image.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg
IMG_1631_2.jpg
image.jpg
025.JPG
022.JPG
IMG_2418[1].JPG
IMG_2417[1].JPG
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

my star trek ramps are breaking! worst one is left side which has a large crack under the metal protector and the other to ramps have fractures.i can buy the 3 ramps new here in Australia for around $600 aud,however im worried it will only happen again with another 13 months use!. am I the only one this is happening to? is there any extra protection available? I recently sold a 2 owner star trek 25th anniversary,i know the first owner,the ramps were perfect,never replaced from new,lasted 25 odd years,6 years commercially operated.surely a stern ramp should last longer ? thanks!

#2 9 years ago

025.JPG025.JPG022.JPG022.JPG

#3 9 years ago

well that sucks.... I'm getting mine in a few days....hope this is not the norm.

#4 9 years ago

Ours has been on location for about a year now and no problems. But Stern ramps are very thin now and not surprised they break.

#5 9 years ago

how many games played on this machine?
that sucks, Im going to check my ramps on stle when I get home...

#6 9 years ago

That stinks, but I have always thought all the new games that are coming out of the Stern Factory are pretty cheaply made, especially the Pros.. But this only confirms it even more to me, as this should not be happening with any modern games as plastics are far better and can be made much thicker then they use to be. Just look at the ramps you get from Starship.

#7 9 years ago

whoops that large crack is on the right hand side ramp!that crack only happened a couple of weeks ago. its had around 2500 games,it was on location before I bought it. I was just putting my feelers out to see if this is a common problem,if not I will just buy the ramps and be happy again.i really love this game and it gets lots of use!

#8 9 years ago

The corner of the warp ramp near the vengeance broke on mine. It looks like there are small cracks on the other side. I've had it for 4 months and played it a lot like 600 games. I would be curious how much a new ramp is.

#9 9 years ago

My Alpha ramp lost a chunk on the Vengeance side. Opposite side has a small crack in it.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Phantom1911:

My Alpha ramp lost a chunk on the Vengeance side. Opposite side has a small crack in it.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I've had 2 ramps crack the exact same on my LE. Same goes for a buddy of mine who also owns an LE.

#11 9 years ago

I can't believe these ramps are breaking already! I was considering buying this game, but now I'm not sure.

#12 9 years ago
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I can't believe these ramps are breaking already! I was considering buying this game, but now I'm not sure.

Mine is not a big deal. You wouldn't know it was broken unless I showed you on mine. The chunk that broke off the corner close to the vengeance is a clean break and actually looks naturally rounded. I have no regrets buying mine. It's a great game and the best Stern IMO. I guess time will tell if it becomes a bigger problem but I wouldn't let that one thing stop you from getting it.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Phantom1911:

Same here.

#15 9 years ago

more than 1000 games on my STLE

good : warp ramp
IMG_1630.jpgIMG_1630.jpg

good : beta ramp
IMG_1631_2.jpgIMG_1631_2.jpg

bad : alpha ramp

anyway, not a big deal as i didn't notice it before this post !
when looking at other cracks, it appears to be a little bit more disturbing though

#16 9 years ago

If its not broke
It aint pinball!

#17 9 years ago

I would be tempted to call this a potential design flaw, either in the construction of the ramp or the protectors. But I'm not an engineer, so I could be wrong.

#18 9 years ago
#19 9 years ago

I would put washers on top and underneath the ramp to take some of the load off.

#20 9 years ago

Just curious. The people that are seeing cracked plastic ramps here, are you using normal pulse power on your machine's?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

If its not broke
It aint pinball!

Actually, it aint a Stern!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

Just curious. The people that are seeing cracked plastic ramps here, are you using normal pulse power on your machine's?

Mine are at default

#23 9 years ago

I see broken plastics to the right of the black hole target.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 9 years ago

Looks like we need Cliffys for ST.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Mine is not a big deal. You wouldn't know it was broken unless I showed you on mine. The chunk that broke off the corner close to the vengeance is a clean break and actually looks naturally rounded. I have no regrets buying mine. It's a great game and the best Stern IMO. I guess time will tell if it becomes a bigger problem but I wouldn't let that one thing stop you from getting it.

That really isn't the point. Sure it might not be a bit deal, as far as it doesn't affect game play, but this shouldn't be happening period. The days of thin ramps should be in the past. Stern should be providing a quality product that we should have to worry about having to replace ramps, if we don't want a cracked one, 600 games into a machines life. That is just ridiculous!!

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

Ours has been on location for about a year now and no problems. But Stern ramps are very thin now and not surprised they break.

That BS especially with Stern raising prices over the years. It's one thing to raise prices due to inflation but it's wrong to raise prices and then not maintain the same level of quality. Making ramps thinner, redoing the head lock mech, not having a traditional lock down bar mech on the pro and putting pegs in the pro are changes that should never have been considering today's NIB prices.

#27 9 years ago
#28 9 years ago

Ramp protectors are available, made in germany. Not for warp ramp however

You can see them in this video around 1:30

#29 9 years ago

Are replacement ramps actually available to purchase?

Robert

#30 9 years ago

Talley up another broken alpha ramp on my LE. I'm with jawjaw though, in that it's such a clean break it looks natural and wouldn't notice unless pointed out.

#31 9 years ago

$600 Australian dollars sounds like a lot of money for replacement ramps. I can understand having to pay if the machine is out of warranty. But, given how often these are breaking, I would think Stern should sell them at cost. $600 sounds like a nice profit to me, but I could be wrong.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Looks like we need Cliffys for ST.

I'll send him a message with link to thread see if he can help.

Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Are replacement ramps actually available to purchase?
Robert

You have to go through your distributor or Stern directly most likely.

#33 9 years ago

Three ramps for US $460.00 in Australia which covers duty and shipping seems fair. IMO of course.

#34 9 years ago

A 4'x4' sheet of PETG is about $100 bucks. Heating and vacuum forming ramps takes roughly 20 minutes. include casts and molds + labour time + machine usage time and you have your cost. These things don't cost more than $100 per set to make. So someone is making a killing.

#35 9 years ago

Replacement ramps are EXPENSIVE. I bought a spare set of ramps and playfield plastics (maybe decals too) and it was over $800.

#36 9 years ago

On the LE . Lots of air balls from the drop target . Also turn down the sling shot power. I added pinbits plastic protectors . I do see it on the Pinbits photo . But call Pam a ask that she includes the Vengeance protector that will go under the Vengeance ship and will protrude over the drop target for the LE model . Never messed with them on any of my pinball machines . But STLE needs them .

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'll send him a message with link to thread see if he can help.

Thank you for sending Cliff this thread !!

#37 9 years ago

$800 for plastic ramps!? You got to be kidding me. How much for the wireforms versions - $2000!?

Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

That really isn't the point. Sure it might not be a bit deal, as far as it doesn't affect game play, but this shouldn't be happening period. The days of thin ramps should be in the past. Stern should be providing a quality product that we should have to worry about having to replace ramps, if we don't want a cracked one, 600 games into a machines life. That is just ridiculous!!

I know it should not happen but every game seems to have some flaws and plastics are always at risk of breakage. I had a few issues out of the box. A target switch was stuck and an led wasn't working. Shouldn't happen but it only took a little adjustment. I have had a few other minor issues and that just seems to be pinball. I bought a cliffy protector and sling protectors to help prevent damage to those areas. It would be nice if Stern built games with these things but they don't. I'm not sure Stern what Stern should do in this case but I agree it's a concern and something Stern should look into. At the very least they should sell better protectors and start putting them on new machines they sell.

#38 9 years ago

Service part prices to end users are about 2.5x the price an OEM pays. This is certainly true in the automotive sector. Heck, in the heavy truck market; list prices are now up to 5.3x the cost. List is used to reference warranty coverage as fleets are usually reimbursed 50% of list price for components. Plus shop labor rates of course.

#39 9 years ago

Oh man, yikes. I've put ST on the radar and we shall see.

Soapbox: While it may seem careless on Sterns part we have to keep in mind they originally built games for the coin-op market, not for long term home use. Function over form. If ramps cracked it didnt matter as long as they were playable for a year or so. They have obviously now realized the home collector market and are making strides towards different engineering to suit that. Equally as obvious they still have a ways to go and things to learn. I'm not giving them a pass. I'm merely addressing expectations

#40 9 years ago

I don't mind Stern making a decent profit if someone just wants an extra set of ramps to have on hand, but if the ramps crack in the first year or two of use, and the owner provides Stern with proof, Stern should just sell them at cost.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Talley up another broken alpha ramp on my LE. I'm with jawjaw though, in that it's such a clean break it looks natural and wouldn't notice unless pointed out.

If you look at the right ramp on TWD the lip of it is molded so it's way back. Maybe people could dremel that lip like that, like your clean break. It might help.

#42 9 years ago

Hawkmoon,says,yeah,i think thats too much money for those parts! get with a pinsider to send you those from the us of a! about half that price,try bayareaamusements.com,or the standby,marco specialties peace,Hawkmoon

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

$600 sounds like a nice profit to me, but I could be wrong.

Just look at what Freeplay40 is selling his ramps for....and his are better too.

#44 9 years ago

2800 games on my pro and the ramps are perfect.

But... from NIB
Coil pulse turned to soft. Slingshot strength set at 15.
Superband mini post rubbers, superband flipper rubbers.
Also retightened all playfield screws every 500 games. Plactics, ramps etc.
Stuff loosens and then it breaks with ball a hit.
And any playfield dirt cleaned up weekly.

And the S@#% Stern pinballs thrown away from day one, and new silverjets installed every 1000 games.

Ive never had any issues.
And my game still looks like the day I opened the box.

#45 9 years ago

Man that sucks pins are a small fortune in your country too. It should still be under warrantee. Did you send pics to Stern or your distributor and ask for a replacement? Stern is pretty good with replacing parts, even after warrantee period has ended. They have been good to me at least for replacement parts.

#46 9 years ago

Why do o have a feeling they won't be good to me?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

In your case you are not the original buyer so I don't think the warrantee extends to you............ Oh wait, the wheresthecode stuff, I just got that, hahahahaha, good one

#48 9 years ago

Standing up for what is right always has a price I guess.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Lol. No ramps for you!!!

I looked in my manual and didn't see where non eletronic parts would be covered for very long from new. Anyone have experience with a warranty?

#50 9 years ago

No broken ramps here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-ramps-breaking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.