Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pone-Tone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey all, sttng when started launches a second ball right after i launch the first one, and this happens each subsequent time i launch one; not sure where to start looking on this...

#4 7 years ago

Do you have 7 balls in by mistake?

If not, probably trough optos. I got sick of dealing with that on my sttng and bought the Great Lakes modular trough boards.

#5 7 years ago

I had a problem with AcDc where the game would stop while the ball was still on the PF (did not drain). I just unplugged and re seated the ball trough thingie. Seemed to work no soldering required.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-drains-mid-game?responsive=0

#6 7 years ago

PS

I thought this was a Stern ST so I have no idea but might still be something with the ball trough.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Pone-Tone:

Hey all, sttng when started launches a second ball right after i launch the first one, and this happens each subsequent time i launch one; not sure where to start looking on this...

Free multiballs! But if you don't like the multiballs its going to be a ball trough problem. This is actually very easy to fix/identify, first remove all the balls, then go into switch test. With no balls in the game switches 61-66 should all read closed, if one doesn't its not working. Next, drop all 6 balls into the ball trough; switches 61-66 should all change to open, if one doesn't change, it's bad.

If I was a betting man, I'd go all in on Switch 63 not working.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks, will look at the optos in the trough when i get to work tomorrow and report back

#9 7 years ago

So, all the trough opto switches checked out 61-66, switch 67 trough up worked, & 68 shooter switch worked in test mode; solenoids for getting the ball from trough to chute worked too in test mode; unhooked harness for switches 67,68 examined pins, plugged them back in and 'poof' its only loading one ball again like it should; Then...While playing a game noticed it wont load a ball into the left phaser, just diverts it down the other chute, when the game is over one of the solenoids under that phaser keeps popping over & over like it does in test mode; are these problems related possibly? If so where should i start digging?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Pone-Tone:

So, all the trough opto switches checked out 61-66, switch 67 trough up worked, & 68 shooter switch worked in test mode; solenoids for getting the ball from trough to chute worked too in test mode; unhooked harness for switches 67,68 examined pins, plugged them back in and 'poof' its only loading one ball again like it should

This will likely return, could be a bad solder connection, the trough boards are subjected to to a lot of shock and vibrations.

Quoted from Pone-Tone:

Then...While playing a game noticed it wont load a ball into the left phaser, just diverts it down the other chute

This is usually caused by a broken coil wire or a stuck diverter mechanism, there are subway diverter tests accessed through the test menu, you should be able to hear these when the fire. The diverters are metal-metal contact and were greased at the factory. This grease being 20+ years old will gum up and keep the diverter from operating properly. Dissemble, clean with your choice of cleaner and reassemble. I do re-lubricate these with a tiny bit of Super Lube PTFE grease.

Quoted from Pone-Tone:

when the game is over one of the solenoids under that phaser keeps popping over & over like it does in test mode

This is likely opto related, either in the subway or one of the VUK's ... as before, remove all the balls and see which switches read closed (there will be many) Please take a picture of the switch matrix (with all balls removed) and post it.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks! Will report back w pics

#12 7 years ago

Another issue with the subway diverters not working properly is caused by an intermittent data connection to the 8 channel daughterboard on this Superpin. Check that 8 channel board (upper right in the backbox) and make sure the data line connection is solid.

#13 7 years ago

The ball still wont pop up in the left phaser. In the test menu it was unresponsive so I checked to see if the diverter was stuck manually by moving the solenoid piston. It moves fine, not a lubrication issue, but it did give me a small shock. In the name of science i moved it again and same thing. Short maybe?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 64.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 63.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-gen-randomly-launches-new-balls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.