Topic poll

“I've owned both at some point - which pin is better”

• X-Men LE 15 votes
    48%
  • Star Trek Premium 16 votes
    52%

(31 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Ok, so those of you that have actually owned both and enjoy both pins to some degree I'd like to hear your opinions. If you are basing your opinion *only* on the audio callouts of X-Men I am not interested in that, I know some people just can't get past the X-Men audio and I understand but there is more to a machine to me than just that. Just basing this on overall fun factor and gameplay. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

I have both. Star Trek is more of a fast paced non stop adrenaline rush. Xmen has a lot of cool shots, ramps, magnets and toys which makes it a little more stop and go but still good speed. Multiball start on both is great.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Ok, so those of you that have actually owned both and enjoy both pins to some degree I'd like to hear your opinions. If you are basing your opinion *only* on the audio callouts of X-Men I am not interested in that, I know some people just can't get past the X-Men audio and I understand but there is more to a machine to me than just that. Just basing this on overall fun factor and gameplay. Thanks.

I owned both a Star Trek Pro and an XMEN LE for a period of time. If I had to pick one I would choose Star Trek but its close in my book. XMEN has a lot of interesting shots and some cool toys. However, the extra toys in XMEN (the ramp, the pop ups) are used too sparingly in my opinion.

Star Trek feels like the more complete game between the two and offers better theme integration compared to XMEN in my opinion. There's also multiple levels of modes in Star Trek. However, one knock I have against Star Trek is that a lot of its modes feel the same which is one of the reasons I sold it. Playing through modes in XMEN felt more unique and interesting compared to those in Star Trek and I believe that is due to the shot variety offered by XMEN.

Honestly they are both great games. Tomorrow I could pick XMEN, lol.

#4 6 years ago

X-Men. My Magneto LE has kicked a lot tougher competition than Star Trek out of my basement (yes I have owned ST Prem, and it couldn't even hold out against the pro). There are plenty of reviews by respected players around here that praise X-Men highly. For a top 5 game, get the newton ball mod in there and experience Borg's design masterpiece. And to be completely in line with your question, yes, I do enjoy ST as well and still own it.

#5 6 years ago

I dont own star trek but Ive played it a ton and I really do enjoy it... I do however own an wolvie LE. I really love the shots ( I also have the newton ball mod), and to me, you can pick up an xmen LE cheap... cant justify an extra $3k to grab a premium ST even tho ST is fun.

#6 6 years ago

I’ve owned both (STLE, Wolv LE, XMEN PRO).

Layouts are actually quite similar. XMEN shots being tighter, harder, but a little more satisfying. Warp ramp is my favorite upper ramp shot in Pinball, but Storm shot is my 2nd favorite! These are two fantastic upper flipper shots.

Vengeance smokes magneto away. But both those main toys did not get the level of attention software wise that they deserve. So much more could have been done with both mechs.

Art: XMEN
Theme: ST
Sounds: ST
call outs: ST
Rules: XMEN
Lighting: ST
Overall code: ST
DMD: ST (now that it has color dmd)

Cons of both games:
- XMEN wolverine is way oversized, huge, and a missed opportunity. There is a mod to fix it though I haven’t seen or played it with the mod.
- XMEN sound package is hit and miss. But more of a miss.
- XMEN multiball code is pretty bad for wolverine, and the 2 villain MB’s. Magneto mb rules are good but the sounds are annoying as hell. When you defeat villains or the multiball there’s no real ending or transition, just starts over with the villains you defeated alive again. On the flip side, danger room and dark Phoenix are bad ass.
- ST lacks in rules progression. It seems to lie on a linear plane with not many twists and turns. Granted, that linear plane is fast and Adrenalin driven. But progressing to special wizard modes and such is its biggest con.
- EDIT: ST relies on two very tough shots to progress missions and away team which needs to be made very often in the game. This is the game’s biggest con by far as you can sit there for a good minute just trying to get a mission started.

Overall, both need a really good rinse of polish code wise. ST really has a deep thinkers strategy to its ruleset and is overall the way better game. ST rules are simple up front, shoot colored arrows, but have a deep meaning to all the shots and strategies. XMEN is a bit harder to follow but is also more unique in that aspect. Both are great for small collections but the XMEN sound package is irritating and eventually will get to you. ST for the win.

#7 6 years ago

I have STLE and Xmen LE

straight out of the box I would go with ST. X men requires a few mods (newton ball, upgraded speakers ! shaker). With those mods this does get to ge an interesting comparison. The Newton ball mod is a must!

Actually I think ST is the better of the two looking games. That being said the back glass on Magnito is real cool.

I am not a very good player but I do try to learn the basic rules for the games. For rules I have to give the nod to x men. I really like the multi balls, the storm mode is one of my favorites in pinball. ST does have 18 modes with three wizards ( I have only gotten to two). ST does feel more linear to me and I have found Linear games do not stay in my collection. That being said there are a lot of ways to play both games as the games both give you many choices. I am not as advanced a player as others who have commented on the rules so that my sway you as well

Shots are very good in both games tho I find the upper right Flipper has more shots in xmen then ST. I think both games get the rush going. I edge xmen here do to the upper Flipper shots.

ST has some great call outs with the real Dr McCoy providing custom ones for the game. They are a nice feature. I believe the upgraded speakers improve the sound quality of the x men call outs. They do not bother me and there certainly are more of them in Xmen. I read some where some where close to 1000 call outs for the various hero’s/ villains in x men.

Now down to the important issue of price. X men is way under its’ original MSRP and you can get a real nice one in the 4800 to 5200 range. ST premium has to be at least a grand more. Big win here X men.

So factoring it all in , price over rides for me and I would go x men. Best wishes

#8 6 years ago

I think generally speaking we are talking about a 1k price difference. I'm leaning towards Star Trek Premium right now, but honestly it all depends on what pops up for sale near me and what the prices are. I feel like X-Men has more shots on it? I did own a Star Trek Pro a couple years back and the code felt a little bit linear but still fun.

#9 6 years ago

I owned both. ST is gone, but XMLE is still here. They are both very fun games, but I think XMLE offers more bang for the buck. There is so much crap jammed on that playfield. They just don't build LE's like that anymore.

#10 6 years ago

Both have been steadies in my collection for years. Star Trek Premium was demoted to being one of my office while XMen LE remains in my main line up. Both are superb games, hard to pick between them. XMen LE has more interactive toys and better artwork (with a real mirrored backglass) with slightly better dots. The music for both is amazing. Call outs are better on Star Trek and ST flows better. Ball times are way longer on ST than XM, some prefer that some don’t.

#11 6 years ago

Slightly off topic question, what's with the newton ball mod for xmen? I see it on mezzle mods website but trying to figure out what it's supposed to do better. I see a switch so it probably scores the hit to the wolverine toy, but does it replace the wolverine toy or in addition to? Does it make for a better faster ball return from that hit? Is drilling holes for posts in the playfield needed? Thanks

#12 6 years ago

The Newton ball mod replaces the Wolverine. You can see the shots better and the beast shot in particular is better. You hit the newton ball to score the wolverine shot versus hitting wolverine. I think the wolverine figure is a tad too much visually so removing him all together improves the play field look in my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boynton Beach, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-premium-vs-x-men-le-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.