394799.jpg
sttng sol37.jpg
F112-103.PNG
392596-i-17.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

Just took another look at the optos. It seems to me like they're all working unless I'm looking at something incorrectly:

IMG_0358.jpgIMG_0358.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 2.57.18 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-18 at 2.57.18 PM.png

I also took a video of the two under playfield diverters firing:

#102 8 years ago

Picture of display + 2 video's look like everything works as it should. Only one switch - #16 left return lane - is closed as it shouldn't.

Maybe a picture of display from switch-test directly after loading goes wrong will give more information.
So, start machine, load 6 balls into trough and let machine load the 3 locks. From the moment it spits the first ball back, enter the switch-edges and see where the balls are located.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Picture of display + 2 video's look like everything works as it should. Only one switch - #16 left return lane - is closed as it shouldn't.
Maybe a picture of display from switch-test directly after loading goes wrong will give more information.
So, start machine, load 6 balls into trough and let machine load the 3 locks. From the moment it spits the first ball back, enter the switch-edges and see where the balls are located.

Took a video of this process. Hopefully this is what you meant:

#104 8 years ago

Yes, that is what I meant.
Still got the idea that one diverter is longer activated than normal, maybe someone with a ST:tNG can verify this.
besides that, everything looks normal.
I'm little bit out of ideas here.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Yes, that is what I meant.
Still got the idea that one diverter is longer activated than normal, maybe someone with a ST:TNG can verify this.
besides that, everything looks normal.
I'm little bit out of ideas here.

Yeah, this is a strange one to me. It seems like the right cannon is never being loaded.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

It seems like the right cannon is never being loaded.

Yes, hope someone can tell the order of loading the locks

#107 8 years ago

I believe the correct ball loading sequence should be:

1. Right gun
2. Left gun
3. Left popper

And 3 balls remaining in the through.

It's possible though if ball #1 is ending up in the Left gun it's still accepted, and the system tries again loading a ball to the Right gun. To me it seems that that #2 ball is ending up in the Left popper and therefor gets rejected. So something is preventing balls going to either Left or Right gun.

You should be able to watch this action through the coin door and see if the coil triggering seems normal. To load a ball to the Right gun the inner diverter (as seen from the coin door) must work properly, for the Left gun it's the diverter closets to you. The Timing is rather critical and the coils must engage long enough for the balls to be diverted to correct destination.

Another idea would be to try filming the subway and coils action and try to capture the exact moment the ball is diverted, or supposed to be.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from mrq:

I believe the correct ball loading sequence should be:
1. Right gun
2. Left gun
3. Left popper
And 3 balls remaining in the through.
It's possible though if ball #1 is ending up in the Left gun it's still accepted, and the system tries again loading a ball to the Right gun. To me it seems that that #2 ball is ending up in the Left popper and therefor gets rejected. So something is preventing balls going to either Left or Right gun.
You should be able to watch this action through the coin door and see if the coil triggering seems normal. To load a ball to the Right gun the inner diverter (as seen from the coin door) must work properly, for the Left gun it's the diverter closets to you. The Timing is rather critical and the coils must engage long enough for the balls to be diverted to correct destination.
Another idea would be to try filming the subway and coils action and try to capture the exact moment the ball is diverted, or supposed to be.

Tried my luck at filming beneath the playfield. Pretty tricky to get the correct angle but I think this might be the key to my problem! It looks like the Under Playfield TOP Diverter isn't pushing the ball far enough to the right in order for it to load the right cannon. It looks like the ball gets hung up for a second when the coil engages and then keeps dropping down to the left. Is this just a matter of adjusting the angle of the diverter arm? Check out the video:

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

Is this just a matter of adjusting the angle of the diverter arm?

Yeah it should be, probably only a slight adjustment needed.

#110 8 years ago

Thanks mrq for helping !

It looks very much a mechanical problem. seems the ball doesn't want to enter the other direction.

#111 8 years ago

Well gang...The problem is FIXED! It's been a long thread. I've learned a TON in the process and thank you so much to everyone who offered advice and loads of ideas. The Under Playfield Top Diverter was adjusted too far towards the right subway so when the coil fired, the space was not large enough for the ball to pass through. It was getting held up at the junction and then would drop down towards the left after the diverter disengaged.

As a quick recap if anyone else comes across the same issue:

1. Machine got stuck in loop continuously trying to place balls

2. One of the fuses was blown

3. Accidentally overfused with 15A fuse instead of 3A

4. Burnt up Under Playfield Diverter TOP & blew a transistor on the small auxiliary power driver board (original board had some sketchy looking work done to it by previous owner).

5. Replaced Coil & Power Driver Board but problem still persisted including 4 coils not working (Under Diverter Top/Bottom, Drop Up/Down)

6. Found Ball Trough Optos to be faulty as well as cable running from Aux Power Driver Board to main Power Driver Assembly

7. Replaced these and now all coils and switches were operating correctly but balls were still not getting to the right cannon.

8. Turns out that Under Playfield Diverter TOP angle was adjusted incorrectly and would not physically let a ball pass by when it was engaged. Adjusted angle and now it works good as new! Found this out by listening closely after the ball would fall behind the drop target, the diverter coil would engage but you could hear the ball stop. Then once the coil disengaged, you would hear the ball drop to the left. Also, taking a video beneath the playfield during this process helped a bunch.

Thanks again!

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

I've learned a TON in the process

Well done !! Thanks for the final update.

#113 8 years ago

Congrats on the fix!

#114 8 years ago

So it seems that this problem has reared it's head again. I'm sure that the issue is just adjusting the angle of the diverter again, but I can't seem to get it right. I just tried 10 times in a row.

Remove all the balls
Lift the Playfield
Adjust the diverter angle
Lower the playfield
Test
Doesn't work
Repeat

Is there a trick to setting the proper angle of the under playfield diverter?

#115 8 years ago

If plunger is activated by hand, make sure the ball has a smooth path to the other direction.
sttng divert.gifsttng divert.gif

#116 8 years ago

I get the concept behind it, but I just can't seem to get the angle right. It's hard to tell from looking at it since you're looking through a curved piece of plastic. Thanks for the gif though. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'll keep at it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-generation-sttng-locate-ball-problem-stuck-in-loop/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.