(Topic ID: 80339)

Star Trek Pro NIB or Tron Pro NIB for significantly more money?

By Starbuck77

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screenshot20130207at910.png
IMG_8027.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I have a choice I need to make. I plan to buy either a Star Trek pro NIB or a Tron pro NIB. I know talk about prices for pins seem to be taboo out here so all I will say is the tron NIB is well over 1k more than the NIB ST without getting into exact pricing.

I love both games, but I'm not sure if I can justify the premium people are asking for the Tron pro NIB's that are still out there. And no, I can't swing both right now. Part of me thinks I should get the Tron now, with the assumption that ST will be in production for another year or so, which will give me enough time to save up for it later, or something new/unknown...

Help me decide....

#2 10 years ago

Personal preference, I'd go with ST.

#3 10 years ago

I have both and like them very much. Get the Star Trek Pro, no question.

#4 10 years ago

No point in paying the markup just cause someone's still got a NIB Tron.
Get the StarTrek. By the time you have more cash saved up, there may be something else you want more.

#5 10 years ago

Another recommendation for ST.

#6 10 years ago

While I don't think the movie / show has to be as good as the pin (Addams Family for example) in this case, I would go Star Trek all day long.
I couldn't say how many people saw, no less liked Tron the movie (either version). I also think as far as resale value, Trek holds up.
The one and single thing I like about Tron is that little arcade cabinet mod you can add. Otherwise, even the color of the playfield is so so. That's my 2 cents. I am sure tons of you disagree.
Star Trek is so colorful and bright. Great quotes from the movie and still being updated.
Now, you may love Tron, and if that's the way your leaning, then go with the Tron. If you get Trek, you will be wishing you went with your favorite game.

#7 10 years ago

Another ST Pro vote...Tron is a great game also, but save the cash

#8 10 years ago

I own a TRON Pro and have played an STLE (and have one coming soon).

Can't go wrong with either license. In terms of gameplay, I find TRON much more challenging than ST. Most of my games on TRON are very short, and ST fairly long (even though I've played TRON 100x more). I think TRON is a brutal game, whereas ST is much easier to shoot and keep the ball in play.

I also think TRON looks like poop without the Arcade and Light Cycle mods (another $300-$400 for both).

#9 10 years ago

Tron does look fantastic when modded out...but there goes another $1K

#10 10 years ago

I would go Tron because they are almost all gone. ST will be available for some time to come, still on production line. New Tron movie is coming out and the franchise will get even better. Captive_Ball is absolutely correct. Plan on spending at least $1000 in mods for Tron. I also would recommend a ST but I would go with the Premium or LE and not the pro. So price wise, they are comparable.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Tron does look fantastic when modded out...but there goes another $1K

Agreed. I did the EL wire mod inspired by a markmon post and I'm really happy with it (cost ~$100). The pinbits/eli mod looks great, but it's another $300 and I don't have the motivation to fiddle with the ramps again. Really like the blue/orange look…not sure if I'd like the lights changing/blinking all the time (tough most Pinsiders love it I guess).

IMG_8027.jpgIMG_8027.jpg
#12 10 years ago

Buy a used modded Tron for the same price as a NIB Star Trek.

#13 10 years ago

For NIB go Star Trek Pro. A NIB Tron will cost $1000 more and that's not including mods. Even if you aren't big on Tron mods LED's are still a great upgrade; Star Trek already has LED's.

#14 10 years ago

Buy the game you want most. Try to convince yourself it doesn't need to be NIB. No reason at all, unless price is not limit. In that case, you likely wouldn't have started a thread about price.

#15 10 years ago

I have a STLE and Tron Pro. I would think the ST all the way. I like the gameplay on the ST better than Tron hands down (and my understanding is that the ST Pro plays pretty darn similar to the LE)

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Buy a used modded Tron for the same price as a NIB Star Trek.

Where the hell are you going to find a modded out Tron for 4800?

#17 10 years ago

I've seen modded out HUO Tron's online for about $5-6K. I definitely love ST but I would never get the Pro. Only LE.

Tron is much more challenging and I never get the same rush out of any other game than I do when playing Sea of Simulation. Plus, Quorra and Gem as a translite is much sexier than having dudes up there.

screenshot20130207at910.pngscreenshot20130207at910.png
#18 10 years ago
Quoted from kbowmandc:

Plus, Quorra and Gem as a translite is much sexier than having dudes up there.

You're never going to see me try and do an alt translite for Tron, I don't want to have to compete with that!

I'd get Star Trek if you really want NIB. Tron simply isn't worth the inflated NIB price. And that's before the 'must have' mods which you'll get sucked into for another $1k if you're not careful.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from kbowmandc:

I've seen modded out HUO Tron's online for about $5-6K. I definitely love ST but I would never get the Pro. Only LE.
Tron is much more challenging and I never get the same rush out of any other game than I do when playing Sea of Simulation. Plus, Quorra and Gem as a translite is much sexier than having dudes up there.

screenshot20130207at910.png 1.0 MB

The main bummer about my Tron is that upon unboxing it we noticed a little tube in there. Low and behold it was an extra translight...the big Tron head. My wife (because, well you know why) and my two sons (because Tron is 'cooler') immediately had me switch it over. So, I've got my chicks translight in a tube and I get to look at a big head.

GEM and Quorra will have to wait. A couple more years and I think the boys will appreciate that translight a little more, lol.

#20 10 years ago

ST kinda makes tron look old and clunky

#21 10 years ago

Tron by a mile. They look kind of meh right out of the box but when modded out its one of sterns best and one of the best looking games ever.

Tron has a proven track record.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from EvanBingham:

ST kinda makes tron look old and clunky

I can see someone saying TRON looks cheap without modding it, however "old and clunky"? Can you be more specific?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-nib-or-tron-pro-nib-for-significantly-more-money and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.