12 days ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

#2 12 days ago

They're finally charging what it's worth. What a TERRIBLE season. Bad writing, bad acting, bad story, tiny budget. They literally featured a $250 Monoprice 3D printer as a ship replicator in the show without even trying to disguise it. SO BAD.

There was ONE okay episode late in the series, and that was it.

Thankfully they fired the showrunner and now have the 12 Monkeys director doing Season 2.

#3 12 days ago

Is Captain Kirk going to come back and do another series? I think Uhuru and Chekov are still alive.

#4 12 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

They're finally charging what it's worth. What a TERRIBLE season.

I thought it wasn't half bad so far.

#5 12 days ago

Ugh. There's SO much wrong with it. Episode 1 was okay. Had a very TNG vibe, but then as the series went on, the terrible writing became glaring, the acting/directing fell apart, and the miniscule budget became painfully obvious.

That romulan brother/sister acting was so bad, I had to ask if incest was okay in Romulan culture, because the sister's "menacing" mode came across as some kind of sexual thing and I was getting the vibe they were lovers. Also Sexbobom and Rios' chemistry is zero, but they want me to believe they're a legit thing? Nope. They also wasted the ex-borg storyline, essentially.

The episode directed by jonathan frakes was the only real bright spot and CBS was pissed that instead of promoting Picard, he promoted that Discovery was back soon on social media. He knows a turd when he sees one.

#6 12 days ago

I love TNG and found this to be an awesome show. Better continuation of the story than many of the movies.

#7 12 days ago

Had such high hopes for this series, and it turned out to big one big steaming pile. I can't believe people signed off on the garbage writing they put forth.

#8 11 days ago

The first episode filled my heart with joy, I thought finally a Star Trek worth watching. Then the dream ended and turned into a nightmare. Didn't get pass episode 3. Same thing kinda happened with Mandalorian. Not as bad but still lost interest pretty quickly. From the new series Discovery take Captain Pike and his crew and make that into a new show. No PC agenda's or bad attempts at gaining a new youthful audience just good ole style Star trek. Oh Yeah.

#9 11 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Same thing kinda happened with Mandalorian

Mandalorian, while not perfect, was the best Star Wars we have had in a very long time. I thought it was very good.

#10 11 days ago

Hey. It’s only entertainment folks. Why so gloom? Pinmonk you should tell us what you really think. I’ve quite enjoyed it btw. Maybe you should take over and the production value may start to rise.

#11 11 days ago

Maybe my cabin fever is starting to kick in. Ugh

#12 11 days ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Mandalorian, while not perfect, was the best Star Wars we have had in a very long time.

That's a pretty low bar...

#13 11 days ago

I'm a huge Star Trek fan, own 3 of the 4 Star Trek pins, and will always love Star Trek, but let me say this:

Picard sucks ass for all the reasons stated above.

I'm so tired of everything trying to be "dark and edgy" these days. The writing is horrible. They don't set anything up, so you don't give a damn about anything that's supposed to be dramatic. None of it makes any sense and it contradicts itself too often.

Nobody watch this. I want Star Trek to tank so Seth McFarlane and NBC can buy the franchise from CBS. They've had meetings about it before. Hopefully it goes through eventually. McFarlane is a real Trek fan and a talented writer who understands character development.

Until then, I guess we have the Orville to get us through.

#14 11 days ago

You guys are brutal!

I loved TNG, didn't care for the movies too much. I'll give it a watch with a non filtered mind and see what happens.

#15 11 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

I'll give it a watch

NO! Watch something good instead. Rewatch DS9 or TNG.

#16 11 days ago

I got CBS all access to check out Picard...it's not good. The first episode was good.

The Twilight Zone has been pretty good....

#17 11 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

I'll give it a watch with a non filtered mind and see what happens.

Ur filter will get clogged, that's what will happen.
It has zero to do with going in unbiased and unfiltered. Its just not very good.

#18 11 days ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hey. It’s only entertainment folks. Why so gloom? Pinmonk you should tell us what you really think. I’ve quite enjoyed it btw. Maybe you should take over and the production value may start to rise.

I'm pretty sure season 2 is in good hands. 12 Monkeys is excellent, and I expect a significant rise in quality for Picard as a result of the change.

#19 11 days ago

I'm sure it will keep getting better and better. Just surprised it's being nitpicked so much. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Like with anything, you simply cannot please everyone. It's kind of like pizza....Everyone has a favorite I suppose. I think the production value is high on Discovery and Picard both. I'll grant you that TNG has held up pretty well, but there is a lot to criticize about that show too. There were quite a few turd episodes as well as some pretty pathetic sets if you recall

#20 11 days ago
Quoted from TomN:

I'm sure it will keep getting better and better. Just surprised it's being nitpicked so much. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Like with anything, you simply cannot please everyone. It's kind of like pizza....Everyone has a favorite I suppose. I think the production value is high on Discovery and Picard both. I'll grant you that TNG has held up pretty well, but there is a lot to criticize about that show too. There were quite a few turd episodes as well as some pretty pathetic sets if you recall

Picard is almost ALL greenscreen with virtual sets. TNG had almost all practical sets that looked great for the most part. Lots more action, too. Picard is "talk too long in this room," then change the greenscreen and talk in a "new" room, rinse, repeat. Also, the forced-in swearing is jarring. I'm okay if a swear fits and the dialogue flows around it, but it just doesn't in Picard. It wouldn't be so bad if Picard production didn't look cheap as hell and the writing wasn't so atrocious, but it does and it is.

I love a good sci-fi show, and I love Star Trek, but Picard is a bad Star Trek. If Jonathan Frakes won't promote an episode HE DIRECTED (which is the best in a very bad season), that's bad.

#21 11 days ago

I would rank it right up there with the best TNG episodes Best of Both Worlds and the Inner Light. And it even pays respects to those episodes in the show

#22 11 days ago

Well, we're on episode 3 and really enjoying it so far! I guess I don't get as worked up about tv shows as some. I am a huge
Next Gen fan, and find the series Picard to be a fun watch. I like the inclusion of the Borg reclamation project and just enough nods to
TNG. However, I don't think they needed 3 Earl Grey references in the first 2 episodes. But...excited to see what happens next. Engage!

#23 10 days ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Until then, I guess we have the Orville to get us through.

which is moving to Hulu for season 3 .. in another note, CBS streaming - other than free trials to binge a show, anyone paying for this?

#24 10 days ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

which is moving to Hulu for season 3 .. in another note, CBS streaming - other than free trials to binge a show, anyone paying for this?

I am, but only for a short amount of time, then I cancel and move on to something else. There is no penalty or term requirement so why not? I have three that I keep and everything else gets changed depending on the shows I want to watch.

#25 10 days ago

The only complaint for me would the F Bombs in some episodes. While that word I use daily, it isn't really needed in a Star Trek series.

#26 10 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Picard is almost ALL greenscreen with virtual sets. TNG had almost all practical sets that looked great for the most part. Lots more action, too. Picard is "talk too long in this room," then change the greenscreen and talk in a "new" room, rinse, repeat. Also, the forced-in swearing is jarring. I'm okay if a swear fits and the dialogue flows around it, but it just doesn't in Picard. It wouldn't be so bad if Picard production didn't look cheap as hell and the writing wasn't so atrocious, but it does and it is.
I love a good sci-fi show, and I love Star Trek, but Picard is a bad Star Trek. If Jonathan Frakes won't promote an episode HE DIRECTED (which is the best in a very bad season), that's bad.

Pick one science fiction show done now that doesn't rely heavy on the cgi? What interview did you watch with Frakes? The one that I saw he was very complementary of Patrick Stewart as an actor and the writing...Said it was next level. The TNG sound stage sets were terrible and unrealistic. I could always tell when they used them. It reminded me of a low production Lost in Space episode where you could see the walls. Lol..

The one good thing about this Pandemic is I'm getting caught up on all my tv shows. Have you watched Altered Carbon? That is pretty fun of you're looking for something new. Kind of has a Blade Runner vibe to it.

#27 10 days ago

It's pretty good, I liked how they portrayed 7 of 9. Didn't like how the black chick is the delegated profanity character spouting unnecessary GD's... CBS: "Hey, look how edgy and progressive we are.. making Star Trek more crude, graphic, and un-family friendly! Give us your dollars all ye degenerates!".

#28 10 days ago

Finished episode 3. So far it's ok. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes before I decide. Yes, Altered Carbon is great!

#29 8 days ago

Halfway through. It's ok - I'll finish it. I thought TNG was the best of the all the STs, so it's nice to see some of the characters again. It does suffer the same "modernizing" as other shows do nowadays, which has already been mentioned, not much we can about that in this day and age. Each of the new characters feel like a parody of themselves.

What does seem to be missing is that awe in the story as it unfolds, like so many of TNG episodes. This is a modern serial type we see today with surprises and twists.

Seven of Nine was really good, but the two early scenes with Data in it were the best. Those were wonderful and while Brent Spiner looks older, it was just like it was 25 years ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 49.95
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 18.95
$ 22.00
$ 27.99
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.50
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 149.00
€ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside