Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone, hoping someone can shed some troubleshooting light on a few problems I'm having with my Star Trek Pro machine:

* The middle target (the one used for vengeance battle modes, ball lock, extra ball, etc.) is frequently unresponsive, and does not always work when hit. Quite often the machine does not respond when the extra ball or ball lock is hit, it just goes in and out without doing anything. I'm guessing it has something to do with the drop target/sensor not doing it's job??

* The left flipper button occasionally sticks/gets jammed. After hitting it hard, it usually unsticks/unjams and goes back to normal. Any troubleshooting advice on stopping this problem from happening again? It does NOT seem like WD40 will help.

Thanks, please feel free to ask any questions if you need more details!
Scott G

#2 8 years ago

Not sure I can help but the first issue sounds like the opto sensors are not working. There are two of them under the vengeance. Put the game in switch test mode and see if they respond. If one is loose or not aimed correctly to the receiver, it will not work.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you very much for the response - I'll give it a go.

#4 8 years ago

The first issue happened to me. Try removing and reconnecting the connectors to the opto board under the play field. That worked for me.

#5 8 years ago

Whatever you do.....don't put wd40 in a pinball machine

#6 8 years ago

I'm about to try remove and reconnect the connectors to the opto board, but I have one problem, what exactly does it look like? I'm no electrical engineer by any means!

Thanks!

#7 8 years ago

You need to trace the wires to the board which is mounted under the play field in the general area of the Vengeance. I would take a picture but I am on the road. There are two two-pin connectors to remove and reseat.

#8 8 years ago

With regards to the sticky button, it sounds to me that it just may be some normal wear and tear on the plastic inside the button housing and it's starting to catch. I've had a bunch of brand new buttons that were sticky that I had to deal with that I addressed in the following post link. I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to be something similar to that. It's not going to be a lube thing and like flash says, stay away from WD-40.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sticky-led-flipper-buttons

#9 8 years ago

Nokoro, I hate to ask, but is there any way you might be able to provide that picture you were talking about at any time convenient for you? That would be quite helpful and frankly, amazing, of you! Thanks for your help either way!

#10 8 years ago

Sure thing. I'm still on the road. Will be back at the end of the week. Send me a message if I forget, and I'll snap a photo and post.

#11 8 years ago

Here are the pictures. The opto board is the green board to the left of the Vengeance magnet in the pictures (one of my pictures is a close up). First, you should put the machine in diagnostic mode and run switch test. Break the beam of the opto switches under the Vengeance to see which one (or both) is not registering (there are two switches). Then, lift the playfield and trace the wires from that switch to this opto board. Remove the two 2-pin white connectors for that switch and then plug them back in. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Let us know.

IMG_0407.JPGIMG_0407.JPGIMG_0408.JPGIMG_0408.JPG

#12 8 years ago

Nokoro, thank you very much for your help! I unplugged and plugged back in, here is what I now know, hoping you or someone else can provide insight:

1) the left-side opto sensor (the one closest to the drop target) is not putting out light
2) I performed the switch test and it says that the opto sensor(s) are working - however, like I mentioned before, this problem only happens sometimes, not ALL of the time..... Just to make SURE, when doing the switch test, only 1 light should go off when testing the opto sensors, right?
3) I gave the machine a couple of test runs and it seems to be working fine - although I will find out for sure during the next pinball session I have. Even though it appears to be working, I am still a little worried that one of the lights isn't on??

Assuming the problem is not fixed, and it does recur...Any further problem solving suggestions? I'm guessing that I will need to buy a new opto sensor for the one with the light that's out?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Sgolembiewski:

only 1 light should go off when testing the opto sensors, right?

No lights should go off. The opto lights are permanently on and work by the beam breaking. When testing, break the beam and the square indicator on the visible matrix displayed on the DMD that represents that switch will come on.

Beam not broken..
image.jpgimage.jpg
Beam broken..
image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago

What time bandit said. Make sure for both opto switches, the dot changes to a square in the switch test matrix.

#15 8 years ago

I would also try cleaning the opto sensors with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. It worked for me when I was having a similar opto switch problem. I wasn't sure which one was causing it. I think it might have been the alpha ramp, but I ended up cleaning all of them and it fixed the problem I was having. Being that yours is intermittent, a dirty opto sensor could be a sign. Can't hurt to try.

3 weeks later
#16 8 years ago

Thank you all for your help, problem not officially solved but I think I'm close! Just so busy at work that I'm now getting back to fixing this.

#17 8 years ago

So here is what I've come up with officially:

The left opto sensor is not working, even after disconnect and reconnect. However, the switch test does register the beam being broke. The problem with that particular shot not registering still happens periodically.

If I want the machine to work 100% of the time, then does it sound like I need a new opto sensor? If so, does anyone know a good place to buy one/if a VERY AMATEUR pinball repairman like me could replace/fix it?

Thanks,
Scott G

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-middle-targetlock-and-flipper-button and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.