb:

I ordered 2 sets of protectors from Freddy's in Germany. Needed one set for the Alpha and one for the Beta. Shipping was cheap too (I'm in New York) I highly recommend going this route. I sent them an e-mail since navigating the site was tough (I don't speak/read German) and they were quick to respond (in English) and even accepted paypal for payment.
The only ramp not covered is the warp ramp. If Cliffy makes a protector for the warp ramp, I'm in. For now, I really don't need protection for the warp ramp because I suck and can barely hit it
*edit- 2 set Total: €44.05 EUR ($51.38 USD) incl. shipping from Freddy's in Germany to Buffalo, New York
& FREDDY's e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks for the updated information.

#118 9 years ago

Freddy won't return my emails or send a paypal invoice?.

#119 9 years ago

I finally received my Star Trek Pro machine yesterday. It's my first machine. I've been installing the mods I bought, as well as my Cliffy and other protectors.
If anyone is interested in the Freddy protectors, I am willing to sell my set for $40 including priority shipping. PM me if interested. They fit underneath the factory metal protectors and beef them up (they cover the top part of the ramp as well, but it seems you have to bend the factory ones out slightly (at the ramp entrance where they wrap around) to get them to fit perfectly and I'm not comfortable doing that. I'll just keep it stock and hope everything stays fine with just the factory ones.
I'm also returning a couple of other mods that I purchased that seem to be too much of a hassle to install. Live and learn.
-Don

#120 9 years ago

Mine are in the mail from Germany!.I will let you peeps know how the install goes.

#121 9 years ago

Hey locdb......howdy neighbor.....congrats on the pin.....!!!...............Joey

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from locdb:

I finally received my Star Trek Pro machine yesterday

Right On. If you have ordered the Pinbits plastic protectors . They are a must. If so . I did have an issue one of the posts screws . After I installed the protector the wood was stripped away and the post would not tighten down. It is the plastic post to the left of the spinner. The plastic has a number on it #90 . If you have any issues cut a small piece of wooden skewer that you would barbecue with . And place it in the stripped hole and then tighten the post screw back down. That was the drama I had on my NIB Star Trek when I added the protectors .

#123 9 years ago

I had a small crack in my alpha ramp on my Star Trek pro. I emailed stern and they sent me a replacement and no cost and free shipping and it arrived in about 5 days from when I sent my serial number to the warranty center guy via email. I'm very impressed with how fast stern fixed this problem. I will wait until the ramp is completely destroyed or unusable and then replace it. By then I would imagine cliffy will have something to protect them.

#124 9 years ago

And I don't have to send my old ramp in either

#125 9 years ago

Nice!

#126 9 years ago

I here a lot pinheads like the install the Super Bands 7/16 mini round post rubber / silicone . But I am afraid that they will bounce to much and cause even more air balls . What is the consensus on them ???

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I had a small crack in my alpha ramp on my Star Trek pro. I emailed stern and they sent me a replacement and no cost and free shipping and it arrived in about 5 days from when I sent my serial number to the warranty center guy via email. I'm very impressed with how fast stern fixed this problem. I will wait until the ramp is completely destroyed or unusable and then replace it. By then I would imagine cliffy will have something to protect them.

How old is your game?

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I here a lot pinheads like the install the Super Bands 7/16 mini round post rubber / silicone . But I am afraid that they will bounce to much and cause even more air balls . What is the consensus on them ???

They do bounce a lot more but I don't think they cause air balls. Anything besides the crappy stock rubbers is a big improvement. The super mini's look great, don't get dirty, and don't get destroyed in a week like the stock ones. I have not tried the new Titan rubbers but might give them a try down the road.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

To me it feels like super band flipper rubbers actually bounce less. It's easier to catch the ball but they feel less bouncy

#130 9 years ago

My game was only about 2 weeks old so that may be a factor why they replaced it so fast. My ramp was cracked pre super bands post rubbers but I just put them on and see how that affects the game for a few weeks. Also changed the coil power to low since I noticed the crack.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Anything besides the crappy stock rubbers is a big improvement. The super mini's look great, don't get dirty, and don't get destroyed in a week like the stock ones.

I replaced all mine with the Superband mini-post rubbers and I think they are awesome. I recommend the clear ones - they look really good alongside the clear ramps and with the bright LED lighting.

I think I had about 200 games on my Star Trek when I did the switch and some of the stock rubbers already had very noticeable wear and flaking. I bet by 300-400 games some would have been completely destroyed and fallen off. I've now got about 1300 games on it and the Superbands look good as new, despite some of them taking a lot of punishment (like the ones around the Vengeance and Warp ramp). Some of them were a bit tricky to get changed out, so it's nice to only have to do it once!

I didn't notice a significant difference in play, but it was my first machine so I was still a bit new.

I use the Superband flipper rubbers as well and like them a lot. My Star Trek Pro still gets some noticeable dirt trails around the flippers fairly quickly, but I think this is from the black rubber stoppers at the end of the ramp returns, and maybe from some other things like the slingshots. I can't imagine how quickly it would get dirty with all stock rubber.

Edit: So "ST" means Starship Troopers and "Star Trek" means 1991 Data East Star Trek? How am I supposed to refer to 2013 Stern Star Trek?

#132 9 years ago

Depends on which version, STP or STLE.

#133 9 years ago

I got my spare set last week, the flaps are riveted, but there are no decals on them.

Robert

#134 9 years ago

That's a bummer. Are you going to contact Stern and see if they'll send you the decals?

1 week later
#135 8 years ago

I'm not impressed Stern!!

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from GeminiTwist:

I'm not impressed Stern!!

What happened?

1 week later
#137 8 years ago

I just noticed very small cracks in my Alpha ramp. Not a problem yet, but worrisome. This shouldn't be an issue for such a new pin.

#138 8 years ago

How easy are the Freddy's protectors to install? Considering getting some now .....

#139 8 years ago

I just ordered a set of Freddy's. Easy transaction via email and PP.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

How easy are the Freddy's protectors to install? Considering getting some now .....

Not difficult at all.

#141 8 years ago

Hope this doesn't happen to our pin. Seems to be built pretty solid.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Not difficult at all.

Thanks. Do they fit over the existing protectors, or do you replace the existing protectors? It doesn't look like you need to take the ramps off to do this, is that right?

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from Kholmes:

Hope this doesn't happen to our pin. Seems to be built pretty solid.

It took almost one year before it happened to mine. It seems like it can just happen at any time judging by the posts.

Right now, its not really noticeable and only an internal crack. I just don't want it to get worse. Still, I thought I had 5-10 years of home use enjoyment before I would have to worry about a crack in a ramp.

#144 8 years ago

Stern needs to change their ramp protectors so that they are mounted on the posts before the ramp. This way the posts get the action and the ramps a lot less.

#145 8 years ago

I agree to all who answered. I agree that the plastic could be thicker on the Sterns. Either way, they're way better than the old ramps from SS pins etc. Stern ramps are good but of course there are flaws here and there.

Overall, job security for those who fix em...lol. It's like a car, you need mechanics unless you own a Tucker built vehicle.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. Do they fit over the existing protectors, or do you replace the existing protectors? It doesn't look like you need to take the ramps off to do this, is that right?

You don't need to take the ramps off.But you need to take off the stern protectors.Then bend the stern protectors at the point were they wrap to the side of the ramp.To give the additional protector room to fit behind it.

You will take off 3 protectors to bend.The one on the far left can be left on to bend.Just take out top screw.Then bend it out while it is still screwed to the playfield.

IMG_2411[1].JPGIMG_2411[1].JPG IMG_2412[1].JPGIMG_2412[1].JPG IMG_2413[1].JPGIMG_2413[1].JPG IMG_2414[1].JPGIMG_2414[1].JPG IMG_2414[1]-190.JPGIMG_2414[1]-190.JPG IMG_2416[1].JPGIMG_2416[1].JPG IMG_2417[1].JPGIMG_2417[1].JPG IMG_2418[1].JPGIMG_2418[1].JPG
#147 8 years ago

Double post edit

#148 8 years ago

Really they should just make ramps out of metal again. You don't here people talking about their Metallica ramps breaking. But, I know, its a cost thing.

#149 8 years ago

^Metal ramps on all LE's and Prem's!.Or if they offer metal ramps on all the games as a paid upgrade.What would be the percentage of buyers ordering that option?.80,90,100%.

I would have it on all my games!.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-ramps-breaking/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.