You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1429_(resized).JPG
IMG_1428a_(resized).jpg
trek_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I was in the middle of a game today when I went to use the flippers but they did not respond.
Also after the ball drained, ball 2 did not come out.
I powered off the machine and powered it back on.
The flipper selection will let you choose a mission, but the flipper coils weren't firing.
I looked at the circuit board in the head and saw that the LED at fuse 10 was out.
I swapped out a fuse with another game (same fuse / value) and the LED came on.
I put the glass back on then pushed start. It must have blown the fuse right away because the coils again wouldn't fire.
Any ideas here?
I will contact Stern but I'm probably going to have to wait until Monday at this point.
The only mod on this machine is a Cointaker Red Tremor. It has been installed since I got the machine a few weeks ago and has been working 100%.
Thanks guys.

#2 8 years ago

Fuses dont usually blow for no reason. You probably have something shorted. Start by disconnecting the playfield wiring to the high powered coils and see if the fuse still blows. If so its in the board itself. If it it's in the playfield. In either case, an ohm meter will help you track it down further.

#3 8 years ago

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I haven't had a ton of time to look into this because all the stores were closed (to buy fuses).
Here is where I got so far.
I tried unplugging J9 the circuit boards. I chose that because one of the first things I noticed when it happened was the flippers stopped working. So Q15 and Q16 on J9.
Then I replaced the fuse (yes, same value borrowed from my other machine) then powered it up.
All was good and the led on the circuit board remained on. I left it for 10 minutes and no change.
So the I figured let me give it a credit and see how things go. It kicked the ball into the shooter lane then blew the fuse. Since I had the high current coils unplugged I couldn't figure out why the coil still fired. After going back to the manual, I realize J8 powers the auto launch. UGH! I notice it also powers the shaker motor and that's the only mod made to this machine. As I mentioned, it has been working fine with the shaker since day one, but since that's the only mod, I will try to unplug it.
I am waiting for stores to open so I can buy more fuses. I will then unplug J8 and plug J9 back in and see what happens.

trek_(resized).jpgtrek_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

I don't have extensive electrical experience/knowledge in pinball.

But with a fuse blowing due to a shorted to ground circuit somewhere. Will the "headlight in fuse" method work to help find the short vs unplugging stuff and then inserting a fuse to see if blows

I was an auto tech 20 years ago and I used the headlight method often in troubleshooting electrical shorts to ground

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

. . . Will the "headlight in fuse" method work to help find the short vs unplugging stuff and then inserting a fuse to see if blows . . .

Thanks for the reply.
Can you clarify what you mean by Headlight in fuse method?

Just for some clarification, I didn't alter the wiring of my machine etc. I was in the middle of a game when it blew the fuse.
The machine was working 100% for 2 weeks with no issues.
I did place a call to Stern on the 24th, but all their techs were busy with other callers. I left a detailed voice message.
One thing I wouldn't want to do is void the warranty.

#6 8 years ago

The "headlight in fuse" method

I would attach jumper wires to the connectors of a seal beam car headlight. And then attached the other end of the jumper clips to the fuse holder.

The fuse blowing is because there is no load between the power and power. The headlight in fuse handles the load. When the short to ground condition is present. The headlight will light up. The intensity will depend if there are other load devices on that circuit and if they are in the on position

Imagine connecting a wire between your car battery terminals. It will heat up instant. That's a short to ground condition.

But when u attach a test light to the car battery terminals. All is fine The bulb takes up the load.

But with automotives. I'm working with 12volt DC current with a 12v DC sealed beam headlight.

I don't know the voltage or current of a pinball machine

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

The "headlight in fuse" method
I would attach jumper wires to the connectors of a seal beam car headlight. And then attached the other end of the jumper clips to the fuse holder.
The fuse blowing is because there is no load between the power and power. The headlight in fuse handles the load. When the short to ground condition is present. The headlight will light up. The intensity will depend if there are other load devices on that circuit and if they are in the on position
But with automotives. I'm working with 12volt DC current with a 12v DC sealed beam headlight.
I don't know the voltage or current of a pinball machine

The coils are powered from 50v dc. Doing testing like this is exactly what I mean about voiding the warranty. Neat trick, but I wouldn't risk damaging a pin like this. There are only so many sources that are causing the short. Markmon has it right, I just need to unplug certain coils until I find the culprit. If that means replacing $5 worth the fuses, so be it.
Not crapping on your idea, its just too risky.

#8 8 years ago

A pinball machine is a giant vibrating box. So much can come loose. On my Star Trek. My left sling would go ball on ball to shooter lane. I didn't understand why. Until after my left sling stopped working. I looked at it closes and noticed the upper left sling switch was closed. Over usages. The switch contacts got closer and closer together til it was always closed. I think if left the way. Something bad would have happened. But who knows

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

The coils are powered from 50v dc. Doing testing like this is exactly what I mean about voiding the warranty. Neat trick, but I wouldn't risk damaging a pin like this. There are only so many sources that are causing the short. Markmon has it right, I just need to unplug certain coils until I find the culprit. If that means replacing $5 worth the fuses, so be it.
Not crapping on your idea, its just too risky.

No worries. I was inquirimg if there was another method of finding shorts without blowing fuses.

#10 8 years ago

Just replaced the fuse with J8 and J9 unplugged and the fuse holds solid.
Press start and no problems. So I think the circuit boards are probably good.
I plugged J9 back in and press start and it blows the fuse.
I unplugged the shaker motor totally and plugged J9 and J8 back in and it blows the fuse.
Can I assume it's a coil that's froze up? If so, should I see any tell tale signs there is an issue with a coil?

#11 8 years ago

Yup, start testing the coils with game off, meter set to resistance/ohms and find the one that is shorted and reading open (or nearly open). It will read way different than the others.

Good luck.

Marc

#12 8 years ago

I would start by taking a close look at the ball trough coil that kicks the ball into the launcher, I'm assuming this is the only coil that would fire just by pressing the start button. If this coil is shorted or the wire is broken off and grounded you will see this fuse blow in the manner you described.

#13 8 years ago

I spoke with a pinball tech this afternoon.
Their suspicion is a bad diode on one of the coils and they gave me a replacement.
I guess the only problem I will have is they said I need to cut one side of the diode to test it with a meter.
My concern is if Stern will say I voided the warranty.
Any suggestions for checking a diode while still in the circuit?

#14 8 years ago

I'm following your thread to learn more about pinball troubleshooting and repair

I dont think u can get an accurate reading on diodes that are connected to a circuit. So isolating them is the needed to measure accurate results

Question. How would hooking up the new diode in parellel with the suspected bad diode change the results. Wouldnt the flow of power take the path of least resistance and flow thru the suspected bad diode?

#15 8 years ago

It's possible that you have a bad diode, typically they will short when they fail and read 0 ohms across them, you can remove J8 and J9 to kind of isolate them from the circuit but they are still in parallel with the coil so you will need a good meter to make these small resistance checks. With those two cables removed and power off of course, you can check all the coils in the game without unsoldering anything. Write down all the resistance measurements and compare like coils ... for example the 3 pop bumpers should all be very close to the same resistance since they are all the same type coil.

Lets assume that you have a shorted diode, in order for the fuse to blow you still have to close the circuit to the coil. So the question still remains, what coils are energized by the start button? I'm asking that because those are the only ones that really need to be checked. I would say that it's possible for a failed coil diode to in turn take out the same driver transistor that its there to protect, but if that was the case, you would blow the fuse as soon as the game was powered on since the coil circuit would be completed all the time.

A second question, which relates to the first; in the switch test menu, are there any switches that read closed when they shouldn't? Where I'm going with this is something like the switch that energizes the magnet being stuck on so that the magnet fires as soon as a game starts when it really shouldn't be on.

#16 8 years ago

This morning things went from bad to worse.
I unplugged J8 and J9 before I began my testing of the diodes. I replaced the fuse just make sure all was still good, but this time it blew the fuse as soon as I powered the machine on.
Ugh. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere.
I guess I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to speak with Stern.
What will they have me do? Fortunately I am electronically inclined. What do they do for consumers who are not?

#17 8 years ago

Well that doesn't make any sense; can you confirm the fuse your are blowing is the 50V fuse on the I/O Power driver board? Also, what is the part number of your board? I went with the assumption that you are blowing the 50V fuse, but the manual shows F10 as the +20V circuit fuse.

When you speak with Stern, they are going to ask you to perform some tests in order to isolate the problem to the playfield component or circuit board causing the problem, pretty similar to what you are already doing. If they determine that its a board issue, they will want you to go through your distributer to have the part shipped to you and its up to the distributer on how they handle this. Now for the guy out there that doesn't have any skills working on a machine they are going to ask if you know someone that can come over and have a look at the problem; the Stern tech really cant help someone that cant make the checks.

IMG_1428a_(resized).jpgIMG_1428a_(resized).jpg

IMG_1429_(resized).JPGIMG_1429_(resized).JPG

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

This morning things went from bad to worse.
I unplugged J8 and J9 before I began my testing of the diodes. I replaced the fuse just make sure all was still good, but this time it blew the fuse as soon as I powered the machine on.
Ugh. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere.
I guess I am going to have to wait until tomorrow to speak with Stern.
What will they have me do? Fortunately I am electronically inclined. What do they do for consumers who are not?

They swap boards out.

#19 8 years ago

Hi Pin_Guy,
Yes, that is the fuse that keeps blowing.
If you notice the diagram in my post #3, they list it as 50v.

Here is an update as to what I did today.
I tried to unplug every coil that I could. I removed the fuses under the playfield and I disconnected 2 connections going from the head to the playfield including the auto launch and the trough coin.

At first things were good and now the fuse stopped blowing after pressing the start button.
Then I replaced just the right upper flipper fuse and started the game.
All was good. It let me press targets, etc and press the right flipper and it held solid.
Then I put the 2 fuses back in for the left and right flipper and started the game. Fuse blew right away.
That's strange because the 2 wires were still disconnect below.
I got frustrated and I said that's it, no more troubleshooting until I call Stern tomorrow.
I plugged everything back in and replaced the fuse.
I knew I needed to start somewhere when I called them, so I said, ok, let me at least get back to where it first blew the fuse, so with everything hooked up and new fuse installed, I powered it up.
Guess what. THE FUSE DIDNT BLOW!!! WTF???
I was mad and excited at the same time. It made no sense.
I put the glass back on and started a game (I left the translite off for the moment).
It played great. The flippers worked, it put an extra ball into play and all way good.
Then all of a sudden the F10 fuse blew again.

#20 8 years ago

I'm have mixed feelings about it stopping blowing fuses immediately since that would be way easier to isolate than an intermittent problem but I'm glad we are on the same page on which fuse is blowing. This F10 fuse has nothing to do with your high current solenoids at J-9 and J-10, it powers the low current solenoids and flash lamps connected to J6 and J7 of the power driver. I did look at the diagram from post #3 but I just don't see any connection to F10. Earlier when you mentioned that it was immediately blowing the fuse on power on I was starting to suspect BR2 as the cause and its likely Stern is going to recommend replacing the I/O Power Driver which may fix everything. If you have time, play a game with no flashers by removing the connector from J6 and see how it goes, I would prepare for the new I/O board not fixing the problem ... but that's me. Try not to get down or frustrated, pinball machines do break from time to time, but they are always repairable

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This F10 fuse has nothing to do with your high current solenoids at J-9 and J-10, it powers the low current solenoids and flash lamps connected to J6 and J7 of the power driver.

Referring back to that diagram, you will see next to for example "left flipper" it says Q15 and Auto Launch is Q2.
Then checking where these Q#'s are plugged into, you will see Q2 is on J8 and Q15 is on J9.
The reason I started on J8 and J9 is those the functions that stopped working when F10 was blown.
In the picture you provided you can see F10 controls Coils and Flashers. But what I did pick up from that diagram is F5 controls coils and flippers.

#22 8 years ago

I was looking at the schematics to determine why you lost flipper power and all I can come up with is that there is a Interlock20 status output coming off the 18V AC line after the F10 fuse, this status along with the 50v status and a couple others become an 8bit data word that is monitored by the onboard processor. I would have to guess that a failure of any of these critical voltages tells the computer to immediately halt game play, which is why you would see the flippers stop responding. I could be wrong but would love to hear what the guy from Stern says.

#23 8 years ago

So much happened since I was here. So the way I go about it is this. Once I have eliminated the board as the issue, I get my ohm meter and put it on continuity mode where it beeps when the ends touch. Then I put the black lead into the ground braid and using the red lead I touch each pin of the connector I removed until I find the shorted one. Then I know which wire has the short. Trace that back to the coil etc

1 month later
#24 8 years ago

Did you find the solution?

2 years later
#25 6 years ago

Curious, how did this end up sorting itself? I am in a similar situation with my STPro.

9 months later
#26 5 years ago

Same problem happening to my Star Trek LE model. Fuse F10 is blowing. On mine, it's happening when you start a game, right after it kicks out the first pinball to the shooting area.

Did either of you figure out the cause?

1 month later
#27 5 years ago

I ended up solving the problem.

Short story: Transistor Q29 was bad

Long story, being my first pinball problem, I troubleshot the problem as follows:

1. First I got some replacement 5AMP slow blow fuses. Ordered Cooper Bussmann fuses from Amazon seller "Game Room Guys"
2. Turned off machine, unplugged it, replaced with new fuse.
3. Opened up coin door which disables the 20VDC rails which prevents the fuse from blowing.
4. Turned on the machine and went directly into the service menu.
5. Enabled the 20VDC rails by pulling the little knob behind the coin door
6. Proceeded to test individually each and every lamp/flasher/coil with the service menu.
7. Determined that the Flasher for the Left Loop didn't work right, it was stuck on (if I recall) and remained on for a second or two even after turning the power off (spooky!)
8. Thinking maybe the flasher was broken, ordered a replacement from Pinball Life: https://www.pinballlife.com/ablaze-8-smd-led-12-volt-89-bayonet-base-flasher-lamp.html
9. Replaced flasher with new one, it did the same thing, remained on
10. Looked in Star Trek Manual and saw that Left Loop Flash was running from drive transistor Q29
11. Located transistor Q29 on the circuit board in the back cabinet box and tested it with my multimeter. Learned how from here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-transistor#post-199399
12. Sure enough, Q29 tested bad
13. Ordered a replacement transistor from DigiKey, went with a better more robust version the TIP102G: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/TIP102G/TIP102GOS-ND/920319
14. Took a ton of pictures of all the cables and connections to the PCB then I removed the PCB from the back of the box
15. Desoldered the transistor and removed it. Then soldered on the TIP102G replacement
16. Hooked up the PCB back in the box just like it was connected before
17. Re-tested each lamp individually again and BINGO the flasher for the left loop was now working perfectly
18. Played a test game, worked great

I've since played multiple games and have had no troubles at all.

Hopefully this list of troubleshooting steps I performed might help someone else out there

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-pro-blowing-f10-fuse?hl=jcantelli and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.