View topic image gallery

IMG_3340 (resized).JPG
IMG_3339 (resized).JPG
IMG_3338 (resized).JPG
V6aqCD7%Tu6hWK7FjOiw7A (resized).jpg
IMG_3332 (resized).jpg
IMG_0448 (resized).JPG
IMG_1627 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I restored that game in 2006?12 years ago so there weren’t any Rottendog driver boards at that time but I do see in the picture that it looks like the CPU is not booting.
Try reseating the ribbon cables and other connections between the driver and CPU.
From what I can tell that small ribbon cable might be upside down if the red stripe isn’t on the bottom.

Edited that. Talking about the small ribbon that goes from the driver to the CPU. Also make sure none are a row off.

#4 5 years ago

Yes. Nothing is going to happen until the CPU boots up
The CPU LEDs are all three solid.
When it boots the sequence is different.
One stays on one blinks and the other is off.
Why the CPU isn’t booting at power up can be isolated be as simple as a ribbon cable or other connector being off or more complex if there is a problem with the CPU itself.

#7 5 years ago

The ribbon cable is one row off. Look at the picture

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Ha! You got me! I even pulled that off and put it back on. OK, so now when I power up I actually got some lights and sounds - but it does

It is intermittently booting.
When it boots the LED sequence on the CPU is correct and the lights come on then it cuts out.
You may have a low voltage situation or might just need to fish around a bit more with the connectors.
It is probably something simple but I have seen problems like this trace all the way back to to wiring and power service in the home itself.
Might be worth getting the Kahr reset fix since you stated that was a prior issue.

#14 5 years ago

The ground is fine. It looks like it has a newer style plastic speaker panel(WPC-95)so nothing to ground there.
Normally there would be a metal channel which is what the ground braid originally went to.
It's been 12 years but I never like to see anything I worked on in distress if I can help.
Since you are starting to make some progress and mention the sound recheck the ribbon cable that runs from the CPU,to the Fliptronic,sound and dot controller.
That might be suspect as well.
You now know what to look for in terms of proper placement of the ribbon cable and it can be really hard to spot sometimes.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

<Sigh> I will never agree with this method of a "fix" You already have a new power board, this leaves only the connector to the power board, the Z connectors, the connector at J210 of the CPU and the J210 header pins 4 and 5 as potential problems.
Reflow J201 pins 4 and 5 and re-punch the CPU power IDC connectors at all 4 points and you will likely be fine.
WARNING: a rant is coming...
FWIW, my STTNG is running on the original 25 year old PDB, with the original capacitors and all original wiring ... including the Z connectors that a lot of folks bypass. The machine was engineered to run this way, and it's not a design flaw as these machines didn't random reboot when they were new, and there is no reason they should require a hack to work now!

I agree on some level and do not install them on games here but what I have found is that there are power grid problems in some homes that just require it.
I sent a famous actor two games
One was a WPC and the other a WPC-95
both with freshly serviced driver boards and fully tested.
First thing he says is that they look great but both “shut down” when he is playing them.
Long story short he did not have the voltage present at the wall to keep the games from resetting. It was verified by an electrician.
Another time I personally delivered a TAF to a local in the winter same and he was trouble free then once summer came around he started asking about resets.
It was the power draw of his A/C system dipping the voltage. Installed the fix and never heard from him again.
This is what you may not be considering when thinking of the application of the Kahr as a hack. It is something I have experienced several times and all times this was the best and easiest solution if you live in a trouble spot. Some do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods
Toppers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider High_End_Pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-gen-dead-and-adrift-sending-distress-signal?tu=High_End_Pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.