• Latest reply 6 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

INBOX312471969d73329439da33e2c12e083593ca9[1]_(resized).jpg
moo_(resized).jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Taking price and game play into consideration is it worth it to upgrade to the premium on ST. Does not seem to be that many major differences in game play. For approx. 1500 to 1700 more do you guys think its worth it.

I personally like the looks of blue cab on the pro better.

What do you guys think as I wanna purchase one on the next run.

Also which do you guys like better ST pro / premium or TWD premium

Thanks Allen

#2 8 years ago

ST Prem is gorgeous to look at. With that said.. I think the pro give you a better bang for your buck. If you like light shows however go with the Prem.

#3 8 years ago

Call me crazy - I actually prefer the Star Trek Pro lighting

#4 8 years ago

I like the Vengance ship that crashes, like the laser and lighted apron. I really love the color changing inserts. The lighted warp ramp is nice but not that noticeable. I like the mode start up kicker. I don't really care about the out lane kickback.

Premium also has PF supports

Overall I think the premium is nicer but the pro is still ok not missing a lot in the actual game mostly bling.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Call me crazy - I actually prefer the Star Trek Pro lighting

You're crazy.

#6 8 years ago

Go Premium. Get you the black-out mod and an upgraded laser, and enjoy the show!

Oh, and get a shaker too!

#7 8 years ago

I purchased a pro, and within 1 hour of setting up, I folded it up knowing that I wanted a premium or LE instead. You get those awesome RGB leds on every insert, which does look incredible. For me though, it was all about that far left shot that starts missions. In the pro, its just a saucer that dribbles the ball back out with unreliable returns. In the premium/LE, it is a VUK that goes into the left habit trail that safely returns the ball to the left flipper every time. That shot is so crucial to good gameplay, I hated the unreliable, let the ball trickle back out into the slingshots mechanism. Sold the pro, grabbed the premium and never looked back. Just my opinion.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Go Premium. Get you the black-out mod and an upgraded laser, and enjoy the show!

What is the black out mod?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

What is the black out mod?

During the Klingon battle, when the laser is on. This mod will turn off the GI making the PF mostly dark.

At this time it may be sold out.

Here's the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-le-laser-blackout-mod

#10 8 years ago

Is it really worth 1500/1700 more...... As for the rgb lighting there doing that now for MET so I'm sure there will be others

Seems like most agree no gameplay difference

#11 8 years ago

I have a premium and love it. I played the pro first and really liked it as well. I do feel with the additional things on a premium it is worth the $$$. But, its only pinball and if you have the case go premium or le, if not pro all the way.

#12 8 years ago

Not really a lot of difference to gameplay, but a lot of bling if you want it.

On Tron just to add Eli ramp lights and Arcade mod that's $600 (iirc).

PF supports are $50

Laser beam can't really add that to a pro but if you could it'd be $100+

Warp ramp light bling it'd probably be $80+

Color changing apron is also cool, I'm not sure if this is on the premium, I have the LE

Color changing inserts are awesome but just bling, probably will never be a mod, but as a Color DMD costs $400 for bling, I'd say the full color changing inserts are worth about that if I was looking at Eli ramp light kit for Tron as an example.

Crashing Vengeance it's totally cool also.

No one will say the gameplay difference is worth $$$$ but most people like bling, if you don't care about that than get the pro.

Also Met color changing light mod is for just GI not inserts right and doesn't that cost $300 plus hours of installation.

#13 8 years ago

With ACDC and TWD I feel there is too much difference not to go with the premium. ST not so sure and for me MET no

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Is it really worth 1500/1700 more...... As for the rgb lighting there doing that now for MET so I'm sure there will be others

It isn't to me. I really like the game and I have played all 3 versions and I think the Pro is the best bang for the buck. The game plays almost exactly the same. I personally could not justify spending $1500+ for lights. For what it's worth I don't own and have never owned a ST so I have no horse in this race either way.

#15 8 years ago

Cosmo just listed a nice ST LE up on here for sale if you were considering a Prem.

#16 8 years ago

Forget pro and premium and go with the LE.
It's a Star Trek fanactics dream come true.
The lighted ship on the side rails with the red lights shooting across is mesmerizing.

#17 8 years ago

For me, I found the color changing leds on the playfield too bright on the le/prem models.

#18 8 years ago

I do like the game a lot. It will be taking up the void from missing SM. Lot of great mods out there to make the pro look outstanding.

Not opposed to buying a premium but for the cash difference the scales seem to tip that not to justify the 35% increase in price

#19 8 years ago

Sunglasses help.

#20 8 years ago

Premium has lighted apron too. Everything under the glass is the same on Premium and LE.

Well, except the signatures!

#21 8 years ago

Lots of threads on this. Only real difference is the light show and gameplay is pretty much identical. Some people think it is worth it, some don't. I'm never looking to spend more on a pin. ST pro is plenty good enough for me and expensive enough.

#22 8 years ago

I own a pro...have played the premium/LE. The LE is a gorgeous game...loaded with cool bling features...but the games shoot the same. The pro is plenty fun.

#23 8 years ago

I do love the Le by leaps and bound. Just don't want to tie up another 8k. Love the blue on the pro and think I would power coat blue like the LE

Great input from everyone

#24 8 years ago

From reading your posts you are leaning pro. Go for it. The extra cash can buy you tons of mods, another cheap game, and/or beer.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Taking price and game play into consideration is it worth it to upgrade to the premium on ST. Does not seem to be that many major differences in game play. For approx. 1500 to 1700 more do you guys think its worth it.

No.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I think it depends on how big of a Star Trek fan you are.
I had to go with the LE.

#27 8 years ago

3 pros with some mods (let's say $5100-$5300 each) cost as much as 2 of premium/LE pins with some mods, whatever you think both have their pros and cons.

$16,000 (ish).

I can argue both sides of the equation, but to me 3 pros are usually better than 2 LEs.

I'd still *rather* have the LEs and premium..

Let's not forget, even with an LE or premium you're not done spending as there are always mods.

I'll leave out my early pins PotC and Tspp.

My pro type pins
-IM
-Tron
-Met

My premium/LE pins
-XMLE
-STLE
-AcDc premium

Of the three premium/LE pins clearly ST is most similar to the pro.

#28 8 years ago

Not to OP but as a general question.

What's better?

STLE + TWD LE

or

ST pro + TWD pro + Met pro

Some people will spend whatever and get three LEs but there's no shame in getting pros across the board.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not to OP but as a general question.
What's better?
STLE + TWD LE
or
ST pro + TWD pro + Met pro

Depends on how much you like a certain title.
STLE and Tron LE are my favorite LE's that i'm willing to spend the extra cash on. All others I can settle for a premium or pro and still be happy.

#30 8 years ago

Am I the only one here that thinks that left VUK makes the game shoot significantly different? Maybe the pro I had wasn't setup correctly, but every time I went into that left saucer, the ball would just dribble back out and into the slings every time, forcing me to fight to save the ball to keep it alive. For a game that requires me to hit that shot 18 times to get the wizard mode, having to try and save the ball from the slings every time made it play quite differently for me.

Other than the left VUK, I do agree with everyone else here stating that the only other major differences are the bling and that the rest of the gameplay is quite similar across all the models.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

Am I the only one here that thinks that left VUK makes the game shoot significantly different? Maybe the pro I had wasn't setup correctly, but every time I went into that left saucer, the ball would just dribble back out and into the slings every time, forcing me to fight to save the ball to keep it alive. For a game that requires me to hit that shot 18 times to get the wizard mode, having to try and save the ball from the slings every time made it play quite differently for me.
Other than the left VUK, I do agree with everyone else here stating that the only other major differences are the bling and that the rest of the gameplay is quite similar across all the models.

Sounds like a problem with your game.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Sounds like a problem with your game.

That is definitely possible. I have only played one other pro, and it was on location, but it would do exactly the same thing. For you pro owners, what happens to the ball after the saucer kicks it out? Does it land near the slings or return comfortably to the flippers with no effort on your part consistently every time?

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

For me though, it was all about that far left shot that starts missions. In the pro, its just a saucer that dribbles the ball back out with unreliable returns. In the premium/LE, it is a VUK that goes into the left habit trail that safely returns the ball to the left flipper every time.

With a couple super easy tweaks, my pro kicks the ball out to my left flipper *every single time*.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

With a couple super easy tweaks, my pro kicks the ball out to my left flipper *every single time*.

Awesome. With that being the case, then I agree with everyone else here that the pro shoots very similar to the other models, most of the differences are just cosmetic.

#35 8 years ago

I usually only go premium. Had ST premium. Sold it. Now have pro. Couldn't be happier. It is the one pro that stands proudly among all my premiums. Game play is identical and the left scoop complaints, whilst I'm sure do exist for those who complain, although I have never seen or experienced it, are an easy tweak to fix.

#36 8 years ago

Probably I should not have muddied the water with the LE discussion since we're only talking about the difference between the pro and premium.

But on my example we could buy 4x pro for the cost of 3x premium.

This is one big reason why I'm hesitating at buying TH which is close to $9000 put it near double the cost of a pro.

I have to say by and large I'm impressed with Sten pros as I have Met and IM and Tron all solid pins. Great bang for your buck, just wish Stern would put PF supports to all their pins, this is simply embarrassing to have to install those on all the pros.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

In the pro, its just a saucer that dribbles the ball back out with unreliable returns. In the premium/LE, it is a VUK that goes into the left habit trail that safely returns the ball to the left flipper every time.

This makes the game more challenging which can be considered a good thing by some.

Quoted from markmon:

My pro came with a strip of fabric on the left side of the saucer lane effectively directing the ball to the right of the left sling... but I took it out. Seemed wrong to have it there. I've since learned to nudge the game.

Generally speaking, the Pro plays the same and is good value for the gameplay.

#38 8 years ago
#39 8 years ago

I have the premium and like it. The question of value is going to be a personal one.

For me, I really like the multicolor leds and the action of the VUK. I'll admit it slows the game down slightly from the pro. But I can live with that. Playing pros out on location give me an opportunity to feel thankful for what I have at home.

#40 8 years ago

I can only speak from my own perspective on it, and I would not (and did not) purchase a Premium over a Pro machine because there just isn't enough there. I also didn't care for the Premium cabinet and artwork and all that red trim and legs just looks out of place IMO. I did purchase the LE and love it, for me the LE was worth the cost difference over the Pro and I knew I would have been dissatisfied with any other version.

#41 8 years ago

ST Pro is the example of what a Pro should be compared to prem/LE models, that the market will feel is reasonable. Plastic ramps instead of wireform, less complicated main toy, less lights, virtual kickback vs real, latch lockdown, SAME gameplay, SAME rules. Everybody happy. ST is the best Pro.

#42 8 years ago

Had both pro all the way actually plays better then the premium le version

#43 8 years ago

Point is almost mute. I've been on the hunt for a HUO premium locally (especially of I can find one with the alt translite, but they should be called "unobtanium". Never see one for sale, except occasionally for crazy money to pry it from an ambivalent seller. Hard to justify buying a used premium (if you can find one), when you can still get NIB pro shipped to your door for < $5,000. I'm holding out on the hope/hunch that stern announces another run of the premiums after the pro run is complete in the next month or two

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

+1

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Point is almost mute.

I believe the word you're looking for is moot

moo_(resized).jpgmoo_(resized).jpg

#46 8 years ago

Several folks with pro models have played my premium and wished they'd have went premium. Just go premium on this one.

I actually wish I'd had gone LE.

#47 8 years ago

Im one that usually wont spend extra on a pin but man the premium/le lightshow and extra lighting features are really really awesome . The rgb inserts are also amazing but I really love great lightshows which is why I love the star trek premium and want one.

#48 8 years ago

I am a value guy. I bucked up above and beyond for an ACDC Premium and settled saved a few bucks with a ST Pro instead of the Premium. I already owned HS2, but let's say that the $1800 saved on the Pro instead of Premium ST got me that one. Game play is very similar. The premium has more bling and lighting though. I would save the money and get a Pro.

#49 8 years ago

It's Star Trek - of course it's worth it! If you care about being totally immersed in the game, go for the Premium (and the complete lighting as well as the other full features).

Add quality mods such as:

• Aurich translite, decals, & instruction cards
• Shaker motor
• Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer
• Pinnovators PinPAC2 MAC audio control panel
• Rock Custom Pinball interactive undercab lighting
• Speaker Light Kits speaker lights and acrylics
• BriteButtons illuminated LED flipper buttons
• Pinball Refinery pinblade artwork & UV lighting
• Pinball Refinery nebula lighting
• Kapsreiter (Pinside) blackout mod
• Zittware pop bumper caps
• Beatmaster (Pinside) Vengeance interactive mod
• Mezel Mods Vengeance explosion
• Mezel Mods Vengeance drop target
• Mezel Mods warp ramp insignia light diffuser
• Mezel Mods dome flasher covers set
• Pinbits plastics protectors & blue inlane shields
• Mattel Klingon Bird of Prey ship w/ Zittware lighting kit
• Hooked On Pinball Vengeance visor mod
• Zittware Vengeance nacelle mod
• Sparky Pinball micro display mod (MDM)
• Target decals
• Super-Bands flipper rubbers
• Super-Bands mini post rubbers
• Titan silicone rings
• Cliffy shooter eject protector
• Cliffy shooter lane protector
• VUK opening protector
• Alpha & Beta ramp protectors
• Pinball Life premium ultra-gloss pinballs
• PinGulp beverage holder

And then enjoy - life is short and playing ST should be a full meal deal pinball experience!

#50 8 years ago

Happy with the Pro, but I'm a Pro kind of guy. It seems stupid to spend 5 grand on one of these let alone 7.

One of the big differences between prior Premium and LE games was the color changing inserts. Star Trek has them for the main shots which is kind of nice. I swapped out a few of the white LED's with colors and was lucky enough to get the alternate art in time. The game is simply stunning to look at.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-or-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.