Topic poll

“What would you rather own?”

• Star Trek Premium 43 votes
    62%
  • X-Men LE 26 votes
    38%

(69 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Still thinking about X-Men LE if one pops up near me under 5k. Also considering Star Trek Premium. I owned Star Trek Pro for about 6 months, that was about 2 years ago. I did enjoy the pin a lot, and it had the newest code on it. I do remember thinking the code was a little stale, like the modes were all so similar. There is more depth to the code when I watched some youtube videos explaining it, it is a bit confusing though. I miss Star Trek Pro though and always regretted selling it, I loved all the shots on the table and the warp ramp shot is 2nd to NONE. This time around I'd definitely go for a Premium for the lightshow/laser lights, etc. What does everyone think that has owned both of these pins?

#2 6 years ago

Rules are better on xmen. Everything else is better on ST

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Rules are better on xmen. Everything else is better on ST

That's kind of my thinking too. I've never actually played X-Men though. If Lyman had coded Star Trek it would have been Stern's best.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

That's kind of my thinking too. I've never actually played X-Men though. If Lyman had coded Star Trek it would have been Stern's best.

Xmen is a fun shooter. I prefer the pro for gameplay and flow, but the LE has a sweet light show and the spinning disk magnet. The oversized wolverine really is the worst thing about the overall design, if you can find one with the captive ball replacement mod, it may be worth trying out. My 2 favorite upper ramp shots in pinball ironically are ST warp ramp and xmen storm shot. Both feel great. Besides danger room, the multiballs in xmen are a bit underwhelming and not very fun. I prefer ST over xmen, but i feel everyone should give xmen a shot at some point in time - There's some hidden magic in that game but it doesn't come often.

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

Is it me or I feel to do the same at each modes on ST?
Each modes, MB, wizard modes you need to shoot the same shots, all shots ( once on vengeance MB or twice on Klingon MB) or some of them in the modes. 3 levels modes that are pretty on the same pattern so it adds this repetitive effect.
Does anyone feel the same?

So I will go for xmen.

#6 6 years ago

Star trek is so fun to shoot but I am wondering too about code. Is it deeper than it seems on the surface?

#7 6 years ago

The key to ST is to play it "correctly." That means, don't play Level 1 modes one after another. It's always best to dig 3 down on whichever level you start with. This will lock in a shot multiplier for the rest of the game, and it keeps the modes from feeling too similar, as L2/L3 modes are usually better. I like Nero 1/2/3 the best, but also go with Klingon Battle about as much. Those give you the two best shot multipliers and are also generally the most fun trio of modes. After that I like to just mix it up. DtD 1 is fun with the left orbit shot multiplier locked in, and you can start Away Team (galactic spinner). Top that with double scoring and your head explodes with fun. You can actually combo the left orbit over and over with slap shots if you do it right. And don't forget to bring in the Vengeance modes every now and then (I tend to forget, myself) because you need EB on V2, and multiball on V1 can help finish modes.

Can't hep with X-Men...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

The key to ST is to play it "correctly." That means, don't play Level 1 modes one after another. It's always best to dig 3 down on whichever level you start with. This will lock in a shot multiplier for the rest of the game, and it keeps the modes from feeling too similar, as L2/L3 modes are usually better. I like Nero 1/2/3 the best, but also go with Klingon Battle about as much. Those give you the two best shot multipliers and are also generally the most fun trio of modes. After that I like to just mix it up. DtD 1 is fun with the left orbit shot multiplier locked in, and you can start Away Team (galactic spinner). Top that with double scoring and your head explodes with fun. You can actually combo the left orbit over and over with slap shots if you do it right. And don't forget to bring in the Vengeance modes every now and then (I tend to forget, myself) because you need EB on V2, and multiball on V1 can help finish modes.
Can't hep with X-Men...

Interesting.
When you complete the 3 levels of one mode, which shot multiplier is locked?

How you get EB?
One is when you make warp ramp 3 times. Another one when you defeat vengeance. Another one?

When you complete Klingon MB, what happens? It missed me one shot the other day.

(maybe I need to set my game with 5 balls, as I only manage to do half of the game with 3 balls)

#9 6 years ago

Trek Premium isn't 3k+ bucks better than XMLE.

#10 6 years ago

I like these two game a lot and I think you'll be happy with either

but I prefer the pros on both games

it sounds like you want the xmen more so I say go with that. Plus for 5k its a better deal then a stprem. The modes on trek do feel to similar

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Interesting.
When you complete the 3 levels of one mode, which shot multiplier is locked?
How you get EB?
One is when you make warp ramp 3 times. Another one when you defeat vengeance. Another one?
When you complete Klingon MB, what happens? It missed me one shot the other day.
(maybe I need to set my game with 5 balls, as I only manage to do half of the game with 3 balls)

Depending on which 3-tier mode you complete depicts which shot multiplier gets lit for the remainder of the game.

EB: From warps & Vengeance 2. There's another mystery blackhole reward one but it seems to light 1 in 100 games

Klingon MB Completion: « Spoiler! Click to reveal. Awesome Light Show, Kick ass Call out, plus a gold medal reward »

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Trek Premium isn't 3k+ bucks better than XMLE.

Hmmm, don't think the difference is 3k? Maybe $1,500?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Can't hep with X-Men...

Wow, best gameplay advice I've read yet.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Hmmm, don't think the difference is 3k? Maybe $1,500?

Probably, but I still think it's valid. I don't think ST is that much better of a game. I will say that if you get one you DEFINITELY want the premium or LE though. It just looks *so* much better...

#15 6 years ago

Have both. Love both but STLE might be my last pin to go. Some people bag on the code but for my level of play it is just so much fun. Helps that my oldest boy and wife love it as well. Family likes XMen it is cool but does not get the love of ST. Plus if you can splurge for an LE I don't think there is a better LE except maybe for Tron.

#16 6 years ago

STLE is the most popular with guests at the house. People gravitate to it more than any other game in my collection. XM is a good pin. There's a few bugs, but I've gotten over it...mostly. I recommend the XMLE over the pro. I like the additional movement on the playfield and the added difficulty it brings. It makes it more interesting for me.

Both games offer choices on how the game will proceed, which is nice. You can choose your modes to a large extent so that you don't have to play the game the same way each time.

#17 6 years ago

I like xmen pro over the LE mainly because I think the moving ramp blocks shots and is too disruptive to the flow. I also don't care for the pop ups. The pro has some of the best flow of any game around. Never played ST prem, but the pro us a greT game too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coos Bay, OR
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-premium-vs-x-men-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.