6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hazoff
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Thought for fun I'd post a vid playing all ST modes vs just PD3 over and over Funny how a simple thing as not resetting the shot value for failing PD3 totally throws the game into imbalance. Enjoy.

#2 6 years ago

Crazy scoring! My best is 130m so I am blown away how easy you make it look. Interesting choice of music to throw in a Star Trek pin.

#3 6 years ago

Spock! You alright?

I don't think you have to stay on PD3 to get crazy scoring. Go past 5YM and see...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Spock! You alright?
I don't think you have to stay on PD3 to get crazy scoring. Go past 5YM and see...

No idea what you are referring. 5YM is rather worthless. You can start on PD and get the same scores. I just saved it for last to show how much quicker to 500M it is lol

#5 6 years ago

Good stuff Keith. You've just given me a reason to start playing one of the 5 or so pros on location around here with old software. If that bug is still there in the latest and greatest, it will likely be there in 1.4.

Stern should hire you and Neil to do QA testing. Wouldn't be a need for test locations with you guys on the case.

#6 6 years ago

amazing game, damn, that's great score.

#7 6 years ago

Cool vid Keith. Love the background music you have going.

A question, as I haven't played ST much .. How does the double scoring start? With Warp 9?

rd.

#8 6 years ago

I think Prime Directive 2 & 3 have the best dots.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

No idea what you are referring. 5YM is rather worthless. You can start on PD and get the same scores. I just saved it for last to show how much quicker to 500M it is lol

I just meant when the missions start over they're worth a ton of points as well. But that scoring 'feature' in PD3 is awesome, thanks for sharing. You make it all seem so easy. That Warp ramp is dialed in nicely, too.

#10 6 years ago

So timing out a mode is again a ST 'strategy'

What is that per shot scoring based on? Previous mode scoring? Or is it always high?

Game still has so much potential, but so many little things amiss...

#11 6 years ago

Yep yet another flaw in the programming for sure there, awesome game nice to see someone reach over a billion on the game!!!! Pretty bad when you are actually rewarded for not going for the final wizard mode, lol...

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

What is that per shot scoring based on? Previous mode scoring? Or is it always high?

The programmer(s) have their work cut out for them fixing the ST code. The Enterprise Amok animation sound (or lack thereof) seems quite bland and has zero 'wow' factor.

Rob

#13 6 years ago

repeat

Post edited by SolarRide: repeat

#14 6 years ago

complete level 3 of a mode and a particular shot is doubled.Klingon level 3 causes left ramp to be doubled.
Save the enterprise 3 and right ramp is doubled. Nero 3 and left orbit is doubled, Space jump 3 and right orbit is doubled. On v1.5, the doublers stay for the whole game. Warp 9.1 and 9.9 create double scoring for all features not just loops,saucer and ramps, but only for 40 seconds and these can combine for 4x scoring with L3 or combo doublers. combo shots create hurry-up doublers on a ramp,orbit or the saucer, but they don't combine with L3 doublers.

Quoted from rotordave:

Cool vid Keith. Love the background music you have going.
A question, as I haven't played ST much .. How does the double scoring start? With Warp 9?
rd.

#15 6 years ago

For PD3 it is helpful to have played KM and EA first for larger scoring, plus getting the ramps and orbits doubled by completing their L3s. Like all level 3 modes if you don't complete a level 3 mode in the allotted time, all shots must be hit again on the restart of the L3, so you are turning the tables on the programmers by intentionally not ever completing PD3 so that you have this big scoring shots relit on the next PD3 restart. Also PD3 holds the values from PD3 restart to restart if on the same ball, so that it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. 16M point shots are not uncommon by the time you get to the 3rd or 4rth retart on the same ball, but just try to hit the multi-colored arrow shots which are worth more. it will be interesting to see how PD3 builds on the restarts without playing KM and EA and also without getting the L3 doublers. It probably builds but just more slowly than if you do the above.

#16 6 years ago

Awesome game, love the music selection!
Did you change out some of your mini post rubbers for post sleeves? Little hard to tell exactly from the video. Maybe a picture or two would help.
Sometimes I get random airballs on mine and was thinking about doing this to see if it would help.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

complete level 3 of a mode and a particular shot is doubled.Klingon level 3 causes left ramp to be doubled.
Save the enterprise 3 and right ramp is doubled. Nero 3 and left orbit is doubled, Space jump 3 and right orbit is doubled. On v1.5, the doublers stay for the whole game. Warp 9.1 and 9.9 create double scoring for all features not just loops,saucer and ramps, but only for 40 seconds and these can combine for 4x scoring with L3 or combo doublers. combo shots create hurry-up doublers on a ramp,orbit or the saucer, but they don't combine with L3 doublers.

Shhhh! I have to play ST against RD on saturday .

#18 6 years ago

For the mode value each mode started increases the base value (this includes galactic modes). Each mode you start on the same ball also boosts the base value. If I went straight into PD1, 2, 3 at game start the mode value should be around 1 million. The color changing shot on PD3 is double so say 2 million as a low estimate. So shooting left ramp for 1x at 2 million, combo to right ramp (Combos score 2x) for 4.2m, to left orbit 4.4m to warp ramp 4.6m. That will score you @15 million PLUS it will boost the shot base value. The base value will not reset until you lose the mode but timing out the mode doesn't reset the value. So when the mode times out and you restart the awards will be- 2.4m, 5, 5.2, 5.4 ect... and that is where the problem is. PD3 is a high scoring mode with safe shots that just keep going up and up the more you replay it even at the beginning of the game.

#19 6 years ago

Great gameplay video Keith! Hopefully the scoring issues are addressed in their next update. They have quite a load to hit on this code; I'm confident they'll get the right minds set to get the job done.

#20 6 years ago

amazing game, thanks.

#21 6 years ago

Yeah, that's pretty much how most of my games end up going. Sometimes I like to just cruise through the whole billion on PD3. You know, when I'm chillin'.

Fark I feel inadequate right now.

Oh well, after the greatest Split Enz tease in the history of everything I think I'll go listen to the whole song now..

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yeah, that's pretty much how most of my games end up going. Sometimes I like to just cruise through the whole billion on PD3. You know, when I'm chillin'.
Fark I feel inadequate right now.
Oh well, after the greatest Split Enz tease in the history of everything I think I'll go listen to the whole song now..
» YouTube video

Yeah, I was going to comment on the Split Enz snippets ...good to hear the Enz on there.

Thanks for the rule explanations SolarRide and KME. I need to get some more time on the game.

rd.

#23 6 years ago

This is absolutely hilarious. I had no idea Prime Directive could be milked like that. In the next couple of days, I need to head to the nearest location that has one of these to try it out myself.

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for posting..... I think.

#25 6 years ago

great info, i tried this today, i started a game went straight to kb 1/2/3, then milked pd 1/2/3 with little effort for 124million. I can see with this trick im going to pound my high score.

#26 6 years ago

I never play faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes...

#27 6 years ago

So far, I'm about the same - PD3 vs rest of game. At this point, I wouldn't call it an exploit. I know I'm not the best player around - so getting past PD 1,2 and three and timing out to get the multiplier working isn't the easiest thing for me to do. Of course, this is just one night trying, with several Jack and Cokes under my belt...

..your mileage may vary.

#28 6 years ago

BTW SJ3 is a nice runner-up to PD3 in the event that you accidentally finish PD3 and can't restart it.

#29 6 years ago

Wow thanks for this. I modified it due to my terrible skill.. For a TOPS tourney entry, timed out all level 1's and then played PD3 as many times as possible. Got 4 way combo value up to around 30-40 mil good for 315m. I'll take it!

Quoted from SolarRide:

BTW SJ3 is a nice runner-up to PD3 in the event that you accidentally finish PD3 and can't restart it.

Does SJ3 have doublers in a convenient combo sequence? Or different scoring completely? Im not familiar.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

Wow thanks for this. I modified it due to my terrible skill.. For a TOPS tourney entry, timed out all level 1's and then played PD3 as many times as possible. Got 4 way combo value up to around 30-40 mil good for 315m. I'll take it!

Does SJ3 have doublers in a convenient combo sequence? Or different scoring completely? Im not familiar.

SJ3 has much riskier shots which is why PD3 is the way to go.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

SJ3 has much riskier shots which is why PD3 is the way to go.

Ahhh, so do all level 3 modes carry over shot values and PD3 is just the safest?

#32 6 years ago

What happened at the 10 minute mark? The ball drained and the shoot again was solid, but the ball launched instantly. Somewhat familiar with the game, but not more than several plays.

Also, in Destroy the Drill III "6 shot left".

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What happened at the 10 minute mark? The ball drained and the shoot again was solid, but the ball launched instantly. Somewhat familiar with the game, but not more than several plays.
Also, in Destroy the Drill III "6 shot left".

I haven't re-watched it, but was it a "Rescue" save from the left outlane?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

i watched it, yes it was a rescue save.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Quoted from Kahanaohana:

i watched it, yes it was a rescue save.

Thanks. Didn't even know that was in there. Seems worthwhile to at least be aware of.

#36 6 years ago

I don't think I could play this well even with the glass off!

#37 6 years ago

Well first let's distinguish between doublers and multi-colored shots: combo doublers are totally independent of mode. If you shoot the left ramp, for example, the right ramp and right orbit will have a hurry-up doubler lit. It doesn't matter what mode you're in or even if you're in a mode.
Now I think the SJ3 multi-colored flashing shots, which are twice the value of the uni-colored flashing shots start out on the right orbit, rather than the left ramp like PD3. As KME suggests, PD3 would be your first choice. But if PD3 unavailable, maybe you had to do a slap-save and hit the saucer which was the last shot for an accidental completion of PD3 or you find you're on last ball with SJ1 and SJ2 completed but no progress yet on PD, you might keep restarting SJ3 rather than trying to go from scratch up to PD3. It's just an outlet for an odd-ball situation.

Quoted from appeac:

SolarRide said:

#38 6 years ago

Great video and fantastic game nice score! thanks for sharing

#39 6 years ago

I tried this on location last night and had some mild (very mild) success. It's definitely harder than it looks and my highest game only playing with PD3 was 200 million. It wasn't as efficient as it could have been though because the operator has the mode start set to "hard" (you have to shoot the mode start shots twice in order to actually start a mode, pretty annoying), and I wasn't quite in a rhythm/flow pattern for this type of play. At the end of it though I think ideally you would want to start the mode from the plunger lane, hit the warp ramp which lights everything for a 2X combo, pummel the left ramp, to right ramp, to left orbit all at 2X + 2X scoring.

On a side note, I did try the Space Jump alternate strategy and didn't find it very useful. The problem with it is that it has very few blinking shots (doublers), and that's the key to PD3.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I tried this on location last night and had some mild (very mild) success. It's definitely harder than it looks and my highest game only playing with PD3 was 200 million. It wasn't as efficient as it could have been though because the operator has the mode start set to "hard" (you have to shoot the mode start shots twice in order to actually start a mode, pretty annoying), and I wasn't quite in a rhythm/flow pattern for this type of play. At the end of it though I think ideally you would want to start the mode from the plunger lane, hit the warp ramp which lights everything for a 2X combo, pummel the left ramp, to right ramp, to left orbit all at 2X + 2X scoring.
On a side note, I did try the Space Jump alternate strategy and didn't find it very useful. The problem with it is that it has very few blinking shots (doublers), and that's the key to PD3.

I would hate to play it set up with the mode starts on hard!!! Having to shoot them as often as is required is already a bit much IMO.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

the operator has the mode start set to "hard" (you have to shoot the mode start shots twice in order to actually start a mode, pretty annoying).

Good lord... this would have to be close to #1 on the list of "Ways to make ST worse"

I get super frustrated stuck in 'mode select' for one single shot...

#42 6 years ago

Good lord... this would have to be close to #1 on the list of "Ways to make ST worse"

Too many settings are based upon making the game harder for the operators to make more profit. Unfortunately there are too few settings just to customize game rules as the owner sees fit.

Rob

#43 6 years ago

Hitting either of the two shots required to change missions is by far the HARDEST shot in he game for me. ...it can be SO FRUSTRATING at times.

That said, I know ST has made me a better player.

#44 6 years ago

Yeah, it is pretty annoying. The ironic thing is that the operator set it to this to cut back on game times. The thing is, in a good player's hands, it just makes the game play even longer.

Getting off topic, he also has the Klingon multi-ball set to hard as well. You have to complete two full sets of the green standups to light a single lock, so basically six full banks to ready the multi-ball. I am not a fan of modifying settings in this way, it just makes the game less fun to play and that kind of defeats the purpose of playing pinball (i.e., to have fun). On the flipside though it gives me an excuse to play PD3 solely and earn lots of free credits.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Yeah, it is pretty annoying. The ironic thing is that the operator set it to this to cut back on game times. The thing is, in a good player's hands, it just makes the game play even longer.
Getting off topic, he also has the Klingon multi-ball set to hard as well. You have to complete two full sets of the green standups to light a single lock, so basically six full banks to ready the multi-ball. I am not a fan of modifying settings in this way, it just makes the game less fun to play and that kind of defeats the purpose of playing pinball (i.e., to have fun). On the flipside though it gives me an excuse to play PD3 solely and earn lots of free credits.

Who is this operator? I imagine he probably has an account on pinside.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

You have to complete two full sets of the green standups to light a single lock, so basically six full banks to ready the multi-ball

That's ridiculous!

#47 6 years ago

He should just put a sign on his machine that says, "i don't want anyone to have fun playing this machine"

#48 5 years ago

I just tried this strategy last night at home. Now mind you, I'm not a great player at all. My previous GC score was about 98 million but I have not even been close to that lately and are usually in the 10-20 million range on most games. Playing only PD3 I had games in the 40-50 million range and did get a new GC score at 109 million (and that was with a horrible last ball).

This strategy also seemed more 'fun' last night as it was nice to challenge myself to actually finish the mode which I was able to do a couple of times.

#49 5 years ago

I tried it again last night as well, and set a new GC score. It is challenging and fun, but it's too bad the rest of the level 3 modes do not have equal scoring potential.

...and DAMN I'm tired of hearing "Spock, are you OK?"

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I tried it again last night as well, and set a new GC score. It is challenging and fun, but it's too bad the rest of the level 3 modes do not have equal scoring potential.
...and DAMN I'm tired of hearing "Spock, are you OK?"

I believe the strategy does work for all of the level 3's. It's already been noted that SJ3 is a good back up. The reason PD3 is being singled out is because of the layout of the shots are such that you can combo a couple in a row somewhat easily.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Port St. Lucie, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside