6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Is the code done on Star Trek?
Thinking about buying a pro model and install pf protector from day one
Does it get old fast? I love fast games like high speed2.
Does stern make more code updates when game is 4 year old?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Is the code done on Star Trek?
Thinking about buying a pro model and install pf protector from day one
Does it get old fast? I love fast games like high speed2.
Does stern make more code updates when game is 4 year old?

Star Trek is a great game with pretty deep code. I miss mine and would consider getting another. There are a few bugs most will never see because they occur so deep into the game progression. Maybe one last bug fix update if you are lucky, but nothing substantial is coming for sure.

#3 6 years ago

Stay tuned.

#4 6 years ago

It’s a great pin all the way around.

#5 6 years ago

Got boring pretty quick for me. The modes are pretty similar. Play one on route first and get a feel for it.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Star Trek is a great game with pretty deep code. I miss mine and would consider getting another. There are a few bugs most will never see because they occur so deep into the game progression. Maybe one last bug fix update if you are lucky, but nothing substantial is coming for sure.

If you have a Vengeance mode ready to go and have your next mode start ready, and you drain, you aren't able to start a mode at the beginning of the next ball. This is an annoying bug that is nowhere near deep in the game.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

If you have a Vengeance mode ready to go and have your next mode start ready, and you drain, you aren't able to start a mode at the beginning of the next ball. This is an annoying bug that is nowhere near deep in the game.

Hmmm ok - I had over 2K plays on mine and never ran into that.

#8 6 years ago

The claim by stern years ago is that another update is coming.
I'm willing to bet that claim will go unanswered and is one of many reasons why I'm not buying a Stern Star Wars machine. They make empty promises to make a quick buck... and have no desire to meet their commitments.

#9 6 years ago

Ive watched youtube videoes and reviews. Most people misses there star trek after selling it and want to buy it again, this must bee a good sign

Most say gameplay is allmost the same on pro as on premium, not worth the extra money. At my pinsuplyer its 5000euro for pro and 8500euro for a nib premium.

I really like metal ramps, but not sure if it justifyes prisedifferent that much, gameplaywise.

#10 6 years ago

Great game to play on route and as cool as it looks, I would never want to own one. +1 I bet it never gets another code update.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Great game to play on route and as cool as it looks, I would never want to own one. +1 I bet it never gets another code update.

Why not?

#12 6 years ago

Premium gameplay not much different than pro, it's more about the light show, and crashing Vengeance, laser star field, lighted warp ramp etc..

If you don't care about the color changing inserts etc.. the pro is great.

#13 6 years ago

I would be very suprised if there is anymore work on the code. If stern haven't done new code for kiss by now then they wont work on an older game.

Star Trek plays very nice and feels complete as it is now. It's a good fun game with great lightshows and sounds.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Hmmm ok - I had over 2K plays on mine and never ran into that.

Easily repeatable bug on my ST Pro (that I sold a while ago), and it was on the newest code. I don't know what to tell you.

#15 6 years ago

Any code issues with ST are not preventing any sales. Stern will sell all they make without another code update. This means there will be no more code update since it would be an expense with no business payoff at this point.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Annoying yes but I believe that was done on purpose. There are other annoying things in code but largely the code is complete. It could some polish but that is common with Stern games. Like others said, the real annoying thing was Stern said there would be another update long time ago. That is not happening.

ST is still fun. I still enjoy playing my pro. All games get old at some point. Warp ramp is one of the best shots in pinball and lots of great flow. Pro is good value and the premium looks amazing.

#17 6 years ago

I still enjoy mine after 4 yr would I if it were my only game probably not good game

#18 6 years ago

We've had our Pro for 4 or 5 months now and I'm still playing it regularly. Great game to have in the basment IMHO.

#19 6 years ago

Programmer here. There are always minor tweaks and corrections that can be made with any code. As snakesnsparklers said, there is no financial reason for there to be another code update. It's highly unlikely you'll see another one.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

It is funny you say that as the game is on your wish list

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Ive watched youtube videoes and reviews. Most people misses there star trek after selling it and want to buy it again, this must bee a good sign
Most say gameplay is allmost the same on pro as on premium, not worth the extra money. At my pinsuplyer its 5000euro for pro and 8500euro for a nib premium.
I really like metal ramps, but not sure if it justifyes prisedifferent that much, gameplaywise.

The light show, theme integration, sound package, and warp ramp have me missing my LE. I almost went pro when I was missing my LE, but the vuk kick back is clunk, the light show is not nearly as good, it's just not as immersive as the LE so I passed.

As for code. It's really good, but rules need more work as it doesn't have quick progression or rising build ups for something spectacular. Medals helped a lot and the cod isn't bad by any means. It has deep strategies but does lack that sense of breadth which means it takes long ball times if you want to get anywhere. I don't mind long ball times as long as it feels like your progressing and unlocking new features and not getting road blocked.

I also wouldn't expect another update as the programmer for it is behind on GB updates (if any), GOT bugs, and currently working on SW.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Any code issues with ST are not preventing any sales. Stern will sell all they make without another code update. This means there will be no more code update since it would be an expense with no business payoff at this point.

No business payoff, but great costumer service

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Not sure about the comment on the Vengeance and not being able to start a mode after draining with the multiball ready.
Never had that happen on my game and it is up to date code with over 2k plays.

I actually just won a game last night in a tournament on Star Trek and was presented with this scenario:

Opened up Vengeance for multiball in ball 2 and drained, was not in a mode had mode lit and missed and drained.

Ball 3, I short plunged. I had like no points and had mission start ready on the left mission start saucer. I had to decided if I wanted to stack a mode or just play the multiball. I had 2 rough balls and decided to just cash the points so I started Vengeance Multiball and went on to win the game. So I do not think you are correct in your assertion as this is exactly the situation I was in. Unless you are commenting on the fact that it doesnt auto let you start a new mode, which is by design so you have to earn the stack, not a flaw in the code at all.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Unless you are commenting on the fact that it doesnt auto let you start a new mode, which is by design so you have to earn the stack, not a flaw in the code at all.

That's what I'm saying. At least we're on the same page with how the code behaves, but I am 99% sure this is just how the code happens to work rather than some elaborate plan by the coding team to punish you for having a Vengeance mode ready to go when you drain.

Why would it ever be beneficial to get a Vengeance mode ready when you are at the end of a mode, rather than shooting for a new mode start (and then starting the Vengeance mode)? As it is now, there's no risk/reward choice. You simply have to do a relatively counter-intuitive thing to keep the game from screwing you.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It is funny you say that as the game is on your wish list

Thx, updated. I added it 11/2014 based upon playing an LE on route and falling in love with it over the light show, on the PF and cabinet. Great on route, but in a home I think it would very repetitive in a small collection.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

That's what I'm saying. At least we're on the same page with how the code behaves, but I am 99% sure this is just how the code happens to work rather than some elaborate plan by the coding team to punish you for having a Vengeance mode ready to go when you drain.
Why would it ever be beneficial to get a Vengeance mode ready when you are at the end of a mode, rather than shooting for a new mode start (and then starting the Vengeance mode)? As it is now, there's no risk/reward choice. You simply have to do a relatively counter-intuitive thing to keep the game from screwing you.

It isn't beneficial, in the flow of the game you have to start a mode from a shot to stack it with a multiball (unless you have a mode running and start the MB) , its the same thing if you drain. Star Trek is a very controllable game, if you dont execute your shots at the right time thats you the player.

Either way, I do not think that would ever change if they did do a small code update to fix the end game glitches Elwin found.

I feel the code is really good and doesn't need anything eles, its already an great game. This late in games life I would assume we are at the mercy of it getting coded in a coders free time rather than Stern allocating time for it.

The comment about Kiss code or things like WWE I think is more attributed to being a poor seller than anything else. Star Trek sold great for Stern so it got more love in the code department, Stern seems to abandon code on games that don't sell well.

#27 6 years ago

It isn't beneficial, in the flow of the game you have to start a mode from a shot to stack it with a multiball (unless you have a mode running and start the MB)

As someone who had to explain this software behavior to tens of league players, I can say that 0% have thought this rule was intuitive and 100% wondered why they weren't able to start a mode at the beginning of a ball when they weren't already in one.

If Ball 1 didn't start with picking a mode to play, I'd be on the same page with you. But it does, and therefore 1/3 of the time the game isn't following your "shoot a mode start shot then bring in a multiball" rule theory.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

As someone who had to explain this software behavior to tens of league players, I can say that 0% have thought this rule was intuitive and 100% wondered why they weren't able to start a mode at the beginning of a ball when they weren't already in one.
If Ball 1 didn't start with picking a mode to play, I'd be on the same page with you. But it does, and therefore 1/3 of the time the game isn't following your "shoot a mode start shot then bring in a multiball" rule theory.

fair enough. just yell at them in a Steve Ritchie voice "PLAY BETTER!"

#29 6 years ago

fair enough. just yell at them in a Steve Ritchie voice "PLAY BETTER!"

See, you're saying it's a "play better" thing. I'm saying it's a stupid rule that nobody who's paying attention to how the game works should be expecting until they see it a bunch or it's explained to them.

The only way to play better here is to be aware of it and avoid it, which isn't particularly skillful or difficult, other than the very bottom end of new players who are truly spraying the ball around and can't avoid getting Vengeance ready. And those players would also be less likely to be able to internalize this stupid requirement.

#30 6 years ago

ST is a good game, but has a few flaws that kept us from keeping it (we sold our LE recently)

- Mode purgatory. The two mode start shots are reasonably difficult, leading to lots of time spent not in modes. Boring play when all you're trying to do is trap up and hit one of the two flipper-tip shots just to progress the game along.

- Bones overload. The addition of all the Doctor's quotes really hurt the game, as many are said without much enthusiasm, and the mixing is louder so they stand out more. Plus there's just too damn many of them... almost starts to sound like the game is just about the good Doctor and nothing else.

- Mode similarity. More is not always better.. as others have said, the 18 modes have no personality, just different sequences of colored lights to hit. Compare to TWD with only five modes, but each one feels much more unique from the others.

OTOH, the multiballs are good, there's strategy in stacking certain modes with multiballs, the music is nice, and the shot flow is excellent.

#31 6 years ago

I actually just won a game last night in a tournament on Star Trek and was presented with this scenario:
Opened up Vengeance for multiball in ball 2 and drained, was not in a mode had mode lit and missed and drained.

Given your knowledge of how the code works, I'm not sure what benefit you thought you were deriving from getting a Vengeance MB ready to go in this scenario. Even if you were still in a mode but near the end of the timer, there's just no way this is the right thing to do. The only exception would be getting tricked into shooting Vengeance because it's a mode shot (e.g., Space Jump 1 with Away Team).

(Play better!)

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Given your knowledge of how the code works, I'm not sure what benefit you thought you were deriving from getting a Vengeance MB ready to go in this scenario. Even if you were still in a mode but near the end of the timer, there's just no way this is the right thing to do. The only exception would be getting tricked into shooting Vengeance because it's a mode shot (e.g., Space Jump 1 with Away Team).
(Play better!)

I got it ready then bricked mode start and drained on ball 2

Meh I won the 3 strikes tournament without taking a strike with 34 players so I guess I played well enough

The play better was a joke hence the smiley face but I guess that was lost on you somehow.

I killed the vegence and cleared my victory laps so it works out. If I bricked and drained the mode shot I woulda lost. I chose to cash in points.

I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you so ima drain out of this thread.

OP, star trek is an awesome game with a bunch of different strategies to score big with really nice dots in the later missions and the code is really good in most players opinions

#33 6 years ago

I love the flow of Star Trek and have put tons of games on the one in league. We've had it on and off for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Flow is awesome and very satisfying when you string together the combos. Left ramp backhand, right ramp, left orbit, warp ramp is so much fun. Stringing together 4, 5 or 6 warp ramps is probably the most satisfying set of shots I've ever hit.

The only thing keeping me from buying one is the redundant nature of the modes and lack of strategy. It seems so linear to me.

I just bought a TWD because of the differences between the modes and all the strategy involved (Star Trek was on my short list when shopping). CDC - Build the value the ramp, hit some other shots and then cash in for a huge value at the ramp again. Unless you do what I do and get greedy with building the value and drain, or not hit the CDC shot before it times out. Grrrr!

Things like that are what keep me coming back to that game. I always feel like I'm one shot away from blowing it up.

Star Trek a lot of fun if you just want to throw the ball around since everything feeds the flippers. I have a ton of fun with the game, but can't see owning one long term. We have one at leagues, so I can get my fix on Thursdays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-done and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.