image (resized).jpg
IMG_4581 (resized).JPG
IMG_4582 (resized).JPG
IMG_4580 (resized).JPG
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jbo324.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

This is a pretty new machine and restored beautifully. I was playing and the ball got stuck somewhere and the game went a little haywire for a bit. I turned off the machine and a big red light came on in the top right corner. The game will turn on but won't launch and just searches for balls constantly but they're in the thing next to the launcher. Any idea what went wrong?

Edit: so it seems the machine can't locate any balls or launch from anywhere other than the moving launchers. It got to Borg mode and wouldn't launch the multiball. I got the balls on the play field manually since the first launcher doesn't seem to be working. The test report says the spinner f7 is a problem but everything else seems okay.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Do you have all 6 balls accounted for? If not, maybe 1 is stuck somewhere and is just going into search mode. If you have all balls accounted for then it is an opto or maybe damage on CPU board. Do you have acid damage on CPU? I think maybe opto issue. Go into test mode and check switches.

All the balls are there. I'm very new to this so sorry if I ask very stupid questions. I reset factory settings and the problem persists. I can get to the switch test but how do I actually do the test? What do you mean Opto? The cpu looks fine to me.

Okay, so I've managed to find all the balls but I think it has something to do with the ball trough.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

So I'm going to try and test the trough but I have found something troubling. I managed to do the solenoid test and the following aren't making any noise during the test which means they're messed up? The knocker, left sling, right sling, left jet, right jet, bottom jet, trough top divertor and Borg kicker don't make any noise during the solenoid test. The other tests seem to be running fine.

#12 7 years ago

Under l l.lock sw2 is open in the switch test. Is it supposed to be? The coils 7-16 with the exception of 8 aren't working even with that white button pressed. A blown fuse. Looking for it.

#15 7 years ago

Which Opto? Again new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question. Here's the fuse. Looks blown. Where can I get a new one? Should it just pop out?

#18 7 years ago

Awesome, thanks guys. About to head to the store. So in regards to optos. The manual has this diagram. Does that mean the under l.lock sw2 should be closed?

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Thanks guys! Replaced the fuse now everything is back to normal. The under l lock sw2 is closed again as well which means it's not a problem? I can't believe it. My first repair. Really couldn't have done it without you. I get so stressed when the machines mess up.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

The opto could be intermittent. I'd keep an eye on it now that you know it's acted up.

Okay, one more thing. After I restarted the game, there was a weird smell. I double checked the fuse and it was fine. Then checked the bottom of the playing field and found this. im guessing this is burned out and prob has something to do with the Opto you were talking about? The smell seems to be coming from some oilish substance around the thing. Also, is this just black because it's black or burned def not the same color as the others. Where would I order a replacement part for this? What would the part number be?

IMG_4580 (resized).JPGIMG_4580 (resized).JPG

IMG_4582 (resized).JPGIMG_4582 (resized).JPG

IMG_4581 (resized).JPGIMG_4581 (resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

STNG owners should remove those three wires, solder them together and to a single wire, and solder the single wire to the drop target coil lug. That way if the single wire breaks off, the other three are still connected and you don't burn stuff up.
LTG : )

So you think the burning is coming from that wire?

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
That thin wire breaks off, a back surge of electricity took out a transistor and some parts on that board I mentioned, and locked the coil on and burned your coil into uselessness.
LTG : )

Is this the Board you were talking about in the last post? Any idea about the level of diffficulty of fixing this?
Things I would need to replace would be the coil, the transistor and?

#31 7 years ago

I'll get the part, a meter reader and then go from there! Will update as I progress.

#32 7 years ago

What could have caused this problem? Isn't there an underlying issue typically?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jbo324.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-gen-issue?tu=jbo324 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.