Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Eskaybee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Star Trek Pro, has been pretty solid for me in the 6 months I've owned it. On the latest code (1.62?)

Recently, however, the sensors on the alpha and beta ramps don't seem to be triggering (I'll shoot the lit shot, but it doesn't award anything).

100% of the time when I open it up and go into switch test (3 times now in the last few days), the switches all work as expected. Then when I button it back up and play, everything works fine for a while.

I've seen other threads about opto boards being bad... but in that case the switch test shows the problem, I think, no?

I'm a bit mystified on how to diagnose!

#2 5 years ago

I'd follow the opto wires to the board they plug onto. Reseat them a couple times.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd follow the opto wires to the board they plug onto. Reseat them a couple times.
LTG : )

Thanks, LTG. I did try that last night. It looked like the Alpha and Beta ramps went to different opto boards, so it seems unlikely that both would be failing at the same time. Also, the LEDs have always been lighted up; they do seem to be connected ok.

I'm wondering if I have some weird power issue. Gremlins.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
5 months later
#4 5 years ago

any resolution to the star trek opto boards? I noticed on mine that all the playfield optos are hyper active and the warp ramp always scores randomly. In test switch mode all the PF optos were 'buzzing'

#5 5 years ago

Check if optos are loose or triggered by vibrations. I remember having a few opto issues when I owned ST pro. Replacing optos took care of issues for me.

#6 5 years ago

I had this issue once when i had STLE. Reseating the pin connectors on the opto board under the play field fixed the issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-opto-weirdness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.