(Topic ID: 172607)

Star Trek Next Generation - Cannon Red Domes?

By halomojo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8304 (resized).JPG
cannon 2 (resized).jpg
stmod1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My STTNG has the flat gel inserts on the top of the cannons instead of the red domes. Is this an easy part to swap out, or do you need to disassemble the entire cannon? I'm out state for a few days otherwise I'd look myself. Trying to have some parts waiting for me when I get home.

I think this is the part: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8662-9

I've seen that other folks suggest the laser mod for the cannons, but I'm really just looking for the domes. Thanks!

stmod1 (resized).jpgstmod1 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Yes that mini flasher dome is what you need.
You may have to enlarge the hole with a dremel a tad for it to fit.

#3 7 years ago

bballfan is correct. Domes are aftermarket upgrades... only the protos had them.
It's easy-ish to replace. You remove the cannon cover and then have access to the gel insert.
On mine I found that the push nuts holding the gels in place were impossible to remove.
So be prepared to have to glue the domes in place. (I had to).

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

On mine I found that the push nuts holding the gels in place were impossible to remove.

As per design, these will not come off without breaking the little plastic post. Fortunately, you can just drop the dome on the posts and glue it in with a little hot glue. I didn't bother trying to enlarge the holes for the domes since they looked good by just dropping them in.

#5 7 years ago

Awesome info. Thanks a bunch. I'll give these a shot.

#6 7 years ago

Hello, this is Mick Rogala the inventor and the designer for the STTNG laser cannon kit. Just so everyone knows, I also offer for sale the new enhanced covers with the red domes for only $39.95 a pair plus shipping. These were originally designed and manufactured for my laser assembly, but are also a great replacement for anyone that wants to replace their old, damaged and dulled in color cannon covers. I have made the cannon covers with a bit more detail to the original design as shown, (raised cannon details), and of course the molded in area for the ability to insert my laser assembly....

I haven't advertised, but I also offer green and clear domes if wanted.

Just thought that I would share for those that did not know....

http://www.mickspinball.com/parts.html

cannon 2 (resized).jpgcannon 2 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

only the protos had them.

Don't think my German reimport with domes is a proto, and they're definitely not aftermarket, early sample I guess?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Don't think my German reimport with domes is a proto, and they're definitely not aftermarket, early sample I guess?

Maybe. Did you buy it NIB; or was there a previous owner who might have installed them.
I forget where I saw it; but it has been reported that WMS removed the domes in production machines to cut costs.

Mick, good to see you here. Are those kits complete with the "line" prisms so a line shows up on the PF?
I think I bought the new style Cannon Covers... I just haven't "upgraded" to the laser because I haven't really seen a video with your product in action. Do you offer lasers in colors other than Red?

#9 7 years ago

Some proto STTNG with domes were converted to be used as samples for testing use.
Some samples had domes based on installed parts available direct from the factory, as they were waiting for the parts shipments for the production games, and wanted to get samples out to test.

My STTNG is a sample with domes that was shipped overseas to Germany for market evaluation.
I bought the game in 1998 while stationed overseas direct from the operator after it was turned into a route game.
It is also not a converted prototype, based on boards, prototype comparisons, and design production knowledge of the game.

Ah, Mick, I remember that Robby the Robot topper kit!
Nifty laser kit, I might install one.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks guys....I haven't researched the latest pricing for the green lasers but they were very expensive years ago when I started this project, in fact my cost for the red lasers keeps going up...No on the prism line, just a dot but if you lower the laser beam it does show a red line up, the playfield.

Ah yes the Robby Topper that I made awhile back, I still have one Trendline robot on hand but never made another kit with it, if anyone is interested in buying just it, please let me know.....

Here is a link to the page that has a video of the laser kit installed..

http://mickspinball.com/trek.html#-

IMG_8304 (resized).JPGIMG_8304 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-generation-cannon-red-domes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.