(Topic ID: 190635)

Star Trek Pro done?

By DEN

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

If you have a Vengeance mode ready to go and have your next mode start ready, and you drain, you aren't able to start a mode at the beginning of the next ball. This is an annoying bug that is nowhere near deep in the game.

Not sure about the comment on the Vengeance and not being able to start a mode after draining with the multiball ready.
Never had that happen on my game and it is up to date code with over 2k plays.

I actually just won a game last night in a tournament on Star Trek and was presented with this scenario:

Opened up Vengeance for multiball in ball 2 and drained, was not in a mode had mode lit and missed and drained.

Ball 3, I short plunged. I had like no points and had mission start ready on the left mission start saucer. I had to decided if I wanted to stack a mode or just play the multiball. I had 2 rough balls and decided to just cash the points so I started Vengeance Multiball and went on to win the game. So I do not think you are correct in your assertion as this is exactly the situation I was in. Unless you are commenting on the fact that it doesnt auto let you start a new mode, which is by design so you have to earn the stack, not a flaw in the code at all.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

That's what I'm saying. At least we're on the same page with how the code behaves, but I am 99% sure this is just how the code happens to work rather than some elaborate plan by the coding team to punish you for having a Vengeance mode ready to go when you drain.
Why would it ever be beneficial to get a Vengeance mode ready when you are at the end of a mode, rather than shooting for a new mode start (and then starting the Vengeance mode)? As it is now, there's no risk/reward choice. You simply have to do a relatively counter-intuitive thing to keep the game from screwing you.

It isn't beneficial, in the flow of the game you have to start a mode from a shot to stack it with a multiball (unless you have a mode running and start the MB) , its the same thing if you drain. Star Trek is a very controllable game, if you dont execute your shots at the right time thats you the player.

Either way, I do not think that would ever change if they did do a small code update to fix the end game glitches Elwin found.

I feel the code is really good and doesn't need anything eles, its already an great game. This late in games life I would assume we are at the mercy of it getting coded in a coders free time rather than Stern allocating time for it.

The comment about Kiss code or things like WWE I think is more attributed to being a poor seller than anything else. Star Trek sold great for Stern so it got more love in the code department, Stern seems to abandon code on games that don't sell well.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

As someone who had to explain this software behavior to tens of league players, I can say that 0% have thought this rule was intuitive and 100% wondered why they weren't able to start a mode at the beginning of a ball when they weren't already in one.
If Ball 1 didn't start with picking a mode to play, I'd be on the same page with you. But it does, and therefore 1/3 of the time the game isn't following your "shoot a mode start shot then bring in a multiball" rule theory.

fair enough. just yell at them in a Steve Ritchie voice "PLAY BETTER!"

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Given your knowledge of how the code works, I'm not sure what benefit you thought you were deriving from getting a Vengeance MB ready to go in this scenario. Even if you were still in a mode but near the end of the timer, there's just no way this is the right thing to do. The only exception would be getting tricked into shooting Vengeance because it's a mode shot (e.g., Space Jump 1 with Away Team).
(Play better!)

I got it ready then bricked mode start and drained on ball 2

Meh I won the 3 strikes tournament without taking a strike with 34 players so I guess I played well enough

The play better was a joke hence the smiley face but I guess that was lost on you somehow.

I killed the vegence and cleared my victory laps so it works out. If I bricked and drained the mode shot I woulda lost. I chose to cash in points.

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you so ima drain out of this thread.

OP, star trek is an awesome game with a bunch of different strategies to score big with really nice dots in the later missions and the code is really good in most players opinions

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider InfiniteLives.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-done?tu=InfiniteLives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.