pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DSC02427 (resized).JPG
DSC02423 (resized).JPG
DSC02425 (resized).JPG
DSC02426 (resized).JPG
eddy 2 (resized).jpg
eddy 1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_Manuel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Posted in Fall 1994, there is a service modification Williams is suggesting to be done to the Eddy Boards on the Next Generation pinball. SB64 states: Sensor creating False Switch Readings. This is related to a functioning (not a broken Eddy Board). States there is a condition which can exist when the Eddy Sensor is closed, and any opto switch on the same related switch row might change the state. This will add confusion in the game play it appears. The solution is to a board trace and add a 1N4148 diode. Has anyone seen this or done this??? Has anyone experienced the problem? I am completely restored a Next Generation machine, and doing a deep dive to make the machine perfect. Please share your thoughts and ideas. Eric

eddy 1 (resized).jpgeddy 1 (resized).jpgeddy 2 (resized).jpgeddy 2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4 3 years ago

Interesting thing, AFTER finding this service mod, and getting confused my boards were not looking like there service diagram, I looked up my board numbers. The boards SEEM to be from a Twilight Zone and don't match the A-16922 number out of the STTNG Manual. I guess I will look up the T Zone and see if they did a mod on that board.

#6 3 years ago

Can you tell by looking at these photos, if this board needs the modification Williams is describing? Appreciate your help. This appears to be a different board than in the Service Bulletin, and I couldn't find anything about needing the modification when looking into the TZ Service Bulletins. My OCD is driving me crazy on this.

DSC02423 (resized).JPGDSC02423 (resized).JPGDSC02425 (resized).JPGDSC02425 (resized).JPGDSC02426 (resized).JPGDSC02426 (resized).JPGDSC02427 (resized).JPGDSC02427 (resized).JPG
#8 3 years ago

Agree with you. I see Q3 on that board, and mine doesn't have one. So somewhere along the way, somebody swapped out (2) of the boards in my STTNG with TZ board. My boards work in the machine. I place the ball over the sensor, and check the switch edges, and confirm operation.

SO. my next question may not matter. Does the machine NEED the original boards to work, or since the TZ boards are in there, and the electrical design is different, there isn't any issue to fix??

thank you by the way for the follow up information
Eric

#11 3 years ago

wow, I think you deserve a degree with all this amazing detective work. The entire reason I brought this topic up, is because I am rebuilding a STTNG almost from the ground up. And as you all know, this machine lives or dies with how the optos work. Since the original fix in the service manual determines there
"could" be a problem, my OCD kicked in thinking there was a "fix" needed. As one person wrote, there has been multiple versions of a board which do the same task. Why there are multiple versions is beyond me.

Can't thank you enough for your sherlock Holmes work to shed needed life on this issue. Having had this machine once before, I know how flaky the optos "can" be. I replace ALL of the boards in the game (working or not) with all new. (16) sets AND a new version on the opto board. (that's 128 tiny solder locations). Also replaced the 7 opto trough boards with the new design.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 64.99
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_Manuel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-generation-eddy-board-service-bulletin?tu=Eric_Manuel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.